Home
NBA Live 18 News Post

Some of the more popular YouTubers were invited to attend a private NBA Live 18 party and posted some quick videos. For the most part, they are video blogs on their experience at the event, along with a few glimpses of action.

We will probably see a few more trickle in throughout the week, so keep your eyes open, as we wait for more announcements leading up to EA Play in June.

JesserTheLazer

DenkOps - Chris Denker

UberYouTuber

Scomo

Game: NBA Live 18Hype Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 2 - View All
Member Comments
# 81 ataman5 @ 05/25/17 05:06 AM
That reverse layup by Kyrie can be blocked by a 5 years old boy.

The animations look really off.

# 82 Smirkin Dirk @ 05/25/17 06:05 AM
Firstly, YT is becoming excruciating.

Im pretty positive on what I saw. The animations look smoother to me. Was any written info released?

And the best thing about Live? Those beautiful net and rim physics.

# 83 Macs Power @ 05/25/17 06:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smirkin Dirk
Firstly, YT is becoming excruciating.

Im pretty positive on what I saw. The animations look smoother to me. Was any written info released?

And the best thing about Live? Those beautiful net and rim physics.
I can't find it but from what a few youtubers said they were told by the people at EA, they claimed that there's an all new dribbling system that you have all the control in. To counter that ,the defense has this timing system where if you time your moves right (I think they're alluding to the angles), you can negate the offenses dribbling moves

They also said they reworked the post and that there much more moves. Emphasis on size and strength as a factor in the post

Something to do with signature moves for players. That's probably for the bigger names. If most or all of the big names have signature moves that would be cool

That's about all I can remember them claiming

# 84 Smirkin Dirk @ 05/25/17 06:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macs Power
I can't find it but from what a few youtubers said they were told by the people at EA, they claimed that there's an all new dribbling system that you have all the control in. To counter that ,the defense has this timing system where if you time your moves right (I think they're alluding to the angles), you can negate the offenses dribbling moves

They also said they reworked the post and that there much more moves. Emphasis on size and strength as a factor in the post

Something to do with signature moves for players. That's probably for the bigger names. If most or all of the big names have signature moves that would be cool

That's about all I can remember them claiming
Thanks for the info. Im pretty keen to see more of this game, and I havent said that about Live in over 10 years.

# 85 Goffs @ 05/25/17 06:58 AM
Looks good to me. I look forward to playing it early through EA access.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

# 86 KidHypeTellem @ 05/25/17 08:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerdBrown
Frostbite...

Ignite...

What are these and how will these affect my buying decision? Any examples of other sports titles using either of these?

Those are graphics engines. Frostbite engine comes from the battlefield series. Ignite was/is the engine certain games were using to start this generation.

First of the big EA sports games to crossover to Frostbite was FIFA 17. Madden 18 will be using it for the first time this year.

It really only effects the visuals. Gameplay of FIFA 17 for example was not much different from FIFA 16 which was on ignite engine.

Sent from my iPad using Operation Sports

# 87 DonWuan @ 05/25/17 08:03 AM
Honestly if they put work into the defense and post game im sold. Spacing is the biggest pro with nba live. Bring some type of Franchise mode and im good to go.

Online play actually works and I had a blast playing online. Something I havent touched since Micheal Redd was in the league.

# 88 Black Bruce Wayne @ 05/25/17 08:21 AM
I hope it's a good game this time. The last Live wasn't terrible but it just needed polish. Hopefully this year it's gets the polish.

See, I'm a old school sports gamer back from a time when their were multiple sports titles and non of the flaming nonsense.

I looked forward to all the titles if they were good. I hate the toxicity of "2k sucks " or "Live sucks". Cut that out. You want both games to be good and do well. I have no problem buying both.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

# 89 FerdBrown @ 05/25/17 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHypeTellem
Those are graphics engines. Frostbite engine comes from the battlefield series. Ignite was/is the engine certain games were using to start this generation.

First of the big EA sports games to crossover to Frostbite was FIFA 17. Madden 18 will be using it for the first time this year.

It really only effects the visuals. Gameplay of FIFA 17 for example was not much different from FIFA 16 which was on ignite engine.

Sent from my iPad using Operation Sports

Ok if it's just cosmetics I don't mind. With or without it.

# 90 Nemesis Enforcer @ 05/25/17 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Bruce Wayne
I hope it's a good game this time. The last Live wasn't terrible but it just needed polish. Hopefully this year it's gets the polish.

See, I'm a old school sports gamer back from a time when their were multiple sports titles and non of the flaming nonsense.

I looked forward to all the titles if they were good. I hate the toxicity of "2k sucks " or "Live sucks". Cut that out. You want both games to be good and do well. I have no problem buying both.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Especially when the same people been ragging on Live since 09 every year about animations when a live clip is released. After 10 years maybe you just don't prefer it and are biased against live.

# 91 Gosens6 @ 05/25/17 10:26 AM
I want this game to be good, I really do, but I can't sugarcoat it, nothing about the trailer looked good to me.

It's like all the players are moving in slow motion, robotic and unnatural ways. I peeped the screenshots and they look BEAUTIFUL. Once the game gets into motion is where it seems they run into trouble.

Those are my observations from the gameplay clips we got, I'll reserve more judgment until we get more info and actual 5v5 gameplay videos. I want to be able to buy two basketball games again, but as others said, I can't spend money on mediocrity no matter how badly I want them to succeed.

Look forward to more information in the coming months.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

# 92 JBulls @ 05/25/17 11:25 AM
Uh oh, here we go again with the weird robot looking animations. I'm beginning to wonder if this is ever going to get fixed, it's been a problem for years.

# 93 FerdBrown @ 05/25/17 11:49 AM
I think it's best to reserve judgment once the game is out and I spent maybe at least 10 hours of gameplay. I would say, in my opinion, that a couple of teaser snapshots and sneak peek videos here and there may not speak for the whole game.

What I found successful though is a sneaky marketing campaign that gets people talking about the game even before it's out. By that measure alone, the marketing budget may have succeeded in generating buzz.

# 94 The 24th Letter @ 05/25/17 11:50 AM
Look at Mass Effect Andromeda- my favorite franchise...a game that EA just announced theyre abandoning...and a game way better than its given credit for...

A consistent best selling game got slaughtered primarily because of wonky visuals..it doesnt matter that a guy like me couldnt care less about it....

NBA Live is not Mass Effect.

Fans of the franchise should put this in perspective and hope for improvement...

# 95 aholbert32 @ 05/25/17 11:56 AM
Quote:
I think it's best to reserve judgment once the game is out and I spent maybe at least 10 hours of gameplay. I would say, in my opinion, that a couple of teaser snapshots and sneak peek videos here and there may not speak for the whole game.

What I found successful though is a sneaky marketing campaign that gets people talking about the game even before it's out. By that measure alone, the marketing budget may have succeeded in generating buzz.
EA always does this with Live. Same thing happened with 16. They dropped Live info around E3 with some screenshots and clips. The response was about 50/50 which is how it is now. Live kept dropping stuff during the summer, than 2k dropped info in August.....and most people stopped caring about Live.

The problem with Live is always going to be depth. There are things I love about Live like the sound, arenas and the fact that there is more control. The reason I never buy it (and just wait until its released on Access) is because they are so far behind on the other features. I'm an offline player and EA's franchise mode offers maybe 40% of what 2k's does.

Even with all my frustrations with 2k's gameplay at time, its hard for me to go back to a franchise mode that only allows me to control 1 team, limits the edits i can make to players, does allow me to control substitution patterns etc.

So instead of focusing solely on graphics and gameplay, EA needs to play catchup with some of the features of its game modes.

# 96 aholbert32 @ 05/25/17 11:59 AM
Quote:
Frostbite...

Ignite...

What are these and how will these affect my buying decision? Any examples of other sports titles using either of these?
I think Fifa 17 used Frostbite.

# 97 scottyp180 @ 05/25/17 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by noshun
Meant to post this here, not the screenshot thread.

You can def see the same ole live as far as movement in that short clip is concerned. the stiffness, semi floatiness is still there. Hardens crossover, and Kyries layup are good examples of Live legacy issues. I do see improvements. Its doesn't jump at me enough to say its on a level that 2K is at, or something we haven't seen from that distinguishes itself from 2K's movement. Better but still "Live"..
Well said. I don't understand why their animations tend to look robotic and unnatural. Some animations look better than others but there is still stiffness and floatiness that makes the movement look off. It surprises me that after all these years they havent yet solved that issue. I feel like out of all the EA sports titles it is most evident in Live, perhaps because it is the most animation heavy of all the sports.

With that said there are definitely improvements here. Graphics look really good, though I would need to see legitimate gameplay footage to accurately judge the visuals. While the animations still look a bit awkward I do like the variety from the short clips that were shown.

For me the big things will be how does the game control and feel and does it play a good, accurate game of basketball. I can look past the animations if the controls are good and the game of basketball is well represented.

# 98 apollon42 @ 05/25/17 12:33 PM
EA has something off with their mo-cap. Madden has a similar problem. Madden always looks great in screenshots. It looks bad when the game starts moving. The animations on 2k are lifelike and the players move like their real life counterparts. The animations here still look like robots playing basketball. The players also look off. They don't look real or lifelike.

# 99 scottyp180 @ 05/25/17 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macs Power
Kuda got to break down some the footage the people who went to the event saw + the new features the dev team have developed. Interested about how the post is "completely different" and that size and strength is a true factor. What was REALLY nice to hear was that they said defenders won't slide and that you need to know how to defend in order to stop a experienced ball handler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZvjAFBj0Zw

Of course, it's just an opinion and regular people need to play before we find out, but the post play needed a big improvement and it's good to see it was addressed (apparently)
Not to discredit their impressions but I can't trust everything that's said. When EA did a similar thing with Live 16 there was a lot of praise being thrown at the game and while the game wasn't bad, it wasn't great either. I don't really expect to hear accurate and honest opinions from people that were flown out to an event, received some free stuff, and got a early look at a game. I mean are these people really going to turn around and say bad things if they want to be invited to such events again?

# 100 Crunky @ 05/25/17 12:38 PM
The player height differential looks off, Deandre Jordan should be towering over Victor Oladipo.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.