Home
EA Sports UFC 2 News Post

Geoff Harrower, A.K.A. GameplayDevUFC, has been posting quite a few details on the upcoming EA Sports UFC 2 patch on his Twitter page. While no date for the patch has been revealed, he has posted quite a few nuggets. Check out some of them below and let us know what you think!
  • Fixed bug where cancelling the SUB transition from postured up half guard to guard would interrupt all DOM strikes
  • Gave DOM the ability to break out of a single leg attempt after reversing into that position from SUB side control
  • Added increased damage to any round strike that connects with an opponent who lunges sideways into it
  • Added Anthony Pettis and Renan Barão to Featherweight
(UPDATE: 9-27) The patch is available now for Xbox One and PlayStation 4, below are the patch notes.

Updates
  • Added three new fighters; Nikita Krylov in Light Heavyweight; Jimmie Rivera in Bantamweight; Jake Matthews in Lightweight
  • Added Anthony Pettis and Renan Barão to Featherweight
  • Updated moves for various fighters
  • Ultimate Team players now earn a reward pack for their first win of the day in Ultimate Championships
Gameplay
  • Added increased damage to any round strike that connects with an opponent who lunges sideways into it
  • Added the ability for the DOM fighter to break out of a single leg attempt after reversing into that position from SUB side control
  • Fixed the Stamina setting in Practice Mode
  • Fixed bug where cancelling the SUB transition from postured up half guard to guard would interrupt all DOM strikes

Game: EA Sports UFC 2Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 17 - View All
EA Sports UFC 2 Videos
Member Comments
# 141 GameplayDevUFC @ 09/28/16 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supreme_Bananas
At first I thought the lunge nerf wasn't that bad. After all, stepping right into a strike should do more damage. BUT, since they haven't touched the stupid combo multiplier, the even stupider jab straight to the body nor have they upped sway counter damage OR increased the permanent stamina drain on throwing hundreds of 1-2s, I think just nerfing defense like this is a very bad thing

Martialmind says the exact same thing in his video, you're forced to go toe to toe with characters if they have better stats than you, you can't reliable damage them, and now you can't even evade them very well anymore

I'll let Kenetic argue the other side.

All I'll say, is everything you mentioned is true, but it's a spider web of balance issues we were never going to nail 100% through patches because the infrastructure to do so wasn't deep enough.

Like pulling the thread on a sweater, eventually you end up touching everything.

So left with the choice of addressing issues knowing they would raise other (hopefully lesser) issues, and doing nothing at all, we decided to address issues as they came up.

# 142 GameplayDevUFC @ 09/28/16 04:38 PM
Oh, and I haven't watched the video, but we ran this change by the game changes (including MTS) and got their feedback prior to making the change.

It was generally seen as a positive change, although there were a few requests made in addition to this change.

I wasn't allowed to implement those additional requests, but decided to go forward with this one because the evidence of its exploitability was high enough to warrant it, and this change was deemed low enough risk to be allowed.

We'll see how it plays out.

# 143 SMOKEZERO @ 09/28/16 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GameplayDevUFC
I believe the UFC has a pretty big say in the choice.

Also, the choice is made well in advance of the patch, so there's some element of trying to predict the future involved, which doesn't always pan out.
Yeah I know, was just a vent of overall frustration really. There are things like the reebok color kits that we would have loved to have but I understand it's hard to compare your dev team with the Madden/NBA 2K teams. UFC is on it's way to becoming a bigger sport and I hope the funding and resources available for the dev team gets a major bump for the next UFC title.

Nice job on the move set updates as well, enjoyed seeing Cain Velasquez throw the wheel kick when I attempted it on a whim. Can hotfixes be used to update movesets going forward? Nate Diaz still needs a couple. The Stockton slap shouldn't be tied into the taunt. Please add the Stockton Slap to LB+lead punch, no directional input. I want to use the move after a back sway counter. Nate also needs a lvl 1 flying Kimura that Sakuraba has. Look up his fight with Guida.

Last, how much longer will UT and Live Events be supported? Thanks!

# 144 Kenetic NRG @ 09/28/16 06:07 PM
Quote:
I'll let Kenetic argue the other side.

All I'll say, is everything you mentioned is true, but it's a spider web of balance issues we were never going to nail 100% through patches because the infrastructure to do so wasn't deep enough.

Like pulling the thread on a sweater, eventually you end up touching everything.

So left with the choice of addressing issues knowing they would raise other (hopefully lesser) issues, and doing nothing at all, we decided to address issues as they came up.

I wish I could post a few clips from Relaxedguy's twitch to show how blatantly rediculous side steps were.

I LOVE the change, I haven't played the game a ton lately but hopped on last night and ran a few fights with Iron Shariff on PS4 to see how it was. AMAZING. If you time the body kick to the correct side you get a hit stun and significant damage. Here's why it was needed -

People who literally did not want to engage in the striking (Relaxed, Advanced, Neil come to mind) would literally spam side steps in order to avoid every strike thrown. They would immediately clinch you if you tried to throw a strike or shoot a take down. There was no counter to this other than battling it out in a clinch war.

I understand there are people who use side steps in a non cheesy way such as getting off the cage and using movement to set up combos but with how the game is set up the only way to balance it properly would be completely overhauling the mechanics which just isn't realistic at this point.

Another thing - side steps are still good, you just need to think more. If your opponent has someone with spinning back kicks (Barao for instance) you are FREE to side step (spins & knees will not hit you mid side step). If your opponent has someone with ONE spin kick, you are also free to side step in that direction.

If you successfully side step and they threw a body kick to the wrong direction, you have GA and can shoot a takedown or counter with a straight.

I'll give an example from last night that was amazing - I was pressuring Shariff and backing him up, he was taking a lot of damage and I knew as soon as he got close to the cage he would step. He stepped and I threw a body kick to the correct side. He was hit stunned but NOT in range for me to link the kick to a combo, however I could use the kick to cage cut him to deliver more shots. If this doesn't seem realistic idk what does.

Amazing change. I understand most of the people complaining used them realistically but don't blame the devs, blame the players for abusing them to all hell. I'm sure in the next game there will be a much more balanced and rewarding system for people who like to use movement, but for now this is the best we can get.

# 145 Dave_S @ 09/28/16 06:13 PM
Kinda upset the TUF winner of this season wasn't in patch, we could use another flyweight.

Everything else seems great

# 146 SUGATA @ 09/28/16 06:56 PM
Martial mind is right when he is talking that 1.10 nerfed side steps and so decrease our defensive options;
And he is wrong that stepping toward the strike must not to get damage mp.
So what is wrong now:
1) 2 types of DEFENSIVE side steps .
> Fix: made ONE Defensive side step, with range between short and long lunge.
2) Even linear and halfcircular strikes are tracking and hit us during side step because the timing for successful side step is very unclear, unstable and often unusable.
> Fix: Side step performed in right time for this strike grants me invulnerability during it regardless of strike animation (I.e. Will be successful always IF IN RIGHT DURECTION away from the strike).
3) Not needed 2 defensive side steps
> Fix: made 2nd type of side steps (L1) OFFENSIVE SIDE STEP, which has wider range but less evasive properties. Use it for flanking the opponent - more details in me New striking mechanics thread.

# 147 Kenetic NRG @ 09/28/16 09:33 PM
Don't worry guys I promise you, you can still point fight and play sim. It just requires a bit more thought process now

# 148 Donnie_Brasco_FR @ 09/29/16 06:30 AM
I totally agree with kenetic and disagree with martial mind.
The damage bonus is what we needed to counter sidestep, but is the hook with the good timing into the good sidestep connect now or the hook is dodged(buged)?
sad we have nothing to counter the back slide.

# 149 Generative James @ 09/29/16 07:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haz____
He also has Crucifix!

I had a Krylov caf actually, but this is just awesome. Very very well done fighter. Krylov is a beast in this game!

Thanks again Devs!! Best post-launch Dev support i've ever seen in my life.
His wrestling moves are all pretty good. And he has that L1 L2 jumping roundhouse kick to the body on both legs. Total beast!

It's just a good thing the Von Flue Choke isn't in the game.

# 150 Boiler569 @ 09/29/16 09:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie_Brasco_FR
The damage bonus is what we needed to counter sidestep, but is the hook with the good timing into the good sidestep connect now or the hook is dodged(buged)?
this is what really needs some help in UFC 3.

Many shots that SHOULD hit FLUSH don't register / bugged

Some shots that should NEVER have touched the person, end up rocking them....

Physics System / Hit Detection need to really be looked at in UFC 3.

I do like this change; what Kinetic just posted is mostly how I look at it, though as GPD *ALSO* said --- the infrastructure of this game isn't deep enough to really fine-tune. This change isn't ideal but overall, is a positive in my opinion.

You now have to time up your side steps and not just spam them = tactics = good.

But hopefully UFC 3 will have the infrastructure to make the physics system much deeper

# 151 Kenetic NRG @ 09/29/16 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie_Brasco_FR
Not sure honestly. I know zhunter said that he landed an overhand into someone's step but I had no luck with it. My guess is the hooks work if they do the 'mini' side step but the LB/L1 'large' side step still dodges the hooks. Fine by me honestly cause you can go high/low with the kicks to do amplified damage off the step.

# 152 TreJayMMA @ 09/29/16 02:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ_Manuel
He looks like a child tho lol.
..what does that have to do with his skill

# 153 TheRizzzle @ 09/29/16 03:44 PM
Quote:
I believe the UFC has a pretty big say in the choice.

Also, the choice is made well in advance of the patch, so there's some element of trying to predict the future involved, which doesn't always pan out.
Not that you guys can name names probably, but when you say UFC, is there a specific group or persons dedicated to this?

Like Joe Silva or Sean Shelby or somebody in the marketing department? Seems like with everything going on that the UFC deciding who gets in the game, while it makes sense, it also sometimes seems small for somebody Joe Silva, Sean Shelby or Dana White to be taking that kind of time.

I'd also imagine that while rankings are important, getting fighters from certain countries is important also.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

# 154 GameplayDevUFC @ 09/29/16 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRizzzle
Not that you guys can name names probably, but when you say UFC, is there a specific group or persons dedicated to this?

Like Joe Silva or Sean Shelby or somebody in the marketing department? Seems like with everything going on that the UFC deciding who gets in the game, while it makes sense, it also sometimes seems small for somebody Joe Silva, Sean Shelby or Dana White to be taking that kind of time.

I'd also imagine that while rankings are important, getting fighters from certain countries is important also.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
I have no idea who the actual person is, but I'd guess a marketing person.

I think country representation matters, but I'm guessing the UFC has plans on who they want to market or give a push to, and that may play into it as well.

Of course win/losses and performances can throw a wrench into those plans.

That's all just my speculation though, I don't have any first hand knowledge on how it works on their end.

# 155 Bigg Cee @ 09/29/16 05:01 PM
GPD did you ever find out if any AI changes or the Holloway stand and bang taunt made it in?

# 156 GameplayDevUFC @ 09/29/16 05:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg Cee
GPD did you ever find out if any AI changes or the Holloway stand and bang taunt made it in?
Looks like nothing much made it in on the AI side.

# 157 Bigg Cee @ 09/29/16 05:25 PM
Quote:
Looks like nothing much made it in on the AI side.
ok then. That's all I wanted to know.

# 158 aholbert32 @ 09/29/16 08:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyboi207
Any chance of anymore fighter updates?

Im very disappointed that Anthony Johnson still doesnt have level 5 game changer

He's by far the most dangerous in MMA in terms of one punch KO power
Doesnt he have Gamechanger Level 4? The difference between Level 4 and 5 is only 2 percent so its not a big difference.

# 159 The Senator @ 09/29/16 08:13 PM
I had a fight using RDA against Joe Duffy to test his new overhand. Fight starts, and I land literally one single overhand left, first strike either fighter threw in the fight, and get a flash knockdown. I jump down, and a few hammerfists after, won the fight without giving Duffy a chance to do anything.

I'm loving these upgrades.

# 160 Haz____ @ 09/29/16 09:11 PM
Shogun got hands now.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.