Home
NBA 2K17 News Post

2K and the NBA 2K17 team have just announced "The Prelude" a free downloadable experience, giving you a head start on your MyCAREER, available for free on September 9, just one day after the mobile companion app releases, which allows you to scan your face into the game and much more. Watch the trailer here. (Only available for Xbox One and PlayStation 4)

Fans will have the ability to play college games, choosing from multiple Division I programs and boost their stock for the NBA Draft. You will also be able to try out the all-new tutorial mode, 2KU, featuring Coach K.

UPDATE: (9-2) NBA 2K17 The Prelude arrives at 12 AM EST on Sept. 9, worldwide on both Xbox One and PlayStation 4.

Read the full press release below.

Download NBA® 2K17 “The Prelude” For Free Starting September 9th

Critically acclaimed franchise to give fans early start to this year’s MyCAREER experience, ability to play collegiate games and more!

2K today announced “The Prelude,” a free downloadable experience for NBA 2K17, the top-rated and top-selling NBA video game simulation series*, which will be available on September 9, 2016. For the first time in NBA 2K history, gamers – both new and old – will get to start their MyCAREER experience prior to the game’s launch on September 20, 2016 on Xbox One and PlayStation®4 computer entertainment systems. Gamers who download “The Prelude” will choose from multiple authentic Division I collegiate programs and have the ability to boost their stock for the NBA Draft. Additionally, “The Prelude” experience will include enhanced MyPlayer personalization through new mobile phone face scan technology via the MyNBA2K Companion App, and an all–new tutorial mode in 2KU, featuring 2016 USA Basketball Coach Mike Krzyzewski (“Coach K”).

“The Prelude was designed specifically to introduce new fans to our franchise, and give them an introduction to our legendary MyCAREER mode that puts the user at the center of an epic basketball story,” said Greg Thomas, President of Visual Concepts. “Veterans of NBA 2K will also love getting a head start on their MyCAREER, so when the game launches they can be ready to jump in and compete.”

During “The Prelude”, players will watch their draft stock fluctuate dynamically based on their performance across the participation of multiple authentic college games. In true cinematic form, they’ll also catch a glimpse of exclusive MyCAREER scenes through their customized avatar, which include interactions with high school coaches, teammates, and more. Players’ in-game performance during college play will ultimately influence where they are drafted upon entering the league in NBA 2K17.

“The incredible excitement during the first week of NBA 2K16’s launch showed us there was an opportunity to connect with even more fans prior to the formal release of NBA 2K17,” said Alfie Brody, VP of Marketing for NBA 2K. “We think we’ve given our passionate community something special with this year, and can’t wait to see the response from not only existing fans, but new ones as well.”

Included in “The Prelude” is 2KU, a tutorial featuring Coach K, focused on fundamental basketball strategies including pick and roll execution, proper defensive positioning, ball movement, boxing out, court awareness and more. Gamers can also use the MyNBA2K17 iOS and Android companion app to scan their facial likeness into their MyCAREER avatar within minutes. This new mobile phone camera fan scan technology serves as the perfect introduction to the custom experience, as players begin playing MyCAREER. Additionally, after September 16, 2016 gamers will be able to purchase and download playable “all-time great” teams for each of the playable colleges as well as special collegiate MyTeam cards representing legendary players.

The NBA 2K17 Standard Edition will be available in both digital and physical formats for $59.99 on Xbox One, Xbox 360, PlayStation®4 and PlayStation®3 computer entertainment systems, and Windows PC platforms on September 20. The NBA 2K17 Kobe Bryant Legend Edition will be available in digital and physical formats for $79.99 on Xbox One and PlayStation®4 system. Also available for pre-order is the NBA 2K17 Kobe Bryant Legend Edition Gold offering fans the ultimate value at $99.99 with all of the regular NBA 2K17 Legend Edition contents plus bonus items. All fans who pre-order any version of NBA 2K17 will receive their copy at Early Tip-Off four days early, September 16.

Game: NBA 2K17Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 14 - View All
Member Comments
# 161 SkillzFromThe6 @ 08/26/16 11:56 AM
I REFUSE TO PLAY FOR TEAM USA

This trailer got me hella excited tho

# 162 ballstreet2k @ 08/26/16 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BA2929
What's makes this even funnier is I *think* that ref is the same actor thats in the trailer. Matt Walsh from VEEP.
That's the whole point of the joke. I went "OMG Mike McLintock is gonna be my coach!" and then I realized "HOLY **** THAT'S ALSO FATHER PAT!"

# 163 Irkentier @ 08/26/16 12:00 PM
Hopefully "Prez" isn't really a nickname for the entire career but i have a bad feeling that it is.

# 164 TheVinylHippo @ 08/26/16 12:04 PM
This is great, but the "President of Basketball" (<--- WTF?) is far worse than "Frequency Vibrations." I'd take being called "Freq" any day over "Prez". I really hope we don't get saddled with that goofy nickname.

# 165 juicey79 @ 08/26/16 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RNS1hunnid
Looks fiyah!! Never played my career looks like I'm gonna check it out this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same with me...owned every 2k since dream and never played the rpg offering...I will try it now! Hopefully servers will work

# 166 Nine.Six.Melo @ 08/26/16 12:10 PM
Also still not seeing what you guys do with body types.

Big or small we're all gonna be the same size mass wise

# 167 myathebee @ 08/26/16 12:10 PM
I just realized...''President Of Basketball'...What the hell is that???

Might be the lamest nickname ever..Way worse than Freq.

# 168 23 @ 08/26/16 12:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by myathebee
I just realized...''President Of Basketball'...What the hell is that???

Might be the lamest nickname ever..Way worse than Freq.

I know the President of Sim Nation which is DaCzar

Not sure about that one though

# 169 adh5199 @ 08/26/16 12:17 PM
Still confused. Do I have to preorder in order to download on the 9th? And does digital vs physical matter?

# 170 RipCity71252 @ 08/26/16 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine.Six.Melo

I think people are hoping changing your players weight is gong to finally cause a visible change.

# 171 Hopsin @ 08/26/16 12:23 PM
The guys saying "it's mycareer, it doesn't do anything for me"
Why not look at it as a way to play before release? A way to test gameplay?

# 172 SkillzFromThe6 @ 08/26/16 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adh5199
Still confused. Do I have to preorder in order to download on the 9th? And does digital vs physical matter?

it's available to everyone on PSN/Xbox to download meaning you don't have to preorder.

Check Ronnie2Ks twitter, most the stuff is answered there.

# 173 GuwopGeezus @ 08/26/16 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adh5199

From what I understand, the answer to both of your questions is no. Think of it as like a separate game and when the main game comes out you can transfer your data from the "prelude" to 2k17

# 174 BA2929 @ 08/26/16 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballstreet2k
That's the whole point of the joke. I went "OMG Mike McLintock is gonna be my coach!" and then I realized "HOLY **** THAT'S ALSO FATHER PAT!"
After I posted that I thought, "Oh geez that's probably the entire joke."

Glad 2k is actually getting good actors now instead of nobodies. Should see an uptick in quality now!

# 175 GuwopGeezus @ 08/26/16 12:30 PM
Quote:

According to Ronnie we'll be able to see the difference. We'll see tho

# 176 Crunky @ 08/26/16 12:31 PM
I like Prez voice it shouldn't be too grating on the ears.

# 177 Crunky @ 08/26/16 12:34 PM
They should of showed the bodytype mass changing that would of shut the city down, not the same hearing it from Ronnie's mouth.

# 178 bxphenom7 @ 08/26/16 12:34 PM
So if you don't play this prelude, no story element? Cause a story element is exactly what I want to avoid.

# 179 coachcolbert @ 08/26/16 12:36 PM
Quote:

hopefully the "weight" tab has a surprise for us as they didnt show it in the prelude trailer

heres to hoping!

# 180 Mikelopedia @ 08/26/16 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuwopGeezus
According to Ronnie we'll be able to see the difference. We'll see tho
Yeah sorry I'm not trusting Ronnie talking about body types. He is the same person that sent Ian Clark and Sean Kilpatrick their screenshots and actually kept a straight face lol

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.