Home
Madden NFL 17 News Post

EA Sports continues pushing out Madden NFL 17 information. Today they have posted a blog detailing gameplay improvements to man coverage, revamped zone coverage system, stopping the QB scramble more effectively and much more. They have also made improvements to online play that should result in users encountering less lag and also prevent players from attempting to boot opponents out of game sessions and forcing a loss.

Quote:
Man coverage is on the top of my list as biggest gameplay improvements. In Madden NFL 16, man press made defensive backs stick to receivers effortlessly. It forced guys to resort to motion routes, and the same type of routes, to beat it. This year, an enhanced Win/Loss system has been created to ensure that any route with a cut has the potential to get open against this coverage. Man press is a two part battle and it all starts with the chuck. Using a slant as an example, when the receiver wins, he’ll successfully fight off the corner to gain inside leverage. Just like previous years, this part of the interaction is dictated by “Press” and “Release” ratings. The second portion of this change is the cut move. In the case of a slant, if the receiver wins here, he’ll get enough separation when he cuts toward the middle of the field for the quarterback to complete the throw. How often the receiver wins the cut is still based off of “Route Running” ability versus the corner’s “Man Coverage.” Keep in mind that a receiver who loses the chuck can still win on the cut, and vice versa. Also, just as you can use any route with a cut to beat man now, routes that seemed to get open more often before can easily get locked down. This places an emphasis on a player’s ability to quickly recognize if there’s enough space following the cut to zip the pass to their guy. The new man coverage system overall results in it being more balanced and true to ratings in Madden NFL 17.

Game: Madden NFL 17Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 17 - View All
Member Comments
# 1 smiley3 @ 05/27/16 01:34 PM
IMO turbo blitzes will never be gone, players will find a way to get one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 2 Hova57 @ 05/27/16 01:36 PM
Sounds good seems as if ratings really gonna matter, i just wish PRC mattered offensively when it comes to rb and lineman seeing blitzes. Receivers seeing zone or man and setting in soft area of zones

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

# 3 roadman @ 05/27/16 01:46 PM
I smiled with better press man logic, either DB wins or WR wins, that way, we all win.

# 4 Cowboy008 @ 05/27/16 01:54 PM
Was a good read. I like that ratings will seem to matter more now. Also am really liking the primary and secondary color cleats.

# 5 michapop9 @ 05/27/16 03:30 PM
If we had "true step". For all 22 players on the field and the blocking were more momentum, strength and weight based i wouldnt be worried about any of these improvements. However since theres still alot of warping that goes on and the list of blocking improvements didnt go into detail im worried until I see it in action.

# 6 DeuceDouglas @ 05/27/16 05:18 PM
Quote:
The biggest issue here was the defensive backs. They would unrealistically shoot in to blow up run plays. By making them more realistically able to read run vs. pass first, and improving open field blocking for the offensive line, this is the last defense you’ll want to be caught in against the run.
This caught my eye. Albeit it was the CPU player doing it, I have a clip of a play where the defense was in cover 3 and Chris Conte was the safety and as soon as the ball touches the QB's hands he comes crashing down like a heat seeking missile without even playing the pass. Seeing that type of reaction play out more realistically would be very nice for the run game. And open field blocking has always seemed a little odd in terms of what players do and it will probably remain that way but any improvement on that is a good thing.

# 7 PhillyPhanatic14 @ 05/27/16 07:07 PM
Anyone else notice how good that Vikings player's hair looks? Huge difference from past games and similar to The Show from that screenshot. This would be an awesome update to player likeness.

# 8 DeuceDouglas @ 05/27/16 07:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhanatic14
Anyone else notice how good that Vikings player's hair looks? Huge difference from past games and similar to The Show from that screenshot. This would be an awesome update to player likeness.
I think they definitely updated some of the hair styles. I noticed in the juke video one of the Saints players had a lot longer dreads than you'd see in M16.

# 9 Bigg Cee @ 05/28/16 02:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsGamer94
Sounds like the offensive line pass blocking and pass rushing didn't get a major overhaul just more logic tuning, bummer.
I don't mind logic tunning, I just need them to do what they are suppose to do and I will be happy.

# 10 raidertiger @ 05/28/16 03:41 AM
So route running still does not impact the actual routes run? Sad to hear.

# 11 NDAlum @ 05/28/16 06:06 AM
Blog wouldn't pull up for me...

Was there anything about TE's vs LB's? The ability for TE's to run corners and posts all day vs MCV from a LB was too much in '16.

Has that been toned down? Can a LB actually stick with a TE?

# 12 DeuceDouglas @ 05/28/16 06:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum

Was there anything about TE's vs LB's? The ability for TE's to run corners and posts all day vs MCV from a LB was too much in '16.

I was looking for this as well but they didn't mention anything about it at all. The only thing they really talked about in regards to man coverage was what was quoted in the OP, new win/loss logic in terms of press and then also with cuts as well.

# 13 jfsolo @ 05/28/16 08:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas
I was looking for this as well but they didn't mention anything about it at all. The only thing they really talked about in regards to man coverage was what was quoted in the OP, new win/loss logic in terms of press and then also with cuts as well.
Quote:
Also, just as you can use any route with a cut to beat man now, routes that seemed to get open more often before can easily get locked down. This places an emphasis on a player’s ability to quickly recognize if there’s enough space following the cut to zip the pass to their guy. The new man coverage system overall results in it being more balanced and true to ratings in Madden NFL 17.
Now this doesn't specifically talk about TE vs LB but this paragraph in general and especially the bolded section seems to imply that the old money routes aren't going to be automatic anymore.

# 14 DeuceDouglas @ 05/28/16 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
Now this doesn't specifically talk about TE vs LB but this paragraph in general and especially the bolded section seems to imply that the old money routes aren't going to be automatic anymore.

Hopefully that's the case. I don't have a problem with it working once in a while but it was an inherent problem with the game last year. I remember going into practice on rookie with both pass coverage sliders at 100 and it would still get open nine out of ten times and the biggest issue was that there would be so much separation every time that WR/DB interactions didn't have a chance to take place. But it does sound like they've done a lot to improve AI especially on the defensive side of things it's just a matter of seeing it in gameplay now.

# 15 DaSmerg @ 05/28/16 10:10 PM
It all is sounding great. Yay!

But I'm sorry folks, you have to balance it with...we have already heard this line from this company about this game, a couple of times now for some of us folks. Show me that it works.

Big question I have about this year's game...how does the physicality stack up to FIFA 16 PC? In that game...it really is ratings and size matters.

# 16 SpyPirates @ 05/29/16 08:55 PM
He did mention that Z spot and Flood (maybe he meant Sail?) have counters now, which were two of the better plays involving a Corner route in my opinion. If what they're saying it true about every play concept having a counter in '17, it won't matter as much that corner routes are OP. But it'd still be nice to look at that route specifically and make it less effective in general.

# 17 jeremym480 @ 05/31/16 10:34 AM
I can't wait to try the Spy Crash feature. It sounds like a great addition for us "no switch" guys. There should be plenty of risk/reward by using that. I guessing I'll be too much of a chicken to use it unless my opponent is in the Red Zone.

# 18 Jr. @ 05/31/16 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremym480
I can't wait to try the Spy Crash feature. It sounds like a great addition for us "no switch" guys. There should be plenty of risk/reward by using that. I guessing I'll be too much of a chicken to use it unless my opponent is in the Red Zone.
It won't stop Cam.

# 19 SolidSquid @ 05/31/16 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.
It won't stop Cam.
Unless it's Von Miller

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.