Home
NHL 17 News Post

NHL 17 Producers are answering questions on their Ask NHL page, similar to how they did it last year. If you have questions, make sure to submit them here.

We've posted some of the questions and answers below, click here to read them all.

How has skating been improved?

Skating has been improved in a lot of ways. We looked at responsiveness in pivots, ability to interrupt a pivot when it physically makes sense, ensuring that proper momentum and acceleration is consistent across all turning (deking, protecting the puck, etc.) which makes the puck carrier’s agility more realistic. We also worked a lot on facing angles and the control you have on defense to angle puck carriers, specifically looking at the angles and speeds you can take cross overs at before having to rotate your hips. You will also notice that you can step out and accelerate in a new direction like you can from a stop at speeds that makes it physically possible, rather than having to take a longer pivot out to convert your momentum like you do at high speeds.

Will new Goalie AI accompany the new animations?

Yes. In adding new blocking saves, the goalies save mechanics have been updated as well, so goalies will move their body into shots rather than making a limb based save which ultimately made them more vulnerable to be beat. They also know to stay tighter to their posts when the puck is down low and passes and shots are coming in tight to the net.

Can you talk about crease battles and cross crease goals from last year?

Yes. When we looked at one of the main issues for defenders it was the ability to tightly mark a player in front of the net or on the weak side. Last year, there was a big focus on getting defensive deflections and interceptions right but this year, we really wanted to focus on that close defending of a player. With net battles and extended stick lifts, you are given tools to tie up a player in front of the net so that you can take the goal side position and move them out from screening your goalie, tie up their stick, or simply just get in the way of them making a play.

Will there be a defensive skill stick?

No, there won't be a defensive skill stick for this year. Knowing that we needed a way to tightly mark a player in front, we focused on the addition of Net Battles and extended stick tie ups. Through discussions with the community, the GameChangers and internally, there were ideas on how a defensive skill stick could work but at this point there isn't a plan on how it wouldn't compromise other controls in one way or another. In theory, having more control is always better but we want to ensure if we go down that path, it is ultimately able to achieve that goal without taking control away elsewhere.

Will there be GM Connected in NHL 17?

GM Connected will not be in NHL 17.

Game: NHL 17Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 5 - View All
NHL 17 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Moose24x @ 06/08/16 06:02 PM
In summary:

No, we haven't added a defensive skill stick, mid-season contract negotiations, coaches challenges, or made any improvements to BaGM but we have made it possible for you to set the prices of hamburgers and hotdogs, sell advertising around the arena and create your own teams and arenas (which will undoubtedly lead to ungodly obnoxious and ugly innovations). Enjoy!

# 2 Freakywwe @ 06/08/16 06:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose24x
In summary:

No, we haven't added a defensive skill stick, mid-season contract negotiations, coaches challenges, or made any improvements to BaGM but we have made it possible for you to set the prices of hamburgers and hotdogs, sell advertising around the arena and create your own teams and arenas (which will undoubtedly lead to ungodly obnoxious and ugly innovations). Enjoy!
Why post anything if you're just going to complain? Obviously you'll never be happy with the product so why bring everyone else down?

# 3 TDKing @ 06/08/16 06:24 PM
No GM Connected 😢. I don't care about hot dog prices. They're bringing back net battles lets see how that works out. Still stuck with stock builds in EASHL. Madden had a big turnover in staff it may be time for NHL to do the same. We need a New vision for the game I think

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

# 4 TDKing @ 06/08/16 06:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakywwe
Why post anything if you're just going to complain? Obviously you'll never be happy with the product so why bring everyone else down?
He's disappointed in the game as am I (so far anway). If your happy about what's been added good for you i dont see what he posts bringing you down they have added things you like right.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

# 5 Simple Mathematics @ 06/08/16 06:37 PM
I am pumped for the 100 point sliders. I hope that can fix a lot for the gameplay. I wish they focused on more hockey-related items for Franchise mode like scouting, trades, free agency, mid-season contract negotiations, goalie fatigue, etc.

I'm excited to see this new collision system. I hope it actually allows us to rub people off on the boards and push them out of the way.

Really wanted a defensive skill stick. I don't really understand how it would negatively affect the other controls.

# 6 HenryClay1844 @ 06/08/16 07:12 PM
So, interested about what it will mean to fully customize a team and it's jersey? Will this mean stock designs or logos, or can we import images? Can we create just one team or a whole league? So I'd like to make both the Quebec Nordiques or Hartford Whalers and maybe create the KHL or top college teams.

# 7 clarkerots @ 06/08/16 07:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Mathematics
I am pumped for the 100 point sliders. I hope that can fix a lot for the gameplay. I wish they focused on more hockey-related items for Franchise mode like scouting, trades, free agency, mid-season contract negotiations, goalie fatigue, etc.

I'm excited to see this new collision system. I hope it actually allows us to rub people off on the boards and push them out of the way.

Really wanted a defensive skill stick. I don't really understand how it would negatively affect the other controls.
Isn't this going to make more slider people nuts though? There's so much effort that goes into sliders and testing and sliders and testing.........won't it be an endless test of "puck control at 88 doesn't feel as good at 86"?

Maybe not, I don't know.....it just scares me a little.

As far as what I'd like to see........one of my top 5 would be a trading deadline that doesn't only include 5 trades (with 4 of them generated by the User team).

# 8 Moose24x @ 06/08/16 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakywwe
Unless you're suggesting they'll never improve the actual hockey portion of the game in meaningful ways, I don't know why you'd say I'll "obviously never" be happy. They've added a lot of fluff that doesn't have anything to do with playing hockey. If they said they had done just ONE out of: totally revamped player ratings to have great separation, introduced a defensive skill stick, added different skating styles so that not all players look and act the same, totally revamped player development so that players improve/decline more realistically over a long career, totally revamped scouting and the annual draft, totally revamped the trade deadline or annual free agency, I would be posting about how excited I am. They didn't do any of these things that are relevant to hockey. They've added hot dog prices. Why do I care about the team's financials and keeping the owners happy? I care about building and managing a winner ON THE ICE. I don't care about what we pay our equipment manager.

# 9 Caniac94 @ 06/09/16 01:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose24x
Unless you're suggesting they'll never improve the actual hockey portion of the game in meaningful ways, I don't know why you'd say I'll "obviously never" be happy. They've added a lot of fluff that doesn't have anything to do with playing hockey. If they said they had done just ONE out of: totally revamped player ratings to have great separation, introduced a defensive skill stick, added different skating styles so that not all players look and act the same, totally revamped player development so that players improve/decline more realistically over a long career, totally revamped scouting and the annual draft, totally revamped the trade deadline or annual free agency, I would be posting about how excited I am. They didn't do any of these things that are relevant to hockey. They've added hot dog prices. Why do I care about the team's financials and keeping the owners happy? I care about building and managing a winner ON THE ICE. I don't care about what we pay our equipment manager.
This is one thing that annoys me. EA have put all this time and effort into little things that I'll quickly get bored with. Be it visual elements like the crowd or the arena (which we don't really see in detail anyway) or having to manage little finances or dealong with player morale. Come to think of it there seems to be little to no attention payed to what's actually happening on the ice. Don't get me wrong, the things mentioned above are nice for their respective game modes but please, please get the gameplay down FIRST then incorporate more features into game modes. Gameplay is the most important thing here and it has been the same for years. Player separation is the biggest thing for me. I wish they could focus on that at least and I'd be happy.

# 10 asu666 @ 06/09/16 01:11 AM
I am excited for the Owner features making it into the game. NHL 16 is solid and a lot of fun, so NHL 17 is at the top of my wish list.

# 11 Caniac94 @ 06/09/16 01:12 AM
One more thing (it's late and my thoughts are starting to mesh):

I am excited about 100 point sliders. Hopefully this allows for more flexibility in tweaking the game more to my taste. I really think that's a huge step forward (assuming the sliders actually work).

# 12 Honome @ 06/09/16 06:43 AM
No defensive stick is totally inexcusable. I guess this will be the year i'll skip NHL at launch because i am sure gameplay changes will be minimal from all that I'm reading.

Enviado de meu ASUS_T00J usando Tapatalk

# 13 HartmanTeets6 @ 06/09/16 11:23 AM
Create a team vs. relocation. Obviously the relocation only has 15 cities, and he said for Franchise mode. Is everyone thinking that means our created team, can't be played in franchise, but that we'll have to relocate? I was looking forward to creating a new team, sub them out for a crappy, existing team, and play that way.

# 14 wheels2121 @ 06/09/16 12:30 PM
I agree. I want to put Hartford and Quebec in for Florida and Tampa. Why bother creating a team if you can't play them in the league?

# 15 swimfunk @ 06/09/16 07:59 PM
Focusing on a custom arena is so lazy and honestly means nothing to the actual gameplay. For one you hardly see the actual arena when you play and it's in the it's just ice. So you can color the seats or choose from a preset number of scoreboard options. Meanwhile we've still yet to see an online league NHL on PS4/XB1. The World Teams Play is literally a roster update.

The only "meaningful" online 1 vs 1 game mode is ranked which after a while loses it's luster when you are just facing the same teams over and over. How can a old gen game have more game options than a game 3 years in???

No thanks NHL

# 16 Retropyro @ 06/09/16 08:02 PM
So, I'll just pass on it and grab it from the EA Access Vault in February.

Seriously, no GM Connected???

# 17 voodoo_magic @ 06/09/16 08:53 PM
I hope one day we will get the chip n chase that is in real hockey, especially in the playoffs.
Teams rarely just dump it in anymore, except on line changes.

If they could modify the dump button or the saucer pass and have the cpu aware of how to get in your way it would greatly help with making the game more sim.

# 18 ericromain @ 06/13/16 08:42 PM
The improved defensive coverage around the net along with updated goalies could be the biggest gameplay contribution in a while.

I'm assuming the authentic international jerseys only apply to the World Cup teams. No IIHF versions.
That's fine though, a definite improvement.

# 19 SocialAssassin @ 06/13/16 09:58 PM
One thing that bugs me, why hasn't Sony and Xbox allowed file sharing like they did on the 360 and PS3?

# 20 Money99 @ 06/14/16 07:18 AM
A defensive skill-stick would be nice, but if you add that, then you must be able to program dynamic offensive AI for the CPU.
I'm already nervous about the stick tie-up's. I love being able to mark a guy in front, but will this basically stymie any and all of the CPU's players?
Will the CPU be given cheats in order to compensate for these new defensive moves?

That's one of the biggest gripes I have with the NHL series. The CPU is just plain dumb forcing the programmers to give them cheats and the ability to do things you can't.

I hope that's been fixed in NHL 17.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.