Home
NBA 2K17 News Post

Polygon has posted their NBA 2K17 hands-on impressions. Samit Sarkar goes over quite a few things, including freelance offenses for every team, better help defense, timed layups, 2K U with Coach K and much more.

Quote:
"If I can expect you to make a move and show the ball unprotected, I can time my button press" and knock the ball away, said Jones, who did this exact thing to me when we played each other. This applies to passes, too. Jones acknowledged that throwing the ball willy-nilly into the key was almost a "money" play last year. In about half an hour playing NBA 2K17, I saw multiple passes to the paint get deflected and even picked off. The ball just felt more live, whether on passes, steals or rebounds.

Game: NBA 2K17Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 14 - View All
Member Comments
# 1 2_headedmonster @ 08/22/16 01:23 PM
it begins....

# 2 Mikelopedia @ 08/22/16 01:44 PM
Hmm, all sounds very good.

This might actually be the year I play in the park lol. We'll see after the first update POST casuals bitchfest.

Something that won't catch too many people's eye but definitely has my attention is the coach making decisions when it comes to personnel on the floor. That combined with the intriguing re-worked fatigue system, (again we'll see after the casual gamer cries very loud on Ronnie's twitter), but is this the year they FINALLY allow auto subs to function properly?!?!

Another interesting thing that will only be a negative at first for me until I get used to it (and buy a 2nd controller with brand new smooth working sticks lol) is the shooting i.e. being penalized if you don't pull straight back. I've always been someone who shoots catch and shoot jumpers with square and layups, dribble pull ups, post moves, etc with the shot stick. So is square no longer an option for stand still jumpers?

# 3 swac07 @ 08/22/16 01:53 PM
You have to time layups? Interesting

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

# 4 Junior Moe @ 08/22/16 01:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelopedia
I've always been someone who shoots catch and shoot jumpers with square and layups, dribble pull ups, post moves, etc with the shot stick. So is square no longer an option for stand still jumpers?
I play the same way too. Hopefully square and X can still be utilized for jumpshots only.

# 5 JAY_D1 @ 08/22/16 01:56 PM
.."I saw teammates leave their assignment to stop someone from getting an easy basket in the paint."

Yes!

# 6 deetoman @ 08/22/16 02:02 PM
I hope this whole "giving players more control" thing means maybe they changed up the dunk contest lol but I know better.....

# 7 The 24th Letter @ 08/22/16 02:03 PM
Excellent hands on...touched on a lot of great things....glad to see a big part of the focus is on defense...and thats coming from a high level..

Kind of quiet in here considering dudes were starving for info...a nice chunk here

# 8 Steve_OS @ 08/22/16 02:08 PM
Samit told me you can still use X/Square to shoot, for those that were curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 9 stillfeelme @ 08/22/16 02:08 PM
Someone has been reading the forums diligently maybe coincidence but wow this sounds like every gameplay gripe I had addressed in the form of an article addressed to people that comment and make threads on here.

Quote:
Another big change comes in the steals department. Steals have felt random in pretty much every basketball video game ever made, but in NBA 2K17, the opportunity to make a play is in your hands.
"If I can expect you to make a move and show the ball unprotected, I can time my button press" and knock the ball away, said Jones, who did this exact thing to me when we played each other. This applies to passes, too. Jones acknowledged that throwing the ball willy-nilly into the key was almost a "money" play last year. In about half an hour playing NBA 2K17, I saw multiple passes to the paint get deflected and even picked off. The ball just felt more live, whether on passes, steals or rebounds.
I know many people wanted some form of live ball back maybe not 2K12 but something.

The fatigue thing sounds like a wishlish item too

# 10 SonicBoom2040 @ 08/22/16 02:09 PM
You have three types of passing in 16 already. Doubt it changes in 17..can always hope

# 11 shmitty @ 08/22/16 02:09 PM
Timing lay ups and more deflections in the paint. Sounds awesome so far.

PLEASE DO NOT CHANGE THINGS FOR CASUAL GAMERS! MAKE THEM LEARN THE GAME OF BASKETBALL!!

# 12 Mauer4MVP @ 08/22/16 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS

Great news! I'd much rather have the ratings impact a shot than my laziness.

# 13 trekfan @ 08/22/16 02:10 PM
Good interview, but that's one guy playing a build that may or may not be close to what's released. I like what I saw there -- more control on the sticks, emphasizing skill, playing more realistically are all pluses if executed correctly.

But I feel the more important part of the interview was the sidebar and this bit:

Quote:
"I just know that at least for us, it’s been a pretty tough development cycle, just because our date did come in an additional [week earlier]," said Jones. (NBA 2K17 launches Sept. 20 and will be available Sept. 16 to customers who pre-order it. The game is usually released at least one week later than that.)
"And a lot of stuff came in really late," Jones continued. "We’re not very good at, and we’ve never been very good at, showing anything before time."
^This could explain some things, notably the lack of official (non-bootleg) gameplay video and the absolute silence on gameplay additions since we were told about League Expansion. Seems to me the devs are really pushing hard to hit that release date and the cycle has been harder than usual.

At least to me, that's a sign to step-back expectations a bit. I think we may need to wait to render judgement till after the first patch.

# 14 Vni @ 08/22/16 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Excellent hands on...touched on a lot of great things....glad to see a big part of the focus is on defense...and thats coming from a high level..

Kind of quiet in here considering dudes were starving for info...a nice chunk here
I just hope defense is more organic because I thought it was somewhat overpowered and fake. Too magnetic, with slow and floaty offensive animation to create seperation. I hope that a guy just standing there and not getting his arms up isn't considered good defense especially against a good player. I hope they brought back some excitement to the offensive side.

# 15 BluFu @ 08/22/16 02:11 PM
Better help defense.. for real this time? Lol

Hopefully when he says that teammates left their assignments, it wasn't one pass away and/or somebody rotated over to the guy that was left.

# 16 Junior Moe @ 08/22/16 02:12 PM
Quote:

Awesome! I'll give the new controls a whirl but it's good to know that I can always fall back if I'm not feeling it.

# 17 RLebron12 @ 08/22/16 02:12 PM
Quote:

So can we also still use that for lay ups or do we need to use the analog sticks now? I usually shoot/layup/dunk with the Square button unless it's a fast break and I want a special dunk. If not then I guess I just have to change up how I play.

# 18 The 24th Letter @ 08/22/16 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vni
I just hope defense is more organic because I thought it was somewhat overpowered and fake. Too magnetic, with slow and floaty offensive animation to create seperation. I hope that a guy just standing there and not getting his arms up isn't considered good defense especially against a good player. I hope they brought back some excitement to the offensive side.
I mostly agree with you...

Hopefully the focus on control was maintained when developing these things...

# 19 Hustle Westbrook @ 08/22/16 02:17 PM
Quote:
This applies to passes, too. Jones acknowledged that throwing the ball willy-nilly into the key was almost a "money" play last year. In about half an hour playing NBA 2K17, I saw multiple passes to the paint get deflected and even picked off. The ball just felt more live, whether on passes, steals or rebounds.
This is music to my freaking ears. Thank you 2K!

# 20 twebb5896 @ 08/22/16 02:20 PM
"In about half an hour playing NBA 2K17, I saw multiple passes to the paint get deflected and even picked off."

"The new system in NBA 2K17 is designed to penalize people who lay on the sprint button all the time, because that’s simply not a realistic way to play basketball"

‘Hey, I’m [rated] 95, so I’m good’ — you want to be able to separate that field, and really start bringing out the guys who really know what they’re doing versus the others."

I'm gonna cry

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

« Previous123456789Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.