Home
Madden NFL 17 News Post

Football is a passing game. Despite the Denver Broncos riding a dominant defense to their third Super Bowl ring, the majority of playoff teams last year fielded offenses with potent aerial attacks. Whether it be Tom Brady's precision attack or Carson Palmer connecting on big plays, the rules in the NFL favor the pass. How does this relate to Madden? Quite simply, it doesn’t. Madden has always favored the pass as its primary means of racking up yards, but Madden 17 moves towards balance, albeit, in a good way.

Read More - Madden NFL 17: Mastering the Passing Game

Game: Madden NFL 17Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 17 - View All
Member Comments
# 1 snc237 @ 08/29/16 01:58 PM
The double tap to throw a touch pass to the receivers was in last years game. It is not new to this years.

# 2 Atax1s @ 08/29/16 04:51 PM
What's new about the double tap passing is that it works this year. Especially on dig routes to clear linebackers in an underneath coverage on drag routes.

# 3 Agent89 @ 08/29/16 06:51 PM
I find the touch pass to be dangerous in most situations because it takes too long to drop. So with passes over the middle, I hold L1 for the high pass since they haven't fixed the bullet pass issue where an LB just a yard behind the LOS can swat a bullet intended to go 20 yards which doesn't happen in real life.

# 4 ggsimmonds @ 08/29/16 07:09 PM
A couple of things on the article, first correct the typo that says two safeties high indicates cover 3. That is wrong, perhaps you meant cover 4.

Second, if this is meant as a guide of sorts I would have went into more detail on how to make reads. For example in most cases as soon as I snap the ball I look to the middle of the field, regardless of where my primary target is.
Why? Because most times that tells me all I need to know about the defense. Sure crafty defenses can run combo defense with zone inside while matching up in man on the defense, but that is rare.

I think it is better to provide the steps on how to make post snap reads rather than leave it at scan the field.

# 5 Ruben2424 @ 08/30/16 12:13 AM
I only use the touch passes when I throw to a player that has a low catch rating running a dig or in route. They seem to drop less passes this way since touch passes are easier to catch than bullet passes. For my highly skilled guys, I'll simply tap their icon + direction I want the pass to go OR I'll use the high pass modifier if I'm trying to out-jump the defender with a bigger offensive player. I really don't get too technical with my passing. It's basically reading what the defense gives me and letting it fly. It's been working since Madden 2002!

# 6 Smallville102001 @ 08/30/16 02:25 AM
Passing game has always been the thing I have had the hardest time doing in madden games. On default all pro I have a hard time passing. I have played about 7 games of madden 17 so far and I have thrown 28 INT no joke lol. I have thrown at least 3 INT in ever game but 1. My last like 4 games playing with Armors sliders I am still only completing about 50-53% of my passes and still throwing about 3-5 INT ever game and that is with Rodgers one of the better games.

# 7 ggsimmonds @ 08/30/16 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallville102001
Passing game has always been the thing I have had the hardest time doing in madden games. On default all pro I have a hard time passing. I have played about 7 games of madden 17 so far and I have thrown 28 INT no joke lol. I have thrown at least 3 INT in ever game but 1. My last like 4 games playing with Armors sliders I am still only completing about 50-53% of my passes and still throwing about 3-5 INT ever game and that is with Rodgers one of the better games.
Do you ever take the checkdown?

# 8 Birdman18 @ 08/30/16 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atax1s
What's new about the double tap passing is that it works this year. Especially on dig routes to clear linebackers in an underneath coverage on drag routes.

It worked last year as well in the same situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 9 Smallville102001 @ 08/30/16 10:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
Do you ever take the checkdown?

lol yes I try to but maybe not enough. Or maybe I miss the open guy and pass to the covered guy instead.

# 10 fballturkey @ 08/31/16 02:05 AM
Can I get a little shock collar hooked up to the game that zaps me when I miss the MLB covering the crossing route and throw it straight into his chest?

# 11 KG @ 08/31/16 08:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
A couple of things on the article, first correct the typo that says two safeties high indicates cover 3. That is wrong, perhaps you meant cover 4.

Second, if this is meant as a guide of sorts I would have went into more detail on how to make reads. For example in most cases as soon as I snap the ball I look to the middle of the field, regardless of where my primary target is.
Why? Because most times that tells me all I need to know about the defense. Sure crafty defenses can run combo defense with zone inside while matching up in man on the defense, but that is rare.

I think it is better to provide the steps on how to make post snap reads rather than leave it at scan the field.
Good points ggsimmonds!

You're right in that a 2 high look is def more of a Cover 4 indicator with both safeties and outside CBs dropping straight back. I've been fixated lately on my Skins dropping into some Cover 3 variations from their base 3-4 look this preseason (safeties splitting the field/mike backer getting depth on snap/corners covering the short zone, traditional - walk D Hall/Sua Cravens up/corners drop deep, etc...). Again, it's preseason so we'll see what happens when the lights turn on.

This is just an intro article. Our plan is to get into more detail as it relates to specific plays but as always, your feedback is top notch!

# 12 ggsimmonds @ 08/31/16 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG
Good points ggsimmonds!

You're right in that a 2 high look is def more of a Cover 4 indicator with both safeties and outside CBs dropping straight back. I've been fixated lately on my Skins dropping into some Cover 3 variations from their base 3-4 look this preseason (safeties splitting the field/mike backer getting depth on snap/corners covering the short zone, traditional - walk D Hall/Sua Cravens up/corners drop deep, etc...). Again, it's preseason so we'll see what happens when the lights turn on.

This is just an intro article. Our plan is to get into more detail as it relates to specific plays but as always, your feedback is top notch!
No problem.

Regarding the real NFL, yeah since most teams actually do the same things it is all about disguising coverages, and outside of the "cover 2 show 4" types of plays (great additions from a few years ago but does anyone know if it offers any benefit against the AI?) Madden somewhat lacks in that field.

Though from what you described the Skins doing it sounds like they are running some Tampa 2 (safeties playing 2 deep, corners sitting, and MLB dropping back). Tampa 2 has worked really well for me in this year's Madden.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.