Home
WWE 2K17 News Post

The WWE video game series lingered around directionless for years. The graphics weren’t great, gameplay was stale and it often didn’t feel like a wrestling game at all. Once it got brought under the 2K umbrella, fans of other 2K series’ immediately had high hopes and felt the series would finally make a leap to the next level. After a few years in the partnership, there is reason for optimism. Let’s take a look at a few things WWE 2K17 should focus on improving.

Read More - WWE 2K17: Keys to Success

Game: WWE 2K17Reader Score: Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 0 - View All
Member Comments
# 1 Guapo516 @ 07/13/16 01:41 PM
Just reskin day of reckoning 2. Those GameCube n64 wrestling games have a fun factor unmatched. I wish they'd find a happy medium with what they're attempting to do and what those Nintendo series have do done in the past.

# 2 Vizen @ 07/13/16 04:27 PM
Take a page from Fire Pro Wrestling's creation ability. You can get any wrestler to perform like their real life counter-part.

# 3 theonlybstew @ 07/13/16 04:55 PM
Bring back the weight classes. I no longer want Kalisto suplexing Andre the Giant.

# 4 bxphenom7 @ 07/13/16 07:24 PM
This is all great. I really hope the career gets improved much more because the foundation is there but it got old quickly. WWE 2k16 was a strong foundation all around, but I hope WWE 2k17 comes with a wealth of improvements that prolong the game. Within a month, I lost all interest in 2k16 and deleted it off my PS4.

# 5 cattlekiller @ 07/14/16 12:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizen
Take a page from Fire Pro Wrestling's creation ability. You can get any wrestler to perform like their real life counter-part.
I think this is what the game needs more than anything.Some type of control over how a wrestler behaves in the ring. I disagree with they should make this into a fighting game.Fighting in is the exact opposite of pro wrestling.In fighting you forcefully work against your opponent to make the fight end while taking little damage as possible, while in pro wrestling you play a game of give and take to work with your opponent to create a great match for the fans to enjoy.So I don't know why they don't add this to the gameplay.Some older Japanese wrestling games have this and a grade system on your matches. Overall I like the direction 2k has taken the series so far.But it is still pretty far from looking like a real match on TV as far as in ring action, the graphics are the least of the games issues in my opinion.

# 6 CujoMatty @ 07/14/16 02:39 AM
I agree with all these points but the biggest problem to me is the commentary.

# 7 jaredsmith83 @ 07/14/16 05:39 AM
I really liked 2K16 compared to 2K15. There were definite improvements. I think once they get the awkwardness from stuff in the ring (suplexes where legs hit the ropes still comes to mind) then the gameplay part of it will be even better. Maybe a bit of tweaking with the submission system. Graphically, though, they're on par with some of the top games and that's no concern at all.

I do hope that Career/Universe gets the bulk of the attention. Both modes are great, but lose their replay ability after so long. Unless you've got enough time to be able to edit everything. It gets old having a long feud and those two guys face off most every week in a match, then a PPV match as well. The editing menu could get a bit cumbersome at times. Career mode falls flat even quicker for me. It was weird in how you would get the title shots at first, but then it became like universe mode from there, just a bunch of singles matches with the person you're feuding with, leading up to the PPV match. If the feuds have some life to them, or at least some variance from a bunch of singles matches and random cut scenes with your feud opponent on commentary or doing a run in, then they'll really be helping those modes.

# 8 DBMcGee3 @ 07/14/16 09:19 AM
All about the Universe for me. Give us more rivalry slots, more customization over rivalries, and better presentation over the whole thing. I'd love to see more run ins and match interferences as part of the rivalries as well. Maybe some of them give the player a chance to defend themselves, while others could be totally scripted, as you watch your guy get pummeled and left for an easy pinfall.

They really need to figure out how to use managers as well. The current system is so annoying and predictable, I basically avoid putting managers in matches altogether. You should also be able to assign managers to certain wrestlers in Universe mode, never understood why that wasn't an option.

Another thing I'm hopeful on is a return to greatness on the entrance creator. Last year they took away so many of the classic entrance movements that had been in the game for years, I just don't understand why. It's also crucial to get the ability to import theme music back into the game. The PS4 is surely capable of this.

At the end of the day, I have faith in 2k. They've made great improvements in the couple of years they've had the license. Hopefully they listen to the fans and figure this all out. No problem waiting another year if they don't get it right this time out.

# 9 SolidSquid @ 07/14/16 11:45 AM
I want to be able to pick who wins and loses matches with out playing them, let me choose who interferes in matches, let me break up a tag team and make them feud, I just feel there isn't enough creativity in universe mode it's like 2k only lets you play within the frame work of how they want you to play.

# 10 Gramps91 @ 07/14/16 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guapo516
Just reskin day of reckoning 2. Those GameCube n64 wrestling games have a fun factor unmatched. I wish they'd find a happy medium with what they're attempting to do and what those Nintendo series have do done in the past.
I agree with this COMPLETELY. DOR and No Mercy were to date the most fun I've ever had with wrestling games. The One on One match gameplay has been unmatched to those games. I would also like to see a lot more focus on Universe mode. I have no interest at all in Showcase mode.

# 11 DBMcGee3 @ 07/15/16 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaterofworlds888
I agree with this COMPLETELY. DOR and No Mercy were to date the most fun I've ever had with wrestling games. The One on One match gameplay has been unmatched to those games. I would also like to see a lot more focus on Universe mode. I have no interest at all in Showcase mode.
Seems to me like they could go a long way towards getting back the No Mercy magic by just having separate reversal buttons for strikes and grapples. That's what always made those games so addictive to me, the constant guessing game of what your opponent would throw at you next.

The current reversal system, although vastly improved last year with the limit being added, is just too easy and usually results in neither guy ever being able to string together more than a few moves at a time. There should be an advantage to having a guy down and/or on the defensive, so it requires an act of skill to turn the tide.

# 12 Gramps91 @ 07/15/16 06:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBMcGee3
Seems to me like they could go a long way towards getting back the No Mercy magic by just having separate reversal buttons for strikes and grapples. That's what always made those games so addictive to me, the constant guessing game of what your opponent would throw at you next.

The current reversal system, although vastly improved last year with the limit being added, is just too easy and usually results in neither guy ever being able to string together more than a few moves at a time. There should be an advantage to having a guy down and/or on the defensive, so it requires an act of skill to turn the tide.
That would certainly be a step in the right direction. The controls for No Mercy and DOR were just better overall IMO. Personally, though I just miss the gameplay. DOR had this feature where the screen would shake when you'd pull off a finisher which I thought added to the "feel" of a strong finisher. It also gave all superstars the comeback option so the match could turn at anytime. I also miss the random interference option from DOR. No Mercy probably had my favorite control and move system of any wrestling game ever. There were plenty of grapple moves for each superstar and it was extremely easy to be able to pull off distinctly different ones each time. I also miss the old huds and building up and stocking specials. I know the newer games have that but I liked it better when you were in a "Special" state for only a certain amount of time.

# 13 theonlybstew @ 07/15/16 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaispeed2012
there are weight classes.. anyone below 75 cannot suplex super heavyweights jesus this damn forum and the idiots that live here
Bruh, I'm not talking about SvR 07.

# 14 theonlybstew @ 07/15/16 09:31 PM
And I'm also not talking about ratings.

# 15 TheBleedingRed21 @ 07/16/16 07:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theonlybstew
Bruh, I'm not talking about SvR 07.
Even though he added parts not needed, he's right. There are weight classes. You're misinformed.

# 16 theonlybstew @ 07/16/16 08:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBleedingRed21
Even though he added parts not needed, he's right. There are weight classes. You're misinformed.
What I meant was, in the older games, if a lightweight tried a power move against a heavy/super heavyweight, he would be unsuccessful and would lose health/energy. Now I see Tyler Breeze can hip toss Big Show and Andre the Giant is performing Enzuigiris. I know what I'm seeing. Id would post video on here if I could.

# 17 Clarityman @ 07/18/16 02:57 AM
How about make it so it's not so freaking easy to kick out at one?

The TWO COUNT is a major part of wrestling psychology in any match, but 2k completely misses the mark on this. It should be so easy to implement, too...

# 18 Rebel10 @ 07/18/16 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CujoMatty
I agree with all these points but the biggest problem to me is the commentary.
Heck, if they just allow us to turn off the commentary, that'd be a huge improvement. Couldn't believe that you couldn't turn off the commentary considering it is so bad.

# 19 DBMcGee3 @ 07/19/16 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarityman
How about make it so it's not so freaking easy to kick out at one?

The TWO COUNT is a major part of wrestling psychology in any match, but 2k completely misses the mark on this. It should be so easy to implement, too...
Yep, completely agree. If you're down to the red bar on energy, you shouldn't be able to attempt a kickout until after the 1 count. I'd even be down with that same logic after a finisher, regardless of the energy.

# 20 Goffs @ 07/19/16 12:34 PM
Ultrawide support for the pc would be nice....

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.