Home
PES 2017 News Post

If you know me, you'll know I've been totally hooked on Pro Evolution Soccer 2017 for the past few months. While I've often enjoyed releases by Konami in its long-running series, the latest entry is the only title that has gripped me like the franchise did in its heyday, back when it was pumping out dominant iterations on a yearly basis for the PlayStation 2, Xbox and PC.

I'm not biased towards PES or FIFA. I've adored both franchises with varying degrees of passion over the past 20 years, and at present, I enjoy them both. That said, I've found myself more enticed by Konami's game over the past few months, and I want to take this opportunity to discuss why PES 2017 emerged as my surprise game of the year.

Read More - Why PES 2017 Was My Game of the Year

Game: PES 2017Hype Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 10 - View All
Member Comments
# 1 elprez98 @ 03/03/17 01:43 PM
I agree 100% sir. The regents are a bit of a pain but on the pitch it is awesome. I'm in year 4 of a Master League playing every game.

Such a great game.

# 2 wooz123 @ 03/03/17 01:58 PM
The regens are possibly the worst thing about this game. I just leave them on my youth squad, but yes, it is ridiculous getting all the superstar regens coming thru the youth system. Completely broken.

# 3 ty5oke @ 03/03/17 03:25 PM
I'm in year 4 of mine as well, just got Huddersfield Town promoted. I also don't take the regens from the youth squad. This ranks right up there with the Show for game of the year for me.

# 4 jpollack34 @ 03/03/17 05:25 PM
Agreed sir. PES was by far the best sports game of the year. Physics are near perfect. Tons of team and player individuality. In terms of lack of licenses taking away from immersion, fair point but not an issue for me as I'm on the Steam (PC) version where there is no short of Patches/Option Files to fill that void. Frankly, the community does a better job re rosters etc anyway, so it's even better imo.

# 5 Pourvision21 @ 03/03/17 05:46 PM
2017 and 2016 are great games the slight improvements they made to 2017 make it slightly better in my opinion. There are option files out there so the lack of licenses is really a non starter for me.

# 6 Skyflame21 @ 03/03/17 05:50 PM
I'm intrigued by this article. As someone who is new to the footy world I have always played FIFA. More so because of the many different teams and leagues that are licensed. I like learning about new players and FIFA gives me that opportunity. I have heard that PES is very limited with licenses. But have also heard that there is a way to DL roster from different creators. If this is possible i may just give PES a go.

# 7 Pourvision21 @ 03/03/17 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyflame21
I'm intrigued by this article. As someone who is new to the footy world I have always played FIFA. More so because of the many different teams and leagues that are licensed. I like learning about new players and FIFA gives me that opportunity. I have heard that PES is very limited with licenses. But have also heard that there is a way to DL roster from different creators. If this is possible i may just give PES a go.
It most definitely is possible if you have the PS3 or the PS4 version of the game. Just Google PES 2017 completed option files. Kits emblems managers Bundesliga and the Mexican league as well as some others. My only problem with the game is the dearth of stadiums. Not many at all but once you are in the game it really doesn't matter too much.

# 8 bxphenom7 @ 03/03/17 07:14 PM
Great read, and pretty much agree with everything said, though I feel Become a Legend should have been a negative in that it hasn't changed. I really enjoyed Master League because I love the gameplay. However, I honestly stopped playing Master League because my immersion was broken with the retired players being recycled to youth teams. It really killed the mode for me. If Konami can make the switch to using fake generated players in youth teams and ditch recycling retired players, I'd play this mode to no end lol It also wouldn't hurt to differentiate the faces and hairstyles more. I know the PES studio isn't a huge one, and I don't know what their budget is, but seeing SDS (MLB The Show) do wonders for presentation and fixing generated players' look makes me expect more from PES. I know they're two different teams with different budgets, but they need to understand their competition isn't just FIFA, it's all sports games (And really games in general being that it releases in the fall). I love the gameplay, it has an actual feel of soccer that I don't get from FIFA, but I believe presentation overhaul is long overdue, and would love to see the recycling of retired players go away.

# 9 papinho81 @ 03/04/17 02:34 AM
Great read! I particularly agree with you on the beautiful game section. I am really loving this game too.

As for the regen in league master I tend to prefer the PES way over the FIFA one. I like to have the number of well modeled players that do not decrease over the year. Also it gives you the opportunity to play with some big names even if not at their top development.

But still I find there is two main problem with regen in PES:
1) Their stats are way to high when they reappear in the game. Their overall is probably 5-6 points too high.
2) They are too easy and too cheap to sign in your youth team, but also you have the exclusivity on those players (CPU can't compete to buy them) until they get too old and become free agents.

When you play with a small team, the combination of 1) & 2) make that you can quickly fill your team with 16 years old boys with higher overall than your previous main man (I know stats are not all about OVR but still...)

I think you really have to use house rules to not make those regens immersion killers. Here are those I am planning to use in my long term ML:
- I can only sign one youth every year
- The youth had to spend a full year in the youth team before I can buy him. So I am not buying any youth the first year.
- I am also thinking about a politic that would force me to get rid of part of them. For example I can only keep half the youth I have ever signed. If I have two youths in my team and I get an offer for one, I am forced to accept the offer without renegotiation. If among the 2 youths the one that get the offer is my favorite one, I can keep him at the condition of breaking the contract of the other one. The number of youths I can keep/I am forced to sell in my team is based on the number of youths I have ever signed (ie: 5 years in game, total 4 youths signed, 2 youths I am allowed to keep in my team). Something of that flavor...

# 10 dtlm6 @ 03/04/17 02:42 AM
Really glad to see the love PES 2017 is getting. I play all the sports video games (Madden, MLB the Show, NBA 2K, NHL, FIFA and PES). By far, I've been playing PES more than any other game. It is indeed right up there with NBA 2K and MLB the Show for best video game. Option files have helped tremendously deal with lack of licenses.

# 11 tubaSimulator @ 03/04/17 05:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by papinho81
Great read! I particularly agree with you on the beautiful game section. I am really loving this game too.

As for the regen in league master I tend to prefer the PES way over the FIFA one. I like to have the number of well modeled players that do not decrease over the year. Also it gives you the opportunity to play with some big names even if not at their top development.

But still I find there is two main problem with regen in PES:
1) Their stats are way to high when they reappear in the game. Their overall is probably 5-6 points too high.
2) They are too easy and too cheap to sign in your youth team, but also you have the exclusivity on those players (CPU can't compete to buy them) until they get too old and become free agents.

When you play with a small team, the combination of 1) & 2) make that you can quickly fill your team with 16 years old boys with higher overall than your previous main man (I know stats are not all about OVR but still...)

I think you really have to use house rules to not make those regens immersion killers. Here are those I am planning to use in my long term ML:
- I can only sign one youth every year
- The youth had to spend a full year in the youth team before I can buy him. So I am not buying any youth the first year.
- I am also thinking about a politic that would force me to get rid of part of them. For example I can only keep half the youth I have ever signed. If I have two youths in my team and I get an offer for one, I am forced to accept the offer without renegotiation. If among the 2 youths the one that get the offer is my favorite one, I can keep him at the condition of breaking the contract of the other one. The number of youths I can keep/I am forced to sell in my team is based on the number of youths I have ever signed (ie: 5 years in game, total 4 youths signed, 2 youths I am allowed to keep in my team). Something of that flavor...
Thanks for sharing your house rules! I've completed my first season of ML but I'm thinking of restarting and implementing some house rules for my youth team.

I'm wondering about regens in the youth team beyond the first season though. What do you do with regenerated retired players?

For me they completely break my immersion and I want to avoid having them in the game. Firstly, I obviously won't sign them for my team, but after a few years in my youth team, will they be released into free agency and signed by other teams? Is there no way to avoid retired players reappearing in the game? And secondly, is retired players the only players that show up in your youth team beyond season 1, in which case I can't sign anyone from my youth team beyond the first season?

If anyone can shed some light on this I'd very much appreciate it!

# 12 bxphenom7 @ 03/04/17 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubaSimulator
Thanks for sharing your house rules! I've completed my first season of ML but I'm thinking of restarting and implementing some house rules for my youth team.

I'm wondering about regens in the youth team beyond the first season though. What do you do with regenerated retired players?

For me they completely break my immersion and I want to avoid having them in the game. Firstly, I obviously won't sign them for my team, but after a few years in my youth team, will they be released into free agency and signed by other teams? Is there no way to avoid retired players reappearing in the game? And secondly, is retired players the only players that show up in your youth team beyond season 1, in which case I can't sign anyone from my youth team beyond the first season?

If anyone can shed some light on this I'd very much appreciate it!
Second this. If there's a way to stop regenerated retired players from appearing in the mode, I'll gladly restart my Master League.

# 13 KG @ 03/04/17 05:23 PM
Fantastic read as usual Fraser!

# 14 Fraser G. @ 03/05/17 04:35 AM
Thanks for the kind comments all! Much appreciated.

I'd certainly agree that regens are ML's biggest issue at present. I play with the following house rules:

1) Never sign youth players to the main team. If they're forced in, don't play them. (Obviously this rule will become defunct in time, but five years in - no problems yet. I'll probably restart my ML before long anyway.)

2) Only sign loan players that are listed for loan. Believe it or not, you can pretty much loan anyone in Master League with enough perseverance, hence why I noted the "poorly-implemented transfer system."

PES 2017 is a great, great game, but does have the odd blunder. They're not enough to derail my enjoyment of it, but the regen system needs addressing in particular for PES 2018.

# 15 Fraser G. @ 03/05/17 04:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxphenom7
Great read, and pretty much agree with everything said, though I feel Become a Legend should have been a negative in that it hasn't changed.
I do agree on this. I wanted to put the focus on Master League for this piece, but it'd be nice to see Become A Legend get some real attention in PES 2018.

# 16 DBMcGee3 @ 03/07/17 11:13 AM
The gameplay is fantastic, despite still having room for improvement, particularly in the fluidity of dribbling. I just wish that Konami would figure out a way to put out new content and update rosters without consistently screwing up my option files. I've always found the process of finding and using a good OF to be quite fun, and very rewarding, but every year it seems like there are more limits and obstacles to deal with. It gets to the point where I dread seeing a new Data Pack on the horizon, which sucks because I should be happy about getting these kinds of updates.

Seems like you should be able to choose whether you want things like rosters and tactics updated, especially on the unlicensed leagues (PEU, PLA, etc) which are tailor made for adding the leagues that PES is missing. I'm all about getting new face scans, boots, stadiums and balls, just don't scramble my editing.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.