Home
Madden NFL 18 News Post

There have been a few community members that are prominent in the Madden Ultimate Team world asking their Twitter followers for constructive feedback on what they would like to see changed gameplay wise in Madden NFL 18. I'm here asking the same thing, but to the OS crowd.

Two rules - keep it constructive (and in a positive nature) and respect other's feedback (even if they differ from your own).

Other than that no opinion or idea is too big or too small.

Have at it.

Game: Madden NFL 18Hype Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 9 - View All
Member Comments
# 81 roadman @ 04/10/17 11:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raisnets
Not a gameplay change but for the love of god stop patching this game with only the MUT community in mind. So many of the gameplay changes my seem minor in MUT but make everything else unplayable.

Oh and let me edit weather in CFM, and sliders midgame in CFM.
Good possibility in the near future the modes will be separate based on what the developers have been saying on Twitter.

# 82 OhMrHanky @ 04/10/17 06:50 PM
Weekly wrap up show in CFM. All digital (no usage of real life footage) fake replays of all games that week, including mine. Discuss the draft, as well. Discuss the big college players near the end of the year or something. As well, during wrap up show, near the end of the year, add playoff talk information. I know this is low on their list, but this is really all I would need for more immersion in my CFM to actually feel like I was in the league.

Gameplay:
QB scrambling more (specifically cam Newton and other mobile QBs). To overall replicate real pocket QB awareness, there needs to be more 'slight' movement in the pocket. Almost never have the QB completely stand still. So, overall, the logic needs to change/add constant movement based on pocket collapsing mixed with passing the ball at the right time.
Blocking - FB blocking specifically. I think Clint can fix if given time from what I've seen him tweet, and I trust him. FB simply needs better decision making on who to block, when to block, etc. FB needs to make a firm decision and attack D player, and needs to take on nearest immediate threat. Oline is similar - make better reads pre/post snap. Something is just off sometimes. Not sure if madden team purposely puts in 'bad blocks' for low awareness or something, so this could be tough, but I do not want to see my RG run downfield on a Bline to block the S leaving the DLineman to blow me up in the backfield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 83 Thunderhorse @ 04/10/17 07:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMrHanky
Blocking - FB blocking specifically. I think Clint can fix if given time from what I've seen him tweet, and I trust him. FB simply needs better decision making on who to block, when to block, etc. FB needs to make a firm decision and attack D player, and needs to take on nearest immediate threat. Oline is similar - make better reads pre/post snap. Something is just off sometimes. Not sure if madden team purposely puts in 'bad blocks' for low awareness or something, so this could be tough, but I do not want to see my RG run downfield on a Bline to block the S leaving the DLineman to blow me up in the backfield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just want to piggy back off of you to make the same point.

It's okay that the Fullback misses blocks. It's okay that my pulling guard will occasionally miss the "kick out" block. It's okay that my Tight End will fail to block a linebacker sometimes. What's not okay is the offensive player running right past the defender without trying. I need to see the offensive player fail so I can react on the sticks.

2K's basketball product does a great job at putting enough animations in the game that the user always feels in control. There is a check and balance for everything. As it is now, and as it has been for years, there is no way to check a linebacker or lineman who my blockers ignore. Give me the opportunity to react, let me see my offensive player fail.

# 84 Rocky @ 04/10/17 08:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSquid
Line play interaction. No more win/loss decisions at the snap of the ball for linemen. Bring back steering offensive linemen. A reach tackle trigger or button so you have chance to slow down a runner even while being blocked. More "jockeying" animations for DB/WR when the ball is in the air. Real LB positions(Sam Mike Will)
If Madden 18 had NOTHING else but this I wouldn't be disappointed.

Lineplay throws off the rhythm of the game imo.

# 85 dreneel @ 04/10/17 09:14 PM
Make madden easier to play again... Not meaning elementary... but circle to spin. Analog or bumper to juke... this is the little things that made this game... go play a older version.... Same with NBA 2k...

# 86 dreneel @ 04/10/17 09:15 PM
Make madden easier to play again... Not meaning elementary... but circle to spin. Analog or bumper to juke... this is the little things that made this game... go play a older version and you'll see what I'm talking about.... Same with NBA 2k...

# 87 Mouthoff33 @ 04/11/17 07:14 AM
The biggest change I would like to see gameplay wise is physics based movement and interaction. Many of the current animations do not transition well or lead to less than realistic outcomes(ex. shoestring tackles are a real problem, players getting hit from the side but fall straight back, etc.) I understand the need for animations to make a players arms wrap around a player, or make a player go low to make a hit, however I would like to see the interactions from those points on be physics based. I think that by changing the interactions you would see noticeably more realistic gameplay. For example, using the Hit Stick with a 240lb 6' linebacker would have a different effect than using the Hit Stick with a 190lb 5' 10" cb regardless of their Hit Power rating. Simple science tells us that the bigger player will lay a bigger hit, as it should be in the game.

The 2nd gameplay change I would like to see is QB inaccuracy. The majority of missed throws in the NFL are just inches if not feet to long, low, or high. However we dont see much variety in the current game. I would like to see alot more of the errant passes as just slightly off and not 5 yards in front of the player. Of course that should be dependent on the accuracy rating of the QB, lower accuracy ratings should mean wilder throws than higher accuracy ratings. Basically I'm saying that if the game has already decided that this pass will be innacurate, why not make the pass off by just a couple inches if Aaron Rodgers is throwing it vs a couple yards off if Geno Smith is throwing it.

Of course I would like to see more gameplay improvements than just these, but I think this would be a good place to start.

# 88 Mouthoff33 @ 04/11/17 07:23 AM
Actually, one more addition. I would love to see an aggressiveness slider added for CPU controlled players. Each player could be given a "play style" slider that will dictate how aggressively they play in 3 options; Aggressive, Neutral, and Conservative. A defensive player with his slider turned to Aggressive would play underneath routes more often, make higher on body hits(for knocking the ball out, which could draw more penalties) and be more susceptible to injuries based off his Aggressive play style. Alternatively, a Conservative WR would stick more inbetween zones, make more possession catches, and be less likely to commit an offensive penalty. Essentially the slider could boost certain attributes while having a negative effect on others.

For example, I may choose to set my Safeties to conservative so they dont get beat over the top, my CB's to neutral so they will not commit so many PIs or get burned deep to often, and set my LBs to aggressive so they will play underneath routes looking for INTs and attack the ball aggressively to make bigger hits and create more turnovers.

# 89 Mouthoff33 @ 04/11/17 08:03 AM
Actually here is the last one from me

I would like to see an actual tangible effect of certain attributes on the field. For example, the lower a receiver's route running rating, the less crisp his cuts and less consistent his routes will be run. It seems that currently every receiver will make the cut at the same time, whereas a receiver with 70 route run should turn around on a curl route 9 yards out one time, then turn around 11 yards out a different time which would mess with the timing of the QB throwing to him if he is looking for the immediate catch on the turn. The same should take place for a corner route which would look more like a curve than a crisp cut if he has 70 route run rating.

A higher run block rating should not only improve the ability to hold the block, but also the footwork as well. A Lineman with an 89 run block rating would push his defender away from the hole where a 75 rating would just try to push his defender downfield(if he could hold him for that long)

The same would go for pass blocking. Tackles could push pass rushers backfield rather than just accepting the block. It would create an actual pocket and not just the common semi crescent-shaped pocket.

High press ratings on CBs should drive a WR further outside or inside which would alter their route more drastically.

I think lastly, a gameplay addition I'd like to see would be Offensive Line Assignments. It would be awesome if we were allowed to set offensive line assignments so in the case of a game vs a top level pass rusher, ex. J.J. Watt or Von Miller, we can set our Tackle AND Guard to double team that player. It shouldnt completely remove them from the game but it could at least slow them down most of the time, unless the offensive line truly is garbage. Obviously if a team would choose to do this, it would expose the opposite side of their offensive line as it would then be a 1on1 situation.

# 90 Mouthoff33 @ 04/11/17 08:19 AM
OK I swear this is the last time

I would like to see fatigue actually matter. If a player is tired, winded, gassed, or fresh you should see dynamic changes to their physical play and to their abilities. A gassed WR should have SIGNIFICANTLY reduced speed, agility, acceleration, route running, catching, jumping, injury, penalty etc. A tired Lineman may only have SLIGHTLY reduced strength, pass & run block, penalty, etc. STAMINA SHOULDNT BE A RATING IF IT DOESNT ADVERSELY EFFECT THE PLAYER WHEN HE IS TIRED.

# 91 Godgers12 @ 04/11/17 10:09 AM
They already have a Agg/Bal/Cons trait in the game.

# 92 cable guy @ 04/11/17 10:52 AM
First of all, this is my favorite Madden maybe ever. Can't stop playing. I usually switch to another sport game by now. It's April, and still going strong. Anyway...

PLAYER RATINGS mattered more than ever this year. Of course I played ootb, so I may be on a different page than most of you. It may be in the Trait options, but whatever, this year was a so much improved in that aspect. Player ratings mattered. PLEASE continue this. I'm sure this can easily be expanded and improved on. Take it up a notch. Players play to the skills that they do in real life. 90 rated Run stopper D-line men shut down the run. Yet Do not get to the QB hardly. Elite Pass rushing LB's have to be accounted for or your QB is getting crushed. But dont stop the run, as well as that seasoned run stopper. More Noticeble RB styles. CPU Star WR has to be double teamed. Or your getting torched. Of course for that to happen, CPU AI has to be improved. And CPU QB awareness! Took a step back this year. Let's get back on track with that. Unless it's the 67 rated 3rd stringer. He should look stupid back there.

TEAM STRATEGIES AND TENDENCIES. Teams play and call plays as they do IRL. This year it happened, Sort Of, just because of player ratings. But that's it. Maybe bring back the coordinators. If not, just please let the teams replicate what the real teams do on Sundays. And what they specialize at. If a team attacks deep thru the air successfully, do it in Madden. If they blitz SUCCESSFULLY IRL, do it at a high success rate in Madden. Not just just blitz, and we torch them.

The Whole QB ACCURACY issue. Please, for video game sim purposes, QBS with low accuracy...just miss a lot more than elite QBs. Over/ under / behind, whatever. Even if it's just off fingertips. I wouldnt mind if i go 35%. Go a stretch where I miss 7 staight passes with my low salary back up. Again, I feel this was definitely improved on. Keep it up. Can be even better. If I'm down to my 3rd string, I SHOULD STRUGGLE to get a first! We're not quite at that point.

Lastly, the line play. The way your stuck or your not stuck and beat the O'line men in a milla second needs to be improved on. It does seem, just strictly CPU play is improved on the line. Meaning when I'm on Offense, and watching the CPUD-Line vs my O-line play go at it. Or if I'm playing LB, my DL vs Cpu OL, play looks and plays adequate. Still needs work, but still is not awful. The major problem, is I play on the D-Line. which is what I've played for over 10 yrs on Madden.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

# 93 cable guy @ 04/11/17 11:24 AM
Just wanted to add, I seen a lot calls for improvement in man coverage. Playing ootb, man coverage was there. Trust me. My team played better in man. Because they were man cover corners. Also I HATED playing Josh Norman. He must have had 8 picks against me. (Sorry to bring up ootb on this thread.)

But I feel it had to be said, because guys, it was there. It changed. This leads to the separating issue of game play patches. They did not do us any favors. Please EA, one patch does not fit all

# 94 roadman @ 04/11/17 01:43 PM
I think this is very important to note folks, this is a tweet from yesterday from Rex:

Polls help us understand the priorities of the community. Individual tweets rarely generate this scale of data.

# 95 DeuceDouglas @ 04/11/17 01:49 PM
Going back to the Sim v. Arcade or Sim v. Competitive settings, if that does end up happening which seems very likely at this point, I really want to see an entirely new set of sliders. If they try to build it on top of what is currently in place I just don't see it working. There needs to be a stark contrast between 0 and 100 along with FAR more tuning capabilities. Instead of just Pass Accuracy there should be Medium Accuracy and Deep Accuracy sliders. Instead of just pass coverage there should be Man Coverage and Zone Coverage sliders. Instead of just Pass Reaction Time there should be Pass and Run reaction time. In addition to Tackling there should be a "big hits" slider. I could go on and on. If you're going to go the route of completely separating the two sides, you absolutely have to give both sides the ability to tune the game in a way that greatly exceeds what is currently in place. You can't just throw a couple of new sliders on top of what is there and call it good.

Give people the opportunity to either fully embrace "madden ball" or completely eliminate it which is what I think I hope to see most from Madden 18. The further the game gets away from the "madden ball" gameplay seen during the Madden Challenge, the more enjoyable football experience Madden will become IMO.

# 96 LBzrule @ 04/11/17 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cable guy
Just wanted to add, I seen a lot calls for improvement in man coverage. Playing ootb, man coverage was there. Trust me. My team played better in man. Because they were man cover corners. Also I HATED playing Josh Norman. He must have had 8 picks against me. (Sorry to bring up ootb on this thread.)

But I feel it had to be said, because guys, it was there. It changed. This leads to the separating issue of game play patches. They did not do us any favors. Please EA, one patch does not fit all

I think context is needed when discussing man coverage in Madden.

I cannot agree with you if it is H2H. If we are talking a user vs CPU then yes, it is there for the cpu. The cpu does all kinds of things and lines up in ways that the user can never get.

Now the one thing I'll still say when playing the CPU is that technique for the users CBs is just not there.

Back to H2H. I have the Bills in an online CFM and I have Gilmore at a 92 man and Darby at a 94. Then when their confidence kicks in Gilmore moved up to 94 man and Darby up to 97 and they just give up way too much to be rated that high man coverage. So I almost throw man coverage in the garbage. Anytime I run man regardless of whether it is a WR with 70 route running or one with 90, they always get roasted on the cut. Or they just give up the fly route to guys with mid 80's catch, CIT rating. The problems I see are 1) technique and 2) animation sets determining the outcome. The game pretty much says to me I don't care what those guys are rated. This animation is playing out so the WR is going to catch it.
These are two of the reasons why I would never rely on man coverage playing against another person. It is just that damn bad.

# 97 Mouthoff33 @ 04/11/17 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godgers12
They already have a Agg/Bal/Cons trait in the game.
They only have that trait for "play ball" not for overall play style. And additionally you cannot switch between traits you can only increase the trait throufh spending xp. I'm talking about an adjustable trait that governs more than just play ball, it effects the way a player reacts to everything on every down. Higher hits on body, aggressive bumping of receivers mid route, lurking underneath without using shading, going mostly for hit sticks rather than conservative tackles, etc. All under one adjustable slider.

# 98 cable guy @ 04/11/17 09:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
I think context is needed when discussing man coverage in Madden.

I cannot agree with you if it is H2H. If we are talking a user vs CPU then yes, it is there for the cpu. The cpu does all kinds of things and lines up in ways that the user can never get.

Now the one thing I'll still say when playing the CPU is that technique for the users CBs is just not there.

Back to H2H. I have the Bills in an online CFM and I have Gilmore at a 92 man and Darby at a 94. Then when their confidence kicks in Gilmore moved up to 94 man and Darby up to 97 and they just give up way too much to be rated that high man coverage. So I almost throw man coverage in the garbage. Anytime I run man regardless of whether it is a WR with 70 route running or one with 90, they always get roasted on the cut. Or they just give up the fly route to guys with mid 80's catch, CIT rating. The problems I see are 1) technique and 2) animation sets determining the outcome. The game pretty much says to me I don't care what those guys are rated. This animation is playing out so the WR is going to catch it.
These are two of the reasons why I would never rely on man coverage playing against another person. It is just that damn bad.
This is strictly vs CPU.

Off-line CFM

My players played better in man coverage. CPU played better in man coverage.

Man coverage was better pre-patched all the way around.

# 99 jfsolo @ 04/11/17 09:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I think this is very important to note folks, this is a tweet from yesterday from Rex:

Polls help us understand the priorities of the community. Individual tweets rarely generate this scale of data.
What he is saying is true of course, but the thing is, why don't they make their own polls and ask these questions. I would imagine that the number of responses would be increased exponentially if the questions were coming directly from the development team members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas
Going back to the Sim v. Arcade or Sim v. Competitive settings, if that does end up happening which seems very likely at this point, I really want to see an entirely new set of sliders. If they try to build it on top of what is currently in place I just don't see it working. There needs to be a stark contrast between 0 and 100 along with FAR more tuning capabilities. Instead of just Pass Accuracy there should be Medium Accuracy and Deep Accuracy sliders. Instead of just pass coverage there should be Man Coverage and Zone Coverage sliders. Instead of just Pass Reaction Time there should be Pass and Run reaction time. In addition to Tackling there should be a "big hits" slider. I could go on and on. If you're going to go the route of completely separating the two sides, you absolutely have to give both sides the ability to tune the game in a way that greatly exceeds what is currently in place. You can't just throw a couple of new sliders on top of what is there and call it good.

Give people the opportunity to either fully embrace "madden ball" or completely eliminate it which is what I think I hope to see most from Madden 18. The further the game gets away from the "madden ball" gameplay seen during the Madden Challenge, the more enjoyable football experience Madden will become IMO.
Hopefully this does still come to fruition and doesn't get vetoed by someone in upper management for whatever reason, but if it does, one has to temper ones expectations of how much differentiation can be build out in one cycle, IMO. All the work necessary on the front end to add this functionality will definitely limit how much can be put in for M18.

# 100 cable guy @ 04/12/17 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
What he is saying is true of course, but the thing is, why don't they make their own polls and ask these questions. I would imagine that the number of responses would be increased exponentially if the questions were coming directly from the development team members.

Hopefully this does still come to fruition and doesn't get vetoed by someone in upper management for whatever reason, but if it does, one has to temper ones expectations of how much differentiation can be build out in one cycle, IMO. All the work necessary on the front end to add this functionality will definitely limit how much can be put in for M18.
I totally agree in the aspect EA should have a poll. Thing is they never did best of my knowledge. Doubt they will this year.

So I'm all for starting our own poll.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.