Home
FIFA 17 News Post

The FIFA 17 demo is available now. Queue it up from the links below, or search for them on your console:Check out the full details below.

GAME OPTIONS
For the first time ever in FIFA, live your story on and off the pitch as the Premier League’s next rising star, Alex Hunter. You'll have the opportunity to play a select experience in The Journey which will be limited to playing as one of the world's top clubs Manchester United.

Kick-Off

Own Every Moment in FIFA 17 gameplay to experience complete innovation in the way players think and move, physically interact with opponents, and execute in attack to put you in complete control of every moment on the pitch.

Skill Games

As the Kick-Off matches are loading, play brand new Skill Games that are included in the FIFA 17 Demo. You'll be able to enjoy 4 Single Player Skill Games and 3 of the brand new Multiplayer Skill Games that will be available in FIFA 17.

PLAY AS WORLD CLASS CLUBS
12 clubs included that you'll be able to play as in Kick-Off.
  • Manchester United
  • Manchester City
  • Chelsea
  • Real Madrid
  • Juventus
  • Inter
  • Paris Saint-Germain
  • Olympique Lyonnais
  • Seattle Sounders
  • Bayern München
  • Tigres U.A.N.L. (MX)
  • Gamba Osaka
3 authentic stadiums available to play in Kick-Off.
  • CenturyLink
  • Stamford Bridge
  • Suita City Football Stadium

Game: FIFA 17Reader Score: Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 0 - View All
Member Comments
# 121 iaxy @ 09/14/16 06:27 AM
It's a case of mixed feelings.

For an objective review, I played FIFA 16 immediately after the demo.

VISUALS
It definitely looks and feels refined, compared to last year. Others have mentioned it too, but the light, shadows and textures look better. That said, we don't know what "time of day" the demo is set on, so difficult to compare. Night light and pitch turf does not look as nearly as good as daylight.

Player faces look better, more refined. That said, some players have not received any improvement (Higuain looks identical).

Player models look a bit better (last year they were too thin). That said, players are not easy to tell apart (especially when a longer distance view is selected). They run and move too similarly and their body shapes are too similar. As an example I was not able to tell the difference between Yaya Toure and Fernandinho, whereas this is very obvious in real life.

My biggest gripe is an issue which is still not corrected from last year. The CUP's movements (especially when on attack) are still too jittery. It's incredibly frustrating watching the CPU dance around with these jittery turns, which defy the law of physics. Momentum plays no part in ball possession somehow. This is also valid for the user, but to a lesser extent.

Also, when scoring a goal, the ball frequently bounces out of the net. What's that all about?
The pitch still looks small and the goals too. This adds to an arcade feel.

GAMEPLAY
It definitely plays better, especially when in possession of the ball. The controls are tighter, the AI is smarter and looking at the movement and positioning of players it does resemble football.

Passing feels better and shooting too.

The new driven Through pass is a nice addition, as well as the low shot.

There is a sense of unpredictability which I like. It feels less scripted, it feels loose in a good way. Lots of rebounds, ball ricocheting around make for a scrappy (but realistic) feel.

On the downside, the CPU is still too dominant when on attack.

If you play with Tactical Defending, the teammate press is still broken, meaning that the teammate does not actually press the ball carrier. but rather gets close to him (but never too close for a tackle). This makes the control unusable and I can't see many people using tactical defending.

VERDICT
To me it looks like an updated FIFA 16, let's call it FIFA 16.5. Yes, it does look prettier and it plays better, but there are still some legacy issues which make this game feel very similar (for the wrong reasons). After 10 games, I was already feeling as if I've played it for a year. It just lacks a WOW factor. Even when I score, I never find myself replaying the goals, because they just don't look feel exciting. There's several reasons for that - jittery animations, small goals, questionable physics.

COMPARISON
As for the inevitable comparison with PES, it feels miles ahead in terms of controls (PES controls are clunky to say the least). FIFA looks good with the game paused, but when the jittery running and turning starts, it just irritates me so much, that I want to stop playing the game.
PES players look better (both in terms of faces and body structures). You can tell immediately who is who. Even players of the same body structure and height, such as Giroud and Gignac look different. They also run differently. In FIFA they don't. PES feels much inferior when controlling, but there is WOW factor when you build an attack and when you score a goal. Even when you have a near miss. It just makes you jump out of the seat. PES Has a cinematic feel to it. The pass and shot speed are so much better. The swerve on the ball is probably exaggerated, but it looks amazing. I frequently find myself just passing the ball around because it just looks so nice and feels real. In FIFA it's just a bit robotic and it lacks the fluency, the cinematic, romantic (for a lack of a better word) effect.

If only, they could take the feel of PES and use the controls of FIFA....Wishful thinking.

# 122 FelaKuti @ 09/14/16 06:44 AM
Looking past all the mechanics, I find the demo pretty boring to play.

# 123 JHedges2 @ 09/14/16 06:50 AM
Lot of criticism in here. To be expected I suppose.

I must that there's a lot of potential with this. I think the game looks great, and with Matt & Co ready to attack sliders, we'll have ourselves a good game. You have to keep in mind the games are 4 min halves. Not only will the CPU play differently on longer games, but so will we. Keep that in mind.

The Journey looks really cool to me. Does it likely need "more"? Yes. But it's their first go at this, and the trailer for it looks really cool.

I can't wait for the final product. As was stated above, yeah I wish it was more SIM, but once you discover Football Manager, nothing else stands a chance as a SIM comparison.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

# 124 burton378 @ 09/14/16 06:56 AM
I have a hard time getting excited about it. If fifa 16 is anything to go by they will patch the hell out of this game to cater to the ultimate team crowd.

# 125 nunogomes @ 09/14/16 07:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt10
So far, mixed feelings. I felt quite bored after playing. Will play a couple more and see how it goes.
Even with the incredible graphics, sounds, and immersion the game provides (wich is awesome) i can´t enjoy the CPU offense, and to me, as an offline gamer, this is critical. Bored is the keyword, you described the feelings on this game perfectly.

What amazes me is how immersed i feel playing this game from a visual and sound point of view, but it isn´t enough to grip me because of the AI offense that BL8001 so well describes here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BL8001
How are people getting the ai to be competitive?

Wherever they go with the ball on the pitch if I go there just before they always turn around and go backwards.

It's so blatantly robotic. It's like no matter who the AI has on the ball they only can do A or B computations and when you close down either they do the other.

There is no randomness to it at all. The ai is so uber cautious.

If you just play zone the cpu loses it's mind even on legendary. Getting way too many AI has 0 shots but has 93% passing matches.

I have played every fifa game made and I have never seen the AI be this pathetic.
Exactly my thoughts on CPU offense, you just stand in front of them and they don´t know what to do! They don´t risk passes, they don´t shoot the ball, they are robots trying to find another robot to receive the ball...

# 126 Hugobcs @ 09/14/16 07:46 AM
Just Ridiculous as in a Penalti Kick can´t shoot at the top of the post with ashoot placed with the inside of the foot, as during the game, when we use the shoot modifier.... In the other versions of fifa we could do this.... now kick penalty on top , only with a strong shoot, we should be given a possibilite to shoot a penalti on top with class, with the inside part of food....

Just weird..... it would be nice to make a penalti like this, Piqué just with class, in minute 1:50... https://youtu.be/Q0DrzDs_7Gs?t=1m50s

# 127 Hugobcs @ 09/14/16 07:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugobcs
Just Ridiculous as in a Penalti Kick can´t shoot at the top of the post with ashoot placed with the inside of the foot, as during the game, when we use the shoot modifier.... In the other versions of fifa we could do this.... now kick penalty on top , only with a strong shoot, we should be given a possibilite to shoot a penalti on top with class, with the inside part of food....

Just weird..... it would be nice to make a penalti like this, Piqué just with class, in minute 1:50... https://youtu.be/Q0DrzDs_7Gs?t=1m50s
Or just like Ivanovic in 3:35 - https://youtu.be/Vg0CiGexIAw?t=3m35s

# 128 WhiteBunny @ 09/14/16 08:00 AM
The game is not powered with Frostbite. You see something here and there ( basically illumination and cutscene), but it's the same 2008 old engine.
L2 is literally a jedi force shield, it was much better in Fifa 2016. Shots and passing ( on manual setting ) are too quick and without proper balance in terms of weight and momentum. Online will be a festival of zig-zag-l2-zig-zag-l2.

# 129 fearwhatnow @ 09/14/16 08:13 AM
This demo is a disgrace to football videogaming. This plays exactly as the stone ages of EA Fifa 2000-2006.
- The AI is laughable. Playing on Legendary and they just run circles without creating chances. Dribbling, dribbling, going back and forth without a reason. It feels like Pacman The Fifa Edition.
- Cpu AI rarely crosses the ball into the box.
- I haven't seen after 10 games even one long ball by the cpu.
- Penalty system is a complete joke. Cpu AI can't even score from the penalty spot. It's like watching 2yrs old children trying to hit the ball.
- I'm not even impressed by the graphics. Playing on Ultra setting and I find it too cartoony. Yes lighting is improved and some textures (face textures) but the rest is meh.
A positive thing is that cpu D seems more tight. I can't even find a word suitable to describe the cpu attack and build up though...
I really don't know what they were thinking at EA. If this demo is also the final product it's going to be the most epic fail in sports videogaming. Like NBA Live.
I loved last season's game as most of you know. Really really disappointed by this demo. It's shockingly bad.

# 130 xsist @ 09/14/16 08:32 AM
why cant i adjust the camera height/zoom level even when set to custom? im on pc demo

# 131 papinho81 @ 09/14/16 08:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHedges2
As was stated above, yeah I wish it was more SIM, but once you discover Football Manager, nothing else stands a chance as a SIM comparison.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Football manager is a manager game while PES/fifa are pitch games (where you can also take on the role of a manager). FM is a simulation in the cense you actually "simulate" your games while PES/fifa try to emulate a game of football. This are two very different things expect if you decide to simulate (not play) all your games with PES/fifa.
I don't like being the kind of guy that rap the knuckles (not particularly pointing out you JHedges), but I am a bit annoyed when people put fifa/pes and FM on the same level when speaking about simulations.

Otherwise it could be that I do not understand properly what means "SIM" and I am sorry.
If it is the case, I agree it would be great to have all that environment in a career mode, but it would take for ever to complete a single season.

# 132 Simaofan-20 @ 09/14/16 08:38 AM
Anyone else experiencing not getting a lot of fouls? Even playing against my brother there weren't any fouls called really. I really hope this gets fixed because thats a deal breaker

# 133 DBMcGee3 @ 09/14/16 08:43 AM
I played a couple of games last night and couldn't get back to PES quickly enough.

Playing against the CPU is awful in my opinion. They don't pass the ball realistically, there's zero variation in playing styles between players or teams, the headers seem to still be OP'd and unrealistic, especially with the inclusion of that god awful corner kick mechanic, where you can just serve it up on a platter every time. Seems like the speedy players are OP'd as well, far too many 1v1s against the keeper, which you just don't see that often IRL.

The graphics are good mostly, but I still find that the movement of the players is jarringly unrealistic, as is the pace of the ball.

I just wasn't having fun, it's that simple. I've been late to work 3 times in the past 3 weeks trying to squeeze in an extra game of PES, but I couldn't make it through 3 matches of FIFA. No brainer for me, just couldn't get into this demo at all, despite liking FIFA 16 quite a bit. PES raised the bar.

# 134 fearwhatnow @ 09/14/16 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simaofan-20
Anyone else experiencing not getting a lot of fouls? Even playing against my brother there weren't any fouls called really. I really hope this gets fixed because thats a deal breaker
I had plenty of fouls. As I posted above cpu D is more tight and they also slide tackle more.

# 135 dtlm6 @ 09/14/16 08:56 AM
I bought PES 17 and downloaded FIFA 17 demo. I was very impressed with FIFA demo. Was not planning on buying it but, unless I can get edited teams up an running soon on PES, may consider it.

# 136 bredfan @ 09/14/16 08:58 AM
I really hope that one day we get a sports game that makes playing defense at least somewhat engaging instead of mind numbingly boring.

Fifa is extra frustrating because it doesn't really feel like it's the tools they give you that are the problem, but the fact that you can only play as good a defense as the CPU lets you.

My biggest gripe however, is how predictable the game has become. One example would be how you can gauge how threatening a CPU attack will be from how they dispossess you. Like, if your player does something inexplicably random and goofy to give the ball up, you know 100% that the CPU is either going to score, or hold the ball until they miss. That drives me nuts to no end.

In the end I feel like all they really did that's new, aside from the graphics, was add Fifa 15's controls back in. Bummer.

# 137 iaxy @ 09/14/16 08:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsist
why cant i adjust the camera height/zoom level even when set to custom? im on pc demo
I noticed this too

# 138 TeleTex82 @ 09/14/16 09:05 AM
Not sure what people were expecting. Even with Frostbite, which if we are honest was just implemented in the lighting and sound departments, you still have the same group of devs programming the game. The AI is the same hot stinkijg mess as the last few years, no variety in CPU attack, no individuality, no creativity. If you wanted to see how the shielding would be implemented you only had to see the CPU taking the ball to the corner flag in the last few minutes in FIFA 16, Jesus Tap Dancing Christ himself couldnt get the ball back, the OP through balls. Of the games I have played and watched i have seen a ludicrously high percentage of goals and opportunities come from the through ball, its just the same crappy game in a new wrapper. Players still move like a mixture of a person with severe parkinsons and Leonardo Di Caprio during the Qualuude scene in Wolf of Wall Street. EA knows that the game will sell because the FUT gimmick. Which says everything, when your target audience get more excited by pack openings than what the game actually plays like, why would you waste time and resources on something most people buying your game wont be bothered to notice? I have onwed every single FIfa, ever, but that ends with 17. Perhaps if i was a 12 year old with stunted hormones and severe ADHD, who knew nothing of what real football is supposed to be like I might feel different.

# 139 Simaofan-20 @ 09/14/16 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearwhatnow
I had plenty of fouls. As I posted above cpu D is more tight and they also slide tackle more.
I've experienced just the opposite. Strange

# 140 BL8001 @ 09/14/16 09:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHedges2
You have to keep in mind the games are 4 min halves. Not only will the CPU play differently on longer games, but so will we. Keep that in mind.
My concern with this is that if the shorter demo halves are condensed match action, should we not be seeing MORE AI activity in the demo?

And if we make the halves longer it chills out the cpu. Which is the opposite of what needs to happen with the gameplay.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.