Home
MLB The Show 16 News Post

For those of you following the story on MLB The Show 16 bans, SCEA has posted an update on the situation.

Quote:
Our goal for MLB The Show 16 is to maintain a fair and competitive game community. It is absolutely paramount for us that the integrity of our online play, particularly modes like Diamond Dynasty where so many of our fans invest so much of their time and passion, remain intact. As such, we are constantly monitoring the server for unusual or potentially exploitive behaviors.

We recently discovered a glitch in the Community Market was being taken advantage of to double user Stubs and cards. In many cases, this was apparently done hundreds of times. In addition to violating the terms of service, this conduct gives abusing players an unfair advantage over others, negatively impacting gameplay and the shared marketplace.

In order to restore balance as quickly as possible, we suspended approximately 200 user accounts that were exhibiting unusual behavior as we worked to diagnose and fix the exploit. Again, our top priority is to protect the broader community and the integrity of their experience with The Show. With the vulnerability now addressed, we’ve gone deeper into the telemetry and are reactivating select accounts.

As always, we will strive to improve our ability to communicate these types of situations as they arise and develop. We‘re grateful for the understanding and patience of the entire MLB The Show community, and for helping us make this the best place to play baseball.

If you have any questions or concerns, please email [email protected].

If you were one of the "approximately 200 user accounts" that were banned, let us know if your ban was lifted or not. No official word has been given on whether lifted users will receive any sort of compensation.

Game: MLB The Show 16Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 23 - View All
MLB The Show 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Jaytal6 @ 07/02/16 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox4evur
also they never said that all bans were perma bans either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On Twitter, Ramone said that bans would not be reversed. I received no reply when I tried to contact them about the ban. I play DD almost exclusively. Like I said before, if they simply said, "Your account has been suspended pending an investigation into your market activity, and possible cheating." I could have cooperated with them and assisted them in their investigation. Without this, I was left to conclude that I was permanently banned (since that was possible) and saw no need to keep a game, I couldn't play. And who wants to boot up a game that constantly reminds you that you were banned for cheating. You don't have agree, but I believe that particular compensation is fair. And let's be clear, I expect nothing more than that. I have not asked for, or expect, compensation for my wrongful banning. Their lack of communication reasonably led me to conclude that I was gone for good.

# 22 redsox4evur @ 07/02/16 12:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaytal6
On Twitter, Ramone said that bans would not be reversed. I received no reply when I tried to contact them about the ban. I play DD almost exclusively. Like I said before, if they simply said, "Your account has been suspended pending an investigation into your market activity, and possible cheating." I could have cooperated with them and assisted them in their investigation. Without this, I was left to conclude that I was permanently banned (since that was possible) and saw no need to keep a game, I couldn't play. And who wants to boot up a game that constantly reminds you that you were banned for cheating. You don't have agree, but I believe that particular compensation is fair. And let's be clear, I expect nothing more than that. I have not asked for, or expect, compensation for my wrongful banning. Their lack of communication reasonably led me to conclude that I was gone for good.

I don't care what one guy says on Twitter. It said on TSN that it would result in suspensions or permanent bans. And that was before the mass happened. So you should've waited longer than less than a week for your situation to get cleared up.

# 23 kehlis @ 07/02/16 12:15 PM
Quote:
I don't care what one guy says on Twitter. It said on TSN that it would result in suspensions or permanent bans. And that was before the mass happened.

I don't know about that. Ramone is a pretty big "one person" to believe.

# 24 redsox4evur @ 07/02/16 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
I don't know about that. Ramone is a pretty big "one person" to believe.

True but still should've waited longer than like 3/4 days for this to be resolved as I had edited into my post. Wait a week and a half or so.

# 25 Ghost Of The Year @ 07/02/16 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by underdog13
Looks like they unbanned everyone of the 200.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Source?
_______

# 26 Jaytal6 @ 07/02/16 12:36 PM
Quote:
I don't care what one guy says on Twitter. It said on TSN that it would result in suspensions or permanent bans. And that was before the mass happened. So you should've waited longer than less than a week for your situation to get cleared up.

You don't understand what I'm saying at all. Did you even read my post?

# 27 underdog13 @ 07/02/16 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Of The Year
Source?
_______
Myself, looking on twitter, reddit, and here I have only seen people saying they were unbanned. Not one person saying they were still banned. While it may be likely they would keep quiet, what's more likely is SDS realized how bad they screwed up and unbanned everyone. There wasn't one person out of the alleged 200 that said they did it or posted how to use this glitch.

# 28 kehlis @ 07/02/16 12:59 PM
Quote:
You don't understand what I'm saying at all. Did you even read my post?

To be fair it doesn't seem highly likely that in the 24 hours since you've joined you've both snapped the disk and then went out and bought a new copy.

# 29 countryboy @ 07/02/16 01:42 PM
Another classic thread in the making....let's watch..

# 30 WaitTilNextYear @ 07/02/16 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubernoob
That's Ramone's personal Twitter. If people want to seek him out in a public way, he can respond however he wants in a public way. It's not like he was tweeting from The Show official account calling people out. That would be unprofessional.

Just because we have unprecedented ways to access people through personal channels doesn't mean that relationship is there magically.
Not necessarily. Employees who are public figures (Ramone is pretty public and The Show community is very familiar with him given he is the community liason/manager) can even get fired for what they say on their own Twitter accounts. Ramone was handling company business on his own account--he doesn't have immunity to say whatever he wants there and I'll bet someone told him to chill since his account went quiet for a bit as SDS was getting ready to backtrack. Sometimes, Ramone posts the same Tweets from his personal account and the MLB_The_Show account so the lines are also very blurry.

I'll stop short of saying it was unprofessional given the nature of the toxic waste Tweets he was getting from some exceptionally crappy people (note how everyone who wants to blame SDS for this whole thing skip over all the hateful Tweets some sent in). Not everyone resorts to hate speech when video gaming doesn't go their way and there really is no excusing some of those comments that were made to Ramone.

Quote:
My Ban was lifted. Jaytal6 PS3. Banned, not suspended. They describe it as a suspension in the explanation to the community, but on my console and on Twitter, it was an irreversible ban. I got rid of my game because I had enough of them and figured I was permanently banned. After the ban was reversed, I needed to get another game disk. They never responded to my emails, twitter, and banned me from the forum so I couldn't interact with them there. I don't think it's unreasonable that they compensate me for the cost of a game disk. If they had said that my account was being suspended pending an investigation into my market activity, I would have waited for the process to complete. All indications were that I was not coming back.
Congrats on your unbanning, but getting rid of your disc so soon was just not a great decision. PermaBan or not, it doesn't seem wise given that an investigation was playing out and especially if you thought you were innocent all along, you know??? I mean if you knew for a fact you were innocent, then it was only a matter of time before you were reinstated.

I think it's unreasonable for you to ask for a new disc because you're basically saying any snap decision you make about the game is their fault. What if I get mad about a glitch in the game and snap my disc; is that Sony's fault also? Or is it my fault for being over-emotional?

As a practical matter, they wouldn't be able to know for sure if you still had your disc or not and you were just trying to get a freebie anyway.

# 31 oski96 @ 07/02/16 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear

I think it's unreasonable for you to ask for a new disc because you're basically saying any snap decision you make about the game is their fault. What if I get mad about a glitch in the game and snap my disc; is that Sony's fault also? Or is it my fault for being over-emotional?

It looks like SDS was the one making the "snap decisions" here.

# 32 Heroesandvillains @ 07/02/16 03:10 PM
Quote:
Not necessarily. Employees who are public figures (Ramone is pretty public and The Show community is very familiar with him given he is the community liason/manager) can even get fired for what they say on their own Twitter accounts. Ramone was handling company business on his own account--he doesn't have immunity to say whatever he wants there and I'll bet someone told him to chill since his account went quiet for a bit as SDS was getting ready to backtrack. Sometimes, Ramone posts the same Tweets from his personal account and the MLB_The_Show account so the lines are also very blurry.

I'll stop short of saying it was unprofessional given the nature of the toxic waste Tweets he was getting from some exceptionally crappy people (note how everyone who wants to blame SDS for this whole thing skip over all the hateful Tweets some sent in). Not everyone resorts to hate speech when video gaming doesn't go their way and there really is no excusing some of those comments that were made to Ramone.

Congrats on your unbanning, but getting rid of your disc so soon was just not a great decision. PermaBan or not, it doesn't seem wise given that an investigation was playing out and especially if you thought you were innocent all along, you know??? I mean if you knew for a fact you were innocent, then it was only a matter of time before you were reinstated.

As a practical matter, they wouldn't be able to know for sure if you still had your disc or not and you were just trying to get a freebie anyway.
When a community manager and developer publicly states that bans would be irreversible, and the user doesn't get a response when communicating through official channels, how can anyone have reasonably assumed they should have held onto a depreciating asset while hoping for something to occur they were explicitly told would not occur?

# 33 WaitTilNextYear @ 07/02/16 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oski96
It looks like SDS was the one making the "snap decisions" here.
You're not wrong, but that doesn't make it ok for you as a user to just do whatever and expect them to compensate you for whatever you did. Compensation for time lost grinding for stubs is one thing, but replacing things they didn't force you to get rid of is quite another.

I mean what innocent gamer would get rid of their game right away if they still wanted to play it? I could understand getting rid of the disc on principle or to protest, but you can't expect to gain compensation afterward.

# 34 WaitTilNextYear @ 07/02/16 03:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heroesandvillains
When a community manager and developer publicly states that bans would be irreversible, and the user doesn't get a response when communicating through official channels, how can anyone have reasonably assumed they should have held onto a depreciating asset while hoping for something to occur they were explicitly told would not occur?
The key piece here is that if the guy was innocent, he would've known for sure that he was innocent. Getting a response and getting unbanned would only be a matter of how long it would take. And that's exactly how it happened. It only took a handful of days.

No one in their right mind would take even Ramone's word as gospel for a crime they knew they did not commit. If the guy wanted to keep playing and knew he was innocent, selling the disc makes no sense at all...unless he was scheming to the incredible degree of turning a small profit on his current disc with the hope he would get a new copy as compensation. I don't consider this scenario at all likely. More likely, the guy just got really emotional and zigged when he could've zagged.

# 35 Heroesandvillains @ 07/02/16 03:21 PM
I don't disagree that selling the game as fast as he did was maybe a little too fast compared to what I would have personally done. We're on the same page there. But when you ask "what innocent gamer would get rid of their game right away," well, apparently, the answer is that guy!

I personally don't feel he should be monetarily compensated (you don't really own games anymore these days. Just a right to play them and abide by the TOS). But I don't begrudge him for selling the game and now feeling a little ticked he was unbanned, considering all bans were supposedly irreversible.

Man, I've been away from The Show for awhile. This game was always pretty controversy free! What a mess!

# 36 19 @ 07/02/16 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by underdog13
Looks like they unbanned everyone of the 200.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
Obligatory.

# 37 Jaytal6 @ 07/02/16 03:44 PM
Quote:

There was NO investigation at that time at all. It wasn't a snap decision. I don't expect compensation for a new disk. Being innocent is no assurance of being reinstated. It's like you guys are starting to make crap up, as if it was fact. Like it was always the plan to unbanned everybody. And over emotional? Are you serious?

# 38 Jaytal6 @ 07/02/16 03:50 PM
Quote:
The key piece here is that if the guy was innocent, he would've known for sure that he was innocent. Getting a response and getting unbanned would only be a matter of how long it would take. And that's exactly how it happened. It only took a handful of days.

No one in their right mind would take even Ramone's word as gospel for a crime they knew they did not commit. If the guy wanted to keep playing and knew he was innocent, selling the disc makes no sense at all...unless he was scheming to the incredible degree of turning a small profit on his current disc with the hope he would get a new copy as compensation. I don't consider this scenario at all likely. More likely, the guy just got really emotional and zigged when he could've zagged.
Wow, you're right. God, you nailed me. I thought I was going to get away with it too. I severely underestimated you guys. My bad.

# 39 countryboy @ 07/02/16 04:04 PM
Glad to see that SDS is reinstating those accounts who weren't too erroneous in their actions.

# 40 WaitTilNextYear @ 07/02/16 04:25 PM
Quote:
There was NO investigation at that time at all. It wasn't a snap decision. I don't expect compensation for a new disk. Being innocent is no assurance of being reinstated. It's like you guys are starting to make crap up, as if it was fact. Like it was always the plan to unbanned everybody. And over emotional? Are you serious?
Let me handle some of these one at a time...

1. There certainly was an investigation going on; it was just flawed in the results. Perhaps there weren't many public details given about the investigation, but it was certainly happening. And then again when they issued a tweet about looking into the matter further. Once they figured out their investigation was erroneous and kept investigating, things started to get cleared up and a public statement was made. They are probably still investigating so they don't get so much egg on their face next time. A company doesn't make light of banning some of its highest spending members and then having to un-ban some/all of them.

2. It was a snap decision in the sense that people were getting bothered that their email queries weren't being replied to on the very same day this issue broke. What is the normal turnaround time for an email response from a business in times of high volume? In my experience, I rarely ever get a response from a business on the same day I email them unless I am offering to buy something, lol. The fact that it was 6 hours or 12 hours later and still no reply, people were making it seem more like a month. Even if you considered your decision impeccably and fully, the outcome didn't turn out all that well seeing the situation you're in now with wanting to play the game and not having it anymore.

3. It was your own post about it not being unreasonable for you to get a new disc as compensation that started this conversation, so that's sort of where this whole discussion started--with you strongly suggesting that you deserved a new disc for your troubles. And now you say that you're not actually seeking a new disc out?

4. Dead serious. A lot of you guys took the bans as an assault on your character and moral fiber (rightly or wrongly) and went on 1500 word missives on OS/Twitter/etc. I would say that's textbook over-emotional. I'm not saying I would've reacted any differently, I am just saying that it was a very emotional reaction that many of you guys had. I don't think that's really up for debate; the emotion and outrage was really, really obvious to everybody.

Quote:
Wow, you're right. God, you nailed me. I thought I was going to get away with it too. I severely underestimated you guys. My bad.
If you had read my full post, you would've seen where I discounted that conspiracy in favor of you getting rid of the game as a decision in the moment.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.