Home
NBA 2K17 News Post

Last year, you “Lived the Dream.” This year you experienced your “Prelude” to greatness. Both of these modes in Visual Concepts’ NBA 2K franchise were supposed to acclimate and immerse you into the game’s premier mode, MyCareer. Both years had you assume a player whose visage and role you could create, but whose persona was already determined via the story mode crafted by Visual Concepts. I’m not here to talk about the merits of last year’s “movie of the week” presentation (personally, I liked it) or this year’s evolved version that grants you much more control over your player during your rookie NBA season.

I’m here to talk about something else. Just like last year, your guy. You. The President of basketball, aka Pres, flat out SUCKS!

Read More - MyCAREER Has a Realism Problem

Game: NBA 2K17Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 14 - View All
Member Comments
# 1 trey2k198003 @ 10/03/16 11:53 AM
I have not spent a fine I wasted drafted 7th and I'm avereging 12.7 points and 9ast a game and I'm only a 68 and yes I have all those deals most of those deals come from potential not when you become the guy Lebrun got ALOT of deals out of highschool so did kudos out of college you get those when someone sees greatness in you . Anyway I don't think it's a vcmoney grab if you want to grind it out I think vc is there for the guys who don't WANT to grind and want the easy way to stardom anyway sounded like you needed to get your stick skills up not so much 2ks failt imo

# 2 AirJordanFan93 @ 10/03/16 11:54 AM
The biggest issue I have always had with MyCareer more so since the jump to the current consoles is how poorly rated you are despite supposedly being a higher touted prospect. If we are meant to be this highly touted prospect why constantly give us such poor overall ratings to begin the game it just doesn't fit the story they are trying to tell. Im not expecting us to come into the NBA and be at the level Lebron was when he made his debut as a rookie but a 59 overall for someone who is meant to be a highly touted player is a joke.

# 3 Whomario @ 10/03/16 11:59 AM
My Career has a cutscene problem. Stop trying to act like you want to produce "The Last of us 2" rather than a basketball game.

Also stop forcing people into "themes" and design a system for offline-users to actually play it as a career mode rather than a means to enter online-modes, that way i as an offline user would not be handicapped by restrictions put in place to "protect" other online users.
I have no desire to use my player online, all i want is start as a decently rated player and choose my own parameters of playing the game (heck, i would even enjoy being able to limit my potential to improve).

# 4 Ghostly15 @ 10/03/16 12:01 PM
They put alot into the story which don't make any sense and no one can relate to it. I don't understand why the forced story Everytime.

# 5 da ThRONe @ 10/03/16 12:04 PM
If realism was the goal there would be no VC to speak of. You'd improve through drills and in game play.

# 6 Shadojoker @ 10/03/16 12:11 PM
I agree with the gripe..you almost HAVE to spend $20+ in VC in order to get your player to be at a decent level. If they went with 2 years ago and you went undrafted.. 65-68 rating makes sense. But lottery we should at least be 70s. But then again..people are spending the money so why should they stop!?

# 7 cheez7 @ 10/03/16 12:24 PM
How about one week, you're getting cutscenes about you and Justice being the faces of the franchise and the next week there's talk about him or both of you being traded? Really? Two rookies being billed as the cornerstones of the franchise tied into DIRT CHEAP FOUR-YEAR ROOKIE DEALS involved in trade talk... not to mention I had the Jazz with the best record in the NBA at that point in time (ahead of the Warriors).

And I get the text thing is supposed to be playful, but when the rest of the game is built around realism, it seems really silly.

Why is John Wall getting pissed at me for not wanting to skip a mandatory team practice to go bowling with him? Why am I taking a private jet with the owner somewhere the night before a home game? Why is a team executive, Larry Bird, asking a player who's not on his team to hang out? Last time I checked, that's costing the Pacers a draft pick or two. And why am I hanging out with 1980's Larry Bird?

Why do I go back to my court after games/practices on a road trip? Why are you at your team's practice facility on the road? Why am I making local sponsorship appearances while I'm on the road?

Why does the reporter just stroll into an off-day practice like he owns the place?

Why are my teammates asking me to play 3 on 3 the morning of a game?

None of this happens in the NBA... it's been a couple weeks since I played the mode cause I've moved onto franchise now we have preseason rosters, so I forget some of the other silliness in regards to realism.

2K should form a partnership with Telltale and just come up with a different experience for MyPlayer... one where your choices really have an impact on the storyline and everything isn't scripted/out of place.

And like first post mentioned... PLEASE let us skip cutscenes... I hit a couple bugs where I had to watch the same cutscene three times before I figured out a workaround.

That and not having to press "A" (or "X" on PS4 haha) 50 times during a game to keep advancing through timeouts, free throws, end of quarters/halves would be awesome too... Madden '17 killed it in this department... you hold "A" down and immediately bypass whatever is keeping you from playing the game.

That being said, they do an awesome job with the features in franchise mode... I know a lot of folks will nitpick that the way I did to myplayer hahaha (I hate moving a team and seeing them wear their old warmups), but we've come a looooong way in that department since the original stat tracking seasons of Baseball Stars and Super Tecmo Bowl! :-)

# 8 victorkingchamp @ 10/03/16 12:50 PM
The biggest immersion breaker for me is the way money is handled in the mode. Clothing items/shoes shouldn't cost VC! It takes a lot of the fun out of the mode for sneaker and jersey heads like myself. I would love to wear all of my custom shoes but I cant afford them even though I'm an NBA player with multiple endorsements?? I have a gatorade endorsement yet I still can't afford an armsleeve.

I wish there was a completely offline option for MYCareer without VC. I don't play online. VC kills a lot of the fun for me.

# 9 phenom2311 @ 10/03/16 12:52 PM
Yes! I know I'm in the minority, but the lack of realism is why I avoid this mode.

You have to wear ugly, generic shoes until you get a shoe deal? Even in college you wearing generic shoes, where shoes are bought and paid for by the school from the company they have a contract with? I'm sooo immersed in the realism LOL

# 10 NaVonn_Jose @ 10/03/16 01:15 PM
Just when you thought you was being too picky and ungrateful then you see everybody comments feeling the same pain as I am. Wonderful 2K should really listen to us

# 11 GJC1213 @ 10/03/16 01:18 PM
100% agree with this take. I'm about 15 games into my rookie year, shot creator, 6'3", 210 lb PG averaging about 10/5/3 per game. I've grinded my way to a robust 72 overall ranking and am now able to barely hold my own and have respectable games. This is pretty much where we should start, especially considering how stingy the game is with VC unless you open your wallet. Skill just doesn't line up with the hype your player is surrounded by.

Also, is it too much to ask to have a few voices available? I appreciate that I don't have to have a twin sister of a different ethnicity and all but can i please have a voice that matches my player a little better?

# 12 Tom_2634 @ 10/03/16 01:23 PM
I don't know why they don't have an offline MyPlayer so the Park guys don't have to deal with going through MyCareer and the Career guys don't get the realism handcuffed by the park. (I'm only a career guy) Also, yeah why do I have to spend 1,000 VC on a pair of shorts?

I'd love an offline version where you can choose your start (Top pick, undrafted, etc.) so you can choose to start low and build up or come in high, and/or be able to choose a total sandbox option like MyLeague. Part of this would be having your athleticism attributes start out high and depending on your start being able to choose maybe one or two "NBA Ready" skills and rounding out your game as you go.

# 13 ggsimmonds @ 10/03/16 01:32 PM
This will be a problem as long as mycareer is tied to the online park modes.

# 14 MrWrestling3 @ 10/03/16 01:32 PM
It does bother me how they hype you up as the next big thing, then when you come out you are (ratings wise) the worst player in the NBA.

I feel like a more realistic approach would be to have your player come out of college being pretty athletic but fairly low on the skills end of things.After that they could have your player progress in a manner more similar to how FIFA does it their Career mode(i.e. you get better at passing by throwing passes, better at different shots by taking enough high percentage looks with that type of shot,etc.)

I would also appreciate a more FIFA-esque approach to practice where instead of just shooting around/lifting and hoping you get a boost you do specific skills drills which boost specific attributes if do well enough at them (and which attribute each drill affects is clearly noted so you can focus on aspects of your game)

# 15 CBAT @ 10/03/16 01:35 PM
I wish you could skip the cut scenes! Thinking about creating a second player, but dreading it because of the blasted cut scenes.

# 16 MrWrestling3 @ 10/03/16 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGaryColeman
Just cuz you got a Mo Cap Studio doesn't mean you gotta make bad MoCap movies!

Anyone play games like Bioshock? They did an awesome thing where you pick up Audio Clips and they play out the whole story (like a cutscene) during the Audio Clip as you run around shooting stuff.

2k has the perfect version of this with the Announcers. Make the story happen during the ON-COURT game, so I can listen and play at the same time.

Currently, the Announcers barely tell any story:
- 80% of what they say, they've said every damn game (an unacceptable level of repetition for something that wants me to play 82 regular seasons to level up and claims there is a "story")
- 50% of what they say is inaccurate (they don't know its the finals or the playoffs for most of it, they don't know I just broke Wilt's record, etc. etc.)
- They don't know what year it is... they only have lines that talk about the current NBA, no lines were recorded for my mid-late career seasons.
-10% of what they say feels like they "know" what I'm doing and will reference some of my stats.

They need to go from 10% of "knowing" what is happening to 80%. How can they find the time to code this? Scrap the MoCap stories and focus on in-game moments instead - instant Game of the Year Award.
It would be pretty neat if the game delved a little more into the player's personalities and how they interact with each other (certain players talking trash to each other on the court, getting angry with each other or the ref over a dunk or foul,teams with rivalries going really hard against each other,guys trying outscore each other,etc.), then the announcers playing off of that.

# 17 scottyp180 @ 10/03/16 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostly15
They put alot into the story which don't make any sense and no one can relate to it. I don't understand why the forced story Everytime.
This is my biggest issue too. I understand that 2k and other sports franchises are striving to create a true campaign style, single player story experience but when the mode is advertised as "YOUR story" and the story is mostly linear and predetermined it kills the immersion.

I would atleast like the opportunity skip the cut scenes and story centric aspects of the mode and go right into the traditional my career/my player content. My favorite part of the mode last year was once the "spike Lee joint" part of the mode was finished .

# 18 trey2k198003 @ 10/03/16 02:14 PM
Wow there is a lot of dislike in here 2k keep doing you I can see myself playing multiple seasons unlike previous version where I get bored after 3 games I like that I lm touted as one of the better players in the league and I play like a rookie with 15pts 9 ast and about 3 stls a game I will get better and I will earn more xp I don't mind the grind and my guy has been pretty dope out the gate don't know what y'all are doin different lol. Also this has me way more immersed than madden and the shows single player so please keep doing you 2k! Someone somewhere will always be unhappy with what you do lol I'm just not one of them today

But I do have one suggestion do a single career mode with out show deals and endorsements and all the frill for the guys out there who just want to be boring and play there game in and game out and get some shoes tie it into my league somehow just a thought for the guys that can't "relate" to the guy and don't like all the cool cutscenes and stuff just my 2 cents

# 19 335TDC @ 10/03/16 02:24 PM
No reason for the 55 starting OVR other than to funnel frustrated users to purchasing VC.

Add the insane push to monetize on VC -- basically pimping an entire mode to it -- to the myriad bugs and glitches in gameplay and you have a company that put out a broken game while at the same time whispering in your ear to give them more money...!

I support 2k's right to have VC and I have not bought a single VC credit, so I'm not hating or saying they're "forcing" you to do anything. But the combination of a game released with so many problems, LEGITIMATELY broken features, and the VC push in MyCareer has me bailing ship.

I will NOT buy 2k next year unless significant changes are made to VC and the game's core features are confirmed to work out of the box.

The state of things right now is DESPICABLE and DISRESPECTFUL to customers.

# 20 jake44np @ 10/03/16 02:42 PM
Wow you complained about it being unrealistic and then gave them a ton of money to make your player better and more realistic??
Sounds like you did exactly what they wanted you to do. lol

« Previous123456Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.