Home
Old Time Hockey News Post

TrueAchievements have posted an interview with Mike Torillo, one of the founders of the studio for Old Time Hockey.

EA's NHL series has held a monopoly of sorts over hockey in video games during the past few years. Other than its general appearance and tone, what is it about Old Time Hockey that you're hoping will make it stand out on its own?

We think the game’s pick up and play style will help make it stand out. New and old gamers alike should be able to sit down and enjoy playing together. It was important to us that we delivered a great couch-gaming experience. We have fond memories of playing hockey video games on the couch with buddies and above all else, this is what we focused most of our attention on.

Can you delve more into the game's story mode and explain some of the things that players can expect to find there? Are there other game modes that players can also expect?

Story Mode drops players into the middle of a season of a last placed team. We don’t want to give away too much but there’s plenty of hijinx during the season. It’s meant for the player to feel like how it was like to play in the 70s. It’s a simple period piece reflecting things that just wouldn’t fly in today’s present game. Gameplay-wise, players are provided game objectives to complete to improve their team or collect hockey cards. We also have a mode where players can choose their favorite team to play a regular full season.

Old Time Hockey is scheduled to arrive for PlayStation 4 and PC on March 28, and sometime in Q2 2017 for Xbox One and Nintendo Switch.

Below are the PC system requirements.

Game: Old Time HockeyHype Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 1 - View All
Member Comments
# 1 GlennN @ 03/15/17 09:30 AM
I can't tell you how much I am looking forward to this game! For me (and I know this is totally subjective), it has been several years since there has been a "fun" NHL game (NHL 10, to be precise). Really hoping this delivers the goods!

# 2 snc237 @ 03/15/17 11:14 AM
Looking foward to trying this game. However the interview above is pretty weak haha

# 3 hort22 @ 03/15/17 12:12 PM
the rest of the interview is on their website

# 4 Eyeman79 @ 03/15/17 06:01 PM
I wonder if the PC version is going to be modder friendly. That will certainly increase the games shelf life. I say this because I don't remember reading anything about user customization, players, teams etc.

# 5 graydon20 @ 03/15/17 09:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeman79
I wonder if the PC version is going to be modder friendly. That will certainly increase the games shelf life. I say this because I don't remember reading anything about user customization, players, teams etc.
I came in here to ask this exact question.

Modding on PC could really propel the game to the next level considering we have NOTHING for hockey on PC, it will be interesting to see how the devs decide to approach it.

# 6 MrArlingtonBeach @ 03/26/17 11:14 PM
I think the game is $12.

# 7 GlennN @ 03/27/17 11:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejf0255
The reviews I have seen so far seems the game is a little bit a mess. But it is year one and looks hysterical so it was bound it have some issues. Price point is key I think is $30 right?

Sent from my LG-H830 using Operation Sports mobile app
I don't think the reviews say this is a mess at all. I have only seen two reviews so far, and both look positive. An updated NHL 93 with more violence and heart, it looks like:

http://www.gamingrespawn.com/reviews...hockey-review/

http://www.brashgames.co.uk/2017/03/...hockey-review/

I believe MrArlingtonBeach is correct - retail will be $11.99, I think they said. To me, given these reviews, that's a very reasonable price.

# 8 Honome @ 03/27/17 09:28 PM
All the 3 reviews i read so far says good things about the game. Here's another one:

http://kbmod.com/2017/03/review-old-time-hockey/

Definitely gonna buy it for PS4 tomorrow and if the game can be modded i may buy it on steam also.

It's a great feeling to buy a hockey game again that is not made by EA!!!

Enviado de meu ASUS_T00J usando Tapatalk

# 9 GetThePuckOut @ 03/28/17 03:31 AM

# 10 MrArlingtonBeach @ 03/28/17 02:24 PM
Review from Brian Wiedey, AKA Pastapadre: 2.5 out of 5 stars.

http://www.sportingnews.com/other-sp...71a6nfzcwogfkn

# 11 Cletus @ 03/28/17 06:40 PM
I give the game a 3.5 out of 5.

Here is what it does well

1. It presents itself well. You're not going to "dangle, snipe celly" like in the NHL series. So far I haven't had to. The AI isn't any better (not sure it's worse) than EA's NHL series. It is a throwback to the olden days of video game hockey, and it plays like it. It's a mix between Blades of Steel and NHL 93.

2. It's fun. You can pick up and play this game, especially if you know what you're getting. It's a 12 dollar indie developed game. If you're expecting anything comparable to EA's game you're not going to enjoy it. The game is fun, I'm enjoying laying some really arcadey over the top hip checks. I managed to take out my own player and a ref with one. I took out two opposing players with one hip check and got a breakaway out of it. It's fun.

3. Small details. Every player is named they even have cards you collect in the story mode that have career stats and tidbits (Meowsef Stalin FTW). The organ music is nice, the soundtrack goes great with the theme of the game.

# 12 Cletus @ 03/28/17 06:49 PM
Here is part 2!

The bad:
1. AI- It's terrible on defense. I don't think that is a bad thing, sure it can be frustrating for your team, but I don't remember defense being great in the SNES/Genesis years of NHL, which this game is trying to replicate. Your defenders won't defend, but you can just blow them up with a hip or a poke and be on your way. On Offense, the AI doesn't really cycle, they play very much like a 16 bit era offense does(did? whatever). Are you sensing a theme here?

2. Input lag -- This is terrible and the worst aspect of the game. I'm hoping it can be fixed via patch. You can not do a one timer and there is quite a bit of lag when you pick up the puck. It's rather frustrating, but I do not consider it gamebreaking. Some may, and if you think you're that kind of person and 12 bucks means a lot to you, then it would be reason to wait for a sale/patch

3. Faceoffs and tutorial mode-- Faceoffs are extremely difficult for me and it's tied into the story mode. The first month or so of games have tutorial missions that will let you unlock the advanced control scheme. I think this is a terrible idea, but I heard there is a code to unlock it without the tutorial missions. Faceoffs are completely timing based and I have yet to master it. The CPU is unrelenting and perfect with their timing. There is also nothing to tell you if you were early or late. It stinks and I hope they make faceoffs easier especially for newer players

With improvements this game could be a 4 or maybe a 4.5 out of 5. It's fun and it reminds me of playing Blades of Steel. There's line brawls, blood and a lot of goofy stuff. I will say it does a better job of representing Slap Shot style minor league hockey than EA's series does of NHL hockey. It's 12 bucks and that's the perfect price point for it. There is no online, maybe with support that will come soon. I've wasted more money on games I've had less fun with. If I had to compare it to another game out, it would be a less refined version of Super Mega Baseball.

# 13 Splitter77 @ 03/29/17 09:21 AM
Quote:
Well. Good News = Its only 12 bucks. It is not terrible. It is fun to play. Besides faceoffs I enjoy the game.

Bad News: It is 12 bucks. I will say for first game out of the blue. It is a great game. Don't expect NHL 17 or even 2K10 but it is actually good enough to have fun.

Anyone get it for PC and screw with it yet ? If you can edit it I would like to see the end results.

is it fun like hitz pro? where the goals had a lot of variety?? or is it pretty much same type of way youre scoring?

# 14 ddhex27 @ 03/29/17 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitter77
is it fun like hitz pro? where the goals had a lot of variety?? or is it pretty much same type of way youre scoring?
Puck physics, gameplay responsiveness and animations are not in the same league as HITZ pro. The puck kind of floats off the stick when you shoot, there are a few awkward/missing animations and switching/controlling dmen seems laggy and random.

If you go into old time hockey with the "it's a clunky, quirky $12 flash game" vs "is this anything like hitz pro" you will be less likely to be disappointed.

# 15 capnlarge @ 03/29/17 12:15 PM
Does this game have instant replay? NHL 94 had a fully functioning replay mode. I couldn't find it in the menus and I scored a pretty cool goal I wanted to see again.

# 16 Cletus @ 03/29/17 05:23 PM
Quote:
Anyone finding the demons in Story Mode ? My keeps crashing. Completely at game 4 !!

The game has randomly crashed a few times, but I am way past game 4. Who knows

# 17 PES3Paul @ 03/29/17 11:00 PM
There's a patch! Info forthwith!

Here are the list of updates that have been submitted to resolve some of the critical issues being discussed and brought up in the community hub.

Most recent updates:
- Advanced input preset is now unlocked by default.
- Story Mode can now be played with all input presets.
- Tutorials delivered through objectives are stripped out.
- Progression related objectives are now optional.
- Difficulty and Gameplay settings can be changed in Story Mode at any point in the season.
- Cheat code will now unlock Story Mode Plus and Alternate Jerseys instead.

Previous updates:
- Goalie crash fixes for Story Mode scripted game.
- Story Mode objective descriptions improved for more clarity.
- Rematches in Story Mode causing incorrect tutorials has been resolved.
- Faceoffs are adjusted to draw correctly when neither controller attempts a draw.
- User controlled players skating in wild direction upon gaining control has been resolved.
- Input delays when gaining control of the puck have been resolved.
- Controller settings related help descriptions updated to improve clarity.
- NIS fade in and fade out related issues upon rematch of games have been resolved.
- Contains fixes for a crash on faceoff.
- Model file udpated to fix skinning issues.
- Two-Button, Retro, and Beer Mode control schemes updated to allow for hip-checks when the bodycheck button is held.
- Volume settings slider fixed for values below 100.
- Arcade Effects can't be turned off during Story Mode.
- Instigation pairs don't include invalid injured players.

# 18 capnlarge @ 03/30/17 10:39 PM
This plays a pretty smooth game of hockey. Game reminds me of a very stripped back NHL 2K10. Controls are very similar to that game.

# 19 Splitter77 @ 03/31/17 08:44 AM
how is stat tracking??
do they have a league leaders??
do they track goalie stats (gaa and sav%)???

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.