Home
MLB The Show 17 News Post

Polygon has posted a new MLB The Show 17 article on the improved player faces and lighting we will see in the game this year. These improvements will also be seen in Road to the Show, as the team has bumped up from 17 heads to over 40.

Quote:
It's all about the lighting on the faces, how light affects the skin tone and how light affects the skin tone when it's being shadowed by a ballcap," Russell said. "The lighting we had last year wasn't perfect, and we were basically dimming everything and giving you too much energy from nowhere, for a guy with a ballcap on. Now in real life, if you have a ballcap on, that shadow is being created, but you still have light energy coming from the ground.

They have also included a couple of screenshots showing off the faces of Clayton Kershaw and José Altuve from MLB The Show 16 vs. MLB The Show 17.

Game: MLB The Show 17Hype Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4Votes for game: 36 - View All
Member Comments
# 101 ShowTyme15 @ 02/18/17 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factzzz
I don't know how true that is, i think the whole Mike Trout doesn't like SCEA has been blown out of proportion. Maybe he declined to be part of the game to the extent of cover boy status, or like Ortiz and Altuve.

But idk where you saw he refused to have his face scanned or anything more.
I already replied to your other post. Nowhere did I say he hates SCEA. I already corrected my wordage from refused to declined. He just hasn't volunteered to get scanned in previous years........PERIOD. That's the last I'm going to say about it. We already got confirmation in yeats past.

Mike Trout passes up a lot of MLB related things. He doesn't participate in HR Derby's which he's been asked every year to do.

He's declind the last 2 WBC invites.

He's not exactly someone who puts himself out there

# 102 Factzzz @ 02/18/17 02:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowTyme15
I already replied to your other post. Nowhere did I say he hates SCEA. I already corrected my wordage from refused to declined. He just hasn't volunteered to get scanned in previous years........PERIOD. That's the last I'm going to say about it. We already got confirmation in yeats past.

Mike Trout passes up a lot of MLB related things. He doesn't participate in HR Derby's which he's been asked every year to do.

He's declind the last 2 WBC invites.

How do you know? Find the post. His face looks scanned to me. Just a poor scan.

I've read just about every post on this board for the last few years and never saw that, unless i missed it somewhere.

I just don't want false information being passed on as fact

# 103 Sip_16 @ 02/18/17 03:18 PM
Quote:
How do you know? Find the post. His face looks scanned to me. Just a poor scan.

I've read just about every post on this board for the last few years and never saw that, unless i missed it somewhere.

I just don't want false information being passed on as fact
If you have read every post you would now Showtyme has always had an inside with the team that most do not. I would take his word and also Ramone liked his post. Many players probably decline so why cant it just be left at that

# 104 ShowTyme15 @ 02/18/17 03:38 PM
One of the reasons I know about face scans (aside from Ramone mentioning numerous times how it works) is I am friends with quite a few major leaguers (a lot of them are OS members as well) qnd I am close friends with Chris Carter and Tommy Pham. I've asked them directly how it works. It isn't mandatory for them to get scanned it is completely optional. Also, a lot of players don't get scans do scheduling conflicts of prior engagements and other various reasons. It's not SCEA's job to chase down a player for a scan. That responsibility is on the player himself.

I can also tell you that companies do need to get permission (in most cases) to add tattoos to players. I have my own experience with this when I played ball overseas, but that is another story for another day.

# 105 ryanmc564 @ 02/18/17 03:55 PM
Quote:

Mike Trout

Except for Subway commercials, lol.

# 106 BlacknBlue @ 02/18/17 05:21 PM
Quote:
I don't know how true that is, i think the whole Mike Trout doesn't like SCEA has been blown out of proportion. Maybe he declined to be part of the game to the extent of cover boy status, or like Ortiz and Altuve.

But idk where you saw he refused to have his face scanned or anything more.
You don't have to believe us. But your speculation versus other people's would be no more viable if that is what you were truly relying on for your beliefs in this matter.

When the Hunter Pence and Yasiel Puig videos came out with SCEA a few years back, it was around that time that it was straight up told to everyone that Trout will not work with SCEA. It may have been due to the fact that he worked with another game, but the producers mentioned it because they were being hounded about getting his face scan in the game.

It was also around then when the entire face scan procedure was explained to the fans of the game by the producers.

Sorry I don't have "proof" for you, but I'm not the type of person to chime in and make little things up for no reason. I remember it, therefor I spoke up to try and help set the record straight. So unless you want to go back and watch all the videos from 3-4 years ago I really don't know what else to tell you. And I really don't care what you want to believe. I'm just trying to stop misinformation and speculation from spreading based on what we've heard direct from the developers themselves. The fact that I have at least one other reputable member speaking to cooberate my evidence should lend some credence to the statement.

# 107 WaitTilNextYear @ 02/18/17 05:49 PM
I've got it! Invite Mike Trout to SDS under the guise of watching an Eagles game (or a classic Eagles game since it's the offseason). Then lock the door and throw him in the scanner.

# 108 Caulfield @ 02/18/17 09:31 PM
Regarding Trout:

Quote:
...It looks scanned to me, just not that good of a scan, it's definitely not a generic face.
I dont even know how this is possible. Would he have gotten into the scanner upside down, or backwards? Or maybe he sneezed or coughed when they scanned him. I just dont believe he has been able to take the time away from playing ball to worry about something which probably seems trivial to him.

Quote:
...i don't think the artist started creating faces from scratch...until last year.
Last year? So how did they get real players into the game previously when not scanned.
And there were plenty a ton of them too.

I apologize if it seems I'm dogpiling on Factzzz. I sincerely mean nothing personal towards you.

# 109 The Kid 24 @ 02/18/17 09:35 PM
Quote:
One of the reasons I know about face scans (aside from Ramone mentioning numerous times how it works) is I am friends with quite a few major leaguers (a lot of them are OS members as well) qnd I am close friends with Chris Carter and Tommy Pham. I've asked them directly how it works. It isn't mandatory for them to get scanned it is completely optional. Also, a lot of players don't get scans do scheduling conflicts of prior engagements and other various reasons. It's not SCEA's job to chase down a player for a scan. That responsibility is on the player himself.

I can also tell you that companies do need to get permission (in most cases) to add tattoos to players. I have my own experience with this when I played ball overseas, but that is another story for another day.
Wow awesome!

How did you become friends with them?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Operation Sports mobile app

# 110 ShowTyme15 @ 02/18/17 10:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid 24
Wow awesome!

How did you become friends with them?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Operation Sports mobile app
Pham and Carter I know from Vegas we grew up together. Other players I know through an agent. Carter played travel basketball with me for a few years before focusing on baseball (He played basketball in HS for 2 years at Sierra Vista and I went to Western. Both teams played in the same conference at the time). I know Tommy Pham's sister who was also a basketball player.

# 111 ShowTyme15 @ 02/18/17 11:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
I've got it! Invite Mike Trout to SDS under the guise of watching an Eagles game (or a classic Eagles game since it's the offseason). Then lock the door and throw him in the scanner.
Might as well. Plenty of good steak houses in San Diego.

# 112 Factzzz @ 02/19/17 12:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
Regarding Trout:

I dont even know how this is possible. Would he have gotten into the scanner upside down, or backwards? Or maybe he sneezed or coughed when they scanned him. I just dont believe he has been able to take the time away from playing ball to worry about something which probably seems trivial to him.

Last year? So how did they get real players into the game previously when not scanned.
And there were plenty a ton of them too.

I apologize if it seems I'm dogpiling on Factzzz. I sincerely mean nothing personal towards you.
Lmfao what are you talking about?

In past years anyone who wasn't scanned got a face that was clearly generic. Look at Manny Machado the first few years he was in the show. Or Jonathan Villar even last year. These are faces that look like no attempt was made to make them look like their real life counterpart.

I'm saying, for the people that were not scanned, the artist for the Show didn't attempt to create their face from scratch until last year for a few select players (like Kris Bryant). They used to just give them any generic face that matched their skin color.

But for Trout, he never just had any generic face, which is why i'm saying i think he was scanned, it just didn't turn out good.

Everything about Trout and the Show has been pure speculation.

And i know, obviously, that players don't have to get their face scanned.

# 113 Houston @ 02/19/17 01:00 AM
Quote:
Lmfao what are you talking about?

In past years anyone who wasn't scanned got a face that was clearly generic. Look at Manny Machado the first few years he was in the show. Or Jonathan Villar even last year. These are faces that look like no attempt was made to make them look like their real life counterpart.

I'm saying, for the people that were not scanned, the artist for the Show didn't attempt to create their face from scratch until last year for a few select players (like Kris Bryant). They used to just give them any generic face that matched their skin color.

But for Trout, he never just had any generic face, which is why i'm saying i think he was scanned, it just didn't turn out good.

Everything about Trout and the Show has been pure speculation.

And i know, obviously, that players don't have to get their face scanned.
That's where your wrong. Several SCEA artist made faces, beards etc on MLB 14 first year on PS4. These players were not scanned faces. Those guys are pretty talented over there at San Diego Studios doing some faces that wasn't scanned and creating the stadiums to look like they do in real life.

# 114 LastActionHero @ 02/19/17 09:20 AM
I would like to see Buster Posey! His face was always way off so I'm curious how he's gonna look in 17 with the major inprovements this year.

# 115 Caulfield @ 02/19/17 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastActionHero
I would like to see Buster Posey! His face was always way off so I'm curious how he's gonna look in 17 with the major inprovements this year.
I'd like to see Posey too but after seeing what they can do now, I'm under the impression they were ALL way off lol

# 116 Tomba @ 02/19/17 10:17 AM
can someone do actual in games from their ps4?

Anyone have mlb the show 14 15 and 16 to compare to TRULY see if there is an improvement?

# 117 nemesis04 @ 02/19/17 10:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomba

Anyone have mlb the show 14 15 and 16 to compare to TRULY see if there is an improvement?
Asking people to do work to convince you there is improvement?

# 118 Caulfield @ 02/19/17 10:42 AM
Quote:

IMO we have TRULY seen there is an improvement.

Also for historic/classic rosters, I cannot wait to get Oscar Gamble and Rollie Fingers recreated.
I believe the '78 Padres are the team I'm most excited about playing with.
Ozzie Smith, Dave Winfield, Gaylord Perry, Rollie Fingers,
Oscar Gamble, 1976 Cy Young winner Randy Jones
and see if I can turn Mickey Lolich's comeback into a success.
I may not challenge the Dodgers for the West title but I think I can get a wild card,
and once post-season comes, anything can happen.*

*see 2011 Cardinals, 2004 Red Sox, 2003 and '97 Marlins and 2002 Angels*

# 119 parky_17 @ 02/19/17 12:59 PM
Quote:

So you're saying that you think the screenshots they've been showing us aren't really from MLB 16?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Operation Sports mobile app

# 120 WaitTilNextYear @ 02/19/17 01:50 PM
How about this...now hear me out. Ramone and the gang take the scanner to a network TV studio, slip a producer a nice c note, then have the producer invite Mike Trout over to get his face scanned for CGI stuff in the new TV series The Millville Meteor. Sadly, the TV series will get cancelled in pre-production, but Mike Trout will be none the wiser...

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.