Home
NBA 2K17 News Post

JFox Entertainment has posted his NBA 2K17 hands-on impressions, including Pro-Am and gameplay details. Check it out and post your thoughts.

Game: NBA 2K17Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 14 - View All
Member Comments
# 101 NINJAK2 @ 08/31/16 07:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustle Westbrook
Apparently green releases are automatic makes again. Complete nonsense 2K. Get that arcade crap out of the game man.

That just damn near killed my hype for this game.
I'd wait until you play Hustle before you get too stressed. Plus you know 2k isn't afraid to release patches or tweak shooting percentages if it's a big problem.

# 102 Dione2014 @ 09/01/16 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perdrix
I am sorry, but I respectfully disagree with those kind of statements. Perhaps I'm in the minority here, but hear me out. Basketball is a complex sport because it requires from the player to always make the correct decision among a myriad of possibilities. To know when to cut to the basket, for example, or to know when to rotate on defence, to know when to pass and when to shoot, to know when to run on the fast break and when to take time off the clock, to know when to foul etc. That's what makes basketball a complex sport, not the complexity of the individual movements that a player needs to perform.

The same logic applies to 2K basketball. I'd rather play with a "casual" as you called them, who knows all the above and shoots with the button, than a master of the stick who spends all his time practicing his skills, but lacks the basketball iq required, because he wants to break ankles all the time. I honestly fail to see how having a mechanical muscle memory of how to move the stick (because this is what it is) makes one a better player. Just my two cents.
I totally understand. There's definitely more than just individual skill that drives the complexity of basketball. I aslo would much rather play against an opponent who understands the intricate details of basketball over some one who masters the game but not the game of basketball (if that makes sense). All i'm saying is that skill on the sticks should definitely be a part of the equation also.

I'm just looking for good balance, which in some of the more recent 2K's we haven't really had. Mostly because lack of control over animations and unrealistic shooting outcomes (which oddly enough were an issue for the sake of balancing out shooting percentages). Now i'm not saying i want individual stick skills in terms of dribbling and scoring to override a good team defense and well ran offense. That hardly should ever be the case. However i do think players should be more in control of hot and cold streaks instead of just being basically a RNG system.

# 103 jackzagal @ 09/01/16 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJAK2
I'd wait until you play Hustle before you get too stressed. Plus you know 2k isn't afraid to release patches or tweak shooting percentages if it's a big problem.
Yes, and we don't know at which rate (more or less) Green Releases happen. I don't think they will be like they were after 2k15 patch 4. Obviously, it should have to be a completely wide open shot and super-perfect button/stick sync, even with sharpshooters. I wish Beluba elaborated a bit more about that, just so people don't freak out about certain controversial things. I don't think they would let green releases be "automatic" again and at the same time don't make them extremely hard/rare to get.

# 104 El_Poopador @ 09/02/16 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beluba
Lateral stepback jumpers and hop shots are now exclusively done by tapping the Shot Button. So pulling down on the Pro Stick while moving will always give you a normal pullup even if you're driving across the lane (in 2K cam.)

The Pro Stick will only choose unique shot types when inside the paint (hence don't require aiming)... floaters, layups, post shots, etc.
So how does that work exactly? To do a stepback, do you need to switch to the button then back to the stick to to the shot itself? Or are shots like that done entirely on the button?

Are all of the different shot types going to be explained by 2kU? Or will it be just the absolute basics like in the past, and we need to look at the in-game manual to see how to perform each different type of shot?

# 105 kabamaru @ 09/05/16 05:57 AM
I am really dissapointed that right stick shooters will get an advantage over button shooters.

In fact it can mean that a player with great stick skills taking a bad shot selection, can have same FG% with a button shooter taking a better shot.

Basically it slightly turns a "Sim" game to a FPS, where stick shoot aiming is crucial.

I just can't understand the rational.
You already had the choice to shoot the way it suit you most. All in all, people shooting with the button were already in disantvantage due to less options.

Why "punish" them more?

Has the ability to push a stick straight up anything to do with basketball knowledge/sim?

# 106 Vni @ 09/05/16 06:07 AM
It's a risk/reward system and I doubt either the risk or the reward is that great. I think it's a really cool little mechanic. I'am used to shooting jumpers with the button but I embrace this addition. You don't have to be shooting all your jumpers with the stick. If you don't have some kind of hand/finger condition there is no reason you can't adapt to this.

# 107 Ziolepr8 @ 09/05/16 06:33 AM
I miss Nba2k11 controls, worked like charm... Pump fake, and if the defender bites, LT+RS in the direction you wanted. Cleanest pull up jumpers ever. Everything felt very consistent at the time, LS and RS to perform moves and shots, and LT+LS or RS to modify moves and shots, which ment ISO moves and pull ups or hopsteps and so on. So much more logical and more analogic than ever, much more than mere animation triggering. I never understood why they took a different path from there.

# 108 Vni @ 09/05/16 06:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziolepr8
I miss Nba2k11 controls, worked like charm... Pump fake, and if the defender bites, LT+RS in the direction you wanted.
I think that made it into the game.

# 109 shegotgame @ 09/05/16 07:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluFu
Slightly early/late wide open shot vs perfect release slightly contested shot. Which is better? Same spot, same shooter (Not considering badges).

*Edit: Or maybe I should ask: is there a significant difference between those two scenarios?

Open shots kind of felt like a dice roll in 2K16 if the release timing was slightly off online.

Well, according to Beluba, the perfect release shot is going in--contested or not.

Or are you talking about something other than results?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 110 shegotgame @ 09/05/16 07:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBoo50
"Real FG%" is it gonna make any difference on Mypark & ProAM?

still not sure why its available for MyCareer mode

No. As Beluba stated, real FG% is not an online option. User timing/control is where they are moving for competitive modes to emphasize user skill.

# 111 gabbo01 @ 09/05/16 07:37 AM
Any news about using defensive matchups in Pro AM this year to change who is guarding who by default?

# 112 Jrocc23 @ 09/05/16 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabamaru
I am really dissapointed that right stick shooters will get an advantage over button shooters.

In fact it can mean that a player with great stick skills taking a bad shot selection, can have same FG% with a button shooter taking a better shot.

Basically it slightly turns a "Sim" game to a FPS, where stick shoot aiming is crucial.

I just can't understand the rational.

You already had the choice to shoot the way it suit you most. All in all, people shooting with the button were already in disantvantage due to less options.

Why "punish" them more?

Has the ability to push a stick straight up anything to do with basketball knowledge/sim?

I don't like it either. But we'll see how it goes.

# 113 BezO @ 09/05/16 10:46 AM
Quote:
Just to clarify. For the pro stick aiming it's ALWAYS pull straight down or straight up, not at different angles based on where you are. I actually prototyped a camera-relative version where you need to push the stick toward the hoop for perfect aim and it was boo boo.
Wow! Maybe I'm the only relative user thinking this was a terrible decision, but that little thing has me contemplating passing on 2K for the 1st time since this game hit PS. I've used relative controls since they've been available. If they're still available for ball handling, that would be very confusing going back and forth, at least for me.

Damn!

# 114 Ziolepr8 @ 09/05/16 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vni
I think that made it into the game.
I'm sorry but... what?

# 115 coachcolbert @ 09/05/16 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
Wow! Maybe I'm the only relative user thinking this was a terrible decision, but that little thing has me contemplating passing on 2K for the 1st time since this game hit PS. I've used relative controls since they've been available. If they're still available for ball handling, that would be very confusing going back and forth, at least for me.

Damn!
cmon BezO!! youre a 2k vet! dont let something like that keep you from a great game!! lmao

youll adjust my dude - right?? 17 is right around the corner

# 116 Vni @ 09/05/16 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziolepr8
I'm sorry but... what?
In the Mike Wang thread people were asking for the 2K11 mechanic where you push the left stick into the jumping defender to draw the foul like in 2K11.

So they put it in. I guess it will be in the day one patch.

Quote:
Just to follow up on this. My shots engineer was able to make this change. You'll only get the pump fake fouls if your Left Stick is pushing towards the blocker. It'll be patched in.

# 117 Ziolepr8 @ 09/05/16 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vni
In the Mike Wang thread people were asking for the 2K11 mechanic where you push the left stick into the jumping defender to draw the foul like in 2K11.

So they put it in. I guess it will be in the day one patch.
Oh i see. I wans't talking about that, though.
In NBA 2k11 the concept was that LS was for basic moving, RS for basic shooting (Jumpshooting while far from the basket, layup-dunking while running to it)and the LT to modifies it.
If I recall correctly, with the player standing, holding or dribbling the ball, pressing LT+RS in one direction triggered a short dribble followed by a pull up jumper, which was a great way to punish flying or too slow to recover defender. It was very neat, easy to control.
In general, the game was very clean in its moves, and was very hard to get stucked into messy animation.

# 118 BezO @ 09/06/16 08:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coachcolbert
cmon BezO!! youre a 2k vet! dont let something like that keep you from a great game!! lmao

youll adjust my dude - right?? 17 is right around the corner
Unfortunately for me, this is a big deal. I'll try it out before making a final decision, but I've tried absolute controls before and hated them. Stick movement that contradicts what I see on screen just doesn't work for me.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.