Home
NBA 2K17 News Post

UPROXX has posted their NBA 2K17 hands-on impressions and talk about the controls and the importance of your stick skills this year. They also go over the new shot aiming system.

Quote:
“Let’s say you start this little cool move and you want to break out at that moment in time,” Jones says. “The animation had launched and there were specific branch points where you could get out, but as a user, you wanna get out when you want to get out. This year, we took all of that — what we felt like — canned stuff and was (sic) like look: ‘as a user, you can still recreate it.’ The animations that make up that guy’s dribble package, are signature. But if you wanna create that situation that he specifically does, it’s on your stick skills.”

That emphasis on a user’s “stick skills,” specifically how they’re able to move their player in a fashion similar to how they would in real life, is now augmented. You are controlling all of the player’s movements instead of just most of them. There’s no jumping off point where you’re left the manipulations of what they’ve already programmed for that player at that time in the game.

Most games only do release stuff on jump shots. Jones compared it to pulling a bow and arrow: you pull it back to the right tension and then release it. That release timing has always been there for NBA 2K jump shots, but now they’ve added aim, so “you can actually aim left-right on the shots.”

Game: NBA 2K17Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 14 - View All
Member Comments
# 1 Hopsin @ 08/29/16 01:43 PM
http://uproxx.it/2bR5vxM
Go read it for yourself, talks about stick skills being tested. As well as it seems we will be able to break out of animations whoever we want.

This was already posted a few mins before me.. Not sure how to delete..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 2 LM1213 @ 08/29/16 01:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAY_D1
Dime Mag just put out a new article today on NBA 2K17..

http://uproxx.com/dimemag/nba-2k17-g...lism-improved/
I very optimistic but I gotta say I hear this every year. optimistic though

# 3 Zeke11 @ 08/29/16 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAY_D1
Dime Mag just put out a new article today on NBA 2K17..

http://uproxx.com/dimemag/nba-2k17-g...lism-improved/
Can't lie this got me hyped

# 4 Mikelopedia @ 08/29/16 01:54 PM
If the examples of the ability to control EXACTLY how you finish at the rim aren't just hyperbole, I'm looking forward to using the smaller PG's this year.

Can't wait for the FIFA player to tell us about it this week.

# 5 RLebron12 @ 08/29/16 01:58 PM
I am definitely intrigued about how this is going to play out. From the sounds of it I can definitely see myself spending time in practice mode trying to perfect it.

# 6 RLebron12 @ 08/29/16 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedream2k16
Looks like their will be an advantage to using the shot stick as opposed to button only

Yup, and that's why I'm going to have to hit practice mode because I usually am a button shooter. Might have to try mixing it up this year.

# 7 cthurt @ 08/29/16 02:29 PM
I have always used buttons for jump shots but shot stick for layups, dunks and low post moves so this is very intriguing to me.

# 8 bottledwaterfan25 @ 08/29/16 02:30 PM
I love these type of articles, where we hear about actual gameplay. I am ready to read some Dev blogs to get the full detailed story.

Really looking forward to hearing about the shot stick mechanics, as well as hearing about new changes to defense.

# 9 BezO @ 08/29/16 02:33 PM
Looking forward to it. Might be in practice modes a little longer this year.

Seems like they implied size ups are gone.

# 10 coachcolbert @ 08/29/16 02:35 PM
i sure hope size ups are gone! use your own creativity to break an opponent down. not pre made cheese lmao!

im looking forward to mastering the stick shot control

# 11 rhein77 @ 08/29/16 02:44 PM
Sounds good. Definitely widening the skill gap with dribbling. At first I was against them removing the signature size ups but now I realize removing them gives more control and thus more creativity.

# 12 The 24th Letter @ 08/29/16 02:45 PM
Sounds good...its exactly what a lot of people said they wanted....it will be interesting to see how players react to having to learn the sticks

# 13 LorenzoDC @ 08/29/16 02:50 PM
Interesting. Some good points:
  • developer emphasis on user control on offense
  • freedom from offensive animation "prison"
  • likely ability to operate better from triple threat and off the dribble
  • combine this with an apparent emphasis on better player collision dynamics, we should see improved organic physical interactions without clipping animations
Some questions:
  • What about defense? So far we haven't heard about greater user control of defense, where it has been needed even more than on offense. That means animations, on ball and off ball
  • What about passing? Greater player control should also mean more reliable passing actions and control. For years, the directional passing hasa been very unreliable and icon passing very slow/clumsy in getting the ball efficiently to a target. If the devs really focused on player control from all aspects involved, hopefully user passing has improved, though I know it's always been challenging to code as players move and are directionally mere degrees of separation from each other relative to the passer.
Overall, a focus on player control and skill is a good thing, and I'm glad for this news. I just want to know how far it extends and of course see how well it is implemented.

# 14 Hassan Darkside @ 08/29/16 02:55 PM
Interesting. Anything that involves giving more control back to the user is welcome, even though I'm still trying to figure out how to consistently dribble the ball between my left leg.

# 15 BA2929 @ 08/29/16 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Sounds good...its exactly what a lot of people said they wanted....it will be interesting to see how players react to having to learn the sticks
I think we all know how that's going to end up:

# 16 nddot @ 08/29/16 03:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BA2929
I think we all know how that's going to end up:

they gonna ask for a patch a few hours after the official release

# 17 Futurestyl3 @ 08/29/16 03:08 PM
Only a few players size up moves will be missed.

Kyrie irving had the best ones imo, steph coming in second

# 18 de_jesus @ 08/29/16 03:10 PM
It seems like a lot of the articles I've read on the new animations pertain to the offensive end.

I'm curious as to how the defense will be affected. Will I still be trapped in a foul animation if I try to steal the ball and I end up trying to wrap my arms around the defender? Will I still unintentionally draw hard fouls when all I wanted to do was test my "verticality"?

I hope we get some news on the defensive end.

# 19 Goffs @ 08/29/16 03:16 PM
I've been always been a stick user and its about damn time Mike started to look at the sticks again.

# 20 splashmountain @ 08/29/16 03:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopsin
http://uproxx.it/2bR5vxM
Go read it for yourself, talks about stick skills being tested. As well as it seems we will be able to break out of animations whoever we want.

This was already posted a few mins before me.. Not sure how to delete..

lol we'll see about that break out of animations thing. they've been saying that since 2k10 I believe. I aint buying it until I actually can see it for myself.

« Previous12345Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.