Home
Madden NFL 18 News Post

The Madden NFL 18 Creative Director, Rex Dickson has posted an image on Twitter with a brief description of each game style in the game. As noted earlier this morning, Madden NFL 18 will have 3 new game styles, Arcade, Simulation and Competitive. We should hear more details about these game styles as EA Play gets closer.

Game: Madden NFL 18Hype Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 9 - View All
Member Comments
# 81 DeuceDouglas @ 05/15/17 10:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StefJoeHalt
Deuce I agree with you that part of the issue is blocking, QB evading system..but the other half of the issue is ratings..most QB don't break tackles cause their Elusive rating is so low..this includes as an example guys like Big Ben who is elusive by nature due to his size, or Romo when he is broken into two pieces..second part of the ratings problem is pursuit rating by Dlineman..this rating at times overrides basic speed, acceleration, agility, and stamina..causing lineman to close on QB's wayyyy too fast..now not talking about the K Mack's, and top flight edge rushers who are top athletes but DT's or large 3 tech DE's.
True. Their tackle radius is also so big and they're so agile like you mentioned that it makes it impossible to avoid that kind of pressure like you would in reality. Just as a quick example:

Palmer is the exact opposite of a mobile or agile QB but one little side step and he completely avoids the pressure. It's not really anything close to a broken tackle either but that scenario isn't really possible in Madden or at the very least is highly improbable. Brady and Rodgers are amazing at that kind of stuff and it's what makes certain mobile QB's even more dangerous as well. I really hope the AI QB's actually move and move intelligently in the pocket. I want to feel and have to account for that in-game.

# 82 Playmakers @ 05/15/17 11:06 PM
Quote:
Deuce I agree with you that part of the issue is blocking, QB evading system..but the other half of the issue is ratings..most QB don't break tackles cause their Elusive rating is so low..this includes as an example guys like Big Ben who is elusive by nature due to his size, or Romo when he is broken into two pieces..second part of the ratings problem is pursuit rating by Dlineman..this rating at times overrides basic speed, acceleration, agility, and stamina..causing lineman to close on QB's wayyyy too fast..now not talking about the K Mack's, and top flight edge rushers who are top athletes but DT's or large 3 tech DE's.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
QB's can evade in Madden the problem is you have to go to drastic messures on the tackling slider in order to see it happen

Most guys on here (OS) will never play with a extremely low tackle slider because it will drive them crazy if a RB or WR broke 2-3 tackles on a givin play.

The tackle slider doing gameplay is the biggest culprit as to why you don't see QB's avoiding the rush very much

That slider is somehow tied into the ball carrier and Qb elusiveness rating doing gameplay

Playing with high tackle slider increases the radius of the tackle range......reducing the tackle slider decreases the radius and in return you'll see QB's avoid the rush much better but the downside is the RB's and WR's will sometimes break tackles

I personally live with the consequences because Madden is a flawed game and rather have QB's at least being able to avoid a rush occasional as opposed to getting sacked 100% of the time...

EA needs to figure out how their ratings also tie into the sliders and doubt they really spend the man time dissecting it or even observing it

# 83 StefJoeHalt @ 05/16/17 07:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmakers
QB's can evade in Madden the problem is you have to go to drastic messures on the tackling slider in order to see it happen

Most guys on here (OS) will never play with a extremely low tackle slider because it will drive them crazy if a RB or WR broke 2-3 tackles on a givin play.

The tackle slider doing gameplay is the biggest culprit as to why you don't see QB's avoiding the rush very much

That slider is somehow tied into the ball carrier and Qb elusiveness rating doing gameplay

Playing with high tackle slider increases the radius of the tackle range......reducing the tackle slider decreases the radius and in return you'll see QB's avoid the rush much better but the downside is the RB's and WR's will sometimes break tackles

I personally live with the consequences because Madden is a flawed game and rather have QB's at least being able to avoid a rush occasional as opposed to getting sacked 100% of the time...

EA needs to figure out how their ratings also tie into the sliders and doubt they really spend the man time dissecting it or even observing it

Playmarkers..I agree with that point as well..tackle slider does effect too much and "broken" tackles in general are too low..I also use a lower tackle slider..I still believe pursuit rating, and to a certain extend elusive ratings are an issue..I raise elusive rating on each QB as well as lowering all DLine pursuit rating which helps..and also agree with u and DD that tackle radius is huge

# 84 Ueauvan @ 05/16/17 08:29 AM
my concern is that there were problems on cfm caused by other modes, will this manifest again with 2 different play styles let alone other modes?

# 85 N51_rob @ 05/16/17 09:37 AM
Too early to tell, it all depends on how this new system is implemented by EA.

# 86 Hova57 @ 05/16/17 12:12 PM
If we have simulation mode..I would love to see botched snaps, blown coverage, momentum means more..ball physics impacted by weather..etc

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

# 87 howboutdat @ 05/16/17 01:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hova57
blown coverage

Im not sure how some one has not already been seeing this for years..... i mean i literally see it every single game.

# 88 Hova57 @ 05/16/17 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by howboutdat
Im not sure how some one has not already been seeing this for years..... i mean i literally see it every single game.
Only in man..zone not so much

# 89 howboutdat @ 05/16/17 01:47 PM
Quote:
Only in man..zone not so much

ive seen numerous blown coverages in zones. CPU controlled player zone has him set to an area but ball thrown there, and no one around..... but yeah man is about worthless unless trying to stop a run, or screen.

# 90 jfsolo @ 05/16/17 09:59 PM
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmakers

I feel like tacking has been tuned to be so ridiculously forgiving as a hand holding mechanism for User play style. A large percentage of Users run full speed at the ball carrier at crappy angles and hit stick(garbage mechanic) every play. Maybe part of sim style can be to reduce that crazy radius and punish players who play so recklessly.

# 91 ODogg @ 05/18/17 10:55 AM
Quote:
If we have simulation mode..I would love to see botched snaps, blown coverage, momentum means more..ball physics impacted by weather..etc

This is exactly what I am expecting from simulation mode. I want the real elements of football, which yes happen to sometimes be out of a coaches control, to affect things and force the user to adjust.

# 92 XtremeDunkz @ 05/18/17 11:55 AM
Per Clint Oldenburgs comments on Twitter there will definitely not be any botched snaps this year and probably ever.

# 93 TheBleedingRed21 @ 05/18/17 12:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeDunkz
Per Clint Oldenburgs comments on Twitter there will definitely not be any botched snaps this year and probably ever.
That's sad. I guess more people rather not have it so they'll never add it.

Edit::

See he said "how would you like to lose 100k because of that?"

Again, that's competition not simulation mode so why would it matter? It seems like these 3 modes will just be tuning and sliders which should still be a nice change but not the full on simulation like we were wanting.

# 94 DeuceDouglas @ 05/18/17 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBleedingRed21
See he said "how would you like to lose 100k because of that?"

Again, that's competition not simulation mode so why would it matter? It seems like these 3 modes will just be tuning and sliders which should still be a nice change but not the full on simulation like we were wanting.
He also said he still doesn't get how fumbled snaps would be fun. But I definitely think, like you said, the different modes will just be tuning and sliders. I'd also doubt that even moving forward that there are very few, if any, setting specific gameplay implementations but that's impossible to say because there might have been some this year. More ratings driven gameplay should definitely be an improvement as long as it's tuned properly but I'm also hoping for more options for things like making kicking tougher and turning tackle battles off.

# 95 KingV2k3 @ 05/18/17 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarodd21
From what I'm seeing for each mode you can still adjust the skill level. I was afraid if I choose simulation I would be stuck with Pro or All-Pro. It looks like I can put it on Simulation and crank it up to All-Madden which we would be a great thing for me. I have yet to play a Madden game where All-Pro resulted in a challenge for me personally.
This is the key for me...

IF we can choose Simulation Mode AND crank it up to All Madden difficulty AND have the sliders be functional, it would FINALLY afford us the ability to play a realistic, yet challenging game of video football...

Anything short of the above is just "same ole", IMHO...

# 96 ODogg @ 05/18/17 06:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas
He also said he still doesn't get how fumbled snaps would be fun.
It wouldn't be fun if it happened to you. But you know what, it'd be more realistic and if you overcame it and won you'd feel more accomplished than if it hadn't happened.

See that's the problem if EA is looking at it like that. Fun is a large part of why people play games but so is realism. Unpredictability is a part of football. Having things happen outside of your control is a part of football. It's why games can take a huge turn the other way and it's why upsets can happen. It's also something that can make games interesting.

Right now if you're up 14-7 in Madden and there's not a lot of time left then you've 99% got it in the bag. In real football weird stuff like bobbled snaps happen meaning that if you're up 14-7 late in the game you're likely to win but it's not 99% likely to win like it is in the video game because hey, bobble snap and.."HOLY COW IT'S RECOVERED AND RETURNED FOR A TD..FOLKS...WE GOT OURSELVES A BALL GAME!!"

This line of thought of "well why would that be fun" really misses the idea that although it may not be fun for that particular play (if it happened to you) it'd make the game overall a lot more fun to play because it would be less predictable, less stale and thus much more exciting and dynamic..

# 97 DeuceDouglas @ 05/18/17 07:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
This line of thought of "well why would that be fun" really misses the idea that although it may not be fun for that particular play (if it happened to you) it'd make the game overall a lot more fun to play because it would be less predictable, less stale and thus much more exciting and dynamic..
And hopefully that line of thought starts changing within the devs now that we have separate settings. Clint saying he still doesn't get why they would be fun is looking at it through the H2H prism. When I look at it and I'm sure a lot of sim guys would agree, it's the replication that is fun. I enjoy dropped passes, high, wide, and botched snaps, inaccurate throws, missed FG's, and the laundry list of things that the average user hates because it replicates what I see on Sunday. Is it fun? In the moment, not really. But the overall experience is more enjoyable and the game is much better because it adds to the dynamic of what could happen and that's what I think is more fun. Plus if the CPU happens to go all Philip Rivers on MNF and sends a game to OT where you win for a spot in first place, then the fun is off the charts.

# 98 CM Hooe @ 05/18/17 07:48 PM
Here are some things I think wrt fumbled snaps:

1 - adding random fumbled snaps would absolutely not be fun by my definition of fun. For me, fun in a video game is defined as the sense of fulfillment derived from learning and subsequently mastering some sort of video game system or mechanic. I don't want to lose because the CPU literally decided I should lose; a random fumbled snap is literally a dice roll. I have zero control over that and I would feel A - robbed if it happened to me, and B - bewildered and cheap if I benefitted from one. Sure, it's "sim", but I do not care about that, it's a video game first. If fumbled snaps are introduced into the game, I personally would only approve of it as a game mechanic around snapping the football.

2 - adding a game mechanic for snapping the football is probably going to make the game more tedious than fun; it'd have to be easy-to-learn and easy-to-master (because how often do fumbled snaps happen, really?), which would make the exercise of game-ifying the snap at all unnecessary and tedious.

3 - It's also not like a fumbled snap game mechanic adds much new complexity to the game; adding a mechanic there and succeeding at it literally achieves the same result as just pressing A / X right now. It literally adds nothing from a game mechanics perspective. It adds from an authenticity perspective, sure, but I don't think it adds enough value there to overcome that lack of value from a game mechanic standpoint, so I could never justify spending time making a snapping mechanic to that end.

4 - if anything, I think that a snapping mechanic might only have significant value in performing long snapping duties on field goals and punts, as to increase the still rather mechanically banal kicking game. Even then I'd probably only limit it to high / low / inaccurate snaps, as to increase chances of blocked kicks.

# 99 TheBleedingRed21 @ 05/18/17 08:13 PM
You realize dice rolls are all over this game right?

Tackles, fumbles, catches, etc.

Obviously it would factor in center rating. This would keep people from playing out of position as a penalty.

I don't care if I seen it one time in a whole cycle I play as long as I have a center who is rated decent.

# 100 jfsolo @ 05/18/17 08:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
It wouldn't be fun if it happened to you. But you know what, it'd be more realistic and if you overcame it and won you'd feel more accomplished than if it hadn't happened.

See that's the problem if EA is looking at it like that. Fun is a large part of why people play games but so is realism. Unpredictability is a part of football. Having things happen outside of your control is a part of football. It's why games can take a huge turn the other way and it's why upsets can happen. It's also something that can make games interesting.

Right now if you're up 14-7 in Madden and there's not a lot of time left then you've 99% got it in the bag. In real football weird stuff like bobbled snaps happen meaning that if you're up 14-7 late in the game you're likely to win but it's not 99% likely to win like it is in the video game because hey, bobble snap and.."HOLY COW IT'S RECOVERED AND RETURNED FOR A TD..FOLKS...WE GOT OURSELVES A BALL GAME!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas
And hopefully that line of thought starts changing within the devs now that we have separate settings. Clint saying he still doesn't get why they would be fun is looking at it through the H2H prism. When I look at it and I'm sure a lot of sim guys would agree, it's the replication that is fun. I enjoy dropped passes, high, wide, and botched snaps, inaccurate throws, missed FG's, and the laundry list of things that the average user hates because it replicates what I see on Sunday. Is it fun? In the moment, not really. But the overall experience is more enjoyable and the game is much better because it adds to the dynamic of what could happen and that's what I think is more fun. Plus if the CPU happens to go all Philip Rivers on MNF and sends a game to OT where you win for a spot in first place, then the fun is off the charts.
Unfortunately since we're in the extreme minority opinion in terms of thinking that these things would actually add a lot of long term value to the game, especially in CFM, utilitarian designs will win out over the implementation of many of the snafu plays that make football so interesting.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.