Home
MLB The Show 16 News Post

It was a good year for The Show as it continues to be the best console baseball game on the market. And as you’re likely aware, it’s really the only console simulation baseball game on the market. So let’s discuss the most popular modes and what they offered us in 2016, with some hopes for 2017 as well.

Read More - MLB The Show 16's Successful Year, And A Look At An Ideal Roadmap Ahead

Game: MLB The Show 16Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4Votes for game: 23 - View All
MLB The Show 16 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Caulfield @ 12/23/16 11:01 AM
I dont play much RTTS anymore , I dont play online at all anymore and I never gave DD a real chance.
What I want from 17 wont add bang to the Sony buck so I have no real expectations for those things to be added. Things like conraction for custom AL and NL, rename coaches and managers, and even umpires.
Basically the little detail type things. I already rate the Show a solid 99 and when Sony deepens the Franchise experience to be even more immersive then I'll bump that rating to an even 100. Which is why I understand why my wants are low on the priority list, as they well should be. Still, a guy can dream cant he?

# 2 Bullit @ 12/23/16 11:16 AM
Really nice article.

I disagree with most of what you thought about gameplay. I have no problems pulling off the same animations the AI does. My walks seem to be just about on track with the real MLB average, for both pitching and hitting.

Now I should say I solely play offline, default settings, no slider adjustments at All Star.

As far as your problems with online gameplay, I really can't comment on those issues. I never have and most likely never will play this game online.

Adjustments I think are very easy to manage. I really don't understand this point though:

· Speaking of adjustments, make me want to shift against Chris Davis. As it is now, if my human opponent can’t pull the ball, why would I bother shifting? This is a tricky balance, but it would be nice to see MLB players follow their own hitting styles a bit more than they do currently.

Well if you are playing against a human opponent who cant pull why would you want to shift? I don't see how getting players to react more like the real world players, when they are controlled by human players would be possible and dont see the point. Playing offline, I do have to shift against Davis and most players seem to play true to form.

All of your points with Franchise mode are very good and if even half of them are implemented it would push this game to new heights.

I am not going to comment on the Diamond Dynasty stuff as I have said I don't play or even like those modes.

RTTS I hope they can find I balance between what they are doing now and the NBA and FIFA examples. I dont want to play a linear story with some fictional player. I also don't want to play as anybody but myself. I don't find this mode boring at all and I never have. Working your way thru to the bigs has always, for me, been fun, challenging and rewarding experience. Carry over saves have been kind of useless, because they keep adding things that make me want to start over every year. Then I keep playing my new career and rarely ever go back to my carry over.

I also, personally, hope they never go the E sport route. I play games, The Show especially, to escape from the world. I don't want to have to deal with people in my game. If I want a social interaction or community game there are already plenty of those games out there.

Well this is my longest post I have ever typed on my phone and I am sure it is in horrible need of editing. As always this is all just my opinion and preference.

# 3 mdiggitydawg @ 12/23/16 11:18 AM
This is the only game I play a franchise start to finish with exception to the now defunct NCAA (How I miss that football game). The only changes I would add are with the frequent pop fouls and the ability for the catcher to jump out of his stance, field and throw out every player who hits a dribbler in front or near the plate...add that to the list, way too many dribblers. Lastly AI logic...clean up hitters paying down a squeeze play? and it's successful every time?

Other than that...I love this game and have 25 to go until the post season...

# 4 Caulfield @ 12/23/16 11:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullit

Now I should say I solely play offline, default settings, no slider adjustments at All Star.

As far as your problems with online gameplay, I really can't comment on those issues. I never have and most likely never will play this game online.
· Speaking of adjustments, make me want to shift against Chris Davis. As it is now, if my human opponent can’t pull the ball, why would I bother shifting? This is a tricky balance, but it would be nice to see MLB players follow their own hitting styles a bit more than they do currently.

Well if you are playing against a human opponent who cant pull why would you want to shift? I don't see how getting players to react more like the real world players, when they are controlled by human players would be possible and dont see the point. Playing offline, I do have to shift against Davis and most players seem to play true to form.
I dont play online but if I did and played against a human opponent who couldnt pull, I would hope that when they bat with Chris Davis and his ilk, the game made their contact (or at least most of it) pull anyways.

EDIT: The reason being is I wouldnt want a human opponent to hit four homers in a game against with Ben Revere, or me be able to strike out Daniel Murphy 5 times in a game with R.A. Dickey. But like you touched on, stopping those things from happening may not be possible when you have 2 humans with different skill levels. Which is a major reason I dont play online anymore, I used to see some crazy things that just wasnt very "basebally" or beleivable.

# 5 Bullit @ 12/23/16 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
I dont play online but if I did and played against a human opponent who couldnt pull, I would hope that when they bat with Chris Davis and his ilk, the game made their contact (or at least most of it) pull anyways.
But then why play against real people at all? If the game is going to make people play like the real world counterpart, then why should I waste my time and aggravation with cheesers and such. I can just play offline and Davis plays like Davis.

Sorry not trying to Troll, but that is one of the reason I don't play online. If I am playing someone online and I am batting as Davis and I know I cant pull but the game will make me anyway and they shift, I sure as heck am bunting down the 3rd base line.

# 6 Caulfield @ 12/23/16 11:56 AM
Quote:
But then why play against real people at all? If the game is going to make people play like the real world counterpart, then why should I waste my time and aggravation with cheesers and such. I can just play offline and Davis plays like Davis.

Sorry not trying to Troll, but that is one of the reason I don't play online. If I am playing someone online and I am batting as Davis and I know I cant pull but the game will make me anyway and they shift, I sure as heck am bunting down the 3rd base line.
I see it that way too, which is why added to my previous post as I thought on it some more.

# 7 Mike Lowe @ 12/23/16 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
I dont play much RTTS anymore , I dont play online at all anymore and I never gave DD a real chance.
What I want from 17 wont add bang to the Sony buck so I have no real expectations for those things to be added. Things like conraction for custom AL and NL, rename coaches and managers, and even umpires.
Basically the little detail type things. I already rate the Show a solid 99 and when Sony deepens the Franchise experience to be even more immersive then I'll bump that rating to an even 100. Which is why I understand why my wants are low on the priority list, as they well should be. Still, a guy can dream cant he?
Those small adjustments can go a long way. Great suggestions.

# 8 Mike Lowe @ 12/23/16 12:01 PM
Quote:
Really nice article.

I disagree with most of what you thought about gameplay. I have no problems pulling off the same animations the AI does. My walks seem to be just about on track with the real MLB average, for both pitching and hitting.

Adjustments I think are very easy to manage. I really don't understand this point though:

All of your points with Franchise mode are very good and if even half of them are implemented it would push this game to new heights.

I am not going to comment on the Diamond Dynasty stuff as I have said I don't play or even like those modes.

RTTS I hope they can find I balance between what they are doing now and the NBA and FIFA examples. I dont want to play a linear story with some fictional player. I also don't want to play as anybody but myself. I don't find this mode boring at all and I never have. Working your way thru to the bigs has always, for me, been fun, challenging and rewarding experience. Carry over saves have been kind of useless, because they keep adding things that make me want to start over every year. Then I keep playing my new career and rarely ever go back to my carry over.

I also, personally, hope they never go the E sport route. I play games, The Show especially, to escape from the world. I don't want to have to deal with people in my game. If I want a social interaction or community game there are already plenty of those games out there.

Well this is my longest post I have ever typed on my phone and I am sure it is in horrible need of editing. As always this is all just my opinion and preference.
Thanks, man.

With adjustments, I was referring to playing against another human, yes. My point is that I now always use manual fielding because if my opponent can't pull with Chris Davis, why am I playing a shift? It's an advantage that most don't utilize online. I do, but I wish I didn't get that advantage--I want the game to help guys like Davis still pull the ball (within reason) more so than a normal hitter would with the same human playing. Tough balance though, and we wouldn't want it going too far the wrong way either.

Thanks for the reply!

# 9 Mike Lowe @ 12/23/16 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdiggitydawg
This is the only game I play a franchise start to finish with exception to the now defunct NCAA (How I miss that football game). The only changes I would add are with the frequent pop fouls and the ability for the catcher to jump out of his stance, field and throw out every player who hits a dribbler in front or near the plate...add that to the list, way too many dribblers. Lastly AI logic...clean up hitters paying down a squeeze play? and it's successful every time?

Other than that...I love this game and have 25 to go until the post season...
Good suggestions. For dribblers, I'd recommend starting your cursor lower in the zone, then working your way back up as you adjust to the pitch.

# 10 SwedishTouch76 @ 12/23/16 12:05 PM
9 on 9 mode would be boring imo. I'm going to sit there controlling the OF for a 40 min game not knowing if I'll even be in the game much? Personally I wouldn't touch a mode like that

# 11 Mike Lowe @ 12/23/16 12:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishTouch76
9 on 9 mode would be boring imo. I'm going to sit there controlling the OF for a 40 min game not knowing if I'll even be in the game much? Personally I wouldn't touch a mode like that
Yeah, that's the ultimate challenge in a mode like that. Tough to do, and it's not like you can do it like a golf game where everyone can play the same hole(s) at once.

# 12 Caulfield @ 12/23/16 12:13 PM
Quote:
Yeah 3 on 3 would probably be as far it should go. One person to play OF and bat with those guys. One person to pitch and hit with the catcher and pitcher (or DH). One person to control and hit with the IF.

# 13 underdog13 @ 12/23/16 12:34 PM
Quote:
Lol I would 😂.

Just imagine being on a 9 person chat while playing the OF. Honestly would be really fun for me

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

# 14 underdog13 @ 12/23/16 12:37 PM
The article touched on it but I was wondering if any of you who play both Madden and The Show franchise feel about them? The article mentioned that The Show's franchise is better than Madden's, but I've felt the past 3 years or so Madden has had the better and more immersive franchise. Just wondering the reasons others might feel differently.

# 15 jaredsmith83 @ 12/23/16 01:15 PM
I"d love more depth in RTTS. Great concept and has always been a focal point for me, but with how NBA 2K has revamped MyPlayer to the level they have, RTTS is starting to feel very stale. Its my main mode in The Show, and always look forward to it, but as of late its starting to feel dated.

# 16 Mike Lowe @ 12/23/16 01:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by underdog13
Lol I would 😂.

Just imagine being on a 9 person chat while playing the OF. Honestly would be really fun for me

I'm embarrassed a bit to admit that I'd love it too haha

Sent from my SM-G930P using Operation Sports mobile app

# 17 Mike Lowe @ 12/23/16 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by underdog13
The article touched on it but I was wondering if any of you who play both Madden and The Show franchise feel about them? The article mentioned that The Show's franchise is better than Madden's, but I've felt the past 3 years or so Madden has had the better and more immersive franchise. Just wondering the reasons others might feel differently.

Thanks for the reply, man. Just to clarify, I said the franchise mode *interaction* is better in the Show than in Madden. As a whole, Madden's franchise mode I'd rate better than The Show.

# 18 Russell_SCEA @ 12/23/16 02:17 PM
Quote:
Speaking of adjustments, make me want to shift against Chris Davis. As it is now, if my human opponent can’t pull the ball, why would I bother shifting? This is a tricky balance, but it would be nice to see MLB players follow their own hitting styles a bit more than they do currently.
Christmas came early for you guys, I just so happened to be doing a test on spray charts two days ago. This was in 17 obviously fyi.

I set the cpu to swing and hit at every pitch with no foul balls (You've seen the widgets we use in the stream we can force the game to do anything) and I threw the cpu batter about 140 pitches to see if the hit distribution would mirror the batters hitter tendencies. The pitchers used his entire pitch repertoire and threw all over the zone fyi. The results are below, one thing I noticed outside of the obvious is that a vast majority of the hits the opposite field were on pitches off the end of the bat. Which is what you would expect to see in real life I also set the defense to extreme Pull hitter shift and about 29 balls thrown dropped in for hits.

Right handed pitcher
Left handed batter
Contact Vs. R 60
Power Vs. R 40

Hitter Tendency Extreme Pull
• LF 24%
• CF 28%
• RF 48%

140 Pitches hit location distribution
• LF - 15
• CF - 9
• RF - 48
• Infield L - 13
• Infield C - 29
• Infield R – 26

• 7 Pop Ups
• 36 Fly balls
• 45 Line drives
• 66 ground balls
• 7 choppers
• 17 extra base hits
• 71 chased

Same test about 140 pitches thrown the cpu batter was set to swing at everything.

Right handed pitcher
Left handed batter
Contact Vs. R 95
Power Vs. R 84

• LF 31%
• CF 33%
• RF 36%

• LF - 25
• CF - 20
• RF - 21
• Infield L - 12
• Infield C - 38
• Infield R – 25

• 2 Pop Ups
• 39 Fly balls
• 35 Line drives
• 67 ground balls
• 11 choppers
• 22 extra base hits
• 58 chased
• 52 hits
• 88 Outs

So as you can see batters are hitting to their hitter tendencies and the shifting took away a lot of hits. Fyi the game is far from finished and these numbers aren't a reflection of the final product. We still have a lot of testing and tuning to do. Just sharing a little test info during crunch time.

# 19 Bullit @ 12/23/16 02:24 PM
I stand by what I said in another thread. I really have a feeling about this years game. I really think we are about to see and experience something truly epic.

# 20 Mike Lowe @ 12/23/16 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
Christmas came early for you guys, I just so happened to be doing a test on spray charts two days ago. This was in 17 obviously fyi.

I set the cpu to swing and hit at every pitch with no foul balls (You've seen the widgets we use in the stream we can force the game to do anything) and I threw the cpu batter about 140 pitches to see if the hit distribution would mirror the batters hitter tendencies. The pitchers used his entire pitch repertoire and threw all over the zone fyi. The results are below, one thing I noticed outside of the obvious is that a vast majority of the hits the opposite field were on pitches off the end of the bat. Which is what you would expect to see in real life I also set the defense to extreme Pull hitter shift and about 29 balls thrown dropped in for hits.

Right handed pitcher
Left handed batter
Contact Vs. R 60
Power Vs. R 40

•LF 24%
•CF 28%
•RF 48%

•LF - 15
•CF - 9
•RF - 48
•Infield L - 13
•Infield C - 29
•Infield R – 26

•7 Pop Ups
•36 Fly balls
•45 Line drives
•66 ground balls
•7 choppers
•17 extra base hits
•71 chased

Same test about 140 pitches thrown the cpu batter was set to swing at everything.

Right handed pitcher
Left handed batter
Contact Vs. R 95
Power Vs. R 84

•LF 31%
•CF 33%
•RF 36%

•LF - 25
•CF - 20
•RF - 21
•Infield L - 12
•Infield C - 38
•Infield R – 25

•2 Pop Ups
•39 Fly balls
•35 Line drives
•67 ground balls
•11 choppers
•22 extra base hits
•58 chased
•52 hits
•88 Outs

So as you can see batters are hitting to their hitter tendencies and the shifting took away a lot of hits. Fyi the game is far from finished and these numbers aren't a reflection of the final product. Just sharing a little test info during crunch time.
Awesome, and thanks for sharing Ramone. I have respected the AI extreme pull hitters already in '16. The tricky balance--and admittedly it might not be a wise adjustment to implement--is getting these representations to play out in human v human games, otherwise all 9 hitters develop the tendencies of the actual human, which can be an odd experience.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.