Home
Madden NFL 17 News Post

A new Madden NFL 17 blog has just arrived going over many new details on the running game, including special moves, takeout interaction system and much more.

Quote:
"Madden NFL 17 will feature a broad cast of new Ball Carrier mechanics to keep all Madden players engaged, from beginners to the hard core. Using modifiers, there are now four unique tactics available to customize the running game. In combination with the Fakeout Interactions, all carry their own risks and rewards. The four special-move types are: Standard, Speed (RT/R2), Precision (LT/L2) & Steerable (RT/R2 + LT/L2)."

I won't lie, I'm worried some of this stuff is getting a bit too complicated (think: fighting games and their convoluted control schemes) -- as there are a lot of different combinations to now memorize. Thankfully, the Madden team has thought about this with a couple of smart design decisions.

Quote:
"There’s some new tools available in Madden NFL 17 to make the user a better and more creative ball carrier, including recommended special-move prompts, projected path indicator, special-move feedback text and a setting-specific ball-carrier threat cone."

This will obviously be something which is able to be toggle on/off (On by default in Rookie/Pro modes). This on-screen feedback will help you figure out what you are doing right and wrong which should, in theory, make you better at using the moves. That's a nice little touch.

NOTE: Tackle Battle is on for all difficulty levels with no way to turn it off.

Quote:
"There are three unique ways to experience running the ball via the Ball Carrier Special Moves setting, which allows the user to customize the ground-game experience to his or her own liking (Auto, Assist, Manual)"

These three settings will allow anyone to take advantage of the new moves and not feel overwhelmed. Auto will be what it sounds like, the AI will make the moves as you simply steer the player. Assist will be a nice mix between full manual and full auto control.

The special moves sound like they're taking every level of Madden user into account, which makes them more appealing on the surface. What do you think? Read the full post and leave a comment below!

Source - Madden NFL 17 Gameplay Deep Dive - Ball Carrier Special Moves

Game: Madden NFL 17Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 17 - View All
Member Comments
# 161 Playmakers @ 05/22/16 02:20 AM
I read somewhere that AI is finally suppose to be able to utilize all the moves a human can use

I hope that holds up to be true because it's been a long time coming where a Madden game had a CPU AI ball carrier behave in a manner that his ratings would dictate...

For example a shifty back in Madden was never really represented properly IMO....those guys ran just the same as a BIG physical down hill runner

The special teams was boring as hell because there was no attempt by AI returners to juke or elude that much....

I think a lot of this stuff goes unnoticed because we tend only pay special attention to players we control on the field....

Would love to have the developers spend quality time on figuring out how they can finally get the AI players to show case their skills especially if they are rated highly other wise a 90+ rating is meaningless if the AI doesn't behave accordingly on the field.

My jaws would drop if I seen something similar to a occasional Barry Sanders type reverse field run the by AI

# 162 OhMrHanky @ 05/22/16 07:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBleedingRed21
Shame some of you are so quick to complain without even seeing or hearing more of a feature. Some of the absurd hyperbole statements about it is just ridiculous.

If and when more info on it is released, then we can pass judgement. As I stated before, the way this series has shifted in last few years, this dev team has earned our patience.

Yeah, I think what people don't like about it is simply the 'button prompt'. I, personally, do not like ANY button prompts cluttering my screen and removing the 'immersion'. The idea of a quick tackle battle the way it has been explained so far doesn't bother me at all. But, I turn ALL button prompts off because, if at all possible, I do not want to be 'reminded' that I am playing a video game. As an example, Destiny just updated an option to play their shooter with NO HUD. I LOVE IT!!! No radar, no 'on screen clutter', so u 'feel as if you're there' and 'not playing a video game', if that makes sense. But, u sacrifice some important 'game information', so it canNOT be used all the time. So, I think the 'immersion' piece of this is what some don't like. We all 'know' we are playing a football 'video game'. But, we play this 'video game' to feel like we are 'really playing football'. So, again, it's the immersion piece that bothers me. And, honestly, when u play this way (wanting full immersion), u already know that any random button prompt is going to 'bug' u. Lol. Otherwise, I am all for having a little extra control in breaking tackles.

# 163 jpdavis82 @ 05/22/16 08:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmakers
I read somewhere that AI is finally suppose to be able to utilize all the moves a human can use

I hope that holds up to be true because it's been a long time coming where a Madden game had a CPU AI ball carrier behave in a manner that his ratings would dictate...

For example a shifty back in Madden was never really represented properly IMO....those guys ran just the same as a BIG physical down hill runner

The special teams was boring as hell because there was no attempt by AI returners to juke or elude that much....

I think a lot of this stuff goes unnoticed because we tend only pay special attention to players we control on the field....

Would love to have the developers spend quality time on figuring out how they can finally get the AI players to show case their skills especially if they are rated highly other wise a 90+ rating is meaningless if the AI doesn't behave accordingly on the field.

My jaws would drop if I seen something similar to a occasional Barry Sanders type reverse field run the by AI

Yes Clint confirmed that the AI will have all the ball carrier special moves, as well as run fits AI.

# 164 OhMrHanky @ 05/22/16 08:20 AM
I do like the smitty deep dive video where he mentions the complexity of controls already present in other sports game like NBA 2k. I hadn't played that game for a few years, and decided to try it out recently, and was like, 'what the heck are all these controls?!' Lol. But, in the end, more controls are good. More controls = more user options. So, while I was initially concerned with the extra running controls like the 'steerable moves' with LT+RT+special move and how they will play out, simfootballcritic makes a good point that madden controls are about the simplest controls out there! The running options have been bare bones for years, so it they wanna fine tune it and give users extra control, I think I am onboard for that. Again, the implementation will be important, and I hope it 'feels right' to use precision vs speed vs steerable. I've had issues in the past with Prec mod in that I do NOT want to 'slow down' to truck someone. So, for me, I think their 'precision idea' is a little 'off'. But, I like the specifics they're giving about the number of defenders involved. This makes sense in that I often wish to use a 'speed truck' because I am normally engaging 1 defender, so that may become my main move. But, if I see 2+ defenders, I'll make the adjustment to Prec mod to slow down and gather myself to set up a 'controlled truck' to really plow 2 defenders, possibly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 165 Allball76 @ 05/22/16 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMrHanky
I do like the smitty deep dive video where he mentions the complexity of controls already present in other sports game like NBA 2k. I hadn't played that game for a few years, and decided to try it out recently, and was like, 'what the heck are all these controls?!' Lol. But, in the end, more controls are good. More controls = more user options. So, while I was initially concerned with the extra running controls like the 'steerable moves' with LT+RT+special move and how they will play out, simfootballcritic makes a good point that madden controls are about the simplest controls out there! The running options have been bare bones for years, so it they wanna fine tune it and give users extra control, I think I am onboard for that. Again, the implementation will be important, and I hope it 'feels right' to use precision vs speed vs steerable. I've had issues in the past with Prec mod in that I do NOT want to 'slow down' to truck someone. So, for me, I think their 'precision idea' is a little 'off'. But, I like the specifics they're giving about the number of defenders involved. This makes sense in that I often wish to use a 'speed truck' because I am normally engaging 1 defender, so that may become my main move. But, if I see 2+ defenders, I'll make the adjustment to Prec mod to slow down and gather myself to set up a 'controlled truck' to really plow 2 defenders, possibly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes move wise its been basic when other games have much better details in there moves . But its the same with Simulation Fifa, Pes, NBA2K, The Show all have Simulation modes , Simulation Roster ratings ! Madden Must move on from basic/Arcade ! Keep a casual mode and then add a Simulation/hardcore mode !

Check these Video out for more info :

SimFBallCritic :

Madden 17 Tackle Battles | How Does It Work?

https://youtu.be/cDDihpwMuFM

Madden 17 Run Fits, Defensive Gaps, Ball Carrier Moves Deep Dive | Hands On Experience

https://youtu.be/cq5GNHxXMOA

Smitty:
Madden 17: Ground Game Deep Dive Thoughts

https://youtu.be/tNyAD7CIvFs

More great feedback !

# 166 OhioCub @ 05/22/16 11:23 AM
My question is, can you use the auto setting on allpro or allmadden? My knowledge of football is very in depth so I want the more challenging ai and sim style of play but my stick skills suck as I just don't have the time to commit to learning advanced controls.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

# 167 Allball76 @ 05/23/16 03:30 PM
Newest Video out :

Smitty:

Madden 17 Tackle Battles Visual Expectations

https://youtu.be/nfSIyOoVAfg

Check these Video out for more info :

SimFBallCritic :

Madden 17 Tackle Battles | How Does It Work?

https://youtu.be/cDDihpwMuFM

Madden 17 Run Fits, Defensive Gaps, Ball Carrier Moves Deep Dive | Hands On Experience

https://youtu.be/cq5GNHxXMOA

Smitty:
Madden 17: Ground Game Deep Dive Thoughts

https://youtu.be/tNyAD7CIvFs

More great feedback !

# 168 mrprice33 @ 05/23/16 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioCub
My question is, can you use the auto setting on allpro or allmadden? My knowledge of football is very in depth so I want the more challenging ai and sim style of play but my stick skills suck as I just don't have the time to commit to learning advanced controls.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
I think so. I think it's a setting like ballhawk and auto strafe.

# 169 ggsimmonds @ 05/23/16 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBleedingRed21
Shame some of you are so quick to complain without even seeing or hearing more of a feature. Some of the absurd hyperbole statements about it is just ridiculous.

If and when more info on it is released, then we can pass judgement. As I stated before, the way this series has shifted in last few years, this dev team has earned our patience.
Oh please, why does it seem okay to use hyperbole and pass judgement when the judgment is good but when our opinion is negative we should wait until we see it?

Or can I expect you to make a similar reply to someone who exclaims "these improvements look fantastic, this should be the greatest Madden ever!"

# 170 Kgrffth @ 12/19/16 03:58 PM
I got a question, why does my starting running back NOT play in the fourth quarter? I play coach mode and auto sub in and out at 95 and 90. The second string running back plays the entire fourth quarter and when he gets tired the third string running back feels in what's going on?

# 171 iFnotWhyNoT @ 12/19/16 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgrffth
I got a question, why does my starting running back NOT play in the fourth quarter? I play coach mode and auto sub in and out at 95 and 90. The second string running back plays the entire fourth quarter and when he gets tired the third string running back feels in what's going on?
I remember there used to be a auto-subs bug that would make your starter disappear from playing when he eventually got too fatigued. A combination of high fatigue and high auto subs makes the player disappear. Don't remember if it ever got resolved, I'm guessing no. I would lower fatigue or lower your auto subs. Slider makers on this forum have figured out how to get a good balance if you want to check what they each have for fatigue and auto-subs.

# 172 2_headedmonster @ 12/20/16 08:51 PM
since this thread is up.... i hate the slow jukes and canned fake outs of madden 17....

hopefully 18 brings non-canned fake-outs and agg catches

# 173 underdog13 @ 12/20/16 11:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_headedmonster
since this thread is up.... i hate the slow jukes and canned fake outs of madden 17....

hopefully 18 brings non-canned fake-outs and agg catches
Same, miss the old jukes of ps2 madden

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.