Home
Madden NFL 17 News Post

EA announced today in a new post on the Madden NFL blog that they have implemented several popular community requests into franchise mode. Let's take a look at them:

• Around The League Score Ticker: Be immersed in Sunday football, with the new Around The League Score Ticker. While playing your game, you will see score updates occur from games around the league. For example, if you’re playing a 1pm Sunday game, you will see score updates and stat lines for all the other 1pm games.
  • Full Player Editing: As the commissioner in your league, you now have the ability to customize almost everything about all the players. You will be able to adjust appearance, ratings, traits, and contract information for the entire league, letting you make tweaks as you see fit to alter players.
  • Practice Squad: Each team now has a 10-man Practice Squad that they can control week-to-week. It all starts in week 4 of the preseason. Instead of cutting players, you can now easily move eligible players to the Practice Squad where they will develop as you train the various position groups during weekly training.
  • Dynamic Development Trait: Each player’s development trait is the biggest defining factor in how he develops. Players with a Superstar trait will stay in the league longer and develop into the top tier talent, while players with the Slow trait will not make it in the league long.
  • Regression Feedback: As a coach or owner, you need to have a pulse on your team’s development and you need to know exactly when your team regresses and now you will in Madden NFL 17.
  • Player Card Improvements: The Player Card has been bolstered with three key improvements. The first is a way to quickly see all the attributes for a specific player and how they rank in the league based on overall rating. The second is a view so you can see the progression history for the player. This lets you see where all the XP came from and when ratings have been impacted whether through progression or regression. Last but not least, the player card is now accessible from more areas so you will always be just a step or two from seeing the information you want.

What do you think of these add-ons? Time for rejoicing for several right?

Game: Madden NFL 17Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 17 - View All
Member Comments
# 101 reyes the roof @ 06/13/16 12:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NateDogPack12
Trick, I just have to say I respectfully disagree with you. Blind, under-the-hood progression isn't satisfying as there is no user control. The gameplay apparatus seeks to create a system that can be fun and intuitive. In the NFL, players progress and break out on bad teams. Coaches affect this but not to the capacity they do in the NCAA.

I'm with you when it comes to the backwards nature and I would argue let's allocate XP in a one-time fashion like an NCAA-esque training camp, with smaller amounts rewarded in the season, but I also respect the fact that this system is enjoyable and strategic for a lot of people.
I like that we can choose which areas guy progress in, what I don't like is that so many of the points you accumulate have in the past come from meeting certain statistical goals. Rather than judge my offensive lineman by how many yards my team passes or rushes for, I'd rather there be a way for the game to track how they actually are performing, not just sacks allowed but how often are you providing ample protection, or have you successfully completed you run blocking assignment and issue XP points accordingly.

# 102 Trick13 @ 06/13/16 12:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Personally I think that having direct interactive agency in determining the direction and progression of my team is always and forever better than simply assigning to my team some NPC characters and delegating all the effort and decision making of player progression to the computer. Why would I even bother picking up the controller at that point if I only have minimal influence over the outcome?

To that end we will agree to disagree as to whether XP progression is "sad" and "inferior".
To be blunt, the controller is for playing the game, not some fantasy stat/attribute balancing act - this isn't, or shouldn't be, Skyrim. In the actual NFL coaches can only "teach" techniques, they can require players to run certain drills, but they can't direct pass rushers into better zone coverage players by teaching pass rush technique. Or make guys faster by feeding them the ball repeatedly in meaningless blowouts or preseason games.

I get it that some people or types of people don't care how progression works or if it simulates anything near reality, but those people will play the same amount of Madden regardless - they are all playing that sad replicant of fantasy football anyway - it is called MUT.

The vast majority of franchise people are SIM people and those people, myself included, want the SIM part to extend to the roster management and development side as much, if not more, as we want it on the field.

Again, I like the general direction Red and CO are headed, I love some of the presentation, game play, and especially the commentary things. That being said, CFM was not redesigned - they[EA] said it not me, was not overhauled - again from their mouth/keyboard not mine, and that clearly isn't the case.

I am happy with many of the additions/returning features but...

Full Custom Packages
Full coaching staffs
Full scouting departments/reports
My draft board
Website improved functionality
Commissioner trade approval/undo
Commissioner set salary cap
User suspension/forced auto-pilot (4 rules violations)
Undrafted rookie FA signing period
Off ball injuries ( particularly OL players)
Trade difficulty slider for CPU to HUM opponent
Draft pick value chart/expanded trade window (over 3 players/picks)
Draft from my board, and from PC/website

That entire list I made was higher on my, and many others, wishlist than anything we got from the CFM blogs today...

Except for full editing, that was likely number one on most people's list, as it may help some alleviate some progression/regression issues created in large part by XP...

# 103 Playmakers @ 06/13/16 12:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kse79x
For someone who plays pretty much only in online leagues, I guess I dont get the big wanting of fully editable players. There is no reasonable scenario in a league id see that happen. I guess if you're playing by yourself, and want to beef up your players, have at it. Dont get the fun in that though anyways.

I was really hoping to see something on draft boards, exhibition games, and more powers for commissioners to undo roster dumps and even games that people will super cheese in. But from what it looks like, we wont be getting any of these.
Personally I'm excited about full player editing because I'm a huge fan of Classic rosters

This opens up many doors for me now to create amazing rosters and then I can use those rosters in CFM and create the draft classes to create even more older rosters

For example I can start out with a specific season 1990 and then create every draft class all the way up to 1999 if I need to now....

So I think this is a huge deal by EA allowing full player editing....

You'd be surprised as to how many Madden players love Classic teams and players outside of their current CFM rosters

# 104 roadman @ 06/13/16 12:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trick13
To be blunt, the controller is for playing the game, not some fantasy stat/attribute balancing act - this isn't, or shouldn't be, Skyrim. In the actual NFL coaches can only "teach" techniques, they can require players to run certain drills, but they can't direct pass rushers into better zone coverage players by teaching pass rush technique. Or make guys faster by feeding them the ball repeatedly in meaningless blowouts or preseason games.

I get it that some people or types of people don't care how progression works or if it simulates anything near reality, but those people will play the same amount of Madden regardless - they are all playing that sad replicant of fantasy football anyway - it is called MUT.

The vast majority of franchise people are SIM people and those people, myself included, want the SIM part to extend to the roster management and development side as much, if not more, as we want it on the field.

Again, I like the general direction Red and CO are headed, I love some of the presentation, game play, and especially the commentary things. That being said, CFM was not redesigned - they[EA] said it not me, was not overhauled - again from their mouth/keyboard not mine, and that clearly isn't the case.

I am happy with many of the additions/returning features but...

Full Custom Packages
Full coaching staffs
Full scouting departments/reports
My draft board
Website improved functionality
Commissioner trade approval/undo
Commissioner set salary cap
User suspension/forced auto-pilot (4 rules violations)
Undrafted rookie FA signing period
Off ball injuries ( particularly OL players)
Trade difficulty slider for CPU to HUM opponent
Draft pick value chart/expanded trade window (over 3 players/picks)
Draft from my board, and from PC/website

That entire list I made was higher on my, and many others, wishlist than anything we got from the CFM blogs today...
Yeah, I agree with your list and some others but the #1 request was full customization based on the website that I linked a few post above.

Based on what the developers have noted, it's all about priorities, timing and resources on what is in the game and what isn't.

Ok, I see you edited your post after I quoted it. Ok

# 105 BleedGreen710 @ 06/13/16 12:48 AM
I wish they just had a formula for auto progression like on NBA 2k. at end of season players go up or down based on a combination of their age, potential, and performance. theres even a slider to set from 1-100 how much players will progress and theres a slider for regression too so you can really make it exactly how you want it. its easy, simple, realistic, and doesn't feel like a gimmick at all. because its done right.

Madden's current XP progression system feels like something out of an arcade football mobile game you buy in the app store for $9.99. not like something you'd find in a top of the line sports title. in addition, while customization is a good thing - being able to pick and choose exactly what ratings to increase and by how much really takes me out of the realm of immersion.

Yeah, you can use your imagination and pretend like your the coach and you're telling that player to practice and improve those skills - but until theres variables that go into how much the player gains from it like you would find in real life (like a worth ethic rating or a rating for your coaches motivation) it just feels like one big gimmick. the fact that falling literally a few yards short of a season goal will net your player a lot less XP then someone else who got those yards is really just the icing on EA's yearly disappointment cake. I know what I'll be wishing for this year when I blow out the candles.

# 106 Smallville102001 @ 06/13/16 12:55 AM
I really like the Dynamic development trait. Its great that if you now have a great season with a player who's trait is low that you are not going to be stuck with a low trait for ever with him or have to spend all your XP on that trait if you want it to go up and then having like no XP left to improve different skills.

# 107 CM Hooe @ 06/13/16 01:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
I don't understand the "use your imagination" POV, on something that actually exists in Madden. For example defensive matchups aren't in period, so I can see maybe saying use your imagination that we have to scheme like defensive coordinators/coaches that don't use that tactic. However with XP and goals, those are actual things that are in the game and they are what they are, imagining they are something else is lying to ourselves, imo.

Not even remotely the same thing.

The attempt at conflating missing detailed strategic options with how the game designers choose to represent player growth and decline at a high level is completely disingenuous.

# 108 MajorSupreme @ 06/13/16 01:03 AM
Quote:
I don't understand the "use your imagination" POV, on something that actually exists in Madden. For example defensive matchups aren't in period, so I can see maybe saying use your imagination that we have to scheme like defensive coordinators/coaches that don't use that tactic. However with XP and goals, those are actual things that are in the game and they are what they are, imagining they are something else is lying to ourselves, imo.
Well that just sounds like a lack of imagination.

# 109 CM Hooe @ 06/13/16 01:05 AM
Quote:
To be blunt, the controller is for playing the game, not some fantasy stat/attribute balancing act - this isn't, or shouldn't be, Skyrim.

We fundamentally disagree on what constitutes "gameplay" in Franchise then.

I consider the acts of team building and player management as gameplay mechanics which impact my experience in the on-field core gameplay experience. I make decisions off the field, they impact my team's performance on the field. And vice-versa.

# 110 4thQtrStre5S @ 06/13/16 01:07 AM
Seems a lot of the complaints for CFM require the use of more "Under the hood," calculations, ie AI logic and programmers determination of how to set such AI/Logic formulas; and this from people who have complained about the logic in game play; I have to wonder, if the game play logic is not up to standard of real football fundamentals, why trust that same logic to run your franchise?

I prefer more user input.

# 111 Trick13 @ 06/13/16 01:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Yeah, I agree with your list and some others but the #1 request was full customization based on the website that I linked a few post above.

Based on what the developers have noted, it's all about priorities, timing and resources on what is in the game and what isn't.

Ok, I see you edited your post after I quoted it. Ok
Full editing you are talking bout. I edited my post to reflect my omission, but when I say full customization it doesn't stop at rosters - it would include create a play complete with every route in game, delayed blitzes, man coverage double teams, twists, stunts, custom packages, defensive assignments, settings/sliders for trades and FA signings/retention and even for CPU progression, cuz maybe I stink at gameplay so I want to play on Pro, but have the CPU trade, sign, and progress on All-Madden.

It would also include full custom draft classes, or at the very least some user parameters to determine positional attribute minimums/maximums and overall draft class depth - top heavy, deep, weak, and so forth. I don't really care about making upcoming college players, but not having attributes be messed up like 10 DTs every class over 80 SPD - heck I don't even care about the names all that much, let me create the classes and the game can randomly pick which class and generate fake names...

I get the priorities and understand not everything is getting in, but "my draft board" was pretty high on a lot of those lists, so is expanded website functionality, and you would think that given the chance to really have upward and downward movers and shakers in draft stock would lend itself nicely to creating a better draft experience within the game. Which adds immensely to the games playability and replay-ability...

# 112 MajorSupreme @ 06/13/16 01:12 AM
Quote:
Or an abundance of reality, depends on who you ask.
Haha nice, nice.

But I do get where you're coming from, no doubt. I dislike XP as well, really because it makes franchise mode more of a "game" than management. But at the end of the day, it's what you make it.

# 113 4thQtrStre5S @ 06/13/16 01:15 AM
Quote:
The system currently has the option to set Xp allocation to auto, I would at least like the option to hide all XP and goal visuals. I realize it would take no telling how long and what resources to remove this system, so again I just want to hide all the visuals and have it play out as is. Then I can use my imagination about what's happening because out of sight out of mind.
That is a fair request and would like that option too.

I look at setting XP allocation to "auto" as something similar to having coordinators.

# 114 khaliib @ 06/13/16 01:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmakers
Personally I'm excited about full player editing because I'm a huge fan of Classic rosters

This opens up many doors for me now to create amazing rosters and then I can use those rosters in CFM and create the draft classes to create even more older rosters

For example I can start out with a specific season 1990 and then create every draft class all the way up to 1999 if I need to now....

So I think this is a huge deal by EA allowing full player editing....

You'd be surprised as to how many Madden players love Classic teams and players outside of their current CFM rosters
On top of this, is the ability to actually tweak the "gameplay" to your liking with the ratings editing inside CFM, which surprises me that "gameplay" is taking a backseat to other aspects being mentioned here.

Both online and offline finally have a mechanism to clean up areas of "gameplay" we don't like...
- don't like the over the top OBJ catches, edit the Spec Catch so they don't trigger as often.

This ability is huge for gameplay purposes!!!

Will be interesting to see how this impacts Sliders?

# 115 DeuceDouglas @ 06/13/16 01:32 AM
One thing I was thinking about was if there are any rules in place when it comes to the PS players. Like, could I just sign any CPU's Practice Squad player to my roster, cut him and sign him to my practice squad at any time? Isn't that something that could be a constant issue or at least annoyance when it comes to online leagues? Also, are they just first come first serve as in as soon as you choose them they're on your PS with no counter offers allowed from other teams?

# 116 Trick13 @ 06/13/16 01:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
We fundamentally disagree on what constitutes "gameplay" in Franchise then.

I consider the acts of team building and player management as gameplay mechanics which impact my experience in the on-field core gameplay experience. I make decisions off the field, they impact my team's performance on the field. And vice-versa.
No, where we fundamentally disagree is on the methodology of simulating the development arc of professional athletes.

You prefer direct user control of specific attribute increases based on a system that doesn't require that player to even practice said skill. You could do pass rush drills all year long and use all that XP on zone coverage, which is, IMO, dumb. Now, I am not saying you are dumb, or that you cheat like that.

What I am saying is that I would rather have full coaching staffs with attributes out of my direct influence. I would hire/fire/replace said entities based on their strengths and weaknesses. Those attributes would impact player development in combination with the individual player's potential/development ratings.

Where I, the user, would influence this, is like the really real world where as the head honcho I would determine the schedule - team vs position group meetings, individual drills, one on one, 7 on 7, full team, with pads, hat n shells, strength and conditioning, film study, walk throughs and so forth based on off season, mini-camp, training-camp, preseason, regular season.

I could also influence what attributes may be impacted based on what set of drills I set for each position.

Example - running a 3-4 I would have OLB spend more time doing pass rush work, running a 4-3 I would assign them more coverage drills, if I was inclined to run a multi front defense I would have to maybe balance those drills.

Maybe I have excellent receiving TEs, and play in a division with pretty tough front seven groups, so I focus a lot of their group time on blocking, or chipping, or cutting routes short.

We fundamentally disagree because you don't see how amazingly in depth and yet exponentially less time consuming a good progression system would be when the user manages a schedule rather than micromanaging every single point of progression...

# 117 otfdre99 @ 06/13/16 01:40 AM
At least Top 15 Lowest I Go

# 118 NateDogPack12 @ 06/13/16 01:46 AM
Quote:
No, where we fundamentally disagree is on the methodology of simulating the development arc of professional athletes.

You prefer direct user control of specific attribute increases based on a system that doesn't require that player to even practice said skill. You could do pass rush drills all year long and use all that XP on zone coverage, which is, IMO, dumb. Now, I am not saying you are dumb, or that you cheat like that.

What I am saying is that I would rather have full coaching staffs with attributes out of my direct influence. I would hire/fire/replace said entities based on their strengths and weaknesses. Those attributes would impact player development in combination with the individual player's potential/development ratings.

Where I, the user, would influence this, is like the really real world where as the head honcho I would determine the schedule - team vs position group meetings, individual drills, one on one, 7 on 7, full team, with pads, hat n shells, strength and conditioning, film study, walk throughs and so forth based on off season, mini-camp, training-camp, preseason, regular season.

I could also influence what attributes may be impacted based on what set of drills I set for each position.

Example - running a 3-4 I would have OLB spend more time doing pass rush work, running a 4-3 I would assign them more coverage drills, if I was inclined to run a multi front defense I would have to maybe balance those drills.

Maybe I have excellent receiving TEs, and play in a division with pretty tough front seven groups, so I focus a lot of their group time on blocking, or chipping, or cutting routes short.

We fundamentally disagree because you don't see how amazingly in depth and yet exponentially less time consuming a good progression system would be when the user manages a schedule rather than micromanaging every single point of progression...

Listen, the day to day activities of coaching staffs in the NFL in terms of their meetings and what not - that stuff is largely the same across the league. It isn't enough to SIGNIFICANTLY impact player progression.

The same is the case with coaching staffs. Players blossom and regress all the while having minuscule and talented positional coaches respectively. The marginal differences that do occur the game already accounts for. Give McCarthy a bonus with QB's and CB's (Joe Whitt, Jr.) and give others similar bonuses. The game already does this. Certain coaches will grant WR's AWR + 3 for example.

Your proposed methodology is not only inadequate but it is fundamentally flawed. You're advocating for a bunch of monotonous processes.

# 119 NateDogPack12 @ 06/13/16 01:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by otfdre99
At least Top 15 Lowest I Go
What are you talking about?

# 120 scoobyskyline3 @ 06/13/16 02:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOTC Wayne
Anyone hear anything on them unrealisticlly dropping players attributes majorly at the age of 30 and beyond. For example a player speed could be 93 and once he turn 30 or 31 his speeds drops to 86 or something along those lines. It kills Free Agency with 95 overall players you cant use simply b/c of being butchered in speed at age of 30.

First off,it seems like everyone is being really negative here. Alot of additions in this madden are community based that i dont really care for like (fully editable players) bc im in an online league so we wouldnt touch it, but this was what the community asked for and we need to be thankful the devs are paying attention to our wishes and MAKING THEM HAPPEN.

KOTC Wayne i tweeted clint oldenburg and asked about speed regression just how you described it as well as CBs having more strength than DEs and LBs in the draft classes and he said it is fixed. From these pictures it seems as if they are losing about 2 points per year.

In addition,big decisions dealing with injuries and still having a slider will REALLY help our sim feel. Oline cant get hurt during play but with injuries more true to nfl style, I could see how having he practice squad would help and create a minigame for an online league with lots of users. I imagine id keep the freakishly athletic guys on the roster and fill in guys on the PS.

Im excited, theyve taken a major step in the right direction so im all in right now

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.