Home
Madden NFL 17 News Post

Another Madden NFL 17 blog has just arrived going over defensive gaps, run fits and so much more. This one is filled with great information.

Let's go over a bit:

Quote:
"When implementing the run fits system, we installed it the same way the defensive coordinators install their defenses in the NFL – Alignment, Assignment and Technique – and what this amounts to is every defender on the field having a specific job to do on each play the user calls."

This is a much needed change in the series. For too long we've called defensive plays like they're offensive plays -- which was completely inaccurate. To be moving in a more sim direction is always welcome, especially in an area most every football game hasn't been close to right on since the dawn of gaming.

Quote:
"The AI will automatically flip your defense when the offense flips so that your defense aligns to the proper strength in relation to the offensive formation they are seeing after the huddle break. When your defense has been flipped, you will see visual feedback in the Score HUD to tell you that your defense has been flipped, as well as what part of the defense was flipped (Entire defense, Coverage, Front)."

This is a nice touch and completely awesome (and much welcome).

Quote:
"The next step in the Run-Fits system is Defensive Gap assignments. All defenders, both in the NFL and Madden 17 have a specific responsibility on each play – this includes gap integrity for ‘run-fit’ defenders and coverage responsibility plus run-support for coverage defenders – making the play-calling experience more engaging and strategy-based than in previous iterations. "

This is a great layer that, when combined with the previous assignment/flip options makes for a compelling layer of defensive strategy that you must go into. Compare this to previously calling a play and hot routing defensive players and you can instantly see why this is a huge upgrade.

Quote:
"Just because a defender is assigned to a gap pre-snap doesn’t mean he’s locked to that gap for the remainder of the play. Each defender has AI that allows him to update his gap and react to the war in the trenches to fill the open lanes created by the blockers as the play develops. This AI relies heavily on the Play Recognition Rating.

Based on the PRC rating, defenders will be faster or slower in reading the play and finding the right gap to fill."

I'm not 100% certain how this will fully play out, but it sounds promising and certainly deeper than what we've seen out of Madden when it comes to line play over the past several years. The PRC rating sounds like a nice touch and addition.

For more information on Madden's defensive improvements, including techniques as well as improvements to blocking, check out the full blog post at the link.

Source - Madden 17 Gameplay Deep Dive - Defensive Gaps and Run Fits

Game: Madden NFL 17Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 17 - View All
Member Comments
# 81 Scott @ 05/19/16 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprice33
Just got confirmation from Clint that gap assignments do not change dynamically with changing the alignment of the DL. How does everyone feel about that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Little bit of a let down, but not a huge deal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

# 82 mrprice33 @ 05/19/16 11:50 AM
I think it's to negate potential nanos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 83 mrprice33 @ 05/19/16 12:47 PM
So if you have a DT lined up over the C or OG and they are set to play 2-gap, the game does not dynamically convert them to a 1-gap responsibility if you shift the DL to put them between the C and OG. They'll still attempt to play 2-gap, but from out of position. In most cases this won't be an issue, but I can see a couple of use cases, like on rush downs and with certain blitzes, but my assumption is with blitzes at least that these types of changes are built into the play.

Once the play starts the gap technique remains static, even though the assignment may change. Does that make sense? So if there's a toss to the outside the NT will still play 2-gap to try to fill cutback lanes and make stops. He won't suddenly attack a gap and become a 1-gap player.

# 84 BezO @ 05/19/16 12:55 PM
Quote:
Just got confirmation from Clint that gap assignments do not change dynamically with changing the alignment of the DL. How does everyone feel about that?
This is another reason why we need tiered play calling. As is (from what I remember), similar fronts don't have the same blitz/stunt/coverage/(and now run fit) combinations. So, if I want a 4-3 Over look, but a blitz/stunt/coverage combo only available under 4-3 Under, ehh well. (Similar problem on offense where plays from I Formation are not available with I Weak/Strong).

Maybe they've duplicated combinations throughout all similar fronts since I last played. That would help.

The additions are cool, but very incomplete.

# 85 mrprice33 @ 05/19/16 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
This is another reason why we need tiered play calling. As is (from what I remember), similar fronts don't have the same blitz/stunt/coverage/(and now run fit) combinations. So, if I want a 4-3 Over look, but a blitz/stunt/coverage combo only available under 4-3 Under, ehh well. (Similar problem on offense where plays from I Formation are not available with I Weak/Strong).

Maybe they've duplicated combinations throughout all similar fronts since I last played. That would help.

The additions are cool, but very incomplete.
Certain calls are designed to stop certain things, that's why certain plays don't have force and contain designations, run-first defenders, etc. It's exciting because we're really going to have to learn defensive playbooks, but I can see it being frustrating without more information available at the play call screen.

# 86 mrprice33 @ 05/19/16 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
Here's the thing, as a football layman I can dig the concept of having stock plays to choose from, designed to counter, in theory, anything in the game, so no real need for the User to micromanage. However, I'm wondering for those that do choose to do more User micro management presnap, will that be overpowered, ie still successfully playing Maddenball?

To put it another way, does bypassing/negating the new football based assignment system with manual adjustments, carry a heavy football/play knowledge based risk/reward or can Stick Skills Mcgee, that knows Madden, use it to their unfair advantage?
At least for this specific mechanic, there is no micromanaging. I personally would like some additional control and customization, and I'll be sure to discuss that in our further feedback of 17, but I definitely get from their side that it can very easily break things and become overpowered.

# 87 BezO @ 05/19/16 01:46 PM
Quote:
Certain calls are designed to stop certain things, that's why certain plays don't have force and contain designations, run-first defenders, etc. It's exciting because we're really going to have to learn defensive playbooks, but I can see it being frustrating without more information available at the play call screen.
Not what I'm talking about.

What I'm saying is that each related front; 4-3 base, over, under, for example, varies in what's possible in Madden. Say I want Will Blitz, strong side E/T stunt, Man-Robber, from a 4-3 Over look. That combination may only be available from 4-3 Under. IRL, teams can do the same things from each of those looks.

Not only that, we have to go searching for the combination we have in mind (until we remember where it is) instead of selecting it from a tier system, which would not only be much quicker, it would allow for any doable combination from any front. Madden is severely lacking in front/blitz/stunt/coverage combos in addition to splitting what's available between similar fronts.

# 88 BezO @ 05/19/16 01:47 PM
Big Deal, what's happening?

# 89 mrprice33 @ 05/19/16 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
Not what I'm talking about.

What I'm saying is that each related front; 4-3 base, over, under, for example, varies in what's possible in Madden. Say I want Will Blitz, strong side E/T stunt, Man-Robber, from a 4-3 Over look. That combination may only be available from 4-3 Under. IRL, teams can do the same things from each of those looks.

Not only that, we have to go searching for the combination we have in mind (until we remember where it is) instead of selecting it from a tier system, which would not only be much quicker, it would allow for any doable combination from any front. Madden is severely lacking in front/blitz/stunt/coverage combos in addition to splitting what's available between similar fronts.
Right, which is why I would like to have more information at the play calling screen. There isn't tiered played calling this year so there is going to have to be a time investment into defensive playbooks, was my point.

# 90 Cowboy008 @ 05/19/16 02:02 PM
With all the great work the devs did with gameplay I hope the CFM devs did the same.

# 91 tjd211 @ 05/19/16 02:04 PM
Can we finally put the best cornerback on thw best receiver

# 92 Scott @ 05/19/16 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjd211
Can we finally put the best cornerback on thw best receiver
Defensive match ups have yet to be announced.

# 93 Allball76 @ 05/19/16 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
Defensive match ups have yet to be announced.

There working hard to get it in . They tried to get it in 16.

# 94 howboutdat @ 05/19/16 03:13 PM
This is about the force defender. First glad they are adding it. Second, cant help but wish it was added to the presnap audibles, that you could set a guy to be a force defender. Like say you dont pick a particular play that has one in it in design , but then opponent on offense comes out and your pretty sure its a toss... sure would be nice to be able to audible a guy to become force defender and cut that bs out...

# 95 howboutdat @ 05/19/16 03:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy008
With all the great work the devs did with gameplay I hope the CFM devs did the same.
Also , i totally agree and feel the same way. They obviously put in work on gameplay. Hope to see more than a one major and a few minor things added to CFM.Looking forward to next week.

# 96 Ueauvan @ 05/19/16 03:23 PM
if they add defensive match ups and formation subs/custom packages then for me as a a mainly defensive orientated coach type there is only one thing left ... play design

let me explain, this is offline only. last year and before there were plays like nickel 3-3-5 cover 3 man which isnt there this year. the way i construct my roster is safeties and my 3-4 mlbers have high prc, and zcv before mcv. in m15 the play had cb 1/2 and fs playing deep. what id want is nickel cb and both safeties playing deep, especially if you package s to nickel. imagine if you convert the play where the nickel is actually another lber and lines up as if 3-4 but the play becomes tampa 2 like and the nickel (lb) plays middle deep ...

or there are very few man plays in base 3-4, why not press a button and convert cover 3 sky to cover 3 man for the same formation, versus full house or multi te formation that makes more sense to me

anyhoo sorry to point out stuff that is probably stupid but makes sense to me as a Brit

# 97 Greenblood60 @ 05/19/16 04:04 PM
For the auto flip feature, do the players switch positions or just assignments ? For example, Fletcher Cox is a 3 technique; in a 4-3 over he'll be lined up over the outside shoulder of the guard on the strong side, the right side ( the user's right ) by default. If the offense flips the formation, and the TE is on the left, will Cox line up over the guard on the left side ?

The question would be the same concerning Sam and Will backers. If the offense flips the formation, and the TE is on the left, will the SAM be playing on the left side where the TE is, or will he be on the weak side playing the WILL ?

# 98 mrprice33 @ 05/19/16 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenblood60
For the auto flip feature, do the players switch positions or just assignments ? For example, Fletcher Cox is a 3 technique; in a 4-3 over he'll be lined up over the outside shoulder of the guard on the strong side, the right side ( the user's right ) by default. If the offense flips the formation, and the TE is on the left, will Cox line up over the guard on the left side ?

The question would be the same concerning Sam and Will backers. If the offense flips the formation, and the TE is on the left, will the SAM be playing on the left side where the TE is, or will he be on the weak side playing the WILL ?
No, they only change responsibilities. According to Clint the reasoning is that not every team does that and not in every situation so they couldn't account for every permutation.

# 99 SolidSquid @ 05/19/16 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenblood60

Good question but i don't think so. The devs have said LBs won't flip either just switch assignments

# 100 Cowboy008 @ 05/19/16 07:43 PM
No Defense Assignments

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.