Home
Madden NFL 17 News Post

Game Informer has posted a new Madden NFL 17 developer Q&A with EA Tiburon's Rex Dickson (creative director), John White (franchise lead designer), and Michael Hoag (presentation designer). The Q&A confirms formation subs will be included in a day one patch. Users will be able to update them from within CFM, including in the menus. Many other items are discussed, so make sure to give it a listen.

Source - The Sports Desk – The Madden 17 Developers Answer Your Questions

Game: Madden NFL 17Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 17 - View All
Member Comments
# 61 bad_philanthropy @ 08/08/16 10:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Find_the_Door
Hopefully we can do formation subs for ranked games as well?
I think that may fall into the "balancing issue" territory for online ranked.

# 62 CM Hooe @ 08/08/16 10:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Find_the_Door
Hopefully we can do formation subs for ranked games as well?
John White very clearly indicated in the interview that formation subs are specific to franchise mode.

# 63 Find_the_Door @ 08/08/16 10:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
I think that may fall into the "balancing issue" territory for online ranked.
I don't understand how it wouldn't be balanced? Everyone is afforded the same luxury of being able to customize pre-game. Not to mention it's painstakingly annoying to have to sub the same safety or linebacker every single game.

# 64 Find_the_Door @ 08/08/16 10:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
John White very clearly indicated in the interview that formation subs are specific to franchise mode.
What a shame

# 65 jpdavis82 @ 08/08/16 11:59 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 66 Rams_3 @ 08/09/16 12:10 AM
I like it. I'm glad it's back in the game. Now, if only we could have madden on pc lol.

# 67 EAnderson81 @ 08/09/16 12:22 AM
Its apart of football should have always been in the game an just stayed there..but nonetheless happy its back in.. hope it stays that way .... when u think about it .. its alot of other stuff in madden we couldn't do for years .. so all the trick plays an subs will be very much appreciated this year 👍

# 68 roadman @ 08/09/16 01:04 AM
This is great news, folks.

All one needs to do is listen for the hints the development team gives in June or throughout the year.

Clint mentioned with continuous improvement formation subs and defensive matchups were items the community wanted the most.

He didn't promise anything, but appeared hopeful.

Is defensive matchups down the short road?

# 69 jfsolo @ 08/09/16 01:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
This is great news, folks.

All one needs to do is listen for the hints the development team gives in June or throughout the year.

Clint mentioned with continuous improvement formation subs and defensive matchups were items the community wanted the most.

He didn't promise anything, but appeared hopeful.

Is defensive matchups down the short road?
From the way that they talk about the issue my feeling is that the implementation and then the QA for defensive matchups is a very, very large time investment, and something that is at risk for breaking things on the gameplay front, so I would be surprised to see in M17.

# 70 Ruben2424 @ 08/09/16 01:52 AM
FINALLY!!!! WE FINALLY GET FORMATION SUBS!!!!!!!! I was just talking about this with a buddy of mine the other day too! Wow!

I'm definitely not liking that they want to add a story mode to Madden! It just doesn't work for sports games! Look at 2K16! Why can't they just make career mode how it was in the old Maddens? Where we were able to do interviews, I.Q. tests, pre-draft workouts, movie roles, hire agents, etc??? NO STORY MODE!!! Career modes should be open ended! We should be the ones who decide how OUR careers play out, not the script!

# 71 secondsolution @ 08/09/16 02:36 AM
Is day one the 18th for EA Access or the 23rd for the US release?

# 72 ThatMichiganFan @ 08/09/16 03:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by secondsolution
It is probably on the actual release date not for EA Access but I could be wrong.

# 73 snc237 @ 08/09/16 04:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by secondsolution
18th is access the 5 days later aka 23 is release date

# 74 RogueHominid @ 08/09/16 07:24 AM
Gotta give these guys a tip of the cap here. This was important, and they got it done. Kudos.

# 75 scooterperpetual @ 08/09/16 07:35 AM
Well time to preorder lol don't know why I was waiting

# 76 Brooklynbks4 @ 08/09/16 08:04 AM
Another bit from the vid was that the last gen versions of the game get the coach tendencies from ncaa. Which means you can tell your defense for example to play agressive and go for a strip. They said that last hen got this feature because it's easier to port over from the last gen essentially. As happy as I am for the additions to the game I also want continuity from the game. Another feature that can be used in the game but is not developed for the current gen.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

# 77 Mattanite @ 08/09/16 08:20 AM
It doesn't looks clear on the photo, but it will make a difference if the subs are listed purely as formations, or whether it will be choosing scenarios?

For instance, if set up for scenario, I might want a run-stuffing LE on 1st and 2nd down regardless if it is 7 man front, nickel or dime but a speed rusher to come in at LE on 3rd downs. If setup purely for formations then when I call a nickel play with a formation sub on 1st down, my speed rusher be brought in the game... which would be annoying.

Could be negated if there is the playbook information is easily accessible in CFM which shows what plays are setup for 1st, 2nd and 3rd down etc.

# 78 jpdavis82 @ 08/09/16 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynbks4
Another bit from the vid was that the last gen versions of the game get the coach tendencies from ncaa. Which means you can tell your defense for example to play agressive and go for a strip. They said that last hen got this feature because it's easier to port over from the last gen essentially. As happy as I am for the additions to the game I also want continuity from the game. Another feature that can be used in the game but is not developed for the current gen.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

They also said they are going to add it to the current gen version in the future and add increased functionality to it.

# 79 patsfan1993 @ 08/09/16 08:25 AM
I have been irritated that wasn't part of the game for a while now. I am totally stoked they were able to get this in. Big tip of the cap to the madden team.

Thanks for listening and responding to us.

# 80 JayD @ 08/09/16 09:04 AM
I wonder if we will be able to set & save formation subs for CPU controlled teams without using 32 team control? I would hate for it to be exclusively for the User.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.