Home
MLB The Show 17 News Post

The MLB The Show 17 server issues persisted over the weekend, and many are starting to feel like there is no end in sight.

While server issues are a traditional problem with Sony and MLB The Show, last year it seemed like there was a lot of progress made towards a smoother playing experience. Unfortunately this year, it appears the series has indeed suffered a setback with the online play.

Last year, there were some rough days even a couple of weeks after launch as well, but the servers going down at the start of Easter weekend was a real low point (Sony did get them back up on the whole by Saturday). With that in mind, we thought it best to at least summarize the issues that have cropped up during this first month and sort of just encapsulate the whole saga to this point.

Read More - MLB The Show Server Issues: Detailing the Saga So Far

Game: MLB The Show 17Hype Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4Votes for game: 36 - View All
Member Comments
# 41 335TDC @ 04/18/17 12:09 PM
You can't "go back to the dealership" with a video game. Once the shrink wrap is broken, it's YOUR problem. That, my friend, is a "bad analogy."

# 42 Houston @ 04/18/17 12:11 PM
I think it has got to the point where originally there was regular lobby rank games etc, then they added online franchise well back then it was just call leagues.

Fast forward in the past few years there is now Diamond Dynasty, Battle Royale, I believe I think Home Run Derby can be played online as well, but my point is all that online stuff going on on 1 particular server. I think with all that overload tons if not a hundred thousand or so syc games going on, tons of people playing rank matches and lord knows how many DD games going on across the world.

Everything is just bogged down now way to much going on there game online since they added DD without making any significant server changes or upgrades.

I remember Madden 11 the old online franchise before there was any connected career EA had a separate server for the online franchise and one for all the rank matches. Back then I never had any issues in there online franchise it was pretty smooth. The only time I can remember having a small problem is when they would put a roster update out or server maintenance it would be down for a little bit. I think EA uses dedicated servers and Howie that use to work for SCEA told me its sorta p2p where its pings off towers or something like that.

All in all its time to upgrade there servers if your going to have everything running at once online. Just my $0.2!!

# 43 335TDC @ 04/18/17 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitTilNextYear
A few comments on this line of thinking...

1. OS is a privately owned website that can institute whatever rules it deems necessary. If users don't like it, they don't have to use it. No one is forcing anyone to post here. But, when you do, it has to be by the rules.

2. Even if you don't feel competent to levy "constructive criticism" your wording can go along way to determining whether the post is acceptable or not. Almost 100% of the time when people name-call the devs (or anyone else), that will result in a deleted post at minimum. People know to expect that and the rules are very clear. People that can't get their point across without name-calling either need to remember to breathe before posting or they are not mature enough to be part of this community (theoretically).

3. Furthermore, do you really need to be a software engineer to think constructively--at least in general terms--about what the issues are and how to fix them? I don't think that's the case. You could say that your online experience is very frustrating and that Sony would be wise to change servers or upgrade and I think most people would consider that quite milquetoast and constructive in nature--even if not incredibly detailed. It's when you say it with expletives and accusatory language/name-calling that makes it unpleasant.

4. Your whole Chevy analogy doesn't fit. If you have a problem with a Chevy, you take it up with the dealership/GM. If you have a problem with Sony's game, you take it up with Sony. Venting on a middle man's website (OS) is not completely necessary in getting your issues resolved (or at least communicating your displeasure). Chevy will deal with a lot more heated feedback than OS, because Chevy is selling you a product and wants you to buy another. OS doesn't get any benefit at all from being patient toward irate feedback. Your analogies don't work because you're conflating consumer-business relationships (buying a product directly from a business) with consumer-third party situations (posting about the transaction on a separate message board).

5. As for the idea of putting your money where your mouth is....I totally, unequivocally 100% agree. People can skip next year's edition if they don't like this one and that's a reasonable thing to do. Furthermore, this whole "pre-ordering" glitzy versions is part of the problem. If they don't even need to display their "wares" and prove it to the customer, their model allows them to publish essentially a prototype on launch day and fix it over the ensuing weeks and months as they always do.

As for the blame, well, blame the consumers who knowingly pony up $100+ before the game even comes out with every expectation that they'll be disappointed. Also, blame the suits at Sony Corporate for putting their game developers on unrealistic timelines with a skeleton crew and minimal resources. I'm sure the guys at SDS dislike buggy game releases at least as much as we do. I'm sure they are upset that the rollout was not smooth and they have to figure it out while under fire from very unhappy customers. Personally, this is one of the reasons I am happy to work on editing for a while, lol, before ever playing a game.
Regarding #1, who the heck denied ANY of that? Anybody who posts on here regularly already knows the TOS, but that doesn't mean you can't "constructively criticize" moderator oversensitivity if you think it's there.

OS does a good job overall of moderating comments, but it's certainly conservative and errs on the side of OVERprotecting dev teams (which is the deal you make with the devil if you want them on your site). I am quite pleased with this write-up -- it's very un-OS-like to take a semi-hard stance like it does. Kudos.

# 44 Speedy @ 04/18/17 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasfette
I don't think I totally understand this mentality that some in the OS community have around developers. It very much feels like, per those folks, no one is ever, ever, ever to become upset over the way a game releases. You're allowed to provide "constructive criticism", but anything other than that can become reason for deletion of posts or banning (and, for the record, I'm not, by any means, condoning personal attacks on devs).
I disagree.

I think we can be upset and be critical of a game, its development/direction or the implementation of promoted features. MLB The Show has received a lot of criticism this year whether it be it's lack of franchise improvements or the HORRIBLE online experience and various gameplay logic (numerous HRs, bad SP logic).

The issue is when folks come and post in frustration/anger and bash the game because of their annoyance...stating the game is trash, nobody should waste money on this piece of crap, the devs are liars, etc. OS is not going to tolerate that type of childish behavior as the TOS is written and Mill/Steve harbor a mindset that the forum will be mature and respectful in all postings. All of us here want the game to be better...bashing the game because we're frustrated helps nobody - it's better to voice out specifically what is incorrect and how it can be improved.

As far as the devs go...SCEA developers I think are great people. I see their passion thru the streams and their postings and have heard the same from users that went to the Community Days. The fact these devs frequent this forum without obligation is not something OS takes lightly...It is expected and forced upon our members that devs will be treated with respect as OS values that relationship.

SCEA as a whole has garnered a lot of respect on this forum thru the years with which a lot of the members here pass back (it's much better when compared to the 2K/Madden forums)...as Bullit said though, we keep having faith the game will turn in our favor but the past couple of years has somewhat broken down that relationship, at least to me. As much as I love this game and the series, nostalgia cannot keep allowing me to think this is a good game...we have to hold the gaming company and its developers accountable if the series is not improving in core areas.

I know that's rambling a bit as I'm not speaking to you in general, just a broad thought surrounding the topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasfette
Well, funny thing around constructive criticism: I'm not a software engineer. And even if I was I simply don't have access to the game's coding. So it's a little difficult to provide constructive criticism around why the game's online modes don't work.

I can't imagine ANY other industry/commercial product where this is acceptable. If you buy a new car from Chevy and it doesn't go into reverse, are you satisfied with "you just have to be patient until Chevy finds a fix"? No! "Oh, and you better be an engineer because, unless you can tell us WHY the car won't go into reverse, we don't wanna hear it."

Sure, a car costs considerably more than a video game. But let's use a battery-operated shower cleaner. If you put the batteries in and it doesn't spray, would anyone find it reasonable for the consumer to "wait for a fix"? No! You'd return it as broken and have the choice, as a consumer, to buy a different product from another developer.

But video games don't work that way. Once you open that plastic wrapping, it's yours. If it doesn't perform to established expectations? Well, sucks for you, because no returning it. So you're either forced to wait for a fix (and you BETTER not say anything bad about the product - only constructive criticism!) or you sell it on the open market. It's absolutely absurd that we let the video game industry get away with such things.

But, that's where capitalism is so great. If you truly want to change those practices, you simply stop buying the product. SDS is a business here to make a profit. No profit means changes to the product, or no more business. So, maybe we should all put our money where our mouths are and stop buying the game until the devs decide to put out a working product that is worth the cost they charge.
I think is EXTREMELY well said and well put. I agree wholeheartedly that consumers are now getting an unfinished, 95%, 90%, sometimes even 80-85% game. I've fallen into the mindset to be patient on a game with patch #1, #2, #3, #4, etc....versus expecting the game to work as intended and as I expected when I purchased it.

# 45 sbauer318 @ 04/18/17 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by capa
I don't know who their backend Cloud service provider is but they should be terminating that contract and hook up with IBM, Google, or some major player that has a proven track record of success in the Cloud for major programs and millions of transactions.

C
Cloud infrastructure isn't some magical thing that can heal all wounds. The services and backend have to be well written and scalable too. Not only that, but you have to set up the infrastructure properly as well. These issues could be caused by any number of things.

# 46 Retropyro @ 04/18/17 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lowe
And even if we consider the game a total loss, it's $60. Sucks, but not the end of the world.

I get what folks are saying about saying what they want, but I guess outside of venting, I'm not sure the purpose it serves.
I hate seeing statements like these. Those are the very types of thoughts that lead to company's getting off the hook for not living up to the promises they advertise and continues the cycle of rinse and repeat releases.

No, it's not the end of the world. The only thing that is the end of the world is "The end of the world", so no one should get mad at anything else?

Obviously the venting does nothing, the studio already made their money. But people are angry because for months, up front and constantly in videos, live-streams and written articles are the devs pushing this game and making themselves available. Because it's all positive. All they want to do is talk about the game, everyone's happy. But post launch when some problems begin to show, radio silence. They disappear.

I don't even personally care about the online side of the game, I'm strictly offline. But I hate seeing those that do care about it get brushed aside. As that's how I've felt for months with NBA 2K17 and it being completely unplayable. (Yes unplayable, the game won't load). Sucks having your concerns brushed off. Especially by the one place you hope would "have your back" and be able to use their contacts to push for answers.

I am happy to see this article though. Would love to see OS holding more developers (2K) accountable with similar ones.

# 47 335TDC @ 04/18/17 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retropyro
I am happy to see this article though. Would love to see OS holding more developers (2K) accountable with similar ones.
Agree. I dislike how but understand why OS "protects" developers on its forums, but this is the closest thing to an outright relationship-threatening condemnation that we're likely to see by OS against one of the big games (Madden, 2K, et al.). Good on them.

# 48 theu715 @ 04/18/17 02:22 PM
"Because of this, large portions of the game are at times unplayable for users. With the possibility that this instability could continue, it's hard to justify recommending MLB The Show 17 for a purchase right now. We need to see that the game is fully functional and stable again to more comfortably say the game is safe to pick up -- at least when it comes to recommending it to anyone who has an internet connection." - Quote from the article

As someone who has played almost exclusively Online Franchise mode the past two years, it is old seeing the same server issues year after year. I'm really glad I ordered the cheapest version of the game I could get this year and didn't spend a dime more for "special editions" or extra online content that would mostly meaningless. The issue IMO is that the devs put so much effort in promoting the game and especially the online modes and they don't work well at launch, and even weeks later. On top of that do things like add events, programs, cards, and packs instead of taking 2 minutes to update their twitter account with what is going on. Small things like "still working on server connectivity today" or "thanks for the patience everyone, we're sorry it's taking so long, but working on it" or even an honest update, "we aren't sure why things aren't stabilizing but we're working hard at it" would all go a long way. Instead, of this we get April Fools legend pranks. For everyone wanting cards back, I'd rather get a cheaper version of the game next year or a refund back for part of the game the year. That's the fair way to handle it. Again, just my opinion.

# 49 Millennium @ 04/18/17 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335TDC
Agree. I dislike how but understand why OS "protects" developers on its forums, but this is the closest thing to an outright relationship-threatening condemnation that we're likely to see by OS against one of the big games (Madden, 2K, et al.). Good on them.
I've actually seen about enough of your accusations. We don't protect devs. We ask that people speak to them like adults in a mature way.

Just because we don't lash out at devs in articles in no way means we "protect" them. You need to get past that mindset or, as others have said, find another place to push your agenda.

# 50 baseballsim @ 04/18/17 03:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWPump23
Again, coming from a "fanboy" here...

This game has been released for a month? I'd imagine some of these issues requiring some time to resolve?

I'm ALL for holding people accountable. Don't feel this group deserves a "pass", either. DO feel that some time (to resolve issues) is fair though...

Did any of you hear Ramone Russell during Millennium's 3-day pre-release game stream? The guy was WIPED OUT! The game's post release hang over will pass, developer's batteries will recharge & these guys will "right" what's "wrong"...

SDS's past track record will prove me right...

-GW-
If memory serves me, games have been going in the queue since 2012. I hope they can find a way to change how they process these stats, wins, etc in the next few years.

These issues are nothing new either. Issue always reappear in the next release. One would think they would be able to put in preventive measures for the upcoming release but video game development might be a different animal compared to other software.

# 51 WaitTilNextYear @ 04/18/17 03:32 PM
By the way, I'm no mod, but I am sort of pleasantly surprised by how mature most of the discussion in this thread has been. It's a very contentious and hair-trigger topic and, nonetheless, most are making logical, valid arguments without resorting to all caps 'flinging poo' at one another. To put it eloquently.

# 52 dalger21 @ 04/18/17 03:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtwilli4

Boy was she wrong. A month later and not only has than extra $40 been TOTALLY wasted, but I can't even play OFFLINE franchise games for fear of those being lost as well! Every time I disconnect my PS4 Pro from the internet so I can play The Show, I wonder why I didn't just drive to my parents house and dig out my old PS4.
As long as you have auto-save on, it won't be lost. I have yet to lose an RttS series from the freeze.

# 53 335TDC @ 04/18/17 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millennium
I've actually seen about enough of your accusations. We don't protect devs. We ask that people speak to them like adults in a mature way.

Just because we don't lash out at devs in articles in no way means we "protect" them. You need to get past that mindset or, as others have said, find another place to push your agenda.
Sorry if you see these as accusations -- I probably could have worded things better on a few posts, but I've been complimentary to OS on the whole. For example, earlier in this thread I wrote:

"OS does a good job overall of moderating comments, but it's certainly conservative and errs on the side of OVERprotecting dev teams (which is the deal you make with the devil if you want them on your site). I am quite pleased with this write-up -- it's very un-OS-like to take a semi-hard stance like it does. Kudos."

I think that's fair: it's written in a mature way, and while it implies some criticism of OS, it's not "bashing" anybody . The "deal with the devil" isn't meant literally, of course, but it's just a fact that if you want devs to come here and interact then certainly modding becomes "stricter" or "more conservative" or whatever we label it. Those relationships are sensitive; I get that, and that's all I'm trying to convey. So when the site backs up member outrage on a dev team that handed out a non-apology and has been silent ever since, it's satisfying (at least to me).

# 54 Millennium @ 04/18/17 05:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335TDC
Sorry if you see these as accusations -- I probably could have worded things better on a few posts, but I've been complimentary to OS on the whole. For example, earlier in this thread I wrote:

"OS does a good job overall of moderating comments, but it's certainly conservative and errs on the side of OVERprotecting dev teams (which is the deal you make with the devil if you want them on your site). I am quite pleased with this write-up -- it's very un-OS-like to take a semi-hard stance like it does. Kudos."

I think that's fair: it's written in a mature way, and while it implies some criticism of OS, it's not "bashing" anybody . The "deal with the devil" isn't meant literally, of course, but it's just a fact that if you want devs to come here and interact then certainly modding becomes "stricter" or "more conservative" or whatever we label it. Those relationships are sensitive; I get that, and that's all I'm trying to convey. So when the site backs up member outrage on a dev team that handed out a non-apology and has been silent ever since, it's satisfying (at least to me).
That's just the thing - we don't exactly have relationships. Devs come here of their own free will. If they didn't, we'd still operate and succeed as we did prior to their interaction. Dev interaction here is for the good of gaming, not for the good of this site.

# 55 335TDC @ 04/18/17 05:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millennium
That's just the thing - we don't exactly have relationships. Devs come here of their own free will. If they didn't, we'd still operate and succeed as we did prior to their interaction. Dev interaction here is for the good of gaming, not for the good of this site.
PM sent so as to not hijack thread. Thanks for responding.

# 56 Karle @ 04/19/17 11:04 AM
First I am a big fan of the game and appreciate that SDS worked hard to make so many improvements in the game even though there is really no competitive pressure to do so. MLB 17 The Show is truly the only game in town for baseball. Having begun playing baseball games on the PC with Tony Larussa Baseball it is truly amazing how far the game has progressed.

I also must admit that I do not play games on-line and so have not suffered as others have done with the server issues. Because of travelling I could not even install the game until one week after the launch date. I am sure that the problems of the servers have caused a lot of frustration among users especially since all the promotion before the launch built up a greatly enhanced anticipation of the release of the game. Having seen in promotions how great the game can be they are disappointed now that they are not able to play with regularity the game as they expected. Thus, I have empathy for how they feel. That being said, I see here really two issues:

The first issue is with the servers. This was a problem also last year so it cannot be a complete surprise. Perhaps it is not possible to fully test the system until it is under the full load after launch. Perhaps some of the enhancements are contributing to the issues. We assume that SDS is working hard to fix these problems as quickly as possible. This is an issue which to some extent is temporarily beyond the control of SDS.

The second is with communication. During the lead up to the launch we heard often from the developers about all the enhancements and improvements. However, after the launch when the server problems occured we heard very little. This lack of information helps feed the frustration by giving an impression that perhaps SDS is not puruing every effort to solve the problem as quickly as possible. This silence can even be misread by some as indicating a type of arrogance. I believe frank and honest communications from the developers about what the problems are, what they are doing to fix it and when they expect the problems to be resolved would go a long way to reducing the frustration among many of the users who are suffering from the server issues.

# 57 N51_rob @ 04/20/17 09:39 AM
I like the game, I like the guys at SDS that I have interacted with, but this is two years in a row of major server issues on release....fool me once...As a consumer its unacceptable. On hardcore sites like this one SDS get a pass, because for the most part their gameplay has been stellar for a while. If a certain football game had issues like this in back to back releases the forums would burn. SDS needs to do a much better job communicating, but doing their due diligence to prevent this from happening again. Two years in a row has moved this game from a Day 1 to a "wait for the kinks to be worked out" purchase.

# 58 Artman22 @ 04/20/17 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by N51_rob
I like the game, I like the guys at SDS that I have interacted with, but this is two years in a row of major server issues on release....fool me once...As a consumer its unacceptable. On hardcore sites like this one SDS get a pass, because for the most part their gameplay has been stellar for a while. If a certain football game had issues like this in back to back releases the forums would burn. SDS needs to do a much better job communicating, but doing their due diligence to prevent this from happening again. Two years in a row has moved this game from a Day 1 to a "wait for the kinks to be worked out" purchase.
I agree 100% No way I'm buying this game next year on release date. I love this game but I'm so disappointed that it still has server issues and games aren't saving. Like you said this game usually gets a pass on this site but if this was madden they'd burn it to death. I'm in a league and we haven't been able to start because it's so unreliable online. The Devs are also very vocal before the game releases but now are no where to be found.

# 59 mets718 @ 04/20/17 01:40 PM
For a company that is built mainly around revenue from DD this is sad.

DD is a online game in every way and to not have servers built to maintain the level of daily users is unacceptable.

Small studio or not, to not invest time in the fundamentals of online play is inexcusable.

# 60 mikeq672 @ 04/20/17 01:57 PM
The deafening silence from Ramone, and all their various twitters and so on is by far the must frustrating thing. The game is literally unplayable right now because 95% of games dont count but they havent even apologized or said they are working on it. Horrible PR.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.