Home
Madden NFL 17 News Post

EA announced today in a new post on the Madden NFL blog that they have implemented several popular community requests into franchise mode. Let's take a look at them:

• Around The League Score Ticker: Be immersed in Sunday football, with the new Around The League Score Ticker. While playing your game, you will see score updates occur from games around the league. For example, if you’re playing a 1pm Sunday game, you will see score updates and stat lines for all the other 1pm games.
  • Full Player Editing: As the commissioner in your league, you now have the ability to customize almost everything about all the players. You will be able to adjust appearance, ratings, traits, and contract information for the entire league, letting you make tweaks as you see fit to alter players.
  • Practice Squad: Each team now has a 10-man Practice Squad that they can control week-to-week. It all starts in week 4 of the preseason. Instead of cutting players, you can now easily move eligible players to the Practice Squad where they will develop as you train the various position groups during weekly training.
  • Dynamic Development Trait: Each player’s development trait is the biggest defining factor in how he develops. Players with a Superstar trait will stay in the league longer and develop into the top tier talent, while players with the Slow trait will not make it in the league long.
  • Regression Feedback: As a coach or owner, you need to have a pulse on your team’s development and you need to know exactly when your team regresses and now you will in Madden NFL 17.
  • Player Card Improvements: The Player Card has been bolstered with three key improvements. The first is a way to quickly see all the attributes for a specific player and how they rank in the league based on overall rating. The second is a view so you can see the progression history for the player. This lets you see where all the XP came from and when ratings have been impacted whether through progression or regression. Last but not least, the player card is now accessible from more areas so you will always be just a step or two from seeing the information you want.

What do you think of these add-ons? Time for rejoicing for several right?

Game: Madden NFL 17Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 17 - View All
Member Comments
# 81 Trick13 @ 06/12/16 10:59 PM
I was so very pumped for the CFM blogs because somewhere in the marketing it said "redesigned" Franchise.

I am now super disappointed to say the least.

XP progression is bad, flawed, tragic, and a few adjectives we should not use in these forums. It would be fine for stupidstar mode - but for "SIM" coach/owner mode it just does not fit, period.

I should have regulated my excitement, but dang they had me going because (run fits, zone pattern matching, dope as heck commentary idea, running game move and catch rating separator).

I wanted to hear full coaching staffs, non XP progression, full scout staffs with no points spending, draft eligible players all have full scouting reports and varying accuracy dependant upon scout department's strengths and weaknesses, full user manipulation of draft board with up and down mobility impacting draft "stock", off season training schedule and...

Big Decision deal seems cool, injury part in particular feels like a move in the right direction. I am happy for supersim guys that it seems like that will be better. Practice squad is neat, but to me that is secondary because XP progression means those players will remain useless and superfluous. It seems that gameplan thing will be a great new take on things but "ratings boosts"??? Why, what ratings??? Play Recognition, sure, route running, ok, but what boosts and what is the logic?

Still zero OL injuries during played games so guess what every human team will have there - zero depth and no worries.

I was as excited as I have been in years leading up to these blogs, but now I have gone from pre order day one buyer to likely waiting a month. I will most likely get the game, but the CFM blogs really killed my enthusiasm.

Mainly, I hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate the XP progression system. Couple that with no expanded coaching staffs - which would be useless given that they kept XP progression and no change to what is, IMO, a garbage scouting system and I just really lost all the hype they had built in me with the game play improvement.

I should point out that I love the special teams changes they touted with new punts and blocks, love the direction of tiered moves, love the return of the 3 button timing kick meter, and am still a fan of the direction Rex and co are headed in overall, but I can't remain as hyped as I was because they did not "save the best for last"!!! I have to say that my crew and I are severely underwhelmed by the CFM blogs...

# 82 Beelzebot44 @ 06/12/16 11:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigOrangeVol4Life
CPU vs CPU in offline franchise?

It's still the deal breaker for me. I haven't bought this game since Madden 12 for this reason. If MLB The Show and NBA2k can both do it and be great, there's no reason why Madden can't.
I always see this and never understand. What is the purpose of this and why is it such a big deal? I've never even considered that I might need such a thing and I feel like I'm missing something.

# 83 MajorSupreme @ 06/12/16 11:00 PM
Quote:

It's still the deal breaker for me. I haven't bought this game since Madden 12 for this reason. If MLB The Show and NBA2k can both do it and be great, there's no reason why Madden can't.
It's "in" the game, just not in the traditional way

I think you have to start the game in Play The Moments, and then switcg to Slow Play, skipping the Moments, or something along those lines.

EDIT: I found it:
"There are three different options for the simulation speed to choose from while the game is looking for the next key moment. By default, you’ll be able to follow along using the Normal play-by-play option where you’ll see the drive lines draw on the field with a quick recap of each play as it’s being simulated. This is the perfect balance between speed and knowing what’s going on in the game. If you want to jump to the next moment quickly, you can select the Fast option. The third option, which has been a community request, lets you slow down the game so you can watch each play unfold on the field in live action using the broadcast camera."

# 84 MAGboyswifT27 @ 06/12/16 11:02 PM
Nice! Can't wait...

# 85 CM Hooe @ 06/12/16 11:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantBlue76
While I am impressed that they added practice squads and implemented them properly, what I've bolded in your post is exactly right. There is no reason to use the hours of GP to develop a guy on your practice squad. No one who plays in an online league will ever do this so the feature is completely wasted in that environment. If he was a guy who you REALLY wanted, you would have him on your active roster and be playing him to earn the XP much faster. HowAbout is correct. You're not going to use your precious game prep on a practice squad scrub when you can barely use any of it on backups who are on the active roster. It's nice they added it, but it's not going to be useful.

There are no more "hours" to allocate. See my post above. You pick two drills, and which drills you pick determines which position groups earn XP.

Practice squad players are basically stashed reserves who passively earn XP depending on what drills you choose to do, and you may also focus train them if you wish. There is no explicit resource to spend to improve an individual practice squad player, so the concern you have is addressed.

I do think you are correct that no one will focus train a practice squad player - those three slots of bonus XP are much better used for highly touted draft picks, QBs of the future, exceptional young talents, etc.

# 86 CM Hooe @ 06/12/16 11:07 PM
Quote:

I think Play The Moment will let you watch the game in real time in addition to its other play / simulate options, effectively providing a CPU vs CPU option without Tiburon explicitly implementing one. Let me double check that, however.

EDIT: see MajorSupreme's post above. It's in the game.

# 87 Trick13 @ 06/12/16 11:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
There are no more "hours" to allocate. See my post above. You pick two drills, and which drills you pick determines which position groups earn XP.

Practice squad players are basically stashed reserves who passively earn XP depending on what drills you choose to do, and you may also focus train them if you wish. There is no explicit resource to spend to improve an individual practice squad player, so the concern you have is addressed.

I do think you are correct that no one will focus train a practice squad player - those three slots of bonus XP are much better used for highly touted draft picks, QBs of the future, exceptional young talents, etc.
My complaint is this, if two position groups are being XP ed, what is the rest of my dang team doing? Riding a stationary bike? Sleeping in team meetings? Filming commercials??? Focus on three players? Coaches pets? Isn't the morale of my team going to be negatively impacted by such favoritism? Oh that's right, there isn't any chemistry or morale aspect to Madden, only real NFL teams are affected by such things...

Good golly miss Molly, XP progression has got to go...

Who ever came up with XP progression for Madden should count their lucky stars that I am not in charge - I would not fire that guy, as that would be too good for him/her - no I would torture said individual daily, get everyone's coffee, lunch, and dry cleaning, mop the floor, run around the building 20 times with a sign that says "stupid is as XP progression" and recite their entire pokemon card collection nightly before being allowed to clock out.

XP progression is without a doubt the dumbest, wait I forgot about "break away cam", never mind I forgot ring builder too, but it isn't that far off from Madden NFL's worst choices ever...

# 88 extremeskins04 @ 06/12/16 11:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trick13
My complaint is this, if two position groups are being XP ed, what is the rest of my dang team doing? Riding a stationary bike? Sleeping in team meetings? Filming commercials??? Focus on three players? Coaches pets? Isn't the morale of my team going to be negatively impacted by such favoritism? Oh that's right, there isn't any chemistry or morale aspect to Madden, only real NFL teams are affected by such things...

Who ever came up with XP progression for Madden should count their lucky stars that I am not in charge - I would not fire that guy, as that would be too good for him/her - no I would torture said individual daily, get everyone's coffee, lunch, and dry cleaning, mop the floor, run around the building 20 times with a sign that says "stupid is as XP progression" and recite their entire pokemon card collection nightly before being allowed to clock out.

XP progression is without a doubt the dumbest, wait I forgot about "break away cam", never mind I forgot ring builder too, but it isn't that far off from Madden NFL's worst choices ever...
The negativity here is bursting with fruit flavor.

# 89 CM Hooe @ 06/12/16 11:30 PM
Quote:

If you want a more palatable mindset for the drills - think of it as your coach putting his specific imprint on the team and your team becomes better at a certain style of play as a result. Ex. the 2014 Dallas Cowboys and their smash mouth running offense behind a well-developed offensive line and a running back who finally reached his potential would have spent a lot of time doing running drills as opposed to passing drills.

More bluntly - yes it is a contrived mechanic. It is contrived in order to give you the user an interesting gameplay decision to make each week, as to ensure you have agency in the experience of playing the video game. What kind of team do you want to be? What drills you choose each week will help answer that question.

And finally, Pokemon is still a great JRPG. :-)

# 90 DeuceDouglas @ 06/12/16 11:45 PM
Quote:
My complaint is this, if two position groups are being XP ed, what is the rest of my dang team doing?
This is my biggest issue with this entire implementation as well. I popped in Madden 16 and you could upgrade 7 players a week for XP with your 70 hours. 7! The entire system is so strange. Most players don't get XP when they practice but if you don't turn the ball over this week, the entire offensive unit gets XP. It makes no sense. It does seem to be slightly improved in terms of more players being able to gain XP but it will become even more comical if the practice squad players earn those same game day bonuses while not gaining XP most weeks for actually "practicing."

# 91 Trick13 @ 06/12/16 11:48 PM
Quote:
If you want a more palatable mindset for the drills - think of it as your coach putting his specific imprint on the team and your team becomes better at a certain style of play as a result. Ex. the 2014 Dallas Cowboys and their smash mouth running offense behind a well-developed offensive line and a running back who finally reached his potential would have spent a lot of time doing running drills as opposed to passing drills.

More bluntly - yes it is a contrived mechanic. It is contrived in order to give you the user an interesting gameplay decision to make each week, as to ensure you have agency in the experience of playing the video game. What kind of team do you want to be? What drills you choose each week will help answer that question.

And finally, Pokemon is still a great JRPG. :-)
Fair points, but I will always hate XP system. You are right, I can pull from dungeons and dragons and use my imagination to "justify" the allocation of drill exercises, but it doesn't really help because I still know it is a sad contrived system which is a gargantuan amount of inferior to having coaching staffs with attributes and players with potential and some user choices impact how players develop "under the hood" - with potential being hidden...

# 92 CM Hooe @ 06/12/16 11:57 PM
Quote:
Fair points, but I will always hate XP system. You are right, I can pull from dungeons and dragons and use my imagination to "justify" the allocation of drill exercises, but it doesn't really help because I still know it is a sad contrived system which is a gargantuan amount of inferior to having coaching staffs with attributes and players with potential and some user choices impact how players develop "under the hood" - with potential being hidden...

Personally I think that having direct interactive agency in determining the direction and progression of my team is always and forever better than simply assigning to my team some NPC characters and delegating all the effort and decision making of player progression to the computer. Why would I even bother picking up the controller at that point if I only have minimal influence over the outcome?

To that end we will agree to disagree as to whether XP progression is "sad" and "inferior".

# 93 kse79x @ 06/12/16 11:57 PM
I don't understand with so many being involved in online leagues, which in turn greatly expands the longevity of the game, how so little focus is put on improving things for online leagues.

I'm not a programmer but I don't see how hard it would be to add exhibition games to cfm leagues. Or even a draft board for those who can't make a draft. Ability to do more while away from console using the website would be great as well. Like scouting or letting commishes auto users, undo games or roster dumps.

I don't hate some of the changes but some seem to be very minor or not meant for online leagues. Editable players is great for offline I guess but leagues won't use that except maybe to change names.

# 94 howboutdat @ 06/13/16 12:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kse79x
I don't understand with so many being involved in online leagues, which in turn greatly expands the longevity of the game, how so little focus is put on improving things for online leagues.

I'm not a programmer but I don't see how hard it would be to add exhibition games to cfm leagues. Or even a draft board for those who can't make a draft. Ability to do more while away from console using the website would be great as well. Like scouting or letting commishes auto users, undo games or roster dumps.

I don't hate some of the changes but some seem to be very minor or not meant for online leagues. Editable players is great for offline I guess but leagues won't use that except maybe to change names.
Exactly, and again,its not just that above( while that is a large part), its the fact they said it was a new focus on it, more put into it than ever, and again as Rex said himself " saving the best for last", that wasn't marketing team that said that, it was him.

Then they release this info thats a major letdown to alot of us.Just not sure where they got all their community requests from.Because alot of them i didnt see anyone ask for, like the player card or the regression feedback, or key moments ( clearly for casuals) or big decision.... yet we cant get a friggin draft board, that would actually take care of two things people have been asking for. A draft board and being able to draft from web. The thing is, if we could set up a draft board to force the cpu to pick who we tell it to, then there is NO NEED to draft from web. Kills two requests in one feature. I said it months ago, no draft board, and i call it a failure. Not "next year" , this year. Man i just am about feed up with EA again.

# 95 NateDogPack12 @ 06/13/16 12:08 AM
Quote:

Trick, I just have to say I respectfully disagree with you. Blind, under-the-hood progression isn't satisfying as there is no user control. The gameplay apparatus seeks to create a system that can be fun and intuitive. In the NFL, players progress and break out on bad teams. Coaches affect this but not to the capacity they do in the NCAA.

I'm with you when it comes to the backwards nature and I would argue let's allocate XP in a one-time fashion like an NCAA-esque training camp, with smaller amounts rewarded in the season, but I also respect the fact that this system is enjoyable and strategic for a lot of people.

# 96 4thQtrStre5S @ 06/13/16 12:11 AM
Quote:
Personally I think that having direct interactive agency in determining the direction and progression of my team is always and forever better than simply assigning to my team some NPC characters and delegating all the effort and decision making of player progression to the computer. Why would I even bother picking up the controller at that point if I only have minimal influence over the outcome?

To that end we will agree to disagree as to whether XP progression is "sad" and "inferior".
I agree 100% ....

I very much prefer having a true hands-on effect on how my players develop; and there are real coaches who do have the mentality of wanting to be hands on with their players - owners too; Al Davis(RIP) and Jerry Jones, for example.

The XP system allows me to decide how I want to draft or sign FA's because I can now select players by attributes I can group together for XP allocation purposes or game plan focus for boosts. For example, I am of the understanding that there is a bigger gap in performance between a player with a 79 rating compared to one with an 80 rating in a given area, so I would want to get players with similar rating areas, and with ratings close to that next performance upgrade; and then game plan and allocate XP accordingly..

For game plans, I would want to run a playbook that may boost my 89 player to a 90; doing this seems to be a very efficient and effective use of a +1 boost to a given rating, where as a +1 boost to an 86 rating to increase to 87 isn't going to make much difference and would be a poor choice, IMO for a coach to do; but then this would also separate good coaches from fair coaches.

I am seeing a good bit of user involvement in how their team evolves and plays on the field, thus allowing more options for the hardcore player, while still allowing casuals to just set these allocations to "automatic." THis all sounds like a win/win for both sides of the Sim v. casual v. league users.

Anyway, my 2 cents; overall I am looking forward to Franchise mode this year.

# 97 redsox4evur @ 06/13/16 12:14 AM
My whole take on the XP system is I see it as a coach saying to a player during practice/offseason you need to improve on this. And you can do it by watching film, doing it practice/OTAs/Training Camp/etc., etc.

# 98 MajorSupreme @ 06/13/16 12:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox4evur
My whole take on the XP system is I see it as a coach saying to a player during practice/offseason you need to improve on this. And you can do it by watching film, doing it practice/OTAs/Training Camp/etc., etc.
I think of it similarly. Imagination can take you beyond the game's limits. Create your own fun.

# 99 4thQtrStre5S @ 06/13/16 12:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
I think everyone can admit the lack of a draft board is a big surprise considering the rush to add a place holder last year in a patch, after people complained.http://www.operationsports.com/news/...-a-watch-list/ I wonder after that how it managed to get left out again this year. Maybe they felt the watch list was adequate, idk because I didn't get to use it in M16.

I like to think, especially considering the patches/updates to M16, that a draft board could see its way into M17 after release.

# 100 roadman @ 06/13/16 12:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by howboutdat
Exactly, and again,its not just that above( while that is a large part), its the fact they said it was a new focus on it, more put into it than ever, and again as Rex said himself " saving the best for last", that wasn't marketing team that said that, it was him.

Then they release this info thats a major letdown to alot of us.Just not sure where they got all their community requests from.Because alot of them i didnt see anyone ask for, like the player card or the regression feedback, or key moments ( clearly for casuals) or big decision.... yet we cant get a friggin draft board, that would actually take care of two things people have been asking for. A draft board and being able to draft from web. The thing is, if we could set up a draft board to force the cpu to pick who we tell it to, then there is NO NEED to draft from web. Kills two requests in one feature. I said it months ago, no draft board, and i call it a failure. Not "next year" , this year. Man i just am about feed up with EA again.
They get their many community requests from websites not just OS, but websites similar to OS.

Here is a sample of one of them:

http://www.ranker.com/list/top-reque...xes/shopmaster

I don't see draft board in the top 50.

Plus, Shopmaster said he feels there is more info to drop for CFM.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.