Home
Madden NFL 17 News Post

EA Sports has continued revealing their Madden NFL 17 player ratings today, as they announce the top 5 quarterbacks in the game. More detailed ratings can be seen in the official blog.

Check them out and post your thoughts!
  • Aaron Rodgers (Overall 96)
  • Cam Newton (Overall 94)
  • Tom Brady (Overall 94)
  • Ben Roethlisberger (Overall 93)
  • Russell Wilson (Overall 91)
Previously released Madden NFL 17 player ratings:

Madden NFL 17 screenshot gallery - Click to view Madden NFL 17 screenshot gallery - Click to view Madden NFL 17 screenshot gallery - Click to view Madden NFL 17 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: Madden NFL 17Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 17 - View All
Member Comments
# 41 Slim4824 @ 07/21/16 02:48 PM
How is brees out of the top 5?

Sent from my SM-N920R7 using Tapatalk

# 42 jfsolo @ 07/21/16 02:53 PM
I'll put this here because it's relevant.

Quote:
Diego Miranda ‏@DiegoMB27
@Equipment_Guru See, now we're talking with these OVR! But why has TAD been bumped up to the 90's again? Thought it was lowered since M16
Quote:
Shooter McGavin
‏@Equipment_Guru
@DiegoMB27 we made it properly match our other accuracy ratings

Quote:
Diego Miranda ‏@DiegoMB27
@Equipment_Guru So it will not result in 90+% laser-accurate deep throws all the time, or how does this adjustment work in game?
Quote:
Shooter McGavin ‏@Equipment_Guru
@DiegoMB27 we gameplay adjusted and scaled it to the rating increase, it will still basically be the same as last year
So there it is, but of course the proof is in the pudding.

# 43 DeuceDouglas @ 07/21/16 02:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by charter04
That's what I was thinking. So when they say there are less 90 overalls this year what does that even mean. All this guys might be 99 over or close to it in the old system.

At least with these guys the lower overall just seems to be number that is calculated different
Yeah, I popped all their numbers into M16 and all three were a 99. Makes me wonder what it would take for a QB to be a 99 in M17 because these guys numbers are jacked and they're not too close. If I had to take a guess, I'd say that all the passing attributes are weighted fairly evenly so anything they don't do as well (Brady Throw On Run) dips the overall. And maybe to be a 99 you basically have to be 99 in all of them or something.

# 44 roadman @ 07/21/16 03:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSquid
Glad ratings are lower, the problem is where will they be after the first 2 roster updates? In the past everyone that's having ONE good season has shot up to the 90s
SS, did you listen to this interview about a week ago or so?

Start listening at the 10:30 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sK-Z66Sdres

# 45 jwing7 @ 07/21/16 03:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazan Gable
I will be severely disappointed when they reveal that Philip Rivers is still worse than Andy Dalton even though he was the only starter left standing in that Chargers offense and was making accurate throws in horrific pockets while Andy got to take tea breaks in his pocket while throwing to AJ Green, Tyler Eifert, Mohamed Sanu and Marvin Jones while handing off to Giovani Bernard and Jeremy Hill.

Brady is the best quarterback in the league in the way that Peyton Manning was the best QB in the league last year: reputation and past accomplishments. Brady is still a great QB, but he's not the best. Aaron Rodgers has been the best for years now. Russell Wilson, Ben Roethlisberger and Cam Newton all belong in Brady's air space in terms of being in the upper echelon of great QBs along with Drew Brees and Philip Rivers.
Rivers is a great player but Dalton was putting up MVP type numbers last year before he was injured.

I'm lost on your Brady comparison. He was an elite QB last year based on performance, not reputation. Manning was straight garbage last year and wasn't ever thought of as "great" during any stretch.

Cam had a great year but I don't get all the love he's getting. He played a soft schedule and folded in the Super Bowl when he faced his first adversity of the year. Until he can come up in clutch moments, I think you have to put him below Brady, Ben and Rodgers.

With that said, Cam should be the most dominant QB to play with in Madden.

# 46 juduking @ 07/21/16 03:34 PM
I don't know. Aaron Rodgers looked above average last year without a number one receiver or a top tight end. Certainly not the best QB in the league. The best QB in the league would put up great numbers regardless of supporting cast, kind of like how Tom Brady does it with Edelman and Gronkowski hurt half the year. Like always though, body of work outweighs current ratings. Players should be rated based on what have you done for me lately, not their entire careers. Rodgers is low 90s in my opinion, not the best QB in the league.

# 47 Godgers12 @ 07/21/16 03:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by juduking
I don't know. Aaron Rodgers looked above average last year without a number one receiver or a top tight end. Certainly not the best QB in the league. The best QB in the league would put up great numbers regardless of supporting cast, kind of like how Tom Brady does it with Edelman and Gronkowski hurt half the year. Like always though, body of work outweighs current ratings. Players should be rated based on what have you done for me lately, not their entire careers. Rodgers is low 90s in my opinion, not the best QB in the league.
Rodgers had no WRs last year that could get open, that's not on him. Also, you take away Gronk, and Brady struggles just as bad if not worse than Rodgers last year.

# 48 Yazan Gable @ 07/21/16 03:41 PM
Quote:
Aaron Rodgers was left with a certified No. 2 receiver trying to play No. 1 and a guy in Davante Adams who is incapable of getting separation or even catching the ball. Aaron Rodgers still made that questionable receiving corp and struggling offensive line look better than it should. Tom Brady had a better defense to help keep his team in the game and has an offensive scheme that requires him to get the ball out quickly to players who can get good yardage after the catch. Aaron Rodgers did not have that luxury with the receivers he was working with. He was making accurate throws to mediocre receivers who kept dropping his passes or being in the wrong place.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/fil...-aaron-rodgers

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/fil...-davante-adams

# 49 juduking @ 07/21/16 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godgers12
Rodgers had no WRs last year that could get open, that's not on him. Also, you take away Gronk, and Brady struggles just as bad if not worse than Rodgers last year.
I thought the argument was that a franchise QB, and certainly the best QB in the league makes those around him better? Rogers still put up decent numbers considering his receiving corps problems, but stats wise, he was middle of the pack. His ratings should reflect that, but with him being rated as the best quarterback in the NFL, it seems his body of work is outweighing his last years performance. That is the point I was trying to make.

# 50 jwing7 @ 07/21/16 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godgers12
Brady and Manning made careers out of no name receivers. Stop being such a homer.

# 51 The JareBear @ 07/21/16 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwing7
Brady and Manning made careers out of no name receivers. Stop being such a homer.
I definitely agree that Brady has made more millionaires than the lotto. I do think Manning had guys that were Pro Bowl bound with or without him, well, at least in a couple cases. I think he definitely made Julius Thomas a lot of money, though.

Honestly I understand the debate. Rodgers and Brady are both super beasts. Their ratings are awesome, regardless of who is higher.

# 52 Yazan Gable @ 07/21/16 03:55 PM
Quote:
I thought the argument was that a franchise QB, and certainly the best QB in the league makes those around him better? Rogers still put up decent numbers considering his receiving corps problems, but stats wise, he was middle of the pack. His ratings should reflect that, but with him being rated as the best quarterback in the NFL, it seems his body of work is outweighing his last years performance. That is the point I was trying to make.
He did make them better. That's how bad what he had to use was. He was still an exceptional quarterback, but he was in a bad situation.
Quote:
Legendary no-name receivers such as 19th overall pick Marvin Harrison, 30th overall Reggie Wayne, 22nd overall Demaryius Thomas, 82nd overall Emmanuel Sanders, 87th overall Eric Decker, 4th overall Edgerrin James and 30th overall Joseph Addai (they caught passes too.) Let's not forget 24th overall Ty Law, 65th overall Deion Branch, 42nd overall Rob Gronkowski, Hall of Fame no-name receiver Randy Moss, 32nd overall Ben Watson, 56th overall Shane Vereen. I mean, just loaded with terrible, undrafted day 3 players.

# 53 Godgers12 @ 07/21/16 03:58 PM
Quote:
So he's suppose to throw to WRs who are covered and throw 5 picks a game? Our entire WR corps was incapable of beating man. Brady wouldn't have done any better.

# 54 The JareBear @ 07/21/16 03:59 PM
Quote:
He did make them better. That's how bad what he had to use was. He was still an exceptional quarterback, but he was in a bad situation.Legendary no-name receivers such as 19th overall pick Marvin Harrison, 30th overall Reggie Wayne, 22nd overall Demaryius Thomas, 82nd overall Emmanuel Sanders, 87th overall Eric Decker, 4th overall Edgerrin James and 30th overall Joseph Addai (they caught passes too.) Let's not forget 24th overall Ty Law, 65th overall Deion Branch, 42nd overall Rob Gronkowski, Hall of Fame no-name receiver Randy Moss, 32nd overall Ben Watson, 56th overall Shane Vereen. I mean, just loaded with terrible, undrafted day 3 players.
Agreed on Manning's teammates.

As for Brady: Gronk is an All-Pro no matter where he plays, for sure, but the other cases, I mean, I don't think Ben Watson ever really set the league on fire, did he? Look at what Moss was doing right before Brady, and immediately after. Deion Branch had steep drop offs after leaving Brady, as did Wes Welker.

# 55 jwing7 @ 07/21/16 04:03 PM
Quote:
He did make them better. That's how bad what he had to use was. He was still an exceptional quarterback, but he was in a bad situation.Legendary no-name receivers such as 19th overall pick Marvin Harrison, 30th overall Reggie Wayne, 22nd overall Demaryius Thomas, 82nd overall Emmanuel Sanders, 87th overall Eric Decker, 4th overall Edgerrin James and 30th overall Joseph Addai (they caught passes too.) Let's not forget 24th overall Ty Law, 65th overall Deion Branch, 42nd overall Rob Gronkowski, Hall of Fame no-name receiver Randy Moss, 32nd overall Ben Watson, 56th overall Shane Vereen. I mean, just loaded with terrible, undrafted day 3 players.
You seem to be forgetting Austin Collie, Pierre Garcon, Brandon Stokely. Decker is a good player but Manning certainly inflated his stats and got him that contract. Same with DT as well (I'm a Broncos fan btw).

Brady had Moss for one good season. You're leaving out players like Troy Brown, Welker and Edlemen.

Do you want to keep rattling off draft positions of players over the past 15 years or maybe admit that Brady and Manning were consistently the best regardless of what talent surrounded them (which they have had a fair amount at times). Or I guess we can make excuses for Rodgers when he had Adams (pick #53), Cobb (pick #64) and Lacy (pick #61) for most of the year.

# 56 Mauer4MVP @ 07/21/16 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The JareBear

As for Brady: Gronk is an All-Pro no matter where he plays, for sure, but the other cases, I mean, I don't think Ben Watson ever really set the league on fire, did he? Look at what Moss was doing right before Brady, and immediately after. Deion Branch had steep drop offs after leaving Brady, as did Wes Welker.
I'm sorry. Brady did not make Moss. That is flat out preposterous. Moss is arguably the greatest ever and at least a consensus #2.

# 57 Mauer4MVP @ 07/21/16 04:08 PM
Quote:
You seem to be forgetting Austin Collie, Pierre Garcon, Brandon Stokely. Decker is a good player but Manning certainly inflated his stats and got him that contract. Same with DT as well (I'm a Broncos fan btw).

Brady had Moss for one good season. You're leaving out players like Troy Brown, Welker and Edlemen.

Do you want to keep rattling off draft positions of players over the past 15 years or maybe admit that Brady and Manning were consistently the best regardless of what talent surrounded them (which they have had a fair amount at times). Or I guess we can make excuses for Rodgers when he had Adams (pick #53), Cobb (pick #64) and Lacy (pick #61) for most of the year.
Personally, I think Adams, Cobb, and Lacy are all insanely overrated.

# 58 The JareBear @ 07/21/16 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauer4MVP
I'm sorry. Brady did not make Moss. That is flat out preposterous. Moss is arguably the greatest ever and at least a consensus #2.
Not sure that's what I said.

I said look at what Moss was doing RIGHT before, and RIGHT after Brady.

Moss is one of my favorite players of all time, I think it is pretty clear that his production was waning a little after he set the league on fire to start his career and Brady helped jumpstart him again for a few years.

# 59 Yazan Gable @ 07/21/16 04:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The JareBear

Randy Moss was on the mid 2000s Raiders. That is like football purgatory. If he went to any decent quarterback situation he would have been dominant. Wes Welker was still Wes Welker with Manning his first year and then the concussions took their toll on him. Wes Welker had declining Peyton Manning and was just on the Rams while everyone knows he should stop playing. Ben Watson was on the Randy Moss/Wes Welker Patriots and then went to the Cleveland Browns and then was sitting behind Jimmy Graham. He finally gets to start for the Saints and he puts up pretty good numbers again. That's probably because of Drew Brees of course, but the point with my list was that these weren't bottom of the barrel players he's used. He's had high to good picks in the draft for receivers to work with like Manning. I say this as a person who prefers Brady to Manning because I feel his offensive circumstances were overall less favorable than Peyton's, but pretending he made all his receivers is a bit much. A great QB elevates his players, and Aaron Rodgers elevated bad to mediocre this past year.

# 60 The JareBear @ 07/21/16 04:10 PM
Quote:
Randy Moss was on the mid 2000s Raiders. That is like football purgatory. If he went to any decent quarterback situation he would have been dominant. Wes Welker was still Wes Welker with Manning his first year and then the concussions took their toll on him. Wes Welker had declining Peyton Manning and was just on the Rams while everyone knows he should stop playing. Ben Watson was on the Randy Moss/Wes Welker Patriots and then went to the Cleveland Browns and then was sitting behind Jimmy Graham. He finally gets to start for the Saints and he puts up pretty good numbers again. That's probably because of Drew Brees of course, but the point with my list was that these weren't bottom of the barrel players he's used. He's had high to good picks in the draft for receivers to work with like Manning. I say this as a person who prefers Brady to Manning because I feel his offensive circumstances were overall less favorable than Peyton's, but pretending he made all his receivers is a bit much. A great QB elevates his players, and Aaron Rodgers elevated bad to mediocre this past year.
Isn't that my point though? Maybe I am just confused at this point.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.