Home
PRP News Post

With spring training right around the corner baseball is about to be back on the minds of many. It’s also the time of year when the changes that the upcoming MLB The Show game will be sold on start to be revealed. The first wave of information just hit with hints at some big new features and improvements for MLB The Show 17. News on everything from gameplay, presentation, and graphics to the big three modes are discussed in this episode of the Press Row Podcast.

Joining us this week:

Game: Press Row PodcastReader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: SportsVotes for game: 1 - View All
Member Comments
# 1 tessl @ 01/27/17 05:13 PM
I listened to the franchise part. As a manage mode user I realize I play it differently than most people but many things still apply.

It is always interesting to hear ideas from people and what they place value on and the speculation about what exactly things like "human AI" actually mean. Speaking only for myself I would not be in favor of big swings in attributes every time something good or bad happens on the field. I suspect that would lead to a dysfunctional mess in terms of statistical accuracy which is at the core of baseball. Baseball IRL is boring to some people but I prefer more reality and less arcade.

Good podcast, I enjoyed it even if I didn't completely agree with every idea put forth.

# 2 bxphenom7 @ 01/27/17 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
I listened to the franchise part. As a manage mode user I realize I play it differently than most people but many things still apply.

It is always interesting to hear ideas from people and what they place value on and the speculation about what exactly things like "human AI" actually mean. Speaking only for myself I would not be in favor of big swings in attributes every time something good or bad happens on the field. I suspect that would lead to a dysfunctional mess in terms of statistical accuracy which is at the core of baseball. Baseball IRL is boring to some people but I prefer more reality and less arcade.

Good podcast, I enjoyed it even if I didn't completely agree with every idea put forth.
I second this

# 3 @legendm0de @ 01/29/17 11:23 PM
I'd hope with newfound energy going toward individual player emotions and things like that, that they do well capturing it within their ingame presentation. For a long time in game presentation has been overlooked presumably because they expect people to just skip all that but I don't get the point of touting enhanced stadium lighting and graphics, player emotions and not allowing us to be able to soak all that in by mastering the in game presentation.

Special matchups during the regular season. For example, an early May, Friday night game with Nationals at Philadelphia both with competitive records and a competitive pitching matchup to boot should be a way more memorable experience than some IL game vs Toronto but as of right now, you can't tell the difference at all between the two..

edit,, Nevertheless, I've always advocated for http://www.operationsports.com/forum...pressions.html especially over the course of a season (ie: allstar week mood vs 9th inning last chance mood etc etc). I hope the work they put together will become a memorable addition to the franchise. I'd love it to be perfect on their first try, but I hope they made alot of progress in this on the first try (at least). As for in-game presentation I don't know what to expect so much, it doesn't appear to be a huge priority so I just won't get my hopes too high and wait for more information on that aspect of things.

# 4 tessl @ 01/30/17 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by @legendm0de
I'd hope with newfound energy going toward individual player emotions and things like that, that they do well capturing it within their ingame presentation. For a long time in game presentation has been overlooked presumably because they expect people to just skip all that but I don't get the point of touting enhanced stadium lighting and graphics, player emotions and not allowing us to be able to soak all that in by mastering the in game presentation.

Special matchups during the regular season. For example, an early May, Friday night game with Nationals at Philadelphia both with competitive records and a competitive pitching matchup to boot should be a way more memorable experience than some IL game vs Toronto but as of right now, you can't tell the difference at all between the two..

edit,, Nevertheless, I've always advocated for http://www.operationsports.com/forum...pressions.html especially over the course of a season (ie: allstar week mood vs 9th inning last chance mood etc etc). I hope the work they put together will become a memorable addition to the franchise. I'd love it to be perfect on their first try, but I hope they made alot of progress in this on the first try (at least). As for in-game presentation I don't know what to expect so much, it doesn't appear to be a huge priority so I just won't get my hopes too high and wait for more information on that aspect of things.
I could understand a visual of a player being upset at having stuck out or a pitcher being excited about striking out etc but some of that is already in the game. For example when an outfielder leaps at the will but the ball goes over for a home run the fielder shows frustration. But these are professional athletes. They tend not to be drama queens. If the developers overdo something like this it would more closely resemble little league than professional baseball. What I'm saying is if they implement it, do it in moderation and restrict it to visuals while leaving attributes alone.

# 5 underdog13 @ 01/30/17 12:06 PM
Thank god Millennium is on there. That Sports Gamer sounds like he rarely plays the show.

# 6 @legendm0de @ 01/30/17 12:22 PM
Quote:
I could understand a visual of a player being upset at having stuck out or a pitcher being excited about striking out etc but some of that is already in the game. For example when an outfielder leaps at the will but the ball goes over for a home run the fielder shows frustration. But these are professional athletes. They tend not to be drama queens. If the developers overdo something like this it would more closely resemble little league than professional baseball. What I'm saying is if they implement it, do it in moderation and restrict it to visuals while leaving attributes alone.
well the thread i linked gives much more attention to my suggestions regarding player's reactions or demeanor, and it's definitely not about reacting to any kind of individual play. My take was mostly a franchise mode feature, but remnants of it could apply universally to any game mode.

I just brought up the topic of player expressions because it looks like a theme coming into play for this version, based on the audio. And the main gripe i was addressing here was a beefing up of the general in-game presentation. Id like to see them master the overall in-game presentation at least toward the level of contemporary sports titles. Doing so would begin to improve the ambiance they are trying to bring us.

# 7 Caulfield @ 01/30/17 01:20 PM
Quote:

I really wish I could opt out on the whole player morale thingy. It still irks me to no end the Show's version of Chris Sale is upset with his contract, AND he's even making more than the IRL Sale. He's just one example. I dont care much for players not being happy they're not playing closer to home or they want to play with more "compatriots' and for better coaches.
I dont mind those things being in the game. Just so long as I can turn them off or if even there were a slider for them.

# 8 tessl @ 01/30/17 04:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
I really wish I could opt out on the whole player morale thingy. It still irks me to no end the Show's version of Chris Sale is upset with his contract, AND he's even making more than the IRL Sale. He's just one example. I dont care much for players not being happy they're not playing closer to home or they want to play with more "compatriots' and for better coaches.
I dont mind those things being in the game. Just so long as I can turn them off or if even there were a slider for them.
I tend to agree. The contracts are based upon a framework agreed to by the players union which the players depending on years of service. A needed improvement to add reality would be to increase the salary from milb contract to MLB minimum when a player is called up. A lot of players who are unhappy are upset over being in MLB with a milb contract when IRL he would get a pro rated MLB minimum as soon as he is called up. The "closer to home" seems contrived. It's a great game and I rarely criticize it because the upside far outweighs the downside.

It wasn't a bad idea and like most new features it needs to be tweaked and improved on. I suspect it will get some attention this year.

# 9 tessl @ 01/30/17 04:28 PM
Quote:
well the thread i linked gives much more attention to my suggestions regarding player's reactions or demeanor, and it's definitely not about reacting to any kind of individual play. My take was mostly a franchise mode feature, but remnants of it could apply universally to any game mode.

I just brought up the topic of player expressions because it looks like a theme coming into play for this version, based on the audio. And the main gripe i was addressing here was a beefing up of the general in-game presentation. Id like to see them master the overall in-game presentation at least toward the level of contemporary sports titles. Doing so would begin to improve the ambiance they are trying to bring us.
I doubt anybody would be opposed to something like that but I'm not sure how easy it is to program it given face scan technology which is used. It might be easier to program physical reactions than facial expressions. You are correct it would add variety.

I don't know if you remember a pitcher named Gaylord Perry. He would put his hands on his hips and stare at a fielder who made an error behind him. It was kind of amusing to watch but I doubt his teammates felt that way. Examples like that are few and far between and Gaylord got away with it because of his HOF ability.

# 10 mrCPUgeek @ 01/30/17 05:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by underdog13
Thank god Millennium is on there. That Sports Gamer sounds like he rarely plays the show.
Actually, That Sports Gamer does play The Show quite a bit. He mostly plays Diamond Dynasty though. He and Millennium do a monday night stream called Bullpen Banter that is pretty good. They go over the DD happenings week to week and the store values,etc of the cards. And other The Show News. Tonight they are going to talk about the Twitch/VLog schedule and little nuggets of info it has in it.

You should check his twitch stream out. It can be quite entertaining, even for us franchise guys...

https://www.twitch.tv/thatsportsgamer

# 11 underdog13 @ 01/30/17 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrCPUgeek
Actually, That Sports Gamer does play The Show quite a bit. He mostly plays Diamond Dynasty though. He and Millennium do a monday night stream called Bullpen Banter that is pretty good. They go over the DD happenings week to week and the store values,etc of the cards. And other The Show News. Tonight they are going to talk about the Twitch/VLog schedule and little nuggets of info it has in it.

You should check his twitch stream out. It can be quite entertaining, even for us franchise guys...

https://www.twitch.tv/thatsportsgamer
Oh I know he does which is why it's always perplexing when I listen to this podcast that that most of the panel seems to just be modest gamers and not avid.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

# 12 RawlingsHOH @ 01/30/17 06:28 PM
Quote:
LOL this guy plays the show a ton more than most.

# 13 underdog13 @ 01/30/17 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RawlingsHOH
LOL this guy plays the show a ton more than most.
He does, but it doesn't seem like he knows the game. Yaknow?

# 14 Turbojugend @ 01/30/17 07:13 PM
Regarding the panel's speculation on Diamond Dynasty's "Events", I'm thinking more along the lines of certain Madden Solo Challenges, which are basically a series of quick set pieces (i.e. down one, bases loaded, two out, bottom of the ninth, Trout at the plate).

# 15 Blzer @ 01/30/17 07:15 PM
Is there a way to download this podcast? I kind of want to listen to it while driving home from work.

# 16 Turbojugend @ 01/30/17 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
Is there a way to download this podcast? I kind of want to listen to it while driving home from work.
http://hitthepass.com/press-row-podc...-has-reported/

There's a direct download link on that page.

# 17 RawlingsHOH @ 01/30/17 11:09 PM
Quote:
He does, but it doesn't seem like he knows the game. Yaknow?

I could see how someone would think that at times. Like other poster said TJ does spend a little too much time on DD

Sent from my SM-G903W using Operation Sports mobile app

# 18 @legendm0de @ 01/31/17 01:05 AM
Quote:
I doubt anybody would be opposed to something like that but I'm not sure how easy it is to program it given face scan technology which is used. It might be easier to program physical reactions than facial expressions. You are correct it would add variety.

I don't know if you remember a pitcher named Gaylord Perry. He would put his hands on his hips and stare at a fielder who made an error behind him. It was kind of amusing to watch but I doubt his teammates felt that way. Examples like that are few and far between and Gaylord got away with it because of his HOF ability.
I know it's true of fifa, they individually scan a number of player specific facial expressions to go with the face scan. i wouldn't prioritize that kind of thing for my mechanism either.

Signature persona quirks like the way you described Gaylord Perry would be welcome but can't think of a player today that would make the cut for that even though stuff like that is cool. I separate my player demeanor topic from the signature or generic animations / celebrations topic though. I think it stems from older games like The Sims where certain calculations would fixate a mood upon the character throughout the game. That's kind of how I see franchise mode too.

# 19 tessl @ 01/31/17 03:54 PM
Quote:
I know it's true of fifa, they individually scan a number of player specific facial expressions to go with the face scan. i wouldn't prioritize that kind of thing for my mechanism either.

Signature persona quirks like the way you described Gaylord Perry would be welcome but can't think of a player today that would make the cut for that even though stuff like that is cool. I separate my player demeanor topic from the signature or generic animations / celebrations topic though. I think it stems from older games like The Sims where certain calculations would fixate a mood upon the character throughout the game. That's kind of how I see franchise mode too.
Another thing I'm sure the developers are aware is the MLBPA whose members might not approve of how they are depicted in some cases. Carlos Zambrano is an example of a guy who did some off the chart stuff on the field but you won't see it in the show because of the MLBPA.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.