Home
News Post

The saga of Joe Montana Football is always up for weird twists and turns, and at this point its possible no one is even listening.

Almost non-chalantly in a recent interview with Twitter Sports, Joe Montana himself talked about his company Superstar Games and their recent project called Montana 17 which is "an all passing VR game for football."

This, of course is a major departure from the company's previous claims of a simulation football experience and even a mobile-only title with that same goal in mind. The VR experience of course can be on mobile devices -- but it seems that plans have changed at least a few times for the title and the development time has been much longer than anticipated.

It remains to be seen if Superstar Games even actually gets a product to market at this point. Currently the game is a great case study in how to create a ton of hype posting an anonymous message on a message board full of sim-heads and then failing to capture on that buzz by having a supremely underwhelming reveal. It's a fascinating point of history in OS Annals as well.

In the strange sordid tale of Joe Montana Football, it seems the twists aren't quite over yet.

Game: Joe Montana FootballHype Score: 3.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: Android / iOSVotes for game: 8 - View All
Member Comments
# 1 TreyIM2 @ 01/19/17 03:31 PM
Honestly, as a PSVR owner, I think a QB only VR game would be most feasible on VRs like PSVR, Oculus, and Vive altho I wonder how fun, overall, it would be. Trying to do more would most likely only lead to ppl getting motion sick left and right altho I think that even as a just QB, it would still amount to tons of ppl getting sick.

# 2 ThatSportsGamer @ 01/19/17 03:34 PM
"This, of course is a major departure from the company's previous claims of a simulation football experience and even a mobile-only title with that same goal in mind."

Wouldn't playing as a QB in VR be the most sim a football experience you can have?

# 3 CM Hooe @ 01/19/17 04:00 PM
Similarly on-board with the objection to "VR can't be sim" opinion.

Honestly, bite-size game experiences work better on mobile. If the game is squarely focused on the experience of playing quarterback from the first person perspective and knocks that out of the park then I think it can still succeed. It won't be a competitor to console football games at all, and it probably won't be a game which finds a huge target audience on this forum, but it'd be a completely different experience that could stand and succeed on its own merits nevertheless.

# 4 23 @ 01/19/17 04:28 PM
This game is DOA

# 5 Lexicon @ 01/19/17 04:51 PM
This is basically what I played at GDC 2016. Of course, what I played was only a week old at that point and was rough, but I'd imagine they have things down pretty good by now. Not at all what I wanted this game to be, but I hope it does well and they can eventually expand to an 11-on-11 full football sim, if that's something they want to do.

# 6 bxphenom7 @ 01/19/17 06:29 PM
And this is why cynicism reigns supreme when it comes to the video game industry.

# 7 TheWalkingCash @ 01/19/17 07:10 PM
VR... no thanks.

# 8 herropreese @ 01/19/17 11:19 PM
When all football video game fans want is a new choice to play and we get a VR game? Axis Football seems to be heading in the right direction but I am all for having options.

# 9 TjJunior @ 01/21/17 07:16 AM
Somebody's talking Montana football again!!! Cue yakety sax. How old am I?

# 10 Brian_OS @ 01/24/17 05:53 PM
The vr sports challenge football experience for the rift is pretty cool! I can't wait for this to be released.

# 11 elgreazy1 @ 01/25/17 08:22 AM
I logged in to OS today after a few months just to check on this. Eh, well, hopefully, they'll do something with it and it actually makes it to market. I'm all for any new football tech and IPs at this point.

# 12 mestevo @ 01/28/17 12:26 PM

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.