Home
Madden NFL 17 News Post

Madden NFL 17
is coming out of EA Play in a fairly strong position with tons of gameplay videos being shown off as of early this week (check out the OS homepage for all of them). Let’s go through some of the things that are looking good, and a few things which we’re still a little concerned about after the jump.

Read More - Madden NFL 17: Gearing Up For A Big Season

Game: Madden NFL 17Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 17 - View All
Member Comments
# 1 ShaiLeGran @ 06/22/16 09:59 AM
I like what has been shown so far Madden-wise. Apart from gameplay, what I would really like to see to make the over package complete, are pre-, halftime and postgame shows a la NBA2K, real game intro's similar to what we see in NBA2K, player specific talk and stat overlays like NBA2K and when going to a timeout, more like what you see in NBA2K (players talking and drinking, the coach giving feedback). Oh and some player interviews like what we see in NBA2K would be amazing as well. Mmm a lot needs to be taken from NBA2K imho

# 2 DeuceDouglas @ 06/22/16 10:03 AM
The Good: Zones, Ball Physics, new equipment
The Wait and See: Commentary, Special Teams
The Bad: CFM
The Ugly: Pass blocking

# 3 BSchwartz07 @ 06/22/16 10:31 AM
I'm very skeptical of this year's game. I say that because I don't think I've truly enjoyed a Madden game since 06.
The "big decisions" feature seems to me like a gimmick. I'd prefer Madden '04 where you could follow positions battles for every team, and would see who was named the starter before the season starts. This feels to me like UFC2 where you get a pop up that says "your guy got hurt" then you have option A and option B... not a whole lot to it.
As for the presentation, I don't get how almost every game out there is completely clueless with this. STOP trying to make some amazing EA sports network presentation. Just use CBS, FOX, and ESPN. Get the rights and seal the entire broadcast, you don't see them trying to make their own EA branded uniforms for teams, so why do that with the presentation? We get that EA makes the game, they make the ONLY football game out, I don't need their logo on every sign in the stadium, and on the broadcast ticker. On the last version of college basketball that EA made they used both CBS and ESPN presentations based on the game, even had different announcers in each broadcast. The game wasn't amazing, but the feel of the two different networks was great.
I could go on... New high res coaches, but no assistant coaches and no realistic coaching carousel. So, play a franchise and half the coaches will just switch to another team by year 3 and the rest will be generic made up coaches that look awful... I have purchased Madden every year since 99, I think this may be the first one that I sit out. I blame 2K for making such dramatic improvements to NBA2K every year while madden adds 2 features from 5 years ago and touts them as new and improved.

# 4 veguss2001 @ 06/22/16 10:58 AM
I don't if it's enough to get excited for but it's enough for me to upgrade. Not sure if that will be day one.

# 5 BezO @ 06/22/16 11:02 AM
Ehh, the bad section is a little lean. Tackling still looks bad and blocking interaction is terrible. Despite the addition of run fits, it appears they still haven't separated the offensive & defensive assignments. Defenders still look to engage prior to anything else. No working stunts. No separate coverage and blitz/stunt tiers. Running animations, especially changes in direction are still poor. They ignored some basic aspects of special teams despite the additions (gunner interaction, still pass blocking on FGs).

But this is the best Madden has looked, considering year to year expectations, in a long, long time. I'm not as enthused as many others about this year's release, but for the 1st time in many years, I'm looking forward to future releases. I'm hopeful that Frostbite is the answer to a lot of the legacy issues.

# 6 Noonie13 @ 06/22/16 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchwartz07
I'm very skeptical of this year's game. I say that because I don't think I've truly enjoyed a Madden game since 06.
The "big decisions" feature seems to me like a gimmick. I'd prefer Madden '04 where you could follow positions battles for every team, and would see who was named the starter before the season starts. This feels to me like UFC2 where you get a pop up that says "your guy got hurt" then you have option A and option B... not a whole lot to it.
As for the presentation, I don't get how almost every game out there is completely clueless with this. STOP trying to make some amazing EA sports network presentation. Just use CBS, FOX, and ESPN. Get the rights and seal the entire broadcast, you don't see them trying to make their own EA branded uniforms for teams, so why do that with the presentation? We get that EA makes the game, they make the ONLY football game out, I don't need their logo on every sign in the stadium, and on the broadcast ticker. On the last version of college basketball that EA made they used both CBS and ESPN presentations based on the game, even had different announcers in each broadcast. The game wasn't amazing, but the feel of the two different networks was great.
I could go on... New high res coaches, but no assistant coaches and no realistic coaching carousel. So, play a franchise and half the coaches will just switch to another team by year 3 and the rest will be generic made up coaches that look awful... I have purchased Madden every year since 99, I think this may be the first one that I sit out. I blame 2K for making such dramatic improvements to NBA2K every year while madden adds 2 features from 5 years ago and touts them as new and improved.
WORD.
But at least with NBA 2K, the presentation looks like true broadcast television. EA's entire take on presentation is completely fictional and overall arcade-y.

# 7 Cowboy008 @ 06/22/16 12:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas
100% agree with this.

# 8 Dazraz @ 06/22/16 12:30 PM
Great article. Agreed on the commentary. EA have made such promises. As for the Franchise Mode Menus being refreshed, I'll just be happy if they were quick to navigate like NBA 2K. Madden NFL 15 is always a chore to get things done due to combination of a poor layout, weird logic & annoying pauses when switching screens.

# 9 howboutdat @ 06/22/16 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazraz
As for the Franchise Mode Menus being refreshed, I'll just be happy if they were quick to navigate like NBA 2K. Madden NFL 15 is always a chore to get things done due to combination of a poor layout, weird logic & annoying pauses when switching screens.

My question is, how many friggin times they gotta "redo menus" to get this stuff right? i mean dang , seems like they spend half their time every year " redoing menus" and it still comes out half clunky and meanwhile spending that time on something that should already be good and not touching things really needed.Yet some here want to say , we are being too negative . Give me a friggin break. Every year, they have to redo menus, meanwhile not adding alot else. Thanks , color me not impressed, sorry . I would be fired from my job already 3 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palm Bay Pro
This times a million. It is incomprehensible for me that a feature that was supposed to the main focus got so very little attention. Just adding a few new features and calling it "the deepest franchise mode ever" doesn't mean much to me. So many things were left out.....

-assistant coaches

-draft boards

-expansion teams

Just to name a few. All I have to say is smh Madden smh

agree 100% - they hyped it up and it came out flat.Now we know the real reason why they waited till last to show it.

Also i wonder what is up with the EA CFM website, as John White has said he isnt ready to talk about it.They have not done any real upgrades to it for years now.We need more functioning to it. Knowing online leagues really need this and the functions it brings for our leagues, as well as it fuels DaddyLeagues , which is also an important part to many online leagues.

# 10 ShaiLeGran @ 06/22/16 01:15 PM
My problem with Madden is that it feels very shallow, like it aint a complete package. FIFA, NBA2K and The Show do give me this feeling of being the complete package. There are so many things to do in those games, even digging around in the menu's is sort of fun. And lots of unlockables to play for. Madden doesnt have anything like this.

# 11 Benz87 @ 06/22/16 02:51 PM
The most frightening thing i've seen in the gameplay clips thus far is pass blocking. There is more than one instance in gameplay videos of an o-lineman having a 1 on 1 with a d-lineman and simply letting him run by untouched to the QB. I understand these clips are "work in progress", but the development cycle is far enough in that I fear this may be a constant issue with this years title.

# 12 SolidSquid @ 06/22/16 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas
All the talk of "cfm being a focus for 17" after 16 released had me hopeful, then the cfm blog came and I was like ok where's the rest. They did nothing to make the mode feel more alive. How hard is it to rip the coaching carosouel from NCAA?

# 13 SolidSquid @ 06/22/16 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz87
The most frightening thing i've seen in the gameplay clips thus far is pass blocking. There is more than one instance in gameplay videos of an o-lineman having a 1 on 1 with a d-lineman and simply letting him run by untouched to the QB. I understand these clips are "work in progress", but the development cycle is far enough in that I fear this may be a constant issue with this years title.
Line interaction in general and blocked kicks and punts are my biggest worries right now

# 14 jmurphy31 @ 06/22/16 03:51 PM
I also agree with duece and the others about CFM being included in the bad. Not sure how it received all this attention and is being touted as the deepest franchise mode ever. (Maybe the deepest on this generation) but it is severely lacking in the depth department.

My hopes of commentary providing any type of immersion in my franchise are starting to fade as well.

# 15 SolidSquid @ 06/22/16 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurphy31
I also agree with duece and the others about CFM being included in the bad. Not sure how it received all this attention and is being touted as the deepest franchise mode ever. (Maybe the deepest on this generation) but it is severely lacking in the depth department.

My hopes of commentary providing any type of immersion in my franchise are starting to fade as well.
I do believe in the CFM blog they refer to it as the deepest in the past 4 years....not hard considering how much it was lacking.

# 16 jmurphy31 @ 06/22/16 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSquid
I do believe in the CFM blog they refer to it as the deepest in the past 4 years....not hard considering how much it was lacking.
Must of missed the past 4 years part. My bad, but they can really say that every year if they add one new thing and not take anything out. So technically I guess they were accurate. Though as you said, not that hard when so much has been removed from previous generations

# 17 roadman @ 06/22/16 10:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSquid
Actually, that was stated by Peter Moore at EA Play.

# 18 jpdavis82 @ 06/23/16 01:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurphy31

Your hopes of commentary providing immersion in CFM are starting to fade based on what???? There's going to be a lot more immersion in CFM with the commentary just based on the big decision stuff alone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 19 Gilley @ 06/23/16 01:28 AM
I feel like some of you guys are expecting too much, too soon.

# 20 jpdavis82 @ 06/23/16 01:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilley
I feel like some of you guys are expecting too much, too soon.

I don't think people understand how much time it takes to add new big features and get them to work properly. I feel like people's expectations for one cycle of CFM should be for 2-3 cycles. I was very impressed by the amount of improvements made to CFM this year and if we get formation subs and edit draft classes as part of continuous development still, I don't see how this year can be disappointing to people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.