Home
NBA Live 18 News Post

Some of the more popular YouTubers were invited to attend a private NBA Live 18 party and posted some quick videos. For the most part, they are video blogs on their experience at the event, along with a few glimpses of action.

We will probably see a few more trickle in throughout the week, so keep your eyes open, as we wait for more announcements leading up to EA Play in June.

JesserTheLazer

DenkOps - Chris Denker

UberYouTuber

Scomo

Game: NBA Live 18Hype Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS4 / Xbox OneVotes for game: 2 - View All
Member Comments
# 101 FerdBrown @ 05/25/17 12:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyp180
Not to discredit their impressions but I can't trust everything that's said. When EA did a similar thing with Live 16 there was a lot of praise being thrown at the game and while the game wasn't bad, it wasn't great either. I don't really expect to hear accurate and honest opinions from people that were flown out to an event, received some free stuff, and got a early look at a game. I mean are these people really going to turn around and say bad things if they want to be invited to such events again?

Do you hire influencers for free?

# 102 aholbert32 @ 05/25/17 12:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyp180
Not to discredit their impressions but I can't trust everything that's said. When EA did a similar thing with Live 16 there was a lot of praise being thrown at the game and while the game wasn't bad, it wasn't great either. I don't really expect to hear accurate and honest opinions from people that were flown out to an event, received some free stuff, and got a early look at a game. I mean are these people really going to turn around and say bad things if they want to be invited to such events again?
All of those opinions should be taken with a grain of salt. Its tough to judge the game fairly in that environment. You are playing a game thats likely still a beta. You are playing against all sorts of people from hardcore sports gamers to writers from magazines/websites who have never played the game. Also the team is flooding you with positive info about the game. We should never expect negative takes from a place like that.

# 103 scottyp180 @ 05/25/17 12:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
All of those opinions should be taken with a grain of salt. Its tough to judge the game fairly in that environment. You are playing a game thats likely still a beta. You are playing against all sorts of people from hardcore sports gamers to writers from magazines/websites who have never played the game. Also the team is flooding you with positive info about the game. We should never expect negative takes from a place like that.
Agree. I'm not blaming the people that went to the event are giving their impressions either. I'd imagine it is difficult to leave such an event and main an objective, unbias opinion.

# 104 TecmoZack @ 05/25/17 01:12 PM
If you look up the past Live titles reveal trailers on youtube back in the PS1/Ps2 days a simple comment can be made. NBA Live is NBA Live.

It's not trying to be the other game.

# 105 Hellquist @ 05/25/17 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Look at Mass Effect Andromeda- my favorite franchise...a game that EA just announced theyre abandoning...and a game way better than its given credit for...

A consistent best selling game got slaughtered primarily because of wonky visuals..it doesnt matter that a guy like me couldnt care less about it....

NBA Live is not Mass Effect.

Fans of the franchise should put this in perspective and hope for improvement...

I love Mass Effect: Andromeda. I read all the reviews and impressions online but I pre-ordered it weeks before the issues. It's really fun for me. Not the best game ever but every game doesn't have to be.

I'm impressed with Live 18 so far. I grew up with Live just like everyone else, so it's going to always be nostalgic for me. Live 16 was fun until the patches. I hope they have a demo like before. I can't wait for EA Play.

I'm going to support this game no matter what. EA used to be king. They will bounce back. I am happy they haven't given up on this franchise. They are not giving up. I'm not going to give up on them.

# 106 cthurt @ 05/25/17 01:54 PM
I have to say the video didn't impress me movement wise, which sucks because thats the main thing I wanted to look better, but it's still early. I am more of the mindset that I want Live to at least be a solid game coming back into play I didn't expect it to take the throne over 2k in one year but just wanted NBA Live to keep its head above water so there will still be competition between the two games.

# 107 scottyp180 @ 05/25/17 02:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cthurt
I have to say the video didn't impress me movement wise, which sucks because thats the main thing I wanted to look better, but it's still early. I am more of the mindset that I want Live to at least be a solid game coming back into play I didn't expect it to take the throne over 2k in one year but just wanted NBA Live to keep its head above water so there will still be competition between the two games.
Unfortunately I feel like this has been the stance of a lot of people since Live 14. Live 16 actually wasnt bad gameplay wise, not great either, but the lack of depth and other features hurt the experience for many. Hopefully this game adds a lot of missing features and modes and is an improvement on the court as well. I don't think anyone expects Live 18 to be the best basketball game on the market this year but it should atleast offer a fun and enjoyable alternative to 2k.

# 108 outkaz79 @ 05/25/17 02:10 PM
Graphics were never the main issue
issue it was the gameplay

# 109 Gosens6 @ 05/25/17 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TecmoZack
If you look up the past Live titles reveal trailers on youtube back in the PS1/Ps2 days a simple comment can be made. NBA Live is NBA Live.

It's not trying to be the other game.

This isn't about the "other" game. It seems like only NBA live fans bring up the "other" game when it comes to trying to defend some of Lives shortcomings.

This isn't about Live trying to be 2K. This is about Live delivering a solid basketball title to the masses. Forget 2K. Carve your own niche, be innovative, do something great.

Let's not use 2K as a scapegoat every time someone criticizes something in Live. Honestly, we are ALL NBA live fans, or we wouldn't be in this forum.

I remember first playing Live 95 on the NES and instantly falling in love with the franchise. It had many many many many solid years, with Live 10 being it's peak IMO. There are reasons they can't go back to the formula they used in Live 10, but you're not going to tell me the guys making this game are incapable of putting out another classic basketball title. (Maybe they're not, but I don't want to push that speculation)

Live 16 was a solid foundation, it just had way too many fundamental basketball issues for it to be a great game, sans the animation issues. I want Live to succeed, as does everyone in this thread. Let's not make it a 2K vs Live thing because that's the ultimate cop out.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

# 110 NINJAK2 @ 05/25/17 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoughtuhadme
All ya'll are crazy who think this was anything but fantastic and where did you get confirmation that there is no frostebite engine in this game. I have heard more that it is then it not. Stop hating and wait to play the game, if I take a 2k clip and pause it I bet you I can find something looking awkward, and look at the Danny green picture the ball is not even on the screen so he is in the process of looking to see if the shot went in...Just wait for the EA play to see some 5 on 5 and then leave comments about whatever you see in a negative fashion. This here looks great to me and I am excited about a game that is going to be a vast improvement from Live 16.

It's called opinion man. Just as you are voicing your opinion that what was shown was great, others are voicing their opinions which may differ from yours. One's mental stability has nothing to do with it. I'm looking forward to seeing more of Live 18 and you are right that we should wait to see more before reaching a final decision. You should not act oblivious to the fact that people make judgments on trailers just as we judge whether we want to see a movie based on 1-2 minute trailer...

# 111 TreJayMMA @ 05/25/17 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmakers
This always gets mention (it's an old build) and when the game releases nothing has changed from the old build video to release day gameplay.

Go back and pull up every thread prior to Live releasing for the past 5-6 years and you'll find the same response "This must be a earlier build" by those who immediately try to defend the animations or player movement

You guys have to understand it's not a crime to let EA know ahead of the time their animations still look SUSPECT AT BEST.......

If you keep trying to justify the player movement they (EA) will keep delivering a bad game from a animation perspective

Their track is proven that the games just don't animate properly so we can't just sit around and say don't worry "It's just and old build"

That stuff doesn't fly anymore especially based on their history
Thats the exact word I was looking for to describe some people in this thread.

Justify.

Too many people try to justify EA's flaws because that's how much they want an alternative to 2k. Which is understandable. But why not let EA know their flaws and give constructive feedback so EA can try to give you guys what you want?

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

# 112 TeamHawkins @ 05/25/17 02:59 PM
Player models look terrible. All the arms look weird and the elbows are too pointy.

# 113 Quentin32 @ 05/25/17 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoughtuhadme
All ya'll are crazy who think this was anything but fantastic and where did you get confirmation that there is no frostebite engine in this game. I have heard more that it is then it not. Stop hating and wait to play the game, if I take a 2k clip and pause it I bet you I can find something looking awkward, and look at the Danny green picture the ball is not even on the screen so he is in the process of looking to see if the shot went in...Just wait for the EA play to see some 5 on 5 and then leave comments about whatever you see in a negative fashion. This here looks great to me and I am excited about a game that is going to be a vast improvement from Live 16.
U mad or nah?

# 114 TecmoZack @ 05/25/17 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosens6
This isn't about the "other" game. It seems like only NBA live fans bring up the "other" game when it comes to trying to defend some of Lives shortcomings.

This isn't about Live trying to be 2K. This is about Live delivering a solid basketball title to the masses. Forget 2K. Carve your own niche, be innovative, do something great.

Let's not use 2K as a scapegoat every time someone criticizes something in Live. Honestly, we are ALL NBA live fans, or we wouldn't be in this forum.

I remember first playing Live 95 on the NES and instantly falling in love with the franchise. It had many many many many solid years, with Live 10 being it's peak IMO. There are reasons they can't go back to the formula they used in Live 10, but you're not going to tell me the guys making this game are incapable of putting out another classic basketball title. (Maybe they're not, but I don't want to push that speculation)

Live 16 was a solid foundation, it just had way too many fundamental basketball issues for it to be a great game, sans the animation issues. I want Live to succeed, as does everyone in this thread. Let's not make it a 2K vs Live thing because that's the ultimate cop out.

Agreed. Comparisons need to be to 16. As fans having visions and wanting something is our right. I want a playable game that delivers fun. So far I like what I see.

# 115 Crunky @ 05/25/17 04:22 PM
It might not beat the competition but the question we should ask ourselves is it good enough I believe so.

# 116 ForeverVersatile @ 05/25/17 04:42 PM
The player models look like action figures and animations still look very stiff. If the players weren't updated i wouldn't see the difference between 16 and 18.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 117 TecmoZack @ 05/25/17 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGaryColeman
Why not focus on fluid animations/movement instead of trying to compete with 2k's face/texture graphics? 2k screws a lot of things up, but they have beautiful graphics that Live shouldn't even try to compete with.

Look at Zelda on Nintendo Switch... those graphics are low end PS4 graphics, but the quality of animation/movement/presentation make up for it.
Love me some Breath of the Wild.

# 118 NELL86 @ 05/25/17 05:17 PM
Please basketball Gods let this be good cause 2k has going drasticly down the last few years or I will just not have a hoop game this year

# 119 TreJayMMA @ 05/25/17 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunky
It might not beat the competition but the question we should ask ourselves is it good enough I believe so.
Good enough isnt/shouldn't be acceptable.

Especially when they're charging the price of a more than 'Good enough' game should cost

# 120 roadman @ 05/25/17 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreJayMMA
Good enough isnt/shouldn't be acceptable.

Especially when they're charging the price of a more than 'Good enough' game should cost

I don't have a horse in this race because I haven't played Live since the PC days, maybe 2007 at the latest.

Isn't the above subjective, though?

What's good enough for 60 bucks for one person isn't good enough for someone else?

It's all about game play for me and for someone else, animations or franchise mode is more important for them.

By the way it appears lately, the online esports crowd seems to growing by numbers and seems to get the lionshare of attention.

I'm in wait and see mode for Live, but understand the frustrations of the animations.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.