Home
Madden NFL 17 News Post

EA Sports has continued revealing their Madden NFL 17 player ratings today, as they announce the top 5 wide receivers in the game. More detailed ratings can be seen in the official blog.

Check them out and post your thoughts!
  • Antonio Brown (Overall 97)
  • Julio Jones (Overall 96)
  • A.J. Green (Overall 93)
  • Odell Beckham Jr. (Overall 93)
  • DeAndre Hopkins (Overall 93)
Previously released Madden NFL 17 player ratings:

Madden NFL 17 screenshot gallery - Click to view Madden NFL 17 screenshot gallery - Click to view Madden NFL 17 screenshot gallery - Click to view Madden NFL 17 screenshot gallery - Click to view Madden NFL 17 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: Madden NFL 17Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 17 - View All
Member Comments
# 21 jsteele14 @ 07/23/16 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakingBad2013
That's my point. I prefer a spread. I'd like to see a 0-100 scale. But looking at the top 5 WRs, there are another 6 or 7, maybe even 8 or 9 that have to be up there. I think ratings will again be inflated, because they try to fit all of the NFL players from about 55/60-99. Where it should be 1-99. Especially squeezing 2200 or so players into 39 rating numbers. That gives you 57 players per rating number.

From our Madden experiences we look at some 70s as starters based on their skills. Imagine having:

Tom Brady 94
Matt Ryan 76
Sam Bradford 66
Kevin Kolb 43
Jamarcus Russel 13

Or something like:

Darrell REVIS 90
Jason Varrett 75
Jalen Ramsay 62
Dimitri Patterson 48
Etc.

You'd have a legit amount of super stars, feeling elite. And bums would be bums, huge liabilities.

Imagine the draft impact of you draft a 21 overall player first round, and pickup a 67 overall in the 6th round!

Overalls:
0-10 can't even get a tryout
11-20 project, has physical tools, just not technical or intangibles.
21-30 practice squad project
31-40 bench player

41-50 fringe starter
51-60 average starter
61-70 solid starter, just really solid in what he does.

71-80 really good player, not HOF caliber, but Pro bowl potential

81-89 Excellent player, just right under HOF, consistent All Pro, just not ground breaking

90+ First ballot HOF

I am all for wider ratings but this is too wide. It would make the superstar too powerful because you would likely be able to throw to that receiver nearly every time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

# 22 Jershy88 @ 07/23/16 01:53 PM
"Put some respek on my name" -Dez

# 23 XtremeDunkz @ 07/23/16 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jershy88
"Put some respek on my name" -Dez
I thought this terrible phrase was long dead.

# 24 BreakingBad2013 @ 07/23/16 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteele14
I am all for wider ratings but this is too wide. It would make the superstar too powerful because you would likely be able to throw to that receiver nearly every time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I could understand, but these are just overalls. The individual ratings would all be weighted by position, so a an 85 route could be elite where a 76 coverages would be able to keep up with them, not every single time, but not like 99 vs 10.

# 25 Yazan Gable @ 07/23/16 02:09 PM
I thought 90+ was elite.
Quote:
The caliber of a player is based on consistency and long term. Anyways, they need to spread ratings, you're focusing on the most minuscule thing in my entire post lol. 90+ to me should be compared to all time greats. Like Barry Sanders, Tom Brady, and Deion Sanders. There's certain players that may be great bust still not on their caliber.
You would keep Peyton Manning 90+ OVR in the 2015 NFL season considering how atrocious he played?

# 26 mrprice33 @ 07/23/16 02:10 PM
Quote:
Also it's not arbitrary. 90+ is the highest you can go in madden. Isn't the highest level of football to be a hall of famer? It makes perfect sense
No it doesn't. The ratings scale doesn't work like that. The Madden ratings scale is more like US school grades than anything else.

90+ superstar player (A)
80+ solid starter (B)
70+ Fringe starter, solid backup (C)
60+ Replacement level (D)
50+ Below replacement level (F)

JaMarcus Russell being a 13 or a 51 doesn't really make a difference. He still stinks. And, if the NFL has shown us anything, it's that a lot of guys in the middle are interchangeable.

The only thing that really matters is the distribution of ratings. It should look like a bell curve, with the bulk of players falling somewhere between solid starter and slightly above replacement level, with a small set of players on one set of the curve representing superstars, and a slightly larger set (but still small) representing the dregs of the league.

# 27 BreakingBad2013 @ 07/23/16 02:11 PM
That's just to differentiate the caliber of players. A 95 vs a 76 doesn't mean the 96 will win all day every day. That 76 is still a really good player. But if you catch yourself in a bad situation with a 43 overall pass blocker on Von Miller, you probably need a TE or RB to stay in to help. Now Von won't win every play, but he'll absolutely make an impact more often than not.

# 28 Yazan Gable @ 07/23/16 02:13 PM
Quote:
That's just to differentiate the caliber of players. A 95 vs a 76 doesn't mean the 96 will win all day every day. That 76 is still a really good player. But if you catch yourself in a bad situation with a 43 overall pass blocker on Von Miller, you probably need a TE or RB to stay in to help. Now Von won't win every play, but he'll absolutely make an impact more often than not.
Why won't Von Miller win every time against someone who is less than half his equal? That's an absurdly large gap in skill level. That player is effectively a turnstile or a gust of wind that mildly inconveniences Von Miller.

# 29 BreakingBad2013 @ 07/23/16 02:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprice33
No it doesn't. The ratings scale doesn't work like that. The Madden ratings scale is more like US school grades than anything else.

90+ superstar player (A)
80+ solid starter (B)
70+ Fringe starter, solid backup (C)
60+ Replacement level (D)
50+ Below replacement level (F)

JaMarcus Russell being a 13 or a 51 doesn't really make a difference. He still stinks. And, if the NFL has shown us anything, it's that a lot of guys in the middle are interchangeable.

The only thing that really matters is the distribution of ratings. It should look like a bell curve, with the bulk of players falling somewhere between solid starter and slightly above replacement level, with a small set of players on one set of the curve representing superstars, and a slightly larger set (but still small) representing the dregs of the league.
Most of the league falls into bench player or worse. And an even higher number falls into not being able to make it in the NFL. There are 255 players drafted every season, plus the signings of undrafted FAs. Of those, how many are 2nd string or even 3rd string players? How many are out of the league in less than 4 years?

# 30 Yazan Gable @ 07/23/16 02:19 PM
Quote:
Most of the league falls into bench player or worse. And an even higher number falls into not being able to make it in the NFL. There are 255 players drafted every season, plus the signings of undrafted FAs. Of those, how many are 2nd string or even 3rd string players? How many are out of the league in less than 4 years?
Just like in Madden's draft, most of them. Also, trying to give ratings to players based on career performance is silly since Madden ratings exist to give an idea of a player's performance in that season, not across their career.

# 31 BreakingBad2013 @ 07/23/16 02:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazan Gable
Why won't Von Miller win every time against someone who is less than half his equal? That's an absurdly large gap in skill level. That player is effectively a turnstile or a gust of wind that mildly inconveniences Von Miller.
Because it would be vs a fringe starter (41-50) who is good enough to win here and there. Just not consistently. The gaps are only large with how we've been thinking of madden over the years.

Now if it were vs like a 22, then he'll get his butt kicked all day.

# 32 mrprice33 @ 07/23/16 02:22 PM
Quote:
Right, but Madden doesn't include literally every player available to play football in a given season, so a lot of those "out of the league" guys are literally not in the game (out of the league).

The players drafted in later rounds in Madden and who would be UDFA-type players are in the 50s (below replacement level). The player pool that's important for the game's purposes are the replacement-level guys and up, as that's typically what the user has to interact with.

All it is is just a scale. If the players rated 50s now were rated 0s in a new scale, it's still the same thing. You'd just have a bunch of players bunched between 40 and 60 instead of 65-85.

# 33 Yazan Gable @ 07/23/16 02:22 PM
Quote:
Because it would be vs a fringe starter (41-50) who is good enough to win here and there. Just not consistently. The gaps are only large with how we've been thinking of madden over the years.

Now if it were vs like a 22, then he'll get his butt kicked all day.
Yeah man, these totally arbitrary numbers you made up in terms of their performance really tell the truth. Never seen a 43 OVR right tackle but they'd definitely sometimes win against one of the best pass rushers in the NFL, but a 22? Dead.

# 34 BreakingBad2013 @ 07/23/16 02:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprice33
Right, but Madden doesn't include literally every player available to play football in a given season, so a lot of those "out of the league" guys are literally not in the game (out of the league).

The players drafted in later rounds in Madden and who would be UDFA-type players are in the 50s (below replacement level). The player pool that's important for the game's purposes are the replacement-level guys and up, as that's typically what the user has to interact with.
Understandable, but stretching out ratings would change the entire makeup of the game. Maybe it's just me. But I have seen 60s and 70s become bonafied starters, and if they were 20s and 30s I feel the FEEL of how bad they are would actually show up. There's no much difference in madden between Brady, Mat Ryan, Derrick Carr, and Sam Bradford. Elite don't feel elite, and bonafied bums can do too much. It's a video game I get it, but I think stretching ratings allows you to put players in more realistic categories and less elite players would make the game better

# 35 mrprice33 @ 07/23/16 02:26 PM
Quote:
Just like in Madden's draft, most of them. Also, trying to give ratings to players based on career performance is silly since Madden ratings exist to give an idea of a player's performance in that season, not across their career.
Right, it's half "this is how they performed last year" and half "this is how we project them to perform this year."

# 36 BreakingBad2013 @ 07/23/16 02:29 PM
Quote:
Yeah man, these totally arbitrary numbers you made up in terms of their performance really tell the truth. Never seen a 43 OVR right tackle but they'd definitely sometimes win against one of the best pass rushers in the NFL, but a 22? Dead.

Yes. Lol. Watch football, and tell me you've never seen a backup come in and do okay. And you've never watched football and watched a team get so low into depth, that that player isn't getting completely handled play in and play out.

# 37 Cowboy008 @ 07/23/16 02:30 PM
Even though those guys are some of the best WR's I still think those ratings are too high. Also think even though he didn't play all season last year that Dez should have been in the top 5.

# 38 mrprice33 @ 07/23/16 02:31 PM
Quote:
Understandable, but stretching out ratings would change the entire makeup of the game. Maybe it's just me. But I have seen 60s and 70s become bonafied starters, and if they were 20s and 30s I feel the FEEL of how bad they are would actually show up. There's no much difference in madden between Brady, Mat Ryan, Derrick Carr, and Sam Bradford. Elite don't feel elite, and bonafied bums can do too much. It's a video game I get it, but I think stretching ratings allows you to put players in more realistic categories and less elite players would make the game better
The thing that separates those QBs is decision making, largely. Carr might have a slightly stronger arm than Brady now and Bradford might be slightly more or less accurate than Ryan, but it's their ability to read the field and make the right decision. The inability of Madden to make them distinct is largely an issue of programming and AI, not ratings. And when it comes to user-controlled QBs, well...that's what the vision cone was for.

When it comes to other positions, however, there are tangible differences between ratings. I *feel* the difference between having 90+ overall players across my offensive line compared to a mix of 70s. I *feel* the difference with highly-rated corners vs average ones. There will always need to be tweaks to the ratings, since it's such an inexact science, but getting caught up in the scale isn't particularly helpful. They could stretch the scale out to a 1-1000 level and it could still be poorly done.

# 39 BreakingBad2013 @ 07/23/16 02:36 PM
We'll agree to disagree. I have played with JJ Watt and watch him get manhandled one on one consistently. I've played with bad offensive lineman and felt like I had just as much time as when I had better OL. I can't feel the difference between Julio Jones and Breahaud Perriman unless you're talking Aggressive Carch, and even then it's 50/50.

Same with Latavius Murray and AP.

Same with Richard Sherman and Jalen Collins

And DTs have almost 0 differential to me. Maybe it'll change this year.

# 40 Bull_Dozer @ 07/23/16 02:43 PM
91-93 speed. I find this boring that guys are so close in ratings. I'll definitely be editing to spread things out more.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.