Home
Madden NFL 18 News Post

EA announced during today's Electronic Arts Q3 2017 earnings conference call, Madden NFL 18 will make its transition to the Frostbite engine. The same engine is used in FIFA 17, with plans to bring it to the NBA and NHL series within the next couple of years.

Quote:
Our Madden NFL franchise will transition to the Frostbite engine with Madden NFL 18, unlocking major visual advancements and new gameplay experiences that will excite dedicated Madden players, football fans, and sports fans overall.

Game: Madden NFL 18Hype Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 9 - View All
Member Comments
# 61 BlackBetty15 @ 04/26/17 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboyc
FIFA had less legacy issues than Madden. FIFA animations have ALWAYS been better than Madden. You will see a Big difference in Madden with simply the removal of legacy problems. Those problems such as Player Models, The "horse walk" animations, Player running animations. Should be improved Ball Physics.
Hopefully my man...I just started a franchsie with the Saints...took a look at Vonn Bell...good night...Darth helmet!

# 62 NolaTexan @ 04/27/17 12:08 AM
I am all about gameplay, but aesthetics are super important. Player models must be addressed with frostbite.

Any chance we get a glimpse tomorrow during the draft??

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

# 63 roadman @ 04/27/17 10:52 AM
Here is one person's prediction on what the frostbite engine might enhance on Madden, and this person used to be a Developer on Madden:

My prediction on Frostbite's effect? Better lighting, better sidelines. Otherwise, very little difference.

ie, don't get your hopes up that frostbite will enhance better gameplay and CFM.

# 64 SolidSquid @ 04/27/17 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Here is one person's prediction on what the frostbite engine might enhance on Madden, and this person used to be a Developer on Madden:

My prediction on Frostbite's effect? Better lighting, better sidelines. Otherwise, very little difference.

ie, don't get your hopes up that frostbite will enhance better gameplay and CFM.
I agree with this. Fully expect stadium, crowds, sidelines and lighting to be better, equipment may even look better. But at the end of the day it will be the same madden we've known

# 65 LBzrule @ 04/27/17 03:25 PM
Quote:

That's about all I expect. Maybe the game feels a little different with respect to running but outside of that, I still expect long time legacy issues to be around. Mass Effect gave me a clue. While that game is better in the areas you named, and the movement is a little different, the legacy A.I with many of the enemies tends to be a rinse and repeat.

# 66 PanthersFan89 @ 05/05/17 01:36 PM
They need to bring back the extra point show, when you finished the week, you press Y/🔺 and Fran Charles and Alex Flanagan go over scores of the week and stats and awards.
That was Madden 10, but they should bring it back.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Operation Sports mobile app

# 67 Playmakers @ 05/05/17 03:32 PM
Quote:

I guess there's very little chance we finally see differences in qb play or behavior on the field even with this new frostbite engine?

You'd think at some point ea would find a way to finally give us dynamic qb play

# 68 Steelers4190 @ 05/05/17 03:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmakers
I guess there's very little chance we finally see differences in qb play or behavior on the field even with this new frostbite engine?

You'd think at some point ea would find a way to finally give us dynamic qb play
Careful now

# 69 da ThRONe @ 05/05/17 07:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmakers

From my understanding the engine itself does nothing about any of that. However since every single EA sports game would be based of the same engine each development cycle will have more resources to make all other things better. Again that doesn't mean EA even knows how to do something this important just that they'll be in a better position to do so.

# 70 iFnotWhyNoT @ 05/05/17 07:32 PM
All I'm expecting is minimal detailed changes [lighting,face scans,possibly less suctioning... hopefully] that overall will look better, but ultimately give you the same Madden experience.

Remember this...https://youtu.be/50nQJQdq_NM

Which was basically this for the next 3 years...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqS3o7lhs1k

I just hope we eventually get to a living world where the environment matters to gameplay and coach/AI game-planning like crowd noise [center botches quick snap/false start], weather, wind effecting QB's etc and not just for aesthetics. Also, I really hope this new engine can limit or get rid of the use of cut-sceneish zoomed-in celebration or reaction and let it playout seamlessly on the field [zeke gets a big run for a first down, gets up, and does his feed me and point and jogs back to the huddle,as the camera cuts to a wide broadcast view, showing you players running on and off the field as you pick your next play, instead of the zoomed-in cuts], hopefully this engine makes it easier to do that and we see it all come together at some point.

# 71 Kaanyr Vhok @ 05/06/17 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retropyro
I agree. Honestly it feels like in FIFA 17 it's a placebo affect. I honestly don't see that much difference between FIFA 16 & 17. It's "shiny'er" to be sure. But that's it.
Its not a placebo its just further away.

# 72 marshallfever @ 05/06/17 06:58 PM
The only developers who can truly maximize the potential of frostbite are Dice. Bioware's Mass Effect runs terribly and so did Dragon Age. I don't know how confident I am in Maddens first year with frostbite.

And it bites that we have to wait until E3 just to get a snippet of details now. Gone are the days when the draft would bring us pics of the new game.

I skipped out on Madden 17 but thanks yo EA access, I've been playing and enjoying it a lot. Definitely a visual and gameplay improvement over 16, now let's hope 18 is an even bigger improvement.

# 73 WillisFaithful @ 05/10/17 01:21 PM
Hope this doesn't mean that half the modes are cut or not updated because they had to make sacrifices to move it over to the new engine ..

# 74 apollon42 @ 05/10/17 08:16 PM
I'll believe it when I see it. I'm so tired of EA's buzz words. Infinity engine, Ignite Ingine, Pro Tak, Living Worlds, Dynamic, blah, blah, blah. Literally none of them lived up to the hype.

# 75 jpdavis82 @ 05/10/17 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BizDevConglomerate
This is an abomination. But it boils down to the devs not having a clue about Football. They know their craft well, and that's it. They don't understand football moves and what goes on, on the sidelines. For. EA, they have no respect for us, the consumer. To.put something like that out after their CGI commercials. For us, we are the real idiots who can't live without the game and keep buying it.

It's our fault.

I'm rolling with the new guys. IMV, CAL ANDERAON, ETC. #BRINGBACKGREATNESS

NOT WACKNESS

Sent from my SM-N915T using Operation Sports mobile app

Devs not having a clue about football? You should talk to them in person, you would realize quickly how far off that statement is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 76 jpdavis82 @ 05/10/17 08:58 PM
Quote:
Ok. I'm ok with that, but looking at the video and playing the game over 20+ yrs, shows my reasoning.

There's a huge difference between knowing the game of football and trying to recreate that experience in a video game that millions play and try to capture as much of that audience as possible.

# 77 jpdavis82 @ 05/10/17 09:09 PM
Quote:
This is true, but what exactly do you think in generation 4 after as much feedback they've received, should we see?

There's so many different audiences that want different things. I think we should see them improving the game every year and seeing innovation and growth towards a better football experience. What that means is different for everyone, but having been to the studio a few times when I was able to go prior to 16, I'm confident in the devs desire and passion, the execution of that is what we all will have to judge for ourselves.

# 78 roadman @ 05/10/17 09:15 PM
The developers don't know football? Good thing they've never played NFL or collegiate football.

# 79 CM Hooe @ 05/10/17 09:21 PM
We've gone off-topic from the engine switch to just slagging the developer so I'm closing this thread.

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.