Home
Preview
NCAA Football 11 Preview (Xbox 360)

The NCAA series used to be my favorite sports franchise. I use the past tense because ever since the series came to current-gen consoles the gameplay quality and presentation values have taken steps backwards, culminating in the extremely disappointing NCAA Football 10.

So my mission was clear at this preview event in New York: track down those responsible for the development of the series, ask them the tough questions that the OS faithful expect and see just what was so special about this year's version of the game, especially after years of disappointment.

But before I go any further, I wanted to bring up one thing. In today’s world of yearly sports releases of varying quality, it is quite easy to scapegoat a developer or producer, placing the blame on those particular individuals for the quality of their aforementioned game. Our forum users here at OS have a somewhat notorious reputation for holding development teams to somewhat impossible standards at times -- just look at the 180-degree turn in excitement for NCAA 11 after the initial "gameplay" video was posted on site.

After meeting developers Ben Haumiller, Russ Kiniry and the new series executive producer, Roy Harvey, I can tell you that they have taken the criticism of the series and the passion of the fans to heart. For those of you who do not know, Harvey joined the series just as NCAA 10 was released, and his message to me was the same message he preached to his team throughout NCAA 11’s continual development cycle: make sure the core on-field gameplay and college atmosphere are the best to ever be found in a video game.

Ben, Russ, and Roy spent hours talking with me, answering questions and taking me through many of the improvements and surprises NCAA 11 has in store. They came off as huge fans of college football and seem determined to right the ship and deliver a hit with NCAA Football 11.

It is also important to mention that all three informed me that the initial gameplay video was not meant to have ever been released. This was an internal video from a pre-alpha build of the game that was mistakenly released to the public via an internal hiccup.

Regardless of the mix up, everyone take a deep breath and erase the video from memory because after spending two days scrutinizing the current build -- and getting several hours of actual gameplay in with NCAA Football 11 -- it seems like this title could make a lot of die-hard fans of the series very happy come July.

NCAA Football may just be back in a big way.

Gameplay Improvements

Locomotion

Many people already know that this year's game includes the highly touted player locomotion system. What everyone does not know is how successfully this locomotion system is implemented into the game. The best way I can describe it is to simply say that the players just "feel right." With appropriate weight shifts occurring after initiating jukes and spin moves, this system should make the days of turning on a dime with players that felt like paper a thing of the past.

The locomotion system also feels good in execution because the game speed has been slowed from the breakneck pace found in NCAA 10. For those who prefer the faster game speeds, do not fret, there is an option included to increase the speed by two levels if deemed necessary. To me, the default game speed was perfect in the build I played (it is a bit faster than Madden 10's default), and really allowed me to appreciate the new locomotion engine.

The locomotion engine shines even more when it comes to the game's running animations. Who can forget the frequent "hitch" steps that would persist on long runs in previous versions of the series? Ben and Russ explained to me that this was the result of certain running animations being looped together, causing this "hitch" to occur as the loop reset itself. The locomotion engine completely rewrote player movement in the game, and the result is a control experience unlike any football game to date -- agility and acceleration actually mean something now, with high speed ratings taking a backseat to player skills (as they should).

This locomotion engine translates to defense as well by allowing users more control of their respective player. It also seems to have eliminated the magnetic attraction to blockers that has plagued EA football games for years. The defensive locomotion has also tweaked the efficiency of the hit stick, making big hits a lot harder and more rewarding to pull off.

I think Roy put it best when he told me that you can watch as many gameplay videos as you want and try to critique the locomotion system, but until you actually get your hands on the game and "feel" the difference the mechanics make, you will not fully understand. I honestly could not agree more with this statement, especially after my extended time with the game.

Dual-Analog Stick Moves

The right stick is now used to control your player's upper torso. Just as with Madden 11’s dual-analog control, NCAA 11 allows for a whole new repertoire of ball-carrier moves. Russ showed me my personal favorite new move: the ability to have your player lean back, arch his back and high step a bit to shake off a tackler attempting to track him down from behind, which was all accomplished with a subtle movement of the right stick in the back direction coupled with pressing the left stick forward. The new moves definitely take some time to master, but after three or four games I was pulling off some highlight-reel moves.

Completely New Line Blocking AI

An even more significant gameplay improvement comes in the form of all new blocking assignment AI. In hopes of eliminating the OS Blocking Complaint threads, the AI blocking logic has been completely rewritten to eliminate suction blocking and make sure linemen are never standing still. Ben took me through a couple examples where a center would actively search out a man to block during pass protection. During these examples, I could see the center's head swiveling as he actively searched for the best person to block.

On the defensive side of the ball -- and as someone who plays exclusively as a lineman against the CPU -- I was extremely impressed with the line interaction. I was able to get heat on the opposing QB in realistic scenarios, and both power and finesse moves actually work this year, which should lead to far more potential sack opportunities and QB disruptions. It seems to finally be fun to be a lineman again.

CPU AI Enhancements

CPU AI is dramatically improved. Here are some quick hitters that should make the community very happy. First off, robo QB may just be thing of the past because I frequently saw weaker CPU quarterbacks overthrow or flat out miss a receiver.

The CPU run game also has to be experienced to be believed. I was amazed during the first game I played because the CPU was realistically hitting holes and, better yet, the CPU was using all the same right-stick moves that typically only human players pull off. The best part was that this was all on Varsity difficulty. When I made the mistake of cranking the difficulty up to Heisman in a Cincinnati (CPU) vs. Oregon game, Russ was laughing and praising the CPU AI as I lost the game 63-8. The best part was that I did not feel that I was destroyed by a line of code, rather the CPU actually outworked me in every facet of the game.

Presentation Improvements

120 Ways to Win

NCAA 11 is putting a huge emphasis on different team styles and playbooks, much like what the NCAA Basketball franchise was able to accomplish with their team-specific motion offenses. 120 Ways to Win is a tagline that describes the 120 different teams represented in the game and their different offensive styles.

Per Russ, the following main offensive styles are present in the game:

Spread
Air Raid
Option
Pro Style
One Back
Pistol
Run and Shoot
Multiple (Basically a variety of different styles)

The styles noted above are the main offensive categories represented in the game, and different teams will run different variations of these styles. For example, Michigan will run a spread offense, but it is a hurry-up spread that is intended to intimidate and confuse opponents. Each team received a lot of individual attention from Ben and Russ in the past few months, so if you are a fan of a team that recently changed offensive styles (like Notre Dame), expect to see that change in NCAA 11.

To touch again on the no huddle, one of the cooler things I experienced was that you are now able to select any play from your playbook as you rush to the line. In the past, you would be forced to audible into one of your preset plays if running a hurry-up offense, which put a major damper on a potential game-winning drive. Not only are you now able to select any play you want, but your team will realistically look to the sideline as the play is made just like you would see on a Saturday afternoon. This animation is one of the cooler things I have ever seen, and it just goes to show how dedicated the NCAA 11 team is this year when it comes to the authenticity within their "120 Ways to Win."

Improved Lighting = Improved Graphics

Simply put, NCAA 11’s visuals are gorgeous and much of that has to do with the all new lighting system. According to Ben, shadows are now more dynamic, allowing for much more realistic jersey graphics, skin tones and equipment on the player models. Just as an example, in the past games this generation, there was no way of differentiating between jerseys made of different materials. If you look closely at your copy of NCAA 10, you will see many teams with far "shinier" jerseys than they wear in real life. In NCAA 11, you are now clearly able to see teams with mesh jerseys (Auburn being an example), and differentiate them from something like a flashier Central Michigan jersey.

But as previously mentioned, the new lighting system makes everything look better, not just the jerseys. NCAA 11 is one of the better looking sports games I have seen this generation, and it is an enormous step up from last year's visuals.

Animations

Due to the revamping of the engine and addition of the locomotion system, I was stunned to see multiple player animations on runs, catches, tips, deflections, blocks and tackles that I have never seen before. After spending four years with NCAA this generation, I thought I had seen it all, and for the most part, the animations had all been pretty ugly.

NCAA 11 will change the game on this front because it is more closely replicating what you would see on any given Saturday. Gone are the hit-stick flips of NCAA 10, replaced now with more subtle wrap tackles. Linemen will jostle with one another, pushing each other forward and backwards realistically instead of getting stuck in an an "engaged" animation with one another. Defensive backs and linebackers will actually track balls with their eyes and attempt to make plays in a realistic fashion -- the old-blind-linebacker-magic-swat animation is seemingly out this year. Even cooler is seeing a player miss a tackle. For instance, a defender attempts to grab the ball carrier while out of position, but he loses his grip on the ball carrier as his body momentum attempts to catch up to his arms.

One particularly impressive animation that I experienced occurred during a two-point conversion. A Notre Dame receiver became open in the back of the end zone during this conversion attempt, but the pass was thrown a bit hot and in front of the receiver. So, the receiver reached out with one hand and made a fingertip catch, tiptoed along the back of the back of the end zone, pulled the ball into his body and regained his balance all in one sequence. I happened to be standing next to Russ when this happened, and he turned to me and said that even he had not seen that animation before.

The Little Things

Those obsessed with little details such as helmets, face masks and cleats should love what NCAA 11 brings to the table.

Jersey selection is amazing, and if you are a self-proclaimed jersey freak like myself, then be ready to get excited. The game includes the occasional NCAA-approved throwback jersey, like Oregon’s classic green and yellow combo, and also some alternate jerseys that people are going to be very happy to see (Tennessee’s Halloween black jerseys and Cincy’s white helmets for example). There is also more to this story, but I cannot go into too much more detail here due to an embargo.

One negative, however, is that there will be no bowl patches this year -- Roy has mentioned this is something they will most likely be integrating into NCAA 12 because there were bigger fish to fry this season.

Presentation

I have saved the best for last as NCAA 11’s presentation package is one of the best I have ever seen in a video game. There is a lot I cannot talk about because of the aforementioned embargo, but rest assured, there are some amazing things up EA’s sleeve.

The ESPN integration is jaw dropping, with real-time replay wipes that will select the most dynamic camera angle to highlight a specific play. But stat banners and cut scenes are my favorite part of the presentation because many are almost photo-realistic, especially the ones that include players trash talking with each other after a big play. Ben and Russ realized how much acclaim a game such as MLB 10: The Show has received for its attention to cut scenes, and they are out to prove that their title will be mentioned in the same sentence.

I am also very excited to let everyone know that authentic team-pregame entrances are back, and after seeing a couple in action, I have to say I was more than impressed. EA will be releasing a blog very soon detailing which entrances are in the game, so I do not want to steal their thunder. I will tell you this: what I saw in action was put together in such a way from a broadcast-presentation standpoint that I initially mistook it for a live game feed on a loading or intro screen.

Again, there are some very big things regarding presentation that I cannot talk about, so keep your eye on the EA blogs and here on OS as they are "officially" announced.

Final Thoughts

The last four years have been a very dark time for hardcore NCAA Football fans like myself. Every year, I have found myself playing and accepting the game because it was all that was available on the 360/PS3. So it is a relief to at least say that I am looking forward to this year's game, which is a feeling I have not experienced since NCAA Football 06.

I have only been away from the game for less than 24 hours as of the writing of this article, but I am already dying to play it some more. And I am not the only one either because at Wednesday’s Community Day Event there was a line of 2-3 people deep at times waiting to play the game, and it was easily the most buzzed about game in the two days I was in NYC.

In other words, NCAA Football 11's July 13 release date seems a lot further away now.

Feel free to send some questions my way via the forums or Twitter @Bumble14_OS

NCAA Football 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 141 Skyboxer @ 04/26/10 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
Edit: I was wrong. Madden still has turbo/sprint as an option. It's just off by default. Sorry.
Either way, being able to turn it off is SWEET!!!

# 142 jmik58 @ 04/26/10 12:22 PM
I just read the Madden Hands On article and was excited to hear that there was not going to be a turbo button in the game this year (by default). Did you get any indication for NCAA on this? I would love if this was also the case for NCAA. Both games are making similar adjustments to incorporate locomotion and speed/agility accurately, and removing (or having the option to turn off) the turbo button is a big step in the feel of accurate gameplay.

# 143 jmik58 @ 04/26/10 12:24 PM
Ignore my comment, I was going by the article and didn't feel like reading through 9 pages of comments. I see now that turbo is turned off by default in NCAA as well (according to a previous post). Awesome news!

# 144 Solidice @ 04/26/10 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmik58
Ignore my comment, I was going by the article and didn't feel like reading through 9 pages of comments. I see now that turbo is turned off by default in NCAA as well (according to a previous post). Awesome news!
by default the Turbo button is on in NCAA 11. the option is called "Auto-Turbo". so if it's on, then you no longer manually use the turbo button(like Madden 11's default) when off, you have to use the sprint button to go full speed. off is default for NCAA 11.

# 145 kg22 @ 04/26/10 01:55 PM
Does anyone know if the issue with conference invitations has been fixed in online dynasty mode? I know that in 09 and 10 you could not receive invitations for new conferences unless you took the dynasty offline.

# 146 noplace @ 04/26/10 02:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA1NT401
I NCAA11 dropping the "TURBO" button on the default settings as well like MADDEN (pray to GOD they are)?

I have been BEGGING for this for BOTH NCAA/MADDEN since like '02....Speed should ALWAYS be a GRADUAL increase based on acceleration and agility...Players are NEVER at full speed in like .002 seconds.
Exactly me too! This is how it should be and I wish they would just remove it permanently.

# 147 Jukeman @ 04/26/10 03:31 PM
Nice, The game just went from a no buy to rent(Madden too)

I just wann know if the "120 ways to win" applies to the defense as well...

Too much talk about the offensive side of things this year...(both games)

Maybe The game already have realistic defenses?
(havent played since 09)

I like the news about how Loco eliminated the suction blocking and with OL AI, my lineman wont spin around in a 360 before blocking someone...Lets wait and see on this...

# 148 noplace @ 04/26/10 04:20 PM
Defense is pretty much reactive to what the offense does. I don’t see how much more they can do on that side of the ball. They're already audibles in the game to adjust to what the offense is doing. They just need to get the assignments right and add more defensive strategies. Fixing the DL play with the ends will go along way on defense.

# 149 ODogg @ 04/26/10 04:49 PM
SAINT401 - I see your point, it works well in NHL not having it, but I think hockey players skating is a different way of accelerating than a person running on the football field. Having turbo simply allows you to accelerate the way any player could choose to accelerate very quickly for a brief period of time. The biggest flaw that I have with it though is that the CPU doesn't utilize it or at least doesn't utilize it correctly.

# 150 Rivals @ 04/26/10 05:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummer101er
Me too. Hearing the same stuff over and over kinda kills stadium sounds. Would be nice to create a random playlist for each event.
Ever been to a game at USC or Tennessee? You're pretty much going to hear the same thing over and over again in real life at some stadiums.

# 151 Solidice @ 04/26/10 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConVick
I'm a little confused about this turbo on/off thing. So does the AI decide when it is the best time for me to sprint OR are we constantly sprinting OR am I completely lost...
from what I read, when Auto Turbo is on, the AI will determine when to use sprint. when Auto Turbo is off, you decide when to use sprint. apparently by default, in NCAA 11, Auto Turbo is off.

# 152 ScoobySnax @ 04/26/10 07:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConVick
Thanks. I don't think I want the AI controlling when I need to sprint...that's just how I feel
I don't think it works like that at all. The longer you press up on the left stick, your player will gradually gain speed until he reaches top speed. I don't think the AI dictates anything at all. Just my opinion.

# 153 jmik58 @ 04/26/10 07:40 PM
I could be wrong, but the impression I get about this "auto turbo" thing is that it is NOT turbo at all. At least I hope that's the case. The way I see this working is that a player builds up speed based on their acceleration, agility, speed ratings when they are moving without obstruction. Therefore, there is no "turbo". A player has the potential to run at a certain rate of speed and the longer you are able to run in a line without changing direction, the player will reach that top speed based on their ratings. I have a feeling I'm wrong on this, but I wish this was how it went. The analog sticks should be "analogous" to the players. If we press up all the way, they should achieve full speed. If I want to slow down I should just let off the left stick a little, etc. Or use the right stick to lean with the upper body. I love the idea of pushing up at about 80% as I run through the hole with a running back and then "explode" by pushing up on the left stick all the way for 100% speed. This would work great with locomotion.

# 154 BDawg35 @ 04/26/10 10:11 PM
As always, will reserve judgment. I think that the reviews every year tend to be glowing, but what we get in our consoles is a disappointment. We read now what everyone has already known, that this generation of NCAA has been a major disappointment. I'd like to dig up some Community Day reviews from the past few years to see what was being said. That having been said, presentation isn't quite as subject to the eye of the beholder as gameplay. It sounds like the presentation is going to be awesome, which will go a long way toward making this an enjoyable game to play. NCAA has felt hollow and empty in this generation.

# 155 rudyjuly2 @ 04/27/10 08:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmik58
The analog sticks should be "analogous" to the players. If we press up all the way, they should achieve full speed. If I want to slow down I should just let off the left stick a little, etc. Or use the right stick to lean with the upper body. I love the idea of pushing up at about 80% as I run through the hole with a running back and then "explode" by pushing up on the left stick all the way for 100% speed. This would work great with locomotion.
That's a perfect system in a perfect world but it's nearly impossible for me to achieve that type of accuracy with the analog sticks. My thumb is incabable of adjusting the speeds that accurately which is why I like the turbo. I'd prefer full throttle on the analog stick to be about 80 or 90% of top speed and then I can hit turbo to really sprint (and lose the ability to make cuts).

# 156 noplace @ 04/27/10 08:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
That's a perfect system in a perfect world but it's nearly impossible for me to achieve that type of accuracy with the analog sticks. My thumb is incabable of adjusting the speeds that accurately which is why I like the turbo. I'd prefer full throttle on the analog stick to be about 80 or 90% of top speed and then I can hit turbo to really sprint (and lose the ability to make cuts).
I believe 2k did this pretty well with the exception of tapping the speed burst which was more like a acceleration button if anything.

# 157 rudyjuly2 @ 04/27/10 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by noplace
I believe 2k did this pretty well with the exception of tapping the speed burst which was more like a acceleration button if anything.
I got tired of tapping that button. That's the one control thing I wish they would have dropped.

# 158 ODogg @ 04/27/10 10:21 AM
yeah that was awful

# 159 ehh @ 04/27/10 10:43 AM
Good write up and preview but I'm not buying into the hype after years of disappointment. It certainly sounds promising but every NCAA game on next-gen has been touted as the "return to the glory days" of the series and all have sucked. This game isn't a release day purchase anymore, I'll play it at one of my boy's places and then decide if it's worth a purchase.

# 160 ODogg @ 04/27/10 11:50 AM
I'm not buying into the hype either but I still plan to get the game early, if possible. If not I'll buy on release day. I'm still playing both of last years football games and enjoying them. I can't remember saying that EVER on next-gen this late in the year. Usually I'm done with those games by the start of the New Year.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.