Home
Madden NFL 17 News Post

It seems the likeness lawsuit settlements and final judgements continue to roll out against sport game makers -- the last announced today is Jim Brown receiving a $600,000 settlement from EA.

Check out the full press release:

Quote:
"Iconic running back and Hollywood actor Jim Brown has agreed to accept a voluntary judgment offered by Electronic Arts (EA) stemming from the use of his likeness in Madden NFL video games, according to Hagens Berman. EA will pay $600,000 in exchange for a dismissal and release of Brown’s claims.

Brown’s attorney Robert Carey praised the outcome, saying, “This recovery marks an important victory for plaintiffs in publicity-rights cases, and athletes in particular. Big business should think twice before it turns players’ hard-won identities and achievements into merchandise without permission or compensation.”

Brown concurred, “I took a stand for all athletes and laid a framework for future plaintiffs with my great legal team. Hopefully, this is a step forward in getting companies like Electronic Arts to recognize the value that athletes have in selling their products.”

EA’s best-selling Madden NFL football game allowed users to play as Brown’s team (the 1965 Cleveland Browns) and other historic franchises. Brown’s suit alleged that EA asked to use his likeness and that he expressly refused. EA nonetheless created an avatar in the game that mimicked Brown’s height, weight, skin color, experience, team, position and ability level.

The payment will exceed amounts EA has reportedly paid other athletes to appear not only in the game, but on the Madden NFL cover."

This is obviously just the latest of several lawsuits ongoing against EA for using likenesses within past sports games. The most famous of which was the Ed O'Bannon case which effectively ended the NCAA Football and Basketball series' from EA.

Game: Madden NFL 17Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 17 - View All
Member Comments
# 101 baconbits11 @ 07/01/16 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprice33
Asking you if you're trying to be obtuse is a personal attack?

Okay man.
OBTUSE
[əbˈt(y)o͞os, äbˈt(y)o͞os]

ADJECTIVE

1. annoyingly insensitive or slow to understand:
    "he wondered if the doctor was being deliberately obtuse"
    synonyms: stupid · slow-witted · slow · dull-witted · unintelligent · [more]
Basically calling me stupid and unintelligent is a personal attack. Then you continue to troll. Your violation of TOS is uncalled for and not worthy of further response. Hopefully someone responsible for monitoring these attacks will do something as your status of "Game Changer" should not elevate you above the rights of others on this board or punishment of someone else who would do the same.

# 102 baconbits11 @ 07/01/16 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
I'm reminded of glass homes and stones, like I referred to earlier, what about your personal attack on Jim Brown "being a jerk", is that supposed to be within the TOS because he isn't an OS member? I wonder what it is that makes you seem to acknowledge that this discussion or any discussions on OS should have some manner of respect regardless of anyone's opinion when it pertains to you but you didn't extend that same courtesy to Jim Brown.

"Check yo self before you wreck yo self"-O'Shea Jackson
Mr. Brown is a public celebrity, I'm entitled to my opinion of him, as have many others on this board expressed likewise. If he were a member and poster of OS that would be another situation and I would be expected to treat him differently. If he wants to come on here and express his displeasure, I would be subject to those rules. Your argument is baseless.

# 103 MajorSupreme @ 07/01/16 03:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
I'm reminded of glass homes and stones, like I referred to earlier, what about your personal attack on Jim Brown "being a jerk", is that supposed to be within the TOS because he isn't an OS member? I wonder what it is that makes you seem to acknowledge that this discussion or any discussions on OS should have some manner of respect regardless of anyone's opinion when it pertains to you but you didn't extend that same courtesy to Jim Brown.

"Check yo self before you wreck yo self"-O'Shea Jackson
Two wrongs don't make a right.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.