Home
Madden NFL 17 News Post

EA Sports has improved accessibility in Madden NFL 17 with larger icons, colorblind support, 5 levels of brightness/contrast and more. If you want to request other accessibility options, make sure to tweet the team here.

Quote:
Any in-world icon that is prompting user interaction (pass, catch, tackle battle, etc.) will be about twice as big. Augmented UI banners will gracefully enlarge, but will still be prevented from filling too much of the screen. The kick meter is larger and it pins itself to the screen, instead of being placed in the world. These changes have been tested by internal Madden NFL developers that also have vision issues, such as macular degeneration.

We estimate that over half a million current Madden NFL users are colorblind*. Bright primary colors are used all over Madden NFL, so there were issues with many menus and on-field art. Filters seemed to be a great way to go, as they cover the entire game, including all menus. Red, green, and blue weak colorblindness are all supported and tested, with great results.

Source - EA Sports

Game: Madden NFL 17Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 17 - View All
Member Comments
# 21 bxphenom7 @ 06/10/16 09:15 PM
Very good job from EA!

# 22 TheBleedingRed21 @ 06/10/16 09:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox4evur
This is an option...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 23 NateDogPack12 @ 06/10/16 09:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WISports
This should be an option you can choose between.

I absolutely hate graphic cluttering my screen when playing sports games. We should have the ability to choose the size of the icons at least.

Larger icons is a giant 'con' for me, personally.

Did you even read the blog? With a comment like this one, my money is on no.

# 24 4thQtrStre5S @ 06/10/16 10:38 PM
Excellent move/additions.....

# 25 SmashMan @ 06/10/16 11:35 PM
Quote:
You're a feisty one, aren't you?
Well, not one thing you said made any sense if you had. It makes sense if someone just read the topic headline and assumed it was a untouchable default change.

Kudos to the team for adding these options. I don't personally need them, but awesome news for those that do.

# 26 NateDogPack12 @ 06/10/16 11:57 PM
Quote:
You're a feisty one, aren't you?
No.

When you make a comment indicative of the fact you didn't read the material, your participation in the discussion is basically agenda posting. If you're going to post here, you need to do it substantively. If you're not going to read the blog wherein it is made clear in the first two paragraphs all of this is optional, you don't need to post.

# 27 BayRaider510 @ 06/11/16 12:02 AM
Nice addition but is there a way to use smaller icons? Those take up quite a bit of the field.

# 28 NateDogPack12 @ 06/11/16 12:06 AM
All of these settings are optional. People would know this if they actually read the blog before commenting.

# 29 Gilley @ 06/11/16 12:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayRaider510
Nice addition but is there a way to use smaller icons? Those take up quite a bit of the field.
The icons pictured in the original post are the enlarged icons.

These are the default icons:

# 30 MajorSupreme @ 06/11/16 12:47 AM
Quote:
No agenda. My friend told me about this today but didn't mention it being an option.

But I see you can't make a post without giving attitude to others when it isn't needed.
It's not attitude, it's competency. He read the blog, has an understanding of the topic, and provided a response.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NateDogPack12
All of these settings are optional. People would know this if they actually read the blog before commenting.
Even a quick read of the comments would be nice.

# 31 talucchesi @ 06/11/16 01:01 AM
I'm colorblind, so I found this addition 1. funny and 2. awesome

# 32 TheBleedingRed21 @ 06/11/16 01:07 AM
How about just move on and post constructively from now on? It's simple. We're all here to enjoy games, not to have 2 pages of bickering.

# 33 jrjolley @ 06/11/16 04:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NateDogPack12
I'm going to send them a lot of positive feedback over this. We need to really praise them for considering visually impaired people. I hope this helps you enjoy the game more.
I'm also totally blind and love the game. It'll be good to know if they'll ever include TTS or spoken menus for team selection, play calling and other options. I'd find that useful myself.

# 34 sir psycho @ 06/11/16 07:53 AM
Cool stuff. I'm colorblind, so this type of thing is appreciated. Hopefully it will make any Jets-Bills color rush games more tolerable!

# 35 jb12780 @ 06/11/16 08:07 AM
My friend who is red/green color blind, as well as a big football fan, will be delighted to hear this.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

# 36 ednaaard @ 06/11/16 10:26 AM
Colour blind support....that because colour rush uniforms are in the game? [emoji276]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 37 oneamongthefence @ 06/11/16 11:20 AM
Not only is this huge for colorblind people this also means being able to sit further back from the tv and still be able to see everything. I like it.

Sent from my LG-AS991 using Tapatalk

# 38 mrprice33 @ 06/11/16 11:51 AM
The scaling of the kicking meter was one of my biggest issues with the game. I'll be turning that on regardless.

# 39 Nature_Boy @ 06/11/16 12:33 PM
I'm very excited for this new feature. It will help me out a lot. A couple of years ago, I had to get reading glasses. Now, My vision has gotten to the point where I have to wear glasses all the time.

# 40 NateDogPack12 @ 06/11/16 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprice33
The scaling of the kicking meter was one of my biggest issues with the game. I'll be turning that on regardless.
Is the kicking meter independent of the other accessibility icons? The passing icons look a little big for some people, but will you be able to turn the kicking meter to the large version independently?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.