Home
FIFA 17 News Post

EA has posted an interview with FIFA 17 lead gameplay producer Sam Rivera, as he goes in-depth about how set pieces have changed. Make sure to check out the new trailer here, going over more details.

What is Set Piece Rewrite?

Set pieces in FIFA had used the same system for many years and it was time for a change. We've looked at every aspect of set pieces in the game - free kicks, penalties, corners, throw-ins - to give players greater freedom and control in how they take them.

For example, our corner kick mechanics in FIFA 17 is very different from earlier years and feels really fun. There are now many more ways you can take a corner, leading to more scoring chances or other attacking opportunities.

Just how different are corners?

First of all, the aiming is different. In the past, the longer you held a button, the further the ball travelled because of the added power. Now, using the left stick allows you to aim exactly where in the box you want the cross delivered. This works by moving a reticule on the screen that represents the target of your cross. Tapping the button results in a ball that has a loopy trajectory, good when aiming for the far post or taller players. However if you hold the button longer then you'll have a more driven trajectory ball, for a near post move, or a flick on.

You can also switch to and control players in the box, which allows you to adjust where they are in the area. You can move them around to create greater space and a better attempt on goal.

What about penalties?

Penalties are really cool this year. You can now adjust your starting position and control how you approach the ball. Obviously the faster you approach the ball the more power you have in your shot. It's also more likely you could mess up the shot, so there is a decision to make before taking a strike. When you power up you will have the same shooting mechanic as in regular gameplay - the longer you power up, the higher and harder the ball travels.

Is this the same for free kicks?

Yes, it's very similar for free kicks. You place yourself behind the ball where you want to start your run. Your placement behind the ball will affect the spin. The further back you go, the more power you can get in your shot. You can decide to shoot from the inside or outside of the ball to adjust your shot. As with penalties, the longer you hold, the more power and elevations you get in each shot.

What about throw-ins, anything new there?

We have a few new thing with throw-ins. In the past, players did not have the freedom to move along the touchline. Now, the thrower can walk the line to gain a better position on the throw.

You can also do fake throws. This works in the same way as when you take a fake shot; you start your pass but a quick press of another button stops your throwing motion. This allows you to fake out your opponent and potentially pass the ball to an unmarked player.

Game: FIFA 17Reader Score: Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 0 - View All
Member Comments
# 1 Entiae @ 07/07/16 02:23 PM
I think this looks a lot more fun than the current system!

# 2 wallofhate @ 07/07/16 03:08 PM
The lighting and the unis look incredible. I like all the new additions a lot the realism is crazy

# 3 Joonlarjj @ 07/07/16 03:11 PM
Really hope that little aimer reticule doesn't make corners too easy and accurate

# 4 Matt10 @ 07/07/16 04:00 PM
Something concerns me about the way the ball looks in these videos. It "feels" too floatyand too assisted. I don't have a sense of freedom with it. There's a significant difference in the mo-cap clips vs the translation into the in-game. I think the initial velocity of the strikes have got to be more pronounced. Whether the ball swerves afterwards or not, it can't be done without some initial velocity from the force of the kick. At the moment, it looks more liked a balloon deflating out of orbit, than proper football flight. Just my thoughts.

# 5 DBMcGee3 @ 07/07/16 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joonlarjj
Really hope that little aimer reticule doesn't make corners too easy and accurate
That worries me as well. I already had to make myself stop controlling the receivers on corners and FKs because it was too easy to place the cross.

# 6 PAPERNUT @ 07/07/16 05:41 PM
Means nothing unless we can get more realistic fouls in the game in order to get more opportunities to use the system. They really need to overhaul player traits as we should see certain enforcers on teams laying down the law at a high rate each game.

# 7 JStapley @ 07/07/16 07:25 PM
I've never liked the corner system so I'm definitely intrigued by this change.

# 8 flo182 @ 07/08/16 06:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt10
Something concerns me about the way the ball looks in these videos. It "feels" too floatyand too assisted. I don't have a sense of freedom with it. There's a significant difference in the mo-cap clips vs the translation into the in-game. I think the initial velocity of the strikes have got to be more pronounced. Whether the ball swerves afterwards or not, it can't be done without some initial velocity from the force of the kick. At the moment, it looks more liked a balloon deflating out of orbit, than proper football flight. Just my thoughts.
Totally agree with you. Something feels weird the moment they hit the ball.

# 9 orion523 @ 07/11/16 09:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt10
First off, the good. The video looks absolutely incredible, miles better than 16. Now about the ball flight. For me it all looks too "artificial" if that makes any sense. I'm hoping the artificiality of it all is a byproduct of assisted controls being the default setting, and that the ball's flight will look more natural with manual controls enabled. Time of course will tell.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.