Home
Madden NFL 17 News Post

Game Informer has posted a new Madden NFL 17 article, going over 27 key details that are coming this year. Below are a few notes, but make sure you read the entire article here.

Quote:
For years the ball would snap to a player's hand in a catch even though in the process the ball might be pulled through a defender. Now it will collide with body parts and be knocked out when appropriate.

Since there is no scripting for the path of the ball, it bounces differently after tips. EA made new animations for reacting to tips, attempted and successful fumble recoveries, and knee/ankle/sliding catches. Also, the player models can move their arms better to track the ball.

Here's an example of the new zones in action: The Slant Drag Combo (the TE comes across the middle, and the slot receiver slants over the top) vs. a Cover 3 Sky. This year the linebackers in the Cover 3 Match track the receivers as they come through the defenders' zones. So what looks like a zone defense before the snap shifts to man-to-man as the play develops.

Similarly, defensive pattern matching plays set the rules and responsibilities for defenders. For instance, In a match defense, if you're a linebacker and the number one receiver crosses your face on a slant or drag route, your responsibility is to match him instead of letting him run by. But if the number three receiver goes vertical on that same play, you follow him down the field instead. "It's not the same reads you've been making for the last 25 years, because things play out a lot differently now," Dickson says.

The new kicking meter works like the traditional three-click golf swing. First button press starts the kick, second one sets the power, third one determines accuracy. Through this new meter, ratings for kickers and punters will matter more.

Kick block formations, like overloading one side or clogging the middle, have been added.

New kick types inlcude sky punts, backspin punts, and the return of onside aiming and squib kicks.

Game: Madden NFL 17Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 17 - View All
Member Comments
# 21 dcdreadhead @ 05/18/16 09:09 PM
The ball physics improvements are huge and just add to the immersion. Hopefully the QB animations got addressed as well. Scrambling out of the pocket was stiff and robotic regardless if you were P. Manning or C. Newton. However, last year's hand off animations to the RB was a small addition but a huge improvement that was executed very well.

# 22 SwedishTouch76 @ 05/18/16 09:11 PM
Bought Madden once on the last 6 years. I just can't get into it. So arcadey

# 23 NDAlum @ 05/18/16 09:14 PM

# 24 Aggies7 @ 05/18/16 09:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82
Because you probably didn't know what Rex and Clint were really all about yet and I didn't either until I went down there last year. I'm not surprised by any of these additions as we hypothetically discussed most of them in person. That being said, I expected CFM to get the majority of the love this year but these gameplay additions are potentially game changing.

Still hope that CFM/CFM Presentation is getting the majority of the love. But these gameplay improvements are huge.

# 25 bad_philanthropy @ 05/18/16 09:16 PM
Can't believe all the things that they've changed and implemented this year. This has the potential to cause a ton of issues upon release, but damn am I glad they're trying!

# 26 OhMrHanky @ 05/18/16 09:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhanatic14
So what's the deal with punt return blocking? Still basically non-existent like it's been? The article seemed to say there are no changes to it.

Yeah. I'm hoping the new ball carrier stuff makes kick returns better. It doesn't sound like (yet) they did anything specific to kick return blocking. But, again, I'm hoping the new ball carrier animations/controls simply make it better.

# 27 bxphenom7 @ 05/18/16 09:31 PM
Ok Madden, this year you have my attention. All the info has sounded great, now let's see that execution.

# 28 SolidSquid @ 05/18/16 09:44 PM
This is amazing, no more defying the laws of physics to make catches through players bodies, no more of the same ball pops straight up into the air after you play the man, and hopefully no more ball carrier holding onto the ball while he's holding it behind his back with one hand being tackled

# 29 SincerelYourz @ 05/18/16 09:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdavis82

oh snap !!!! check out Mike Tomlin stepping out onto the field to watch the action!!!

# 30 mrprice33 @ 05/18/16 09:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSquid
This is amazing, no more defying the laws of physics to make catches through players bodies, no more of the same ball pops straight up into the air after you play the man, and hopefully no more ball carrier holding onto the ball while he's holding it behind his back with one hand being tackled

Some of this stuff is still dice roll dependent so it's not fully physics based through and through but it's still so much more dynamic

# 31 SolidSquid @ 05/18/16 10:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprice33
Some of this stuff is still dice roll dependent so it's not fully physics based through and through but it's still so much more dynamic
True but the ball is now independent from animations right? The ball doesn't react the same every time the same animation plays out does it?

# 32 mrprice33 @ 05/18/16 10:06 PM
Quote:
True but the ball is now independent from animations right? The ball doesn't react the same every time the same animation plays out does it?

Correct. But you won't yet see stuff like a helmet hitting the ball on a tackle and it just squirting out. You'll get the dice roll fumbles and strips/hit stick tackles. But once the ball converts to "loose" (ie after the game has determined there's been a fumble), you'll see the physics in action.

# 33 SolidSquid @ 05/18/16 10:08 PM
Quote:
Correct. But you won't yet see stuff like a helmet hitting the ball on a tackle and it just squirting out. You'll get the dice roll fumbles and strips/hit stick tackles. But once the ball converts to "loose" (ie after the game has determined there's been a fumble), you'll see the physics in action.
Hey that's a good start in my book, as long as they keep raising the bar

# 34 mrprice33 @ 05/18/16 10:11 PM
I wonder if we'll ever get that or physics/limb based injuries. Would seem to be really hard to balance/target that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 35 SolidSquid @ 05/18/16 10:14 PM
Quote:
I wonder if we'll ever get that or physics/limb based injuries. Would seem to be really hard to balance/target that.

In terms of injuries I'll just be happy if they ever add non contact and off ball injuries

# 36 jfsolo @ 05/18/16 10:28 PM
Quote:

This ties in with the "Big Hits" thread from a little while back. If they did have physics based injuries, then IMO they would have to add A.I. to every player that included a self preservation instinct, otherwise there would be way too many injuries and way more severe injuries because the way players come into contact with one another now, there is no regard for safety.

# 37 SolidSquid @ 05/18/16 10:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantBlue76
You don't need to have contact related injuries all of the time. Many times, guys will tear an ACL, pull a hamstring, twist an ankle, etc. without ANY contact. I know APF2k8 had these types of things and it was awesome, would love to see it in Madden. Would also like to see the 2k5 injury system in Madden where you had real statuses (doubtful, questionable, probable), guys would be hindered if you played them, and you could do things to help them getting healthy with risk of over doing it and causing further injury.

Nothing is cooler than seeing a cornerback pull up and grab his hammy at times. That is something this game desperately needs. Injuries are such a huge part of football, they could really blow that out and make it awesome.
Never forget playing my brother for 20$ in APF, throws a bomb to his created gold star randy moss on the last play and it looks like he has my defender beat, then he pulls up limping holding his hammy, non contact injury. It just looked so real.

# 38 johnnyg713 @ 05/18/16 10:46 PM
The blogs were very extensive but I don't think i've ever read an article on a sports game with this much sports terminology. Run fits, gaps, blah blah blah. I love it but man does it have my head spinning. Madden 17 looks like its playing chess this year.

# 39 SolidSquid @ 05/18/16 10:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg713
The blogs were very extensive but I don't think i've ever read an article on a sports game with this much sports terminology. Run fits, gaps, blah blah blah. I love it but man does it have my head spinning. Madden 17 looks like its playing chess this year.
Playing chess is exactly what football is. I'm sure skills trainer will help you wrap your head around all the terminology. Don't be intimidated just know they're giving you the tools to play real defense.

# 40 johnnyg713 @ 05/18/16 10:53 PM
Quote:
Playing chess is exactly what football is. I'm sure skills trainer will help you wrap your head around all the terminology. Don't be intimidated just know they're giving you the tools to play real defense.
Oh the chess comment was a good thing. Very excited for all of the improvement. I also play chess

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.