Home
Madden NFL 18 News Post

There have been a few community members that are prominent in the Madden Ultimate Team world asking their Twitter followers for constructive feedback on what they would like to see changed gameplay wise in Madden NFL 18. I'm here asking the same thing, but to the OS crowd.

Two rules - keep it constructive (and in a positive nature) and respect other's feedback (even if they differ from your own).

Other than that no opinion or idea is too big or too small.

Have at it.

Game: Madden NFL 18Hype Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 9 - View All
Member Comments
# 121 mestevo @ 04/18/17 03:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersFan89
Better CPU on all-pro and more realistic, not like 7tds or 10tds passing.
If they can, they should scrap the whole game and remake.

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Operation Sports mobile app
How often is that happening though? I mean, you're the one putting up 31 TDs in 5 weeks with Paxton Lynch and asking for something realistic.

AI CPU isn't going to put up 10 TDs on any difficulty unless your offense keeps giving them back the ball and/or you're not playing with very good clock settings.

# 122 BreakingBad2013 @ 04/18/17 04:47 PM
Don't broadcast a bunch of cheesers for madden challenges and tournaments.

Have more effective blitzes from the middle of the defense, and have defenders understand there's no help inside.

Have onside kicks not warp to insta-onehanded catch.

Remove catching buttons, and incorporate catches based on rating and awareness.

Have players in CFM have roles or badges.

GET RID OF THE ATROCIOUS FREE AGENCY POINTS SYSTEM THAT ALLOWS OPPONENTS TO SEE THE AMOUNT OF POINTS AND SPECIFIC TEAM OFFERED A PLAYER.

More in-depth college prospects profiles, with stats, college team style, weekly reports or game logs, college team stats.

Get rid of dev rating and manual xp.

Fix screen pass blocking.

Allow offensive line hotroutes or assignments to pickup blitzes, if you guess right, good, if you guess wrong someone is unaccounted for and you have instant pressure.

Actually have Gap control matter, I can see where my guys gaps are, but they almost always just follow the back and quit their assignment after the first second of the play.

Get rid of cartoon faces for draft prospects.

Get rid of these unrealistic draftee builds of all 6'7 300lbs DE for like 5-7 guys every season.

I'd like no scouting, where you base it off of college stats, combine, and little notes a scout takes, and your scout is able to be hired and fired.

Fix regression, players losing 2 speed at 28 or 29 every year until they retire is absurd.

Make CPU players adapt to opponent play style / have offensive players adapt to defensive play style. Have WRs have zone routes to find a hole and sit in it.

Have more bait coverages that defenders act like they're going one way, and change it.

Allow inside pass rush sacks.

# 123 OhMrHanky @ 04/20/17 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakingBad2013

Remove catching buttons, and incorporate catches based on rating and awareness.

BOOOOOOOOO!!!! Lol. Seriously, man. This is one of the best things in this generation and was long overdue. We should have control over sideline possession or high point aggressive or RAC. These are realistic 'options' WRs have in the NFL. This gives the user that little extra control over exactly how they catch the ball and make a difference between a catch, a drop, a first down, and a TD in some cases. If u want awareness and ratings to control this, simply don't press the buttons. But, for me, I love this addition to the game. Doesn't take much effort, but again, can really give u that little bit of extra control. And, sometimes when u make the bad choice of aggressive and end up with 1 foot out of bounds, that's on you, and not the CPU. I like that. And, every wr has ratings that correspond to these catch types, so ratings actually do also factor in, I would say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 124 kjcheezhead @ 04/20/17 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMrHanky
BOOOOOOOOO!!!! Lol. Seriously, man. This is one of the best things in this generation and was long overdue. We should have control over sideline possession or high point aggressive or RAC. These are realistic 'options' WRs have in the NFL. This gives the user that little extra control over exactly how they catch the ball and make a difference between a catch, a drop, a first down, and a TD in some cases. If u want awareness and ratings to control this, simply don't press the buttons. But, for me, I love this addition to the game. Doesn't take much effort, but again, can really give u that little bit of extra control. And, sometimes when u make the bad choice of aggressive and end up with 1 foot out of bounds, that's on you, and not the CPU. I like that. And, every wr has ratings that correspond to these catch types, so ratings actually do also factor in, I would say.

I don't mind having catch buttons, but the only reason they are nice to have is because of bad programming. The catch is dictated by where the wr is on the field, down and distance. If the game wasnt known in the past for choosing animations that had WRs falling to the ground with nothing but green grass between them and the end zone, the buttons wouldn't be necessary at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

# 125 adembroski @ 04/20/17 03:17 PM
Blocking blocking blocking. Everything else is secondary to a dynamic, realistic blocking system. I'm not talking about assignment logic (that's actually not terrible, though open field target selection needs work), but the physical act of one dude trying to block another dude.

The entire system is a binary blocked or not blocked system. A block is successful or it is not. There's no concept of anchoring, leverage win, anything.

This trickles into everything else, where technically unblocked defenders who are no threat coax QBs into throwing passes away or backs to break away from daylight, and technically blocked defender have runners walk right into their arms and QBs stand in the pocked for 12+ seconds.

It's why screen passes are just screwed up. Honestly they shouldn't be in the game. They removed all stunts due to the fact that the blocking system wasn't equipped to handle them, the same should have been done with slip screens (WR screens work ok).

So, yeah, no problem is nearly as glaring and no problem trickles out to as many other systems.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Operation Sports mobile app

# 126 jfsolo @ 04/20/17 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
I don't mind having catch buttons, but the only reason they are nice to have is because of bad programming. The catch is dictated by where the wr is on the field, down and distance. If the game wasnt known in the past for choosing animations that had WRs falling to the ground with nothing but green grass between them and the end zone, the buttons wouldn't be necessary at all.

I don't User catch so I don't have a dog in this fight, but with competitive play being the big cheese in terms of influencing gameplay design, there is zero chance that catch buttons will ever go away.

# 127 OhMrHanky @ 04/20/17 07:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
I don't User catch so I don't have a dog in this fight, but with competitive play being the big cheese in terms of influencing gameplay design, there is zero chance that catch buttons will ever go away.

This is definitely the case. But as a long time player of all video game football games, this really is something that effectively changes the dynamics in a good way. I rarely play h2h, btw, I'm almost exclusive CFM offline player. I just enjoy playing football and want to win the super bowl and draft a few years, etc. But, the catch options were something I don't think I ever thought of, but I can't tell u how many times I've played previous maddens and wanted my player to tap his toes on the sideline or go up high for a big catch. U never had control of that in the past and on top of that, the animations were missing. Now, they give u that extra degree of control and it also allows for button specific animations to play out. For me, I've always wanted that control. And, this ultimately allows for more dynamic WR/CB animations/outcomes that simply weren't available before this addition. I can understand u don't used the wr, but even that's what's great about their implementation, u don't even have to fully user a WR. It's great that it's just a button press to determine your wr's 'method' of attempting a catch. Anyways, it's all good if u just like to let ratings play out or something, as I mentioned to the other guy. With the addition of the 3 catch types, in general, it still adds to the possible animations. And, if u don't user, and your wr runs out of bounds without trying a toe tap, u know he's a bonehead wr, lol, and maybe u should put some XP into possession catch. [emoji41]

# 128 mestevo @ 04/20/17 07:21 PM
Yeah, I don't user catch but those options are great, and it's not reasonable to say those decisions should be governed by ratings. Sometimes when you have a lot of room you still absolutely want to possession catch rather than risk anything else.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

# 129 StefJoeHalt @ 04/21/17 12:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
Blocking blocking blocking. Everything else is secondary to a dynamic, realistic blocking system. I'm not talking about assignment logic (that's actually not terrible, though open field target selection needs work), but the physical act of one dude trying to block another dude.

The entire system is a binary blocked or not blocked system. A block is successful or it is not. There's no concept of anchoring, leverage win, anything.

This trickles into everything else, where technically unblocked defenders who are no threat coax QBs into throwing passes away or backs to break away from daylight, and technically blocked defender have runners walk right into their arms and QBs stand in the pocked for 12+ seconds.

It's why screen passes are just screwed up. Honestly they shouldn't be in the game. They removed all stunts due to the fact that the blocking system wasn't equipped to handle them, the same should have been done with slip screens (WR screens work ok).

So, yeah, no problem is nearly as glaring and no problem trickles out to as many other systems.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Operation Sports mobile app
If I could "like" this quote more I would...adem explained best, so I will leave it at that.

# 130 madmax25 @ 04/21/17 10:42 AM
One of the last NFL Gamedays (maybe 04 on PS2) had an interesting user catch system. Basically, there were three buttons laid out on the path the receiver was on. What we use now as a possession catch, was the closest to the receiver, or sometimes behind based on the accuracy of the throw. The catch on the run option was then sort of in stride of the receiver, and the dive option was far ahead. Given that it was on PS2 and Gameday was not as successful as Madden (though I enjoyed many aspects of the game!) it was clunky. It was also PS2 and the advancements since then are crazy. Maybe that is a better direction to move the catching as it at least contained some similarities to real life. Receivers do catch the ball differently based on where it is thrown, but in the case of what Gameday did, there was kind of a penalty for doing the wrong type (like diving for what should have been a catch on the run), which is also something that happens in real life. I would have to go back and play it to remember exactly what they had, but some of their features were solid!

Likewise, I do recall NFL Gameday 98 having four options on their menu for type of play, I can't remember them all, but one was Simulation, one was Arcade, and one was Total control. I was 8, I didn't understand what that meant, but I did recently dust off my old PS1 games for old time sake and thought that I could tell the difference between them. Could be placebo, but it was interesting that even in 98 on PS1, they could make different options. This is a feature many seem to be begging for now, so I just wanted to throw those two points out there!

# 131 kjcheezhead @ 04/22/17 11:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
Yeah, I don't user catch but those options are great, and it's not reasonable to say those decisions should be governed by ratings. Sometimes when you have a lot of room you still absolutely want to possession catch rather than risk anything else.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Its totally reasonable to have it governed by ratings or place on the field. It took 27 years of madden and countless other games pre exclusive before this was implemented and the
majority of the time the choices are silly. Choose run after the catch on an out route near the sidelines? Of course not, you want to possession catch and try to toe tap.

I realize this feature isn't going any where. I don't use it, and you don't have to. I don't feel like this was something revolutionary to video game football tho either.

# 132 PanthersFan89 @ 04/22/17 08:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
How often is that happening though? I mean, you're the one putting up 31 TDs in 5 weeks with Paxton Lynch and asking for something realistic.

AI CPU isn't going to put up 10 TDs on any difficulty unless your offense keeps giving them back the ball and/or you're not playing with very good clock settings.
You don't understand the question, I'm talking about better CPU defense, because too easy

Sent from my KIW-L24 using Operation Sports mobile app

# 133 4thQtrStre5S @ 04/22/17 09:31 PM
I would like to see more options on defense...If the game is about rock, paper, scissor, then I want the pre-snap option to direct CB's inside, for example, in anticipation for a slant route, but then this would leave the defender more open to an out route or fade.

Essentially more ability to fine tune defense pre-snap, as well as having more plays pre-made for such situations like slant or drag situations in short yardage.

I understand some people may not want such controls available because of any number of reason such as wanting ratings to determine such actions, and I can understand that; though I believe the ratings would still be essential in how well each player played out the commands. I also like the whole strategic level that is reached when user opponents are trying to out think each other.

I also like the offensive pre-snaps, and would like to see more routes available to hot route too. Also would like more control over the offensive line...My ideal situation would be for me, the user, to be able to identify the "Mike" which would set up the blocking scheme from that middle point.

# 134 supershuttle @ 04/22/17 09:59 PM
what about better lighting like when it gets dusk the lights come on.an better weather from the weather channel.clouds go in andut of the sun etc.

# 135 SOU7GLO @ 04/23/17 12:12 AM
Lots of great points in this thread! A couple I haven't seen mentioned regarding gameplay include the way QB's run on option plays and also the awareness rating and how it could be more effective.

Combined with insufficient o-line play and how slow the QB's run on options, these types of play are rarely effective. If you keep the ball with the QB he doesn't run at a normal speed so it's really not an option, no pun intended. This needs improvement.

Awareness should effect the user more. The 2 to 3 primary positions people user are of course the QB and the linebackers or safeties. Currently, awareness makes no difference for QB's. This could be improved by awareness causing audibles or certain hot routes to be disabled or scrambled for the route calls (think NCAA). Also, the QB vision cone from PS2 was affected by awareness, so a similar mechanic could work well to help awareness make an impact on users.

On Defense, users shouldn't be able to cover the majority of the field with one guy. Awareness should limit a users defenders ability to make plays. Right now users can zigzag all over the field covering everything. Maybe awareness can be tethered to other ratings that take away the users ability to make
plays all over the field. This may be a difficult one to solve, but definitely needs to be considered since it's current state doesn't capture real life defense accurately.

# 136 Bondsfan @ 04/23/17 03:39 AM
I say it every year only to be dissapointed again, but Ill say it again...

Separate difficulty settings for offense and defense.

They had this in NCAA and even once during the my skill era of Madden. In fact, with the Madden that had my skill, I think you could set difficulty for not only offense and defense, but also separately for running and passing for both.

For me, rather than mess with sliders, it would be so much better to set something like this:

Offense
- Passing: all madden
- running: all madden

Defense
- passing: all pro
- running: all madden

Special teams: all pro

How great would that be? MLB the show has seperate difficulty for pitching, hitting, and fielding. And past ea football games did this. Why in 2017 we have a game where difficulty is a one size fits all thing makes absolutely no sense.

# 137 DeuceDouglas @ 04/23/17 03:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondsfan
Separate difficulty settings for offense and defense.

Totally agree with this and if they do decide to go through with separate Simulation and Arcade settings I'd really hope this (along with additional slider categories) would be something that would come along with it. There's so many avenues they can take to make the game more customizable which will always benefit everybody when it comes to Sim vs. Competitive. Hopefully they really bring it this year with that since it seems very likely that's what is coming.

# 138 OhMrHanky @ 04/23/17 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
Its totally reasonable to have it governed by ratings or place on the field. It took 27 years of madden and countless other games pre exclusive before this was implemented and the
majority of the time the choices are silly. Choose run after the catch on an out route near the sidelines? Of course not, you want to possession catch and try to toe tap.

I realize this feature isn't going any where. I don't use it, and you don't have to. I don't feel like this was something revolutionary to video game football tho either.

It's all good. To each his own, of course. I won't go so far as to say this is 'revolutionary,' however, as I think I've argued earlier, without this implementation, I don't get the wr/cb interactions. And, if u suggest we just let the ratings play out for the wr/cb interactions, I cringe. Lol. That is something I want control over, but, of course, ratings also play a factor. Julio vs scrub, Y catch vs X Swat should still favor Julio because of ratings, and I believe this does play out. Like, maybe 6/10 or 7/10. Julio vs Sherman (or other star CB u like), Y vs X should be low, 2/10 or something. Y vs Y should favor Julio, again, imo, or 50-50. And, then u have all other permutations of this allowing for more 'dynamic' results, imo. And, again, for me, I want as much control as possible. WRs, in real life, subconsciously do choose RAC or aggressive or possession. Some players have better instincts than others, some have better awareness, etc. Ratings should still affect outcomes, but if there is a 'choice' made by a real life NFL player that madden can incorporate, I want it, personally. Same on D, of course. Do I risk the Y interception chance because we need a turnover? Or, do I swat it because I'm slightly out of position or something. So, again, of course, to each his own, but I think this addition makes the wr/cb play so much more interesting and was something that was sorely missing from madden until added.

# 139 OhMrHanky @ 04/23/17 11:27 AM
Here's a specific gameplay/animation that needs to be cleaned up/addressed. The RAC catch. Please, make the RAC catch animation continue to move the player in the exact same direction he's moving in, please. If I'm running Northeast, let's say, I want to continue running northeast because this also 'upfield'. I don't want the sudden 'jarring' effect and improper angle taken by my player. The slant being the best example of this. If I throw a slant, especially a late throw where the WR has crossed the field vs man coverage with a DB on his heels, I want the WR to keep running away from the defender. When the wr simply turns directly upfield, the DB often catches the WR when he, otherwise, absolutely would not have caught him. I know many complain about madden animations not being great, etc. But, this is very specific to the RAC catch and how they've designed it to turn north/south directly upfield, and is not a 'true' RAC catch imo. Yes, it's going upfield, but there should be awareness in defensive pursuit and a more natural continuation of the current path of the wr.

# 140 BreakingBad2013 @ 04/23/17 07:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMrHanky

This is a cheap gameplay feature that shouldn't be. It causes some strange animations and using the catch buttons allows all WRs to trigger animations, even though their trait is not unlocked. You wouldn't mind them being removed if you were confident that your good aware WRs would make correct plays on the ball, with correct programming. It would further separate WRs from each other, showing a difference in FEEL of who is good at what, and knowing when your WR group is weak, because you cannot hit "A" every catch to fall straight to the ground and avoid contact 95% of the time. Which is ridiculous.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.