Home
NBA 2K17 News Post

2K has just posted a new trailer highlighting all-new NBA 2K17 commentary, which includes Dynamic Booth and the debut of new analysts including Chris Webber, Brent Barry, Steve Smith, and Doris Burke complementing Kevin Harlan (play-by-play) and Greg Anthony (lead analyst). For the first time, users will have variable secondary analysts for various games throughout the NBA season.

Additionally, this year’s title builds upon the NBA 2K series’ signature presentation package by adding:
  • Authentic Arena Crowds – featuring all 30 home teams.
  • Coach Mic-Up RealVoice – new feature with 200+ coach mic-up clips and huddles. Includes 1:1 body and facial animations.
  • New Sideline Commentary – featuring TNT and TBS broadcasting reporter David Aldridge.
  • MyPLAYER Interviews – Shaq, Kenny, and David Aldridge will interview your MyPLAYER at end of half, and end of game, including on the Studio Show.
  • Authentic Arena Sound FX – including net, rim, dunk, buzzers, horns, chants, game sound effects, per each NBA arena.
  • RealVoice Interviews (Players and Coaches) – including 150+ new interviews at end of half and end of game with coaches and players.

Game: NBA 2K17Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 14 - View All
Member Comments
# 161 malky @ 09/08/16 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGDunks
The difference is that in real life they tend to talk about actual storylines in the season that are unfolding, then they might talk about how dominant a player in that game has been and then during returns from timeouts they mention other games and what else is happening today.

2K instead just talks about history a great deal, and after a few weeks you've heard the same old thing 80 times.

I've always said they need more commentary and analysis in the game of what is actually unfolding in the season.

In PlayNow they could do this by adding more and mores lines that talk about the current season unfolding. I'm aware there are already some in the game, but not enough in my opinion.

In the modes with multiple seasons, trades, and stories like MyGm and MyCareer there is an absolute goldmine of potential just waiting. Obviously they can talk about how well a player has been playing, how well they're playing compared to last year, but they really could and should add in a lot more. Talk about the awards races, talk about the breakout stars, mention the games that are vital in the playoffs race, mention the trade rumours, the coaching firing rumours and all that. And a major one that really is lacking is the lack of discussion of the generated rookies each year. Allow us to give them storylines, and have the commentators talk about that, but also talk about how their careers are going.

I understand that's an immense amount of stuff, but 2K could probably implement it eventually.

I just don't like hearing about 90s basketall all the time when I'm playing or how well the Warriors did last season 80 times.
I agree more dynamic commentary about your franchise as the years go on is what I'd LOVE to see, which I'm sure 2k has some but would love to hear how they expanded in that area.

# 162 NYJin2011tm @ 09/08/16 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
Shoot, those random stories are the best thing about color commentary. One of 2 reasons I enjoy watching the Nets since they have the best commentary team in the league.

How ya'll think JVG has lasted this long? Lol

Who are they?

# 163 El_Poopador @ 09/08/16 03:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
This happens in 2k though (it happens in the video too with Steve Smith). Also in real life, the side convos only get interrupted if a big play happens (just like in 2k). If Hubie Brown or Chris Webber is rambling about a story and a player hits a normal jumpshot, the PBP guy typically just summarizes what happened after the convo/story is done. The reason for that is because they PBP guy doesnt need to call every play because the viewer can actually see the play.

With a radio broadcast, you hear less stories because the PBP guy has to describe every play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
I've always disagreed with you on this.

It's not like a radio broadcast where the commentators are saying 'Melo whips it to Rose, Rose passes to Noah down on the block, Noah bounces it to a cutting Lee' on every possesion.

Especially nowadays.

There really is a lot of off-game talking during the non intense moments...and they'll throw in a 'as Rose scores a basket there' in the middle of their sentence as they're doing so. It happened quite often in just the first 5 minutes of the video you posted.
I don't expect them to describe every play, but the reason the commentary becomes repetitive is because there is far too much back story, and like KGDunks said above, it never changes. Yes, there are a lot of things in the video I posted that weren't directly talking about what's happening on the court, but the transitions were smooth.

In 2k, yes, they break for a dunk or something like that, but they never really talk about what leads up to the dunk, how someone got so much space for a wide open 3, etc. Even if you hit 10 3pointers within a five minute span, they don't acknowledge that anything out of the ordinary is happening on the court.

In real life, they don't only break the conversations when something exciting happens. They transition between the two.

At 2:40, for example, Harlan is talking about the Knicks' previous game. As soon as the ball is knocked away, he transitions into a full play-by-play until Bazemore scores on the other end. Even after the score, they continue talking about how Millsap dove on the floor to make that play happen.

Then Harlan starts talking about the Knicks record last year, but then cuts himself off when Lopez gets doubled and hits the hook shot.

From there, Reggie begins talking about how the size of Porzingis and Lopez is something they haven't had the last few years, but then jumps back to play-by-play when the ball is stolen all the way to the layup. That gives a nice transition into another side conversation when Calderon is fouled.

During the free throws, they have a side discussion about their thoughts on the two teams, but then go back to play-by-play when Horford sets the screen for Teague. Lopez grabs the rebound, which then gives them another transition to talk about his numbers the night before. As they discuss that, Lopez makes a nice roll, and they go back to the action on the court about his position and getting fouled.

All of those examples in 2 minutes of a real broadcast, and outside of the steal, there weren't any "big" plays. I'm not against having the stories and conversations at all; I just wish they would sound more natural and move back and forth between commenting on the game and having the conversations. If the transitions between the two were better, it would also help. If Kyrie gets fouled going for a layup, don't randomly bring up the top rebounding teams from last year. Have a reason to talk about something, and lead into it.

Sorry for the super long post lol. Just trying to get my thoughts on it out there.

# 164 ProfessaPackMan @ 09/08/16 03:51 PM
Quote:
In the modes with multiple seasons, trades, and stories like MyGm and MyCareer there is an absolute goldmine of potential just waiting. Obviously they can talk about how well a player has been playing, how well they're playing compared to last year, but they really could and should add in a lot more. Talk about the awards races, talk about the breakout stars, mention the games that are vital in the playoffs race, mention the trade rumours, the coaching firing rumours and all that. And a major one that really is lacking is the lack of discussion of the generated rookies each year. Allow us to give them storylines, and have the commentators talk about that, but also talk about how their careers are going.
That would be damn near difficult, if not impossible to implement.

# 165 aholbert32 @ 09/08/16 03:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Poopador
I don't expect them to describe every play, but the reason the commentary becomes repetitive is because there is far too much back story. Yes, there are a lot of things in the video I posted that weren't directly what's happening, but the transitions were smooth.

In 2k, yes, they break for a dunk or something like that, but they never really talk about what leads up to the dunk, how someone got so much space for a wide open 3, etc. Even if you hit 10 3pointers within a five minute span, they don't acknowledge that anything out of the ordinary is happening on the court.

In real life, they don't only break the conversations when something exciting happens. They transition between the two.

At 2:40, for example, Harlan is talking about the Knicks' previous game. As soon as the ball is knocked away, he transitions into a full play-by-play until Bazemore scores on the other end. Even after the score, they continue talking about how Millsap dove on the floor to make that play happen.

Then Harlan starts talking about the Knicks record last year, but then cuts himself off when Lopez gets doubled and hits the hook shot.

From there, Reggie begins talking about how the size of Porzingis and Lopez is something they haven't had the last few years, but then jumps back to play-by-play when the ball is stolen all the way to the layup. That gives a nice transition into another side conversation when Calderon is fouled.

During the free throws, they have a side discussion about their thoughts on the two teams, but then go back to play-by-play when Horford sets the screen for Teague. Lopez grabs the rebound, which then gives them another transition to talk about his numbers the night before. As they discuss that, Lopez makes a nice roll, and they go back to the action on the court about his position and getting fouled.

All of those examples in 2 minutes of a real broadcast, and outside of the steal, there weren't any "big" plays. I'm not against having the stories and conversations at all; I just wish they would sound more natural and move back and forth between commenting on the game and having the conversations. If the transitions between the two were better, it would also help. If Kyrie gets fouled going for a layup, don't randomly bring up the top rebounding teams from last year. Have a reason to talk about something, and lead into it.

Sorry for the super long post lol. Just trying to get my thoughts on it out there.
From a technical perspective, what you are asking for isnt likely to be cheap or easy.

1) It requires hours of more time recording than the already are using. When you are using actual announcers and not voice actors, you have significantly less time to work with them. Harlan has multiple other jobs so that doesnt seem likely.

2) The audio tech needs to advance to the point where it can be interrupted and pick back up to tell the same story...possibly multiple times.

If any game has ever come close to that, I would love to see it. I havent seen it though.

In the end, its a video game and they are limited by the tech and development time.

# 166 choteron2 @ 09/08/16 03:58 PM
Hope that MYGM and Myleague halftime shows talk about injuries, trades, games to watch,allstar votes, players of the month and week, league leaders (points,blocks,rebounds,steals),etc

# 167 El_Poopador @ 09/08/16 04:01 PM
Quote:
From a technical perspective, what you are asking for isnt likely to be cheap or easy.

1) It requires hours of more time recording than the already are using. When you are using actual announcers and not voice actors, you have significantly less time to work with them. Harlan has multiple other jobs so that doesnt seem likely.

2) The audio tech needs to advance to the point where it can be interrupted and pick back up to tell the same story...possibly multiple times.

If any game has ever come close to that, I would love to see it. I havent seen it though.

In the end, its a video game and they are limited by the tech and development time.
The best commentary I've heard in a sports game I think is this year's Madden. They have a great balance between stories/side conversations and play-by-play. And that was done in a single development cycle.

I get that it's not something that can be done overnight. But they've been recording Harlan for over 10 years. That might be part of why I'm so much more disappointed in their commentary, because his lines don't really change much, and the focus on the game isn't there.

They just need to find a balance. As it stands now, the commentary just doesn't mesh with the game being played, to me at least. And honestly, I would be more than happy with new commentators that aren't in a real broadcast.

I mean, they're not using an authentic broadcast package anyway. Going back to Madden, the two that they have now are far better than any of the actual NFL broadcasters they've had in the game before.

# 168 Junior Moe @ 09/08/16 04:08 PM
Quote:
Yeah, I'm not really pushing for something completely dynamic. That's near impossible unless we one day figure out how to have computers replicate people's voices in a game.

But generic lines like:
- Curry once again having a brilliant season, heading for his 3rd MVP
- "Generated rookie" justifying the hype and having a great rookie year.
- Here's Chris Paul, not quite having the year he did previously, and perhaps age is starting to become a factor.
- The drop off for the Thunder has being quite dramatic. Since their loss of two stars in Durant and Westbrook, they've struggled in successive seasons now to have much success.
Yes! One thing im a staunch advocate of is a boat load of "generic" lines that can be filled in with a players name. Sure, it might get repetitive but at least it can be pertinent info. If I'm in ML, Id rather hear about coach x being on the hot seat. X being whoever that coach is be it real or fake. Like you said there's a treasure trove of stuff there. Just have the lines referencing it and just fill in the player, team or coach.

# 169 kolanji @ 09/08/16 04:08 PM

By far the most impressive trailer i have seen for a sports game....yes even more impressive than thr phil collins OMG trailer

# 170 aholbert32 @ 09/08/16 04:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Poopador
The best commentary I've heard in a sports game I think is this year's Madden. They have a great balance between stories/side conversations and play-by-play. And that was done in a single development cycle.

I get that it's not something that can be done overnight. But they've been recording Harlan for over 10 years. That might be part of why I'm so much more disappointed in their commentary, because his lines don't really change much, and the focus on the game isn't there.

They just need to find a balance. As it stands now, the commentary just doesn't flow with the game, to me at least.
I like Madden's commentary but I think you are overrating it a lot. I dont even think they have the tech in place to interrupt stories. I've had a number of times where Charles Davis was in the middle of a story, I scored a TD and Davis continued his story. the TD didnt get acknowledged until after his story was done.

I honestly dont think there is another sports series that comes close to NBA2k's commentary. Not Madden. Not Fifa. Not The Show.

Now other aspects of the sound....

# 171 NINJAK2 @ 09/08/16 04:11 PM
I'm sorry but I just don't think guys like Shaq, C-Webb, Smith, etc. would spend the amount of time necessary in the studio to record all kinds of super detailed updated commentary, especially once the season starts. They are super busy once that happens. Plus I doubt 2k has an endless supply of cash to spend on flying these guys out 1st class multiple times to work on commentary. If people want this kind of commentary, you may want NBA 2k to go the NFL 2k route or Madden 17 route as far as establishing a commentary team specifically for the game. The problem with this is that they may not be real NBA broadcasters and I know people here like to have the big names. The problem with people wanting high profile commentators is that game studios have to work around their schedules and not vice versa.

# 172 El_Poopador @ 09/08/16 04:19 PM
Quote:
I like Madden's commentary but I think you are overrating it a lot. I dont even think they have the tech in place to interrupt stories. I've had a number of times where Charles Davis was in the middle of a story, I scored a TD and Davis continued his story. the TD didnt get acknowledged until after his story was done.

I honestly dont think there is another sports series that comes close to NBA2k's commentary. Not Madden. Not Fifa. Not The Show.

Now other aspects of the sound....
I'm not saying it's perfect by any means, but I think it sounds more like watching a NFL broadcast than 2k does a NBA broadcast. And again, they're still in year one of Gaudin/Davis versus 10+ years of Kevin Harlan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJAK2
I'm sorry but I just don't think guys like Shaq, C-Webb, Smith, etc. would spend the amount of time necessary in the studio to record all kinds of super detailed updated commentary, especially once the season starts. They are super busy once that happens. Plus I doubt 2k has an endless supply of cash to spend on flying these guys out 1st class multiple times to work on commentary. If people want this kind of commentary, you may want NBA 2k to go the NFL 2k route or Madden 17 route as far as establishing a commentary team specifically for the game. The problem with this is that they may not be real NBA broadcasters and I know people here like to have the big names. The problem with people wanting high profile commentators is that game studios have to work around their schedules and not vice versa.
I would be perfectly happy with that, as long as it makes a difference. Just having new voices deliver the same experience isn't worth the time or money. But we're still playing on the 2k Sports Network instead of TNT, so having a generic broadcast team wouldn't be much of a downfall, if they deliver the lines well.

# 173 Junior Moe @ 09/08/16 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJAK2

Thing is, 2K doesn't have to go the Madden route. This is the first year of these guys so I'm more than content. However, moving forward, I would love to see more generic lines that could simply be filled with the name of pertinent players or coaches. It could all be recorded at one time. Just have a system in place where it recognizes that hey, LeBron (or any player) just won his 5th MVP. I'm talking More ML here.

# 174 El_Poopador @ 09/08/16 04:26 PM
Quote:
The thing about Harlan I can't understand is that he commentates 2K a lot differently. There's not a lot of that excitement and tension that you hear in real life, everything is more relaxed and the end of the games aren't near as tense.
I really thought I was the only one who noticed how different he sounds in 2k compared to a live broadcast lol.

# 175 GuwopGeezus @ 09/08/16 04:28 PM
Quote:
The thing about Harlan I can't understand is that he commentates 2K a lot differently. There's not a lot of that excitement and tension that you hear in real life, everything is more relaxed and the end of the games aren't near as tense.
Hard to replicate the energy of sitting courtside

# 176 The 24th Letter @ 09/08/16 04:33 PM
Nothing wrong with shooting for the stars like KGD is....who knows, 2k keeps raising the bar, maybe its a possibility one day...as long as we understand its quite a tall task.

As far as Madden....hard to compare football to basketball for one, because they dont talk off topic during action....so I dont know if you can say they have mastered the art of transisioning....because they dont have to. Their conversation goes on during the huddle.

What I do praise Madden for is their situational awareness...its whats been missing in football games for a looooong time..

# 177 DamnYanks2 @ 09/08/16 04:37 PM
Nobody can say 2K doesn't care. These are things I've been wanting for ever in a sports game. They've been adding to the commentary team bit by bit, and it looks like they blew it all out this year, awesome stuff. That ending lol

Sent from my HTCD200LVWPP using Tapatalk

# 178 El_Poopador @ 09/08/16 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Nothing wrong with shooting for the stars like KGD is....who knows, 2k keeps raising the bar, maybe its a possibility one day...as long as we understand its quite a tall task.

As far as Madden....hard to compare football to basketball for one, because they dont talk off topic during action....so I dont know if you can say they have mastered the art of transisioning....because they dont have to. Their conversation goes on during the huddle.

What I do praise Madden for is their situational awareness...its whats been missing in football games for a looooong time..
This is exactly why I love the commentary in this year's Madden. When they are calling the game, it sounds like they are watching it. I would love to get that feeling when playing NBA 2k. The situational awareness is exactly what I would love to see improved in 2k. I could not think of those words for the life of me before lol.

# 179 qjrchris2 @ 09/08/16 04:39 PM
https://youtu.be/0gAyNgvy7aw

Well Jordan looks the same. Fast forward to 9:20

# 180 ProfessaPackMan @ 09/08/16 04:42 PM
Situational Awareness is the one thing 2K doesn't have any issues with.

Can it be improved, along with many aspects of the game? Sure. But when it comes to awareness, that's the one thing where it hasn't struggled in that regard.

Madden has been out for years and they just now are starting to get that down pat.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.