Home
Madden NFL 17 News Post

EA Sports has detailed new additions to this year's franchise mode on their website.

The first blog post EA detailed a faster way to play franchise and new gameplanning features.

Play The Moments: Experience Franchise faster than ever. Jump into game-defining plays, drives and situations that matter to you, speeding up your experience and delivering more fun. For players who want to span their career the entire 30 years but are limited in time, Play the Moment will be your new way to play.

Quote:
"How does it work?

Before heading down to the field, choose between Play the Moments, Offense Only, Defense Only, or the Full Game. When you choose Play the Moments, the game will be simulated until it detects a key moment and then prompts you to jump right into the action. If you don’t want to play that particular moment, you can easily skip it. Choosing Offense Only or Defense Only before loading into the game allows you to easily play just one side of the ball.

You’ll be able to switch in and out of all the modes easily as you play your game. For example, you can start by playing the Full Game and then switch to Play the Moments at half-time once you have a sizable lead. It’s up to you on how you use it."
There will be different times you are called to 'play a moment'.

EA says that sometimes you will be prompted to play a full drive at the beginning of a game in order to get a lead early. In the last two minutes of a half you may be called upon to drive down the field and manage the clock and perhaps on defense you'll be called in on 3rd downs to get the ball back for your team. Really any 'big' moment of a game you can be called in on.

There will be a new sim speed feature which allows you to slow the game down and watch it unfold in real time during super-sim and during moments. This is an oft requested feature that is now being fulfilled.

Another big addition is that super-sim will now take into account quarter speed in order to try to deliver a game as close as possible to the 120 play-per-game NFL average as well.

Check out all of the new additions to 'Play the Moment' and Super-Sim on EA's site!

Game: Madden NFL 17Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 17 - View All
Member Comments
# 121 ConnSKINS26 @ 06/12/16 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin23IU
The thing that hurts your argument is that games like NBA 2K16 exist and prove that all of these things can be done in the year 2016 (or in their case, 2015).
There's no argument to hurt, I am stating facts. There is a limited amount of development time and resources, and they have to prioritize the features that are fundamental to NFL football on the field before they can worry about something more trivial like me being able to move the Redskins to Toronto and naming them the Angry Beavers with a customized logo I made on the computer and transferred to the game. For a slightly exaggerated example.

What you are talking about is totally different--NBA 2K is not digging itself out of the kind of hole that Madden still is, and has been ever since the switch to the 360/PS3 generation. That is why they can have such an elaborate relocation system, as well as an entire cinematic MyPlayer experience powered by a Spike Jones script, for Christ sake. They have nearly perfected the gameplay element, or are at least closer to it than Madden is. And they already have one of the deepest Franchise Mode experiences to build on year to year, deeper than any sports title this side of The Show.

They have the time to put into the features you're talking about. Anyone who knows where Madden is in comparison, and the depths these current Devs are trying to pull it out of, knows that.

# 122 jmurphy31 @ 06/12/16 05:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurphy31
The third option, which has been a community request, lets you slow down the game so you can watch each play unfold on the field in live action using the broadcast camera.

That is from the CFM blog #1. Maybe cpu vs cpu is an option this year.
Here's the link

http://www.easports.com/madden-nfl/n...s-and-gameplan

# 123 Scvllp @ 06/12/16 05:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilley
Do you like having immersion in the game?
Sorry I meant play the moment not big decisions. Big decisions is actually good.

# 124 jfsolo @ 06/12/16 05:56 PM
Personal Opinion about the Franchise reveals so far:

Good

In Franchise player editing- no explanation needed.

Gameplanning, nice addition, not as much if not used by the CPU though.

Practice Squads- Hopefully CPU will poach players. However the injury possibilities are totally weakened by the lack of off ball injuries though.

more logical regression curve for players

More bust and gems in draft

Dynamic player development

News from around your CFM back in the front of the CFM menu

More scanned heads for created coaches and drafted players.

Bad

XP still exists, super hate it, but it's something that I can live with.

Seemingly no coaching/training staffs affecting development, injuries, and schemes.

Kinda more of a gameplay thing, but no offball injuries really sucks.

No Formation Subs, but we already knew that.

Neutral

Play The Moment, not something I would ever use, but I know that they're always going to add something big for people with limited time and to add to accessibility.

Big Decisions, it just seems like normal choices that one would make during a football week.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, some things I like, a few big disappointments, but I expect to enjoy the mode for a good long time, barring some unforeseen catastrophic bugs.

# 125 LacedGod @ 06/12/16 05:59 PM
I'm not really sure why Big Decisions is a "feature"? Doesn't the FIFA games have something similar in the manager career modes albeit much more streamlined and subtle? When players get injured, you can still play them but are warned by trainers that you could re-aggravate the injury and make it worse. I get that the "risk/reward" thing is kinda different but I don't see how this entire thing requires it to be touted as a feature in of itself...

# 126 reyes the roof @ 06/12/16 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrizzo380
Dynamic dev traits... game changer
This makes me a little nervous about positions that don't generate a ton of stats. I like the idea of dynamic development but how they potentially implement it scares me. If I draft a superstar rated LT but I don't put up huge passing numbers because I'm pretty conservative offensively, I hope my LT doesn't end up being penalized

# 127 ConnSKINS26 @ 06/12/16 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LacedGod
I'm not really sure why Big Decisions is a "feature"? Doesn't the FIFA games have something similar in the manager career modes albeit much more streamlined and subtle? When players get injured, you can still play them but are warned by trainers that you could re-aggravate the injury and make it worse. I get that the "risk/reward" thing is kinda different but I don't see how this entire thing requires it to be touted as a feature in of itself...
Why do you care how its marketed? Its a new, or at least greatly expanded, part of the experience. They wanted us to know that. So its a "feature".

# 128 LacedGod @ 06/12/16 06:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnSKINS26
Why do you care how its marketed? Its a new, or at least greatly expanded, part of the experience. They wanted us to know that. So its a "feature".
I'm not really talking about the marketing but so much as the feature itself. Another game under EA does something similar yet in a better and more realistic manner.

# 129 dietdoubledew @ 06/12/16 06:07 PM
To add: Play the moment is a big one for me. I used to love playing as the OC or DC on NCAA. I know this isn't exactly the same but it's as close as Madden has been since I started playing it.

# 130 ednaaard @ 06/12/16 06:10 PM
Being able to play just defence/offence is a big one.

# 131 bfett81 @ 06/12/16 06:10 PM
Donald Penn being on the injury screen leads me to believe they are telling us OL will actually get hurt this year.

# 132 roadman @ 06/12/16 06:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin23IU
And it's that kind of mentality that holds games back from being great. It wasn't high on the 2k16 wishlist either, but they did it anyway. No one expected that kind of customization from them last year, but they did it and blew away everyone's expectations. EA hypes first and then brings us things like "big decisions" which will probably become an annoyance after a few weeks, rather than delivering on innovative features. Pretty simple to see the difference between the two.

I don't mean this to be a debate between 2K and EA, that's not my intention. I just think it's ridiculous to say that they "can't" do something that is already being done.
There will be some things missing from the game that won't make everyone happy and while others will be satisfied or giddy to what has been included.

There were a few things missing in the game you are referring to that I wasn't too pleased about.

Big decisions could turn into MUT for me, for all I know, I ignore it, but there will be some people that will enjoy it.

# 133 bcruise @ 06/12/16 06:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfett81
Donald Penn being on the injury screen leads me to believe they are telling us OL will actually get hurt this year.
No, Price shot that down in his Q&A thread. That screen is more likely from a sim.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...postcount=1003

# 134 eastcoast49ers @ 06/12/16 06:13 PM
All of this is amazing and i have done my pre-order. No off-ball injuries is disappointing but hard to nitpick with all the great additions for '17. Here is my one last concern:

Formation Subs/Auto Subs. Will we be able to have formation subs in the franchise menu outside of the game and will the auto sub sliders actually work in franchise mode?

# 135 Gilley @ 06/12/16 06:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsGamer94
So Madden gets a pass now for screwing up an entire gen football? You can't compare Madden to 2k just because Tiburon screwed up? Last I heard they both cost 59.99. Far as I'm concerned they should be sued or give us our money back for the terrible games they put out last gen.
Anyway these additions are cool but I'm not getting overly exciting for things that should have been in the game years ago and I've already used in other games. This team is doing a great job with Madden they still have a long way to go but at least they are improving the game every year.
No one is giving them a pass man. Look at it this way. If features they once had are left out, then they are even further behind than they are with those features. You have to build a base before you can have tons and tons of new features. Look at NBA 2K and The Show, those games didn't become the games they are in one cycle. As far as being suing EA...you knew what you were dealing with before and they didn't take your money, you gave it to them.

# 136 Jimbo12308 @ 06/12/16 06:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise
No, Price shot that down in his Q&A thread. That screen is more likely from a sim.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...postcount=1003
Silly idea for a work-around here:

Since full player editing now exists, if you wanted to see O-line injuries you could hypothetically edit the injury rating of offensive lineman to 0. This would be awful if you simmed games/plays with that in place (since it would lead to excessive injuries) and it still wouldn't lead to off-ball injuries, but if your o-lineman picks up a fumble or makes a tackle on a turnover with an injury rating of 0 he would have a higher chance of getting hurt I assume, so you could hypothetically engineer some o-line injuries into the game, albeit very cheaply and with some work involved.

# 137 roadman @ 06/12/16 06:19 PM
Quote:
So Madden gets a pass now for screwing up an entire gen NFL football gaming? You can't compare Madden to 2k just because Tiburon screwed up? Last I heard they both cost 59.99. Far as I'm concerned they should be sued or give us our money back for the terrible games they put out last gen.
Anyway these additions are cool but I'm not getting overly exciting for things that should have been in the game years ago and I've already used in other games. This team is doing a great job with Madden they still have a long way to go but at least they are improving the game every year.
Not in the Madden forums SG, it leads to disruptive back and forths and eventually bans.

# 138 PVarck31 @ 06/12/16 06:20 PM
Alright. Enough with the 2K stuff. Back on-topic about franchise mode.

# 139 DeuceDouglas @ 06/12/16 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSquid
I'm happy with additions but outside of full player editing/ practice squads nothing had me go "wow".
Pretty much my same thoughts. The ticker and player editing are welcome additions that were long overdue. Full player editing isn't something huge for me but being able to rename rookies and contracts is nice. Injuries being reworked and having more created player faces are also positives.

Outside of that though I didn't really like anything else. Gameplanning is something I already know I'd want to always simulate but it seems like you may be penalized for that this year by not getting the boosts without running the drills/tutorials. The boosts are another thing I don't like but from the screenshot they seem like they'll be insignificant. Still, raising things like throw power or catch based on routes being ran seems odd to me.

Overall I was hoping for more depth in other places than another big focus on game prep, goals, and XP. Coaching staffs or even coordinators, coach carousel, fifth year options, waiver wire, 90-man rosters, restricted free agents, larger draft classes, improved scouting were the type of things I was looking for but it is what it is.

# 140 ConnSKINS26 @ 06/12/16 06:25 PM
Quote:
So Madden gets a pass now for screwing up an entire gen NFL football gaming? You can't compare Madden to 2k just because Tiburon screwed up? Last I heard they both cost 59.99. Far as I'm concerned they should be sued or give us our money back for the terrible games they put out last gen.
At some point you just have to get over the past and have realistic expectations. Being extremely unrealistic with your expectations because of how bad previous iterations were isn't fair at this point. They can't make a lightyear jump forward just because you think that in an ideal world they'd be far ahead of where they are now. They can only do so much in one year, and they had a deep hole to dig out of.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.