Home
NBA 2K17 News Post

Just hours away from NBA 2K17’s early launch, any details 2K releases about its newest game are met with a lot of excitement. Such is the case with last week’s blog on the improvements made to the MyGM/MyLeague modes this year. When you compare what was added to 2K16 vs. 2K17, it’s quite obvious that the folks over at 2K spent a significant portion of their time on the franchise modes.

Given that I spend the majority of my 2K time with these modes, I am ecstatic about all of the improvements that were announced. But I wouldn’t be a video game fan if I wasn’t also disappointed in a few omissions as well. Let’s take a closer look into what was announced and why we should be, first and foremost, excited.

Read More - NBA 2K17 MyLEAGUE/MyGM: What's Hot and What's Not

Game: NBA 2K17Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 14 - View All
Member Comments
# 1 Retropyro @ 09/15/16 03:27 PM
Am I to understand that you can start MyGM with an expansion team?

# 2 trekfan @ 09/15/16 03:29 PM
Quote:
We want to hear from you. Let us know in the comments below: What new features you are most excited to try in MyLeague/MyGM, and what key features you feel are still missing?
Things excited to try:

1. Expansion -- huge for the Sonics fans among us (Go Sonics!) and a fantastic way to really customize the league to your tastes.
2. Relocation of all 30 NBA teams -- is now possible and that, combined with expansion, gives an INSANE amount of freedom for guys who want to run historical franchises or college hoops or alternate histories.
3. Team Designs Downloads -- makes filling out your league or switching your team scheme much less time consuming than last year.
4. Offseason trading -- finally no longer having to rig the NBA (with 30 team control) till training camps for the majority of free agent signings and trades. It's going to make a huge difference for me, personally, as I take 2-3 days to plot out all the moves for teams and being able to do it now all during the offseason will help complete the process much faster.
5. Pick Protections/Swaps -- I used to keep track of this in a really long document file for every season (rolling some forward for those that failed to convey). It's a big relief to have the game cover a lot of the common protection/swap scenarios.

Thing still missing:

1. Alternate Uniforms -- expanded/rebranded teams can still only do two uniforms (home/away) and that's a major bummer considering how many alternate uniforms NBA teams have in this day and age. The alternate uniform allows for some crazy ideas and the lack of one for expanded teams especially seems to suck some of the realism out of their existence.
2. Coach Editing (within MyLeague) -- we can edit coaches attributes and such, but I want to be able to edit their names/faces. I know it's a small thing, but having a generic 2K coach take over an NBA team sucks. If you could just let me change the name, I'd settle for that, but I imagine there might be some rights/legal issues involved here.
3. Custom Sounds -- this is missing from the game and I've never understood why. Present in the greatest 2K of them all to this point (2K11), custom sounds went the way of the dodo bird when we jumped to next-gen and the lack of an ability to customize your team's arena with your own sounds -- especially in light of the expansion team feature now -- is confusing, if not just baffling. This feature needs to make a return ASAP.
4. Team Exports -- this is an oldie, but a goodie; I remember exporting my Association teams and pitting them against classic teams to see how I really stacked up against the greatest. With how insanely complicated the MyLeague/MyGM modes have gotten now, I doubt I'll see this again, but it was a fun feature that really allowed for some unique games.

Overall, excited for the game, ready for the weekend and 2K17.

# 3 PPerfect_CJ @ 09/15/16 03:38 PM
You can't edit coaches' names and stuff? If that's true, they really should have made that a little more clear. I sure thought you could going off of THIS.

Staff Editing in the Roster Creator

Staff editing is now available outside of MyGM/MyLEAGUE in the Roster Creator. This allows for shared rosters to now include edited/custom staff as part of the roster itself.

# 4 trekfan @ 09/15/16 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPerfect_CJ
You can't edit coaches' names and stuff? If that's true, they really should have made that a little more clear. I sure thought you could going off of THIS.

Staff Editing in the Roster Creator

Staff editing is now available outside of MyGM/MyLEAGUE in the Roster Creator. This allows for shared rosters to now include edited/custom staff as part of the roster itself.
Was reading in another thread here, someone with an early copy was going through and relaying the observations they saw within MyLeague, I believe that was one of them -- outside of MyLeague I don't know. I'll edit my post to clarify that.

EDIT: Edit made. If it turns out I'm wrong, I'll just delete that entire point and move it to the "Things Excited to Try" header.

# 5 MoodMuzik @ 09/15/16 03:57 PM
I'm so stoked for MyLeague this year. I just really hope MYGM is as "like" MyLeague is because then I'll be completely set.

# 6 Rip4ever @ 09/15/16 03:59 PM
Starting MyGM with an expansion team sounds cool.

Advanced rotation is YUGE!

# 7 rakitic4 @ 09/15/16 04:05 PM
So just to be clear, we can now download draft classes at any point of the season? Meaning I can start a myleague tonight and upload a draft class two months from now when they are ready?

# 8 LorenzoDC @ 09/15/16 04:11 PM
I read the article and felt confused at the end. The title made me think there would be some mention of things left out of the game that the author would have liked included.

I like all the things the article mentions. As for what's left out, for me, these are the biggest items:

Revamped Market Based Free Agent AI:

Right now, on the player side, asking prices are calculated through a formula based on a combination of player age, player overall rating and player potential, with modifiers based on player preferences (play for winner, financial security, loyalty). They take no account of the actual free agent market at their respective positions. This leads to situations where some players sign for too little and other players hold out for too much and don't get signed at all. It also means that many unproven rookies and even veterans won't sign for league minimum, even if the choice is not playing at all. A new AI system that creates market based awareness during a given free agent year for free agent players would give the mode a lot more life, variation and realistic league simulation.

Updated and Expanded Create a Player (CAP) Tools

CAP has remained untouched for many years now, and compared to other sports games or even user character model creating RPG's like Mass Effect, it's very dated and limited. The lack of quality and variety in body types, faces and hair have all been well documented and thoroughly discussed here at OS. For MyGM/MyLeague, improved CAP makes the mode far more engaging and interesting for multi-year game files. The mode supports 80 years in the league, but if you get 10 years in, players begin to look alike and look, well, barely human in a lot of instances. Lack of quality player feature editing tools make it hard to use the mode to make unique looking players who seem individual and interesting. Improved CAP would give roster makers and editors far more tools to create and share interesting and unique players, vastly enhancing engagement in the mode.

Focus on Generated Draft Class Quality

This is an area the development team devotes some resources to each cycle, but it's not a high priority area of focus. Right now, CPU generated draft classes do an incomplete and haphazard job of creating individual players with coherent, believable combinations of attributes, tendencies, signature animations, hot zones and badges for their positional archetypes. As a result, in an extreme example, you may draft high potential, low defending perimeter shooting SG with high outside shooting attributes whose perimeter zones are all blue, who has a low tendencies for touches or even taking shots, a tendency to roll more than fade, and whose shooting form is a high school or old school set shot type of animation. Oh, and he has tear dropper and pick pocket badges, but no perimeter shooting related badges. That's an extreme illustration, not an actual generated player, but it makes the point. The modes would improve if 2k could really focus on and test these model algorithms to improve their consistency and quality.

# 9 sportskid84 @ 09/15/16 04:13 PM
Can't wait for tomorrow when i get off work,I'm about to start a GM with my pistons and one with the sixers

# 10 jinntu @ 09/15/16 06:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trekfan
Thing still missing:
1. Alternate Uniforms -- expanded/rebranded teams can still only do two uniforms (home/away) and that's a major bummer considering how many alternate uniforms NBA teams have in this day and age. The alternate uniform allows for some crazy ideas and the lack of one for expanded teams especially seems to suck some of the realism out of their existence.
I honestly think the alternate jerseys have to do with space. That was the limitation on expansions on the consoles last year (PC didn't have the limitation) and I think it's still the issue. It's not an issue for PC users but their primary user base is the console crowd and space/power has been the reason a lot of things get diminished or cut.

# 11 Greene_Flash03 @ 09/15/16 06:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip4ever
Starting MyGM with an expansion team sounds cool.

Advanced rotation is YUGE!
YUP, doing this on day 1!

# 12 CaseIH @ 09/15/16 07:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS
Just hours away from NBA 2K17’s early launch, any details 2K releases about its newest game are met with a lot of excitement. Such is the case with last week’s blog on the improvements made to the MyGM/MyLeague modes this year. When you compare what was added to 2K16 vs. 2K17, it’s quite obvious that the folks over at 2K spent a significant portion of their time on the franchise modes.

Given that I spend the majority of my 2K time with these modes, I am ecstatic about all of the improvements that were announced. But I wouldn’t be a video game fan if I wasn’t also disappointed in a few omissions as well. Let’s take a closer look into what was announced and why we should be, first and foremost, excited.

Read More - NBA 2K17 MyLEAGUE/MyGM: What's Hot and What's Not

Definitely a lot to be excited for, but the big omission looks like they once again have paid no attention to sim stats, which for anyone who is a MyLeague/GM player or for that matter even you MyPlayer career the stats wont be accurate for this simmed games of the teams you dont play. Antydog has been testing and with them doing away with POE for coaches its really messing with the sim stats bad this yr.

IM must have read the blog wrong, as I thought contraction was actually available too. Maybe next yr, but this expansion probably wont be something I get that much into, unless I get deep into my Association and decide to go a more fantasy rout, but I alwasy follow the real life stuff that 1st season, and with sim stats being such a mess I havent gotten deep into a Association in years, and looks like once again I probably wont unless I loose my OCD about sim stats, which I highly doubt that happens.

# 13 JwP23 @ 09/15/16 07:31 PM
Too bad we can't use the Dream Team

# 14 Gosens6 @ 09/15/16 07:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakitic4
So just to be clear, we can now download draft classes at any point of the season? Meaning I can start a myleague tonight and upload a draft class two months from now when they are ready?
That is correct. You can also edit the class at any time during the season as well

# 15 Badasi12b @ 09/15/16 08:47 PM
Geez KDs body looks terrible in that screenshot lol!

# 16 raidertiger @ 09/15/16 09:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badasi12b
Geez KDs body looks terrible in that screenshot lol!
The jerseys are much more of an atrocity.

But after getting the game, it seems they are missing the throwbacks, and that jersey is a Classic Home Jersey rather than the alternate jersey. Which means hopefully if they add the real uniforms they look 1000x better.

# 17 mahoney52us @ 09/15/16 09:10 PM
What I really want to know is if you can change teams without running a multiple team setup and also if the coach mode bug is still there where you could start a game in simcast and then save it, reload, and be able to enter coach mode.

# 18 wiscowilz @ 09/15/16 09:15 PM
Can anyone tell me if you can expand anywhere with a team you upload or are their certain cities we can expand to?

Also is there a definitive list of relocation cities yet?

# 19 Whomario @ 09/15/16 09:19 PM
Cities seem to be the same as last year pretty much.

Most on-court rule changes are pretty inconsequential in terms of the cpu adjusting to it, because they don´t. (neither would i expect them to. This is a videogame, not a supercomputer). Neither do sim stats. Approved the league getting rid of the shot clock just for kicks and it did not do anything to simmed stats and in games the other team still seems to have an "internal clock" going.

Other rule changes seem pretty cool, like college style FT rules (1+1 after 5 fouls), change of the number of fouls to reach the "bonus", most of the changes to the lottery the game proposes, like even odds for the 4 worst teams. Also more or less All Stars per conference.

And yes, you can save an reload after the Playoffs to trigger different changes in myleague.

# 20 wiscowilz @ 09/15/16 09:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whomario
Cities seem to be the same as last year pretty much.
Is that for relocation or both do you think? I am still wondering how expansion is going to work completely.

Also, anyone know if the number of divisions can be changed? I really want to only expand by 2 to start and relocate some teams and go to Eight 4-team divisions

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.