Home
NBA 2K17 News Post

UPROXX has posted their NBA 2K17 hands-on impressions and talk about the controls and the importance of your stick skills this year. They also go over the new shot aiming system.

Quote:
“Let’s say you start this little cool move and you want to break out at that moment in time,” Jones says. “The animation had launched and there were specific branch points where you could get out, but as a user, you wanna get out when you want to get out. This year, we took all of that — what we felt like — canned stuff and was (sic) like look: ‘as a user, you can still recreate it.’ The animations that make up that guy’s dribble package, are signature. But if you wanna create that situation that he specifically does, it’s on your stick skills.”

That emphasis on a user’s “stick skills,” specifically how they’re able to move their player in a fashion similar to how they would in real life, is now augmented. You are controlling all of the player’s movements instead of just most of them. There’s no jumping off point where you’re left the manipulations of what they’ve already programmed for that player at that time in the game.

Most games only do release stuff on jump shots. Jones compared it to pulling a bow and arrow: you pull it back to the right tension and then release it. That release timing has always been there for NBA 2K jump shots, but now they’ve added aim, so “you can actually aim left-right on the shots.”

Game: NBA 2K17Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 14 - View All
Member Comments
# 21 splashmountain @ 08/29/16 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by de_jesus
It seems like a lot of the articles I've read on the new animations pertain to the offensive end.

I'm curious as to how the defense will be affected. Will I still be trapped in a foul animation if I try to steal the ball and I end up trying to wrap my arms around the defender? Will I still unintentionally draw hard fouls when all I wanted to do was test my "verticality"?

I hope we get some news on the defensive end.
or they call you for many more reach in fouls for you guys that love to spam the steal button? lol

# 22 de_jesus @ 08/29/16 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by splashmountain
or they call you for many more reach in fouls for you guys that love to spam the steal button? lol
Which would be fine. But I'm more curious as to how and to what extent animations will be forced on us.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

# 23 jadert @ 08/29/16 03:50 PM
In theory, this sounds perfect! However, when I really think about it the animations are what set 2K apart from Live in the earlier days. It's a tradeoff situation. To make the movement realistic as possible, 2K took away some of our control. Now that we get to control everything, is it going to be herky jerky with less smoothness? Or will it look like a basketball simulation? Can't wait to test this out during the Prelude!

# 24 Hustle Westbrook @ 08/29/16 03:50 PM
Honestly, all these new controls sound daunting, but I'm all for separating the skill gap between the bad online players and the skilled ones.

Last year more than any other year I felt that I wasn't able to fully impose my will on weaker players. There were too many scrub players that beat me or stayed in close games with me, that I know I would have destroyed several years ago in older 2Ks.

# 25 stillfeelme @ 08/29/16 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Sounds good...its exactly what a lot of people said they wanted....it will be interesting to see how players react to having to learn the sticks

This is exactly what I wanted. The animations are tied to the player but you have to know how to pull off the dribble moves to turn the elite dribblers into elite dribblers.

Some of the sig size ups didn't have a good use in 2K16 because the branching didn't let you go nowhere to a point where you could explode or chain together. Some of them were real good like Steph and Kyrie's.

If you read one of the impression articles from PopSCi

http://www.popsci.com/nba-2k17-improves-on-merging-sports-and-gaming

Quote:
The algorithms that allow you to do dribble moves were pretty good in the past, but they looked like scripted animations that were hard to escape. That made it difficult, in some situations, to capitalize and beat your defender off the dribble. Now, the algorithms are layered, which helps the gamers with better timing and stick skills to actually dice up their opponents, rewarding the better player.
In practice, dribbling moves have gotten a lot more difficult to time up, which is good and bad. It makes the game more realistic, but it doesn’t allow you to string together a ridiculously fun sequence of moves like you could in the past. I’m sure that if I became more familiar with the game, as I have with the previous versions, it would make more sense the more I messed around with it. For now, it does seem like a hurdle that the average gamer might not be able to fully clear.
This guy told me everything I need to know it is going to take a little bit of practice to get the advance size ups to chain like you want. This means some actual stick skill is needed. This is what is going to separate an advanced Steph user from a casual user.

Instead of us relying on the stringing together a long canned animation we have to do it ourselves.

I like how they are doing it although you have Kyrie's, Steph animations you have to actually learn the combo and how to read the defense to turn the player into somewhat real.

# 26 stillfeelme @ 08/29/16 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by de_jesus
It seems like a lot of the articles I've read on the new animations pertain to the offensive end.

I'm curious as to how the defense will be affected. Will I still be trapped in a foul animation if I try to steal the ball and I end up trying to wrap my arms around the defender? Will I still unintentionally draw hard fouls when all I wanted to do was test my "verticality"?

I hope we get some news on the defensive end.
Yeah they haven't gone into detail on defense. The only thing they mentioned not in this article was that you can now deflect balls if they are put out in your face.

# 27 23 @ 08/29/16 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfeelme
Yeah they haven't gone into detail on defense. The only thing they mentioned not in this article was that you can now deflect balls if they are put out in your face.
Well from that article that is suggested above, we just don't know.

Sam Pham broke down one of the defensive sequences in the game from last year, where the guy wasn't very clear about the defense, and I tend to agree with Sam.

# 28 stillfeelme @ 08/29/16 04:34 PM
True you are right I agree they haven't gone into detail on how the actual defensive improvements reflect game play in enough details with real life and visual evidence.

I think they talked about related to defense:

• Physics of the ball, deflections on how they play a factor on defense about how you can use it to get steals if the ball is unprotected.
  • On the flip side they talked about how stealing can't be abused as much as 2K16.
  • Help side defense and how blocks will come from help side defense. Way too vague about it now.
  • They talked about how easy the passes were in the paint and not being the case in 2K17
  • They also talked about how passing in the key all "willy nilly" could be used as a money play in 2K16. This is supposedly not easy like this in 2K17 more live balls and deflections. So some of the defense improvements might come from taking away from too many advantages given to the offense.
This and the ability to bump and chuck players is about all we know the real details comes from how "good" and "bad" or realistic defense rotations are coded. Or any other on ball/ off ball settings

# 29 Jesus_Swagglesworth @ 08/29/16 04:35 PM
Obvious hot take/prediction: The player who learns to control their bipedal tanks the best (AKA defenders) will be the best at this game

Stick skills are irrelevant if they're on one side of the ball. If we had this control on defense, it wouldve been announced it along with this considering the talking point is "stick skills"

# 30 Caelumfang @ 08/29/16 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
Well from that article that is suggested above, we just don't know.

Sam Pham broke down one of the defensive sequences in the game from last year, where the guy wasn't very clear about the defense, and I tend to agree with Sam.

You know, I was wondering when someone would attack this issue. The fact that your defenders do this is actually bad for the in-game world, and it's funny that it's being talked up like it's a good thing.

# 31 stillfeelme @ 08/29/16 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus_Swagglesworth
Obvious hot take/prediction: The player who learns to control their bipedal tanks the best (AKA defenders) will be the best at this game

Stick skills are irrelevant if they're on one side of the ball. If we had this control on defense, it wouldve been announced it along with this considering the talking point is "stick skills"
That and how well off ball CPU AI is implemented as well as on ball defense is coded with this new physics. You either are going to have to be a hybrid on ball off ball player or strictly on on ball more. I can't really tell from what they released and the Gamescom footage

# 32 Jesus_Swagglesworth @ 08/29/16 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfeelme
That and how well off ball CPU AI is implemented as well as on ball defense is coded with this new physics. You either are going to have to be a hybrid on ball off ball player or strictly on on ball more. I can't really tell from what they released and the Gamescom footage
Agreed, and IMO the way that the AI works now/2k16 is best suited for this offensive showcase coming in 2k17

The random help defense might help weed out bad/dumb players

Im worried that this one sided stick skill-fest will destroy the mental and BBIQ aspect of the game. If more defensive freedom was implemented then this is nothing to worry about.... But the way they're hyping up offense makes me think people can just perfect some BS drive and layup and spam that the whole game

^ Hot takes everywhere, yes, this is what happens when we don't get clear news lol

# 33 Smirkin Dirk @ 08/29/16 05:43 PM
I hope that real player gaps are preserved. I.e. A supreme stick user shouldn't be able to dominate with Kendrick Perkins.

# 34 ch46647 @ 08/29/16 05:46 PM
I'm assuming this will be the big week for 2K news. Did 2K set some sort of action plan for the week? Hoping the blogs come sooner rather than later.

# 35 Gramps91 @ 08/29/16 05:56 PM
Yea, I'm going to be pretty skeptical until I get to play around with it. Always hated using the sticks to shoot, myself. Hopefully, it won't be as bad as I think it's going to be.

# 36 23 @ 08/29/16 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ch46647
I'm assuming this will be the big week for 2K YOUTUBERS. Did 2K set some sort of action plan for the week BESIDES BEING EXCITED ABOUT HANGING OUT WITH THE FIFA GIRL? Hoping the blogs come sooner rather than later BUT WE ALL KNOW 2K DOES THIS ALL THE TIME AND THEY ARE AHEAD OF SCHEDULE.
Fixed that for ya.

# 37 kevmasood @ 08/29/16 06:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cthurt
I have always used buttons for jump shots but shot stick for layups, dunks and low post moves so this is very intriguing to me.
eXACTLY !!!! SAME HERE

# 38 Gosens6 @ 08/29/16 06:20 PM
Quote:
You are controlling all of the player’s movements instead of just most of them. There’s no jumping off point where you’re left the manipulations of what they’ve already programmed for that player at that time in the game.
Quote:
The best part about basketball is the flow. At its pinnacle — like the regular season ’15-’16 Warriors, or the Spurs in the 2014 Finals — the offensive flow in basketball is like a carefully orchestrated symphony concerto crescendoing into a made basket. Now 2K has made that flow even more pronounced. You’re not getting stuck in seemingly anachronistic synthetic animations that can take away from the back-and-forth battles the best 2K matchups produce.

As Rob summed it up, “Now every player has full control over what he (she) sees.”

# 39 DaReapa @ 08/29/16 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LorenzoDC
Interesting. Some good points:
  • developer emphasis on user control on offense
  • freedom from offensive animation "prison"
  • likely ability to operate better from triple threat and off the dribble
  • combine this with an apparent emphasis on better player collision dynamics, we should see improved organic physical interactions without clipping animations
Some questions:
  • What about defense? So far we haven't heard about greater user control of defense, where it has been needed even more than on offense. That means animations, on ball and off ball
  • What about passing? Greater player control should also mean more reliable passing actions and control. For years, the directional passing hasa been very unreliable and icon passing very slow/clumsy in getting the ball efficiently to a target. If the devs really focused on player control from all aspects involved, hopefully user passing has improved, though I know it's always been challenging to code as players move and are directionally mere degrees of separation from each other relative to the passer.
Overall, a focus on player control and skill is a good thing, and I'm glad for this news. I just want to know how far it extends and of course see how well it is implemented.
Exactly! But even given all the talk about changes to the offensive control, like LM1213 said earlier, all of these "improvements" has been stated just about every year and ends up being not much better than the last. Much to the point where it has turned me off of the series. And I had once been a faithful purchaser getting every game up until '12. Won't touch it again until genuine improvements to the controls have been made.

# 40 scottyp180 @ 08/29/16 06:30 PM
Definitely have heard the "full control" ploy before but this certainly sounds like an improvement over what we've had in this past. It might not turn out to be the full control people want but this is an area they have been working on for many years now so, perhaps, this will be the year things finally click.

Either way the more control the better. Can't wait to see and, more importantly, feel the change.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.