Home
Madden NFL 17 News Post

EA Sports has posted another quick Madden NFL 17 video, this one featuring pocket disengage and ball physics. Check it out and post your thoughts.

Game: Madden NFL 17Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 17 - View All
Member Comments
# 41 TerryP @ 06/07/16 05:53 PM
Tip looked great, never seen anything even remotely close to that in previous Maddens.

# 42 SolidSquid @ 06/07/16 06:39 PM
What exactly are pocket disengage moves?

# 43 mrprice33 @ 06/07/16 06:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSquid
What exactly are pocket disengage moves?
It's the DL peeling off blocks to get to the QB. It's not well-explained in the video but that's what the Eli play was supposed to demonstrate.

# 44 mrprice33 @ 06/07/16 07:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib

- instead of it being a Trait, "ALL" defensive players should have Strip Ball enabled to trigger the attempt when interacting with the QB instead of requiring a "Big Hit" animation triggering a fumble by the QB.
There are specific QB strip animations that take place in the game, but I'm not sure that every DL should attempt to do them every time, if that's what this is trying to get across.

Here's a story on the Broncos from 2012. Lots of good info in there about how Von Miller didn't try to do it until Elvis Dumervil really talked about it with him, and how Dumervil didn't try to do it early in his career, and how other guys on the Broncos admit they just don't remember to do it.

It's definitely something every defensive player should be capable of, but there definitely is a tendency there that can't be ignored.

# 45 SolidSquid @ 06/07/16 07:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprice33
It's the DL peeling off blocks to get to the QB. It's not well-explained in the video but that's what the Eli play was supposed to demonstrate.
How is it any different than what it's been in the past? I'm confused that defensive linemen going after the QB is a feature

# 46 mrprice33 @ 06/07/16 07:48 PM
Quote:
How is it any different than what it's been in the past? I'm confused that defensive linemen going after the QB is a feature

I'm not in marketing my dude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 47 jfsolo @ 06/07/16 07:49 PM
Quote:
In the past dlinemen would be "glued" to the olineman for a much longer time when the QB rolled outside of the pocket. This is why basically every H2H player would roll out to pass on every play because the DL couldn't simply disengage and go right at him.

It was better last year and I'm just guessing that it's even better this year where they can attack those QBs out of the pocket even more quickly. If they had shown that Eli sack from the gameplay angle all the way, everyone would have a better sense of what they're talking about.

It really shouldn't be a "feature" per se, but because of the Madden legacy issues on this front, it logically is getting some attention.

# 48 khaliib @ 06/07/16 08:10 PM
Quote:
There are specific QB strip animations that take place in the game, but I'm not sure that every DL should attempt to do them every time, if that's what this is trying to get across.

Here's a story on the Broncos from 2012. Lots of good info in there about how Von Miller didn't try to do it until Elvis Dumervil really talked about it with him, and how Dumervil didn't try to do it early in his career, and how other guys on the Broncos admit they just don't remember to do it.

It's definitely something every defensive player should be capable of, but there definitely is a tendency there that can't be ignored.
I mentioned it because until otherwise noted differently, "Hit Stick" type tackles on the QB triggered mostly as the mechanism for driving fumbles by QB's and possible weighted affect on the "Avoidance" animation triggering, even by Hum controlled players (didn't want to get into how "Auto" Avoidance is set to off which limited triggering in past releases).

Mentioned it to possibly be looked at on two fronts from what the short clip shows.

1) Strip Ball Trait (unless tuned/changed for M17) was set to off for most defensive players, yet it opens the door for other animations to trigger from AI QB Avoidance, break tackles and even its affect on the OL/DL interaction as players approached the "triggering window" of trait.

- for whatever reason, edge rushers bent the corner better against O-Tackles/TE's when they had the trait vs not having it. (not plecebo)

- both AI/Hum QB's would "auto" perform greater varied break tackle animations dependent on tacklers tackle rating.

2) was to really take a look at the weight of the "Hit Stick" triggering being the "main/if not only" mechanism to drive QB fumbling, as it's been for past releases. (relating to ball physics)

I've seen devs respond to some concerns from other clips, so thought I would toss a couple out there myself.

# 49 TheBleedingRed21 @ 06/07/16 08:11 PM
Quote:
You're missing the marketing aspect of this.. You're overreaching by claiming they are touting this as a feature.

"Lineman now disengage their block and go after QB outside pocket" sounds alpt worse to mainstream madden players than Pocket Disengage.

You have to understand the thought process of marketing a video game, these guys aren't amateurs.

# 50 roadman @ 06/07/16 08:31 PM
One of my bigger beefs with the OL/DL over the past several Maddens, and I'm sure many others feel the same way, is the patty-cake patty cake they play all the time.

To me, it's a welcome addition if ratings play out better in these one on one situations and the DL/DE win out every so often.

And I don't give a hoot what marketing calls it.

Your mileage may vary.

# 51 SolidSquid @ 06/07/16 09:25 PM
Quote:
I'm not in marketing my dude.

Well I mean you've played over 40 hours of the game lol was just asking if it's any different than what we've had

# 52 mrprice33 @ 06/07/16 09:59 PM
Quote:
Well I mean you've played over 40 hours of the game lol was just asking if it's any different than what we've had
Yeah, they peel off better than they did. I think it's glossed over in the video though because A) it's hard to show and B) it's not really a "feature" per se.

# 53 Cam Fan @ 06/07/16 10:10 PM
Overall I'm pleased. However, the only big improvement I'd like to see is the AI offense adjust more to the defensive formations...check out of formations and make the user have to really disguise plays.

# 54 Cowboy008 @ 06/07/16 10:26 PM
Someone pointed it out on twitter that it looks like Brady has a generic stance now. Clint said he's going to look into it.

# 55 smiley3 @ 06/07/16 10:34 PM

# 56 SolidSquid @ 06/07/16 10:45 PM
All the updated equipment really makes the game pop now . Even if your not an equipment fan compared to last year it looks more authentic. That Von Miller rip move gave me chills. Only thing i didn't like was the line play in the Giants Cowboys clip. The interior guys all just kinda jumble up, it looks awkward.

# 57 johnnyg713 @ 06/08/16 12:01 AM
That celebration at the end of the video looked like guys coming onto the field and congratulating the Defensive player. Could this mean real time subs?

# 58 Moegames @ 06/08/16 12:56 AM
Nice addition, should make pass plays much more fun and exciting, Nice job Tiburon.

# 59 ggsimmonds @ 06/08/16 02:06 AM
Not that impressed with the pass rush to be honest. Doesn't look that much improved as it still seems to have only win/loss outcomes in the trenches, e.g. blockers either wall the defender or the defender beats him cleanly. There is also still a lack of an actual pocket, and it seems as if passing lanes are non-existent. This may mean my quick short passing game should still be very effective.

Also, haven't they mentioned realistic time in the pocket for the past 2 cycles?

# 60 strawberryshortcake @ 06/08/16 02:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
Not that impressed with the pass rush to be honest. Doesn't look that much improved as it still seems to have only win/loss outcomes in the trenches, e.g. blockers either wall the defender or the defender beats him cleanly. There is also still a lack of an actual pocket, and it seems as if passing lanes are non-existent. This may mean my quick short passing game should still be very effective.

Also, haven't they mentioned realistic time in the pocket for the past 2 cycles?
Unfortunately, it still seems to be the case. Always looking forward to how the team implements defensive line rush vs offensive line block every year, but I'm always disappointed unfortunately. Disappointed because you do see it done properly to a certain extent very, very infrequently and so you know it can be done. But disappointed that you don't see it either more frequently or always.

They can add in more animations all they want, but it looks as if the entire pocket isn't going to look organic or natural until they change the way they decide to program how the defensive lineman rush. Mentioned this in another thread ...

Madden right now:
Defensive lineman = heat seeking missiles (target: Offensive lineman)

Wishlist for future Madden installments:
Defensive lineman = heat seeking missiles (target: quarterback)

If the defensive lineman (DL) is programmed to actually rush the target quarterback, then the offensive lineman will automatically do it's job to finally block and protect the QB. The DL should be coded primarily to seek out it's primary target, the quarterback, by whatever means necessary. The OL would be the roadblock, and the DL will use whatever means necessary to get pass this roadblock. In turn, you wouldn't see pattycakes or stalemates ever again because the DL will always, always be looking to get to the QB as opposed to playing pattycake or stalemate chess with the OL. As it stands right now, it looks as if the DL is prorammed to target the OL first and foremost leaving the QB as an afterthought.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.