Home
Madden NFL 18 News Post

All aboard the Madden hype train!

We've officially started the slow ramp up to a new season of Madden NFL, as the first details (and footage) of Madden NFL 18 hit the wild yesterday. The inclusion of Tom Brady as the cover athlete is a bold move -- but ultimately cover athlete's importance is probably waning quite a bit.

What is important are the details which were revealed about the game. Here's my quick breakdown:

• Target Passing, who knows? This could be a major, major thing or a gimmicky feature like the passing cone. My question is how much is it forced upon players? My second question is, regardless, how good and effective is it going to be? I'm full wait and see on this one.
  • Frostbite Engine looks good. If nothing else, the trailer really sells that Madden is taking a pretty solid step ahead visually. The lighting and stadiums are a solid step ahead. It seems like some details weren't included in the trailer (did you notice the barren sidelines?). Animations and players look similar, but overall the game will likely look a bit better this year versus prior years.
  • The Play Styles Totally Are for eSports. I mean, there's no confirmation of this, but its pretty clear the Madden team is wanting to grow that segment of the audience and a play style fully focused on 'Competitive' will do that. Most OS'ers are looking at Simulation and hoping for the best. So am I.
  • Franchise mode isn't getting anything big. The description adds nothing new and is an overview of the mode as we know it. I have a feeling the Frostbite upgrade took a lot of time and resources and the actual enhancements to modes, etc. is going to be focused on the card and competitive modes. I know, I don't like it either but it is what it is.
  • Coverage Assignments, maybe it'll be fun to be a CB or S? There's been a lot of work in previous years to make Madden fun on both sides of the ball. The area that still lacks is playing pass coverage. Hopefully these will help with playing a DB in Madden.
  • Coaching Adjustments: I'm on full wait and see. The details don't sound like anything that I'm not already doing myself during games. But I am guessing something about this will enhance the strategic side of the game, maybe?
Overall

The big leap with Madden this year is going to be the Frostbite engine. FIFA last year went through the same transition with no huge areas of progress. It's likely the upgrade took a lot of time and resources and big back of the box additions probably were hard to come by. Regardless, the Frostbite engine was instantly noticeable as an upgrade in environmental visuals -- I'm excited to see gameplay to see how it all ties together when the game is actually running in a way we will actually experience it.

What did you think of yesterday's Madden reveals?

Game: Madden NFL 18Hype Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 9 - View All
Member Comments
# 81 NateDogPack12 @ 05/17/17 12:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
Since when?

Look at some of the news stories here. We've had wishlists forever.

I've been here a long time, I've never known this board to only be a discussion of information available and if that's the case it's news to me.

I've always understood it to be a place where we shared opinions, ideas, and thoughts. Those might not always be tied simply to only the things we know.

I agree with everything you said here. Wish lists are a lot of fun and I make one every year! In context, my post was in reply to someone who I felt unfairly called out people for preemptively sharing an opinion about Madden based on limited information. My point was that this is a place where we discuss and analyze the information available to us, and when more is available, it's ok if opinions change, as opposed to having to call someone out because they did not support / berate the game from the beginning.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

# 82 roadman @ 05/17/17 12:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NateDogPack12
I agree with everything you said here. Wish lists are a lot of fun and I make one every year! In context, my post was in reply to someone who I felt unfairly called out people for preemptively sharing an opinion about Madden based on limited information. My point was that this is a place where we discuss and analyze the information available to us, and when more is available, it's ok if opinions change, as opposed to having to call someone out because they did not support / berate the game from the beginning.

I feel it's important to note that if people want to make an analysis one way or the other on only the information that is available at the time, the poster should be aware there will be a lot more information released at EA Play and blogs down the road.

Some posters are new and some posters won't state in their post they know more info is coming down the road, whatever side of the fence they are coming from.

Nothing has been mentioned about CFM at this point. Some people jump to a far conclusion immediately that because of the new story mode, there will no CFM additions.

I think we all know that there will be some additions to CFM, even without mentioning anything up front.

Your guess would be as good as mine as how much of an addition will be added.

# 83 NateDogPack12 @ 05/17/17 12:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I feel it's important to note that if people want to make an analysis one way or the other on only the information that is available at the time, the poster should be aware there will be a lot more information released at EA Play and blogs down the road.

Some posters are new and some posters won't state in their post they know more info is coming down the road, whatever side of the fence they are coming from.

Nothing has been mentioned about CFM at this point. Some people jump to a far conclusion immediately that because of the new story mode, there will no CFM additions.

I think we all know that there will be some additions to CFM, even without mentioning anything up front.

Your guess would be as good as mine as how much of an addition will be added.

Ya the whole thing about nothing being done to CFM emanated from that "Takeaway" article that was front page + sticky a week or so back. That kind of pushed the idea that nothing good was coming for CFM into the mainstream and there were some overreactions.

# 84 DeuceDouglas @ 05/17/17 01:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Just to add to this, even after we get information it's important to just take it for what it is and not get too high or too low on anything because it's usually never as good or as bad as it initially seems. Sometimes it can be but the feature deep dives and preview articles still will never tell the whole story. Last year, just off the top of my head we got the first screenshot of 17 and people immediately thought there was no new equipment and we ended up with a lot of new equipment. A GC said that the new kick meter would have no latency online which ended up not being true. There was an article where EA stated that all 300 rookies at the combine were scanned and ready to go in 17 and that wasn't true either. Nothing is really ever final until the game drops in August.

# 85 Greenblood60 @ 05/17/17 06:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
It made the game immediately and obviously less visually appealing and damaged authenticity of presentation by projecting a giant flashlight cone onto the field.
I don't see why people freaked out about the "giant flashlight cone" visual cue, as if there aren't other visual cues. EA could have made the cone dimmer, or found some way to lessen the effect if it was that bothersome to people

Quote:
It made the game's controls unnecessarily complicated for new players (even moreso than they already are). It artificially increased the difficulty of the game for all players without dramatically increasing authenticity of gameplay or skill ceiling.
I don't what's so complicated about holding the R2 button and tapping the corresponding button twice to throw the ball. To be honest, it nullified the the difference between higher vs. lower awareness ratings because ( for me at least, and the people I played against ) it eliminated the intended handicap smaller coned qbs were supposed to have. What it forced me to do is look off defenders when I was playing head to head, which is realistic.

# 86 OhMrHanky @ 05/17/17 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenblood60
I don't see why people freaked out about the "giant flashlight cone" visual cue, as if there aren't other visual cues. EA could have made the cone dimmer, or found some way to lessen the effect if it was that bothersome to people

I don't what's so complicated about holding the R2 button and tapping the corresponding button twice to throw the ball. To be honest, it nullified the the difference between higher vs. lower awareness ratings because ( for me at least, and the people I played against ) it eliminated the intended handicap smaller coned qbs were supposed to have. What it forced me to do is look off defenders when I was playing head to head, which is realistic.

Forget that R2+double tap, I LOVED using the right stick for that. I think back at that time, the right stick wasn't being used for the QB at all, so it made sense to map it there, and it allowed for the flexibility of scanning the field. It was 1 extra thing to do, but in real life, as a QB, u have to have your head on a swivel. U have to feel the pass rush, and move slightly in the pocket while keeping your eyes downfield. The cone did that!! And, I loved looking safeties off and KNOWING I was looking safeties off by looking left, and timing my look back to the right on a fly pattern and BOOM! TD!!! Yeah, it took a few games to get used to, but as a football game, I felt this actually did replicate some intricate things that a QB does. If u have a 4th and 3, and have to go for a quick slant, hey, u might want to focus on the primary the whole way to get a good pass off, but it also allows the defender to maybe see where you're throwing. I mean, I could go on and on with specific examples of how the cone actually fleshed out different situations. And, the simple fact that Peyton's cone was YUGE!!! And, my Falcons Mike Vick (back in his early days, he wasn't the most accurate QB) had a sliver of a cone. Lol. I took pride in skillfully whipping that cone around to the correct WR and hitting him. The more I think of this, the more I want that damn cone back!!!! Lol. BRING BACK THE CONE!! BRING BACK THE CONE!!!! [emoji6][emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 87 Ueauvan @ 05/17/17 08:38 AM
i play coach mode offline cfm, setting up sliders and team schemes as per Josh's thread.

having set out how i play for context:

authentic - if a play is started before 2 min drill, inbounds or outbounds on catch i believe the coach has to challenge if they want to reverse even if the clock stops say @ 1 min 58 secs. so im playing last night and this happens, i can't challenge and then the booth reviews and overturns in my favour. i think i should have to challenge?

holy roller rule ie fumbling in last xx of half cant be recovered by someone other than the fumbler. is that in?

i cant catch a kickoff that is just landing in bounds by stepping out and catching creating a penalty ala Packers

big decisions, never used it ... ever. i think i know i have to make decsions most arent big and if i have a player who im paying large money could injure worse by playing early i wont play them. as an aside (havent seen it) concussion injuries do they happen and i hope you are never prompted for early return

i loved madden 08 on pc but havent played with mods as im dense with my newer pc and how to install the modes etc.

# 88 OhMrHanky @ 05/17/17 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ueauvan
i play coach mode offline cfm, setting up sliders and team schemes as per Josh's thread.

having set out how i play for context:

authentic - if a play is started before 2 min drill, inbounds or outbounds on catch i believe the coach has to challenge if they want to reverse even if the clock stops say @ 1 min 58 secs. so im playing last night and this happens, i can't challenge and then the booth reviews and overturns in my favour. i think i should have to challenge?

holy roller rule ie fumbling in last xx of half cant be recovered by someone other than the fumbler. is that in?

i cant catch a kickoff that is just landing in bounds by stepping out and catching creating a penalty ala Packers

big decisions, never used it ... ever. i think i know i have to make decsions most arent big and if i have a player who im paying large money could injure worse by playing early i wont play them. as an aside (havent seen it) concussion injuries do they happen and i hope you are never prompted for early return

i loved madden 08 on pc but havent played with mods as im dense with my newer pc and how to install the modes etc.

Concussions? No, they're not in the game. That would be too realistic. [emoji6]. But, seriously, the NFL won't let concussions be in the game. Tarnishes the brand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 89 CM Hooe @ 05/17/17 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenblood60
No one "freaked out". Rather it was immediately ugly and obviously made the game look silly. There is no argument at all for the visual appearance of the cone being authentic to an on-air NFL broadcast. That observed valid criticism is not "freaking out".

Second, it is not comparable to other UI helper prompts and visual cues which have no affect on gameplay if disabled; to use the cone, you must know where the cone is, you must be able to see it, you must look at the ugly thing.

Specifically, it is very different from Tackle Cone in that respect. Tackle Cone is a visual aid to help new players learn the distances for attempting conservative and aggressive tackles. An advanced user may disable Tackle Cone once he learns when and how to tackle and still succeed at tackling; the Tackle Cone is never necessary to succeed at tackling. There was no analogous usability with the Vision Cone; if you take the flashlight away, you can't see where the QB is "looking" to determine if you will throw an accurate pass, and thus you can't use it.

Quote:
I don't what's so complicated about holding the R2 button and tapping the corresponding button twice to throw the ball.
The mechanic literally got in the way of success in the passing game without offering any immediate gameplay benefit.

That second button tap is the difference between getting the pass off in a tight window and an interception. That second tap is the difference between getting the pass out before protection breaks down and a sack.

If you were using the R-stick instead, that delay is instead mechanically enforced by the significant fractions of a second it takes for you to move your right stick from the face buttons to the R-Stick (because you must press A / X to snap the ball and start the play) then back to the face buttons to throw the pass (because you must use the R-Stick to manipulate the cone first to ensure you throw an accurate pass).

All of this was necessary to achieve the same function a user could accomplish with a single button press the previous year - press one button, the pass is thrown. The Vision Cone added unnecessary steps to achieve the same result as the previous year while adding more failure states (throwing to a receiver not in the cone resulted in a wildly inaccurate pass). The mechanic dramatically raised the skill floor of the game (making the game harder to learn for new players as more steps were required to succeed at performing basic actions) without increasing the skill ceiling (the end result of successfully using the Vision Cone was the exact same as not using it at all the year before; an accurate pass in the direction of a receiver).

Quote:
What it forced me to do is look off defenders when I was playing head to head, which is realistic.
For many people that one benefit does not outweigh the many drawbacks I've laid out above.

Compare the vision cone and its drawbacks to every Madden game before or since where all I have to do to throw a pass is tap or hold a face button and it instantly happens. No, my QB doesn't have to "see" the open receiver as with the vision cone, but this control scheme is immediately more responsive (I press one button and the ball is thrown) and immediately more mechanically intuitive (no bouncing back and forth between the right stick and face buttons). In addition, I'm already reading the coverage with my own two eyes anyway, so requiring my in-game QB avatar to also do so was redundant.

To circle this back to the topic at hand - Madden NFL 18 - I speculate that the new Target Passing mechanic will be built in such a way where the game is still playable at a basic level without touching it at all (i.e. it may not be as dramatic departure from face button passing as the name implies), but the best players will leverage the new mechanics to throw their receivers open, throw back shoulder fades, etc. etc. in ways which were not possible in previous Madden games. Something which pushes the game more towards the easy-to-learn hard-to-master direction the game has been trending the past couple years.

# 90 adembroski @ 05/17/17 03:58 PM
Quote:
No one "freaked out"..
I did. I was committed and needed a decade of therapy. I'm better now though.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Operation Sports mobile app

# 91 Greenblood60 @ 05/17/17 05:49 PM
Quote:
To circle this back to the topic at hand - Madden NFL 18 - I speculate that the new Target Passing mechanic will be built in such a way where the game is still playable at a basic level without touching it at all (i.e. it may not be as dramatic departure from face button passing as the name implies), but the best players will leverage the new mechanics to throw their receivers open, throw back shoulder fades, etc. etc. in ways which were not possible in previous Madden games. Something which pushes the game more towards the easy-to-learn hard-to-master direction the game has been trending the past couple years.
I'm 100% certain that we'll be able to pass the ball the way we can in M17. There's no way EA is going to impose this new passing system onto users ( and risk alienating them ). What I hope is that the target passing gives the user who uses it a significant advantage over the person who doesn't ( like we'll be able to carve people up in ways that just isn't possible with traditional passing ).

# 92 patsfan188 @ 05/18/17 08:44 AM
I am very excited for the target passing (assuming it is programmed correctly). I think it could really make receivers who don't have lightning speed, to succeed. I think guys like Amendola & Hogan on the patriots can actually be useful in gameplay, since they guys that excel at sitting in zones and finding those spaces, not your typical speed receivers. Of course, I am sure at the end of the day that speed will still be biggest threat for a receiver.

# 93 Americas Team @ 05/19/17 10:39 PM
I hope Frostbite allows for them to add custom camera angle options. All I want to do is be able to lower the normal camera so that's it's more behind the Qb instead of above the Qb like it is now, basically a mix between the normal and zoom camera angle.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.