Home
Preview
Madden NFL 12 Preview

Ed. Note -- This preview will solely focus on presentation. That does not mean I did not play the game already, but because my initial hands-on time was so brief I feel it would not be worthy of speaking about here -- I would more or less be listing off bullet points straight from EA rather than giving you guys actual gameplay impressions. I believe I will be playing the game in a deeper fashion in the very near future, so expect gameplay impressions from OS by next week.

Madden NFL Football has struggled mightily over the years to find a solid presentation foundation. Over the years the presentation elements have been lacking, aimless or just plain bad. And, to some extent, that’s not surprising. EA had the impossible task of trying to live up to ESPN NFL 2K5 in the presentation department -- a game that was at one time the gold standard for the entire sports gaming industry. On top of that, the Madden developers refused to just go the route of mimicking an ESPN-style broadcast after they acquired the ESPN license, which would have been a commendable creative decision had they actually created presentation elements that were lauded.

Nevertheless, here we are now, and all we have seen during this console generation is bland, repetitive, aimless or just plain bad presentation in our NFL football game. However, it seems like EA is finally putting in the time and effort -- and money -- to create an experience that you will want to be a part of, not just because you want to control your favorite team or player, but because you want to be a part of a football experience.

Blueprints

No, that’s not a buzzword, it’s literally what the EA developers gathered to lay the groundwork for the presentation in this year’s game. The developers gathered blueprints from every NFL stadium so they could figure out the various camera placements in each one. As that was just step one, from there the developers actually had to place the cameras in the right spots in the game so they mirrored real life. It doesn’t sound like a big deal at first, but each stadium is unique, which means EA added something like 700 cameras to the game.

Now, this doesn’t mean you can play from 700 different camera angles, but it does mean that when you are playing in Jacksonville, the 50-yard-line cameras there will give off a different look during an in-game camera cut than the 50-yard-line cameras would in Philadelphia. It also means that you might see your head coach from one particular angle when you have a home game, but then on the road the cut to your coach will be from a completely different angle. By tweaking the look and angle of things you see every game, the developers hope that it will help to keep things fresh.

From the sounds of it, this was an immense undertaking, and it’s an addition that truly should be called hardcore. For one thing, it will take a true hometown fan to notice that their actual stadium cameras are in the game. Secondly, this is a feature that will unfortunately probably go unnoticed when it comes to the average fan. Still, it’s commendable and certainly makes me buy into EA’s be “true to the NFL” philosophy that the developers are harping on this year.

Creating an EA Broadcast

The cameras are the brick and mortar of this presentation overhaul, but from there you actually have to make the experience look like something you watch every Sunday. To attack this portion of the project, EA looked to CBS and Troika.

Troika seems to run the world when it comes to creating and assembling the graphics you see on sports broadcasts. They help ESPN and about a million other TV stations when it comes to assembling how stats, scores and every other TV overlay looks during an actual television broadcast. EA developers worked with Troika and received guidance from the company to assemble the graphical packages that show up in their game, and it shows.

The game just looks way more consistent, clean and smooth. To elaborate, everything from the starting lineup screens that flash up on the TV as you first take the field to the scoreboard that runs across the top of the screen to the stat overlays that pop up during the course of a game all fit together like a real life TV package. And the best part about all of this is that I soon realized that what I was watching was not an ESPN broadcast; it wasn’t a CBS broadcast; it was a Madden broadcast.

Beyond the graphics, CBS helped to put the EA developers through a broadcast boot camp of sorts. Some EA developers actually got in a CBS production truck and were shown when certain camera cuts should be made, why they were made and so on. By the end of this teaching lesson, the EA developers were making the proper TV cuts almost in unison with the real-life TV cuts made by the actual professionals.

How the developers seem to be taking what they learned and applying it to the game has to do with some common sense and some predictive logic being programmed into the game. One example of common sense is just the camera cutting to a quick cut scene of the QB talking to his head coach before he comes out for his first set of downs. An example of the predictive logic is something more along the lines of cutting to the blimp cam at the end of a quarter.

Essentially, EA has tried to sequence everything in such a way that you feel like you are a part of a TV broadcast sans the commercials. If you feel like a play was replay-worthy, then more than likely the game should be cutting to that replay from a unique stadium-specific camera angle. Since I have only been exposed to a little slice of this experience, it’s hard to say if every part has been nailed, but the amount of dedication and time that is being poured into this particular element of the game is noteworthy.

First Impressions Are Everything

The pregame sequences in Madden NFL 2011 were a good first step, but this year the team is trying to really go for it. To attack this portion of the game, the developers researched the pregame intros of every team, and they also enlisted the help of the NFL Films crew.

The outcome of the research is the addition of a ton of new introduction sequences. So for the Seahawks there is now a 12th man flag involved during their intro. But the specificity of these intro sequences goes well beyond just key things like that. In Pittsburgh, it means there is no pregame pyro, the team comes out from the corner of the stadium, and Big Ben comes out last as the PA announcer does the player introductions. I have little to no knowledge of what the proper intro sequence is for any NFL team, but EA seems confident that your favorite team will get what’s coming to it in this department.

(As a quick aside, the developers actually added the new wind turbines that will surround the top of the Eagles stadium to Madden NFL 12 -- the turbines won’t actually be completed until September. This an incredibly small detail that I only noticed because I live in Philadelphia, and I only mention it to show you how serious these developers seem to be about nailing small details.)

NFL Films is also incredibly important when it comes to the pregame portion of the game because those guys actually filmed these cut scenes. While I won’t get into all the nitty-gritty details, basically NFL Films workers got into a 3-D space and EA mo-capped them and their cameras as they followed the action that was happening in the video game. I’m sure that’s a little hard to understand, but all you need to know is that it adds an authentic touch to these intro sequences because EA has embraced human imperfections. The NFL Films workers did not know every motion that Michael Vick would do as he came out of the big Eagles helmet, so what that means is that the camera is slightly shaky at times, and Vick is not always perfectly in the middle of the picture.

These imperfections go beyond the pregame sequences as well. A real cameraman can not track a football in the middle of his lens as it soars through the air, so the game will no longer do that either during an in-game replay -- any long-time Madden player should know exactly what I mean with this example.

Graphical Touches

Consider this your mishmash portion of the presentation preview. The thing that most stands out about this game from a graphical standpoint is the improvement to the color palette. Whether it’s the lighting or the fact that the shadows are changing throughout the game, or just a focus on making sure green is actually green, it’s immediately noticeable. If you look at Madden NFL 11, the Eagles jerseys in that game look almost turquoise. This year, the Eagles actually look like they are wearing green jerseys. Of course, cynics would say these things should have been correct in the first place, but hey, at least they seem to be right now.

And much like in NCAA Football 2012, the 3-D grass is lovely. The coolest part about the grass might be the stains though. The developers went the extra mile with their grass-stain technology. So, for example, you can actually see stains on the ridges of a player’s thigh protector, but the stains won’t be within the divot of the thigh protector. The stains all happen in real time as well. In other words, if your offensive lineman gets put on his butt, there is probably going to be a stain there on his left and/or right cheek.

For the equipment junkies out there, you guys should also be happy. There is something like 20 new facemasks in the game. The helmets themselves will also get scuffed up during the course of the game. In addition to that good stuff, there are flak jackets and other assorted pieces of equipment like back plates in the game.

As far as player models go, there has been a focus on trying to make sure players are more proportional this year. One of the focuses is making sure players actually have necks. In the past, it was more shoulders connecting to heads with nothing in between. Beyond that, apparently it can be a real pain to create players that actually continue to stay proportional at various heights. So this year smaller players won’t have tiny heads -- a 5-foot-5 person still has basically the same size head as a 6-foot-5 person in real life. The general idea is just make the players look like humans on a football field.

Finally, I have to mention the actual size of the football. In last year’s game, the football was huge. This year you can immediately tell during the coin-toss sequence that the football is a normal sized piece of pigskin.

Final Thoughts

I did not mention the commentary duo of Collinsworth and Gus Johnson, and that’s for good reason. I simply did not really get to hear them much during the demo event. However, I can at least pass along one note that these two did actually get some time in the booth together, which should help them sync up more this year. I also did mention a halftime/Extra Point show or anything of that sort. This was also intentional. This element was scrapped this year. Considering it was such a joke in the past versions of the game, the developers decided since there was not enough time to do it justice, it would just be taken out completely. It’s obviously not the most popular route to take, but it fits back into their desire to only want to do things right or not at all on the presentation front.

Those ingredients aside, I hope it’s clear that EA is going for it this year on the presentation front. For too long the developers have been negligent parents to their presentational progeny, and now they are trying to make up for all those missed birthdays and Christmases in one year. I want to see more before getting to amped up about what was done -- staying power and avoiding repetition is key here after all -- but either way it’s abundantly clear that this was a major focus in this year’s title.

Look for much more information in the future here at Operation Sports as we approach Madden’s August 30 release date.

*Full disclosure: EA paid for my airfare during my trip to see the game. While it did not influence what I wrote here, OS believes transparency is still key whenever possible.*

Madden NFL 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 illwill10 @ 05/01/11 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggies7
I agree. I have noticed that if I keep the tv volume up then the presentation is good for me. But with Madden last year I would mute it and listen to iPod.
Commentary too. I want to hear commentary like MLB 2k, Show, NBA 2k, even Fifa has good commentary. Sure any commentary gets stale after a while, but at least there's are different from Play now/exhibition games.
Both EA football games has okay play now commentary not franchise/dynasty commentary.
I played a franchise with the Rams every single game they said the same things about Steven Jackson. After a while I could mute it and still know what they were saying.

# 62 jbd345 @ 05/01/11 03:26 PM
Are team theme songs back in the game?? there were a few in madden 11. Were any added for 12? And are there any additions to home teams scoring touchdowns i.e fireworks or player specific celebrations? other than the Aaron Rogers belt celebration??

# 63 PVarck31 @ 05/01/11 06:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman990
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwvDDdlDxyE

I just happened to come across this video on youtube....is it me or does this and Madden 12 sound like the same features being offered. Ea gives and takes away. I see a lot there Madden 12 is claiming to offer

I didn't see anything about a new collision based tackling and blocking system. I also didn't see beefed up zone defense, WR shading, expanded rosters, authentic camera angles, real team entrances, correct sized football, user diving catches, 3 man, and double hit tackles, ball physics improvement, speed rushing, and this what we know before May.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I really don't think you can compare Madden 09's features with 12.

I'm not saying 12 will be great because of these features, but it looks like they are putting a lot more effort in this time around.

# 64 spankdatazz22 @ 05/01/11 06:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB

I think it is up to you guys to decide when you want to stop talking about last-gen games.

I think it would be really hard for Madden to catch those franchises in one year in the presentation department. I also think football games are at a disadvantage in this area because there are a lot more players on the field, and the pace of play is not really conducive to certain presentation elements that video game football can really highlight and keep fresh.
That's an unusual view to have. It's up to us to stop talking about last-gen games? Madden hasn't had "one year" to catch those franchises - they've had at least six. As well as more powerful hardware to work with. That they haven't taken advantage of the situation is their fault, not ours imo.

# 65 roadman @ 05/01/11 07:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
That's an unusual view to have. It's up to us to stop talking about last-gen games? Madden hasn't had "one year" to catch those franchises - they've had at least six. As well as more powerful hardware to work with. That they haven't taken advantage of the situation is their fault, not ours imo.
I really don't think that was the angle Chase was trying to create. What I got out of it, was, he was referring to this year with all the presentation upgrades that appear to be transpiring with Madden. I thought he meant it will take more than this year to beat out the competition with presentation. I don't think he intended to hammer away at the 6yr issue like you did.

And my take on "It's up to us" is that whenever someone feels that presentation in Madden has beaten the competition, then it up to us to proclaim it.

# 66 Nab_Impervious_XII @ 05/01/11 07:33 PM
Quote:

And it's not an unfair expectation either. EA is getting DIRECT help from CBS and ESPN in creating their overlays and presentation this year. If that's not enough to finally get them near 2k, then I honestly don't know what will. More time certainly isn't going to do it. As you said, they've already had 6+ years (3 years if you want to "only" count Ian's tenure).

And this isn't a last gen issue either. We're comparing them to consoles games this generation.

# 67 spankdatazz22 @ 05/02/11 01:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I really don't think that was the angle Chase was trying to create. What I got out of it, was, he was referring to this year with all the presentation upgrades that appear to be transpiring with Madden. I thought he meant it will take more than this year to beat out the competition with presentation. I don't think he intended to hammer away at the 6yr issue like you did.

And my take on "It's up to us" is that whenever someone feels that presentation in Madden has beaten the competition, then it up to us to proclaim it.
Huh? I wasn't trying to "hammer away at the 6yr issue". It is what it is - period. At this point imo, beating out what was done six years ago should be expected. It's really not much of an accomplishment. If the game still doesn't put those comparisons to rest, then that speaks to where the game has been/is in the presentation department - nothing more, nothing less. I'm sure we all appreciate improved presentation, but it deserves context. The question posed was:

"Chase do you think that the presentation upgrades made to madden 12 will finally put the LAST GEN football game comparisons to rest?"

I'm sorry but if the game isn't putting those comparisons to rest given the circumstances then it is what it is

# 68 bkrich83 @ 05/02/11 01:07 AM
Quote:

Why would you possibly bother?

# 69 CFTejada @ 05/02/11 02:50 AM
Noticed they aren't any double teams during pass plays; will this be fixed?

# 70 roadman @ 05/02/11 08:33 AM
Quote:
Huh? I wasn't trying to "hammer away at the 6yr issue". It is what it is - period. At this point imo, beating out what was done six years ago should be expected. It's really not much of an accomplishment. If the game still doesn't put those comparisons to rest, then that speaks to where the game has been/is in the presentation department - nothing more, nothing less. I'm sure we all appreciate improved presentation, but it deserves context. The question posed was:

"Chase do you think that the presentation upgrades made to madden 12 will finally put the LAST GEN football game comparisons to rest?"

I'm sorry but if the game isn't putting those comparisons to rest given the circumstances then it is what it is
Then you completely missed my point and focused more on the hammering point.

Bottom line, it's up to each individual when to declare or proclaim Madden has the best presentation. He is saying it wasn't his call. That is what it is-too.

# 71 spankdatazz22 @ 05/02/11 10:35 AM
Quote:
Then you completely missed my point and focused more on the hammering point.

Bottom line, it's up to each individual when to declare or proclaim Madden has the best presentation. He is saying it wasn't his call. That is what it is-too.
Ahhh... apologize, didn't get that you were saying that above. Still don't see how you gleaned that from the exchange below, but to each his own. For example, no one's running around saying MVP Baseball had better presentation than The Show simply because most would feel it's not true. So in that regard it's really not up to the individual to stop talking about last generation games, because imo it's Tiburon that's still making the last gen games relevant - not the fans.

"I think it is up to you guys to decide when you want to stop talking about last-gen games.

I think it would be really hard for Madden to catch those franchises in one year in the presentation department. I also think football games are at a disadvantage in this area because there are a lot more players on the field, and the pace of play is not really conducive to certain presentation elements that video game football can really highlight and keep fresh."

It's obviously not a big deal either way (and apologize if I came off as overly antagonistic). I was referencing the comment that it'd be really hard for Madden to catch those franchises in one year in the presentation department. All I said was it wasn't one year, it had been at least six with more powerful hardware. If this were EA Canada or some other EA dev house taking over development of Madden then I could see the comment. But for years, the constant has been Tiburon.

# 72 roadman @ 05/02/11 12:01 PM
Quote:
Ahhh... apologize, didn't get that you were saying that above. Still don't see how you gleaned that from the exchange below, but to each his own. For example, no one's running around saying MVP Baseball had better presentation than The Show simply because most would feel it's not true. So in that regard it's really not up to the individual to stop talking about last generation games, because imo it's Tiburon that's still making the last gen games relevant - not the fans.

"I think it is up to you guys to decide when you want to stop talking about last-gen games.

I think it would be really hard for Madden to catch those franchises in one year in the presentation department. I also think football games are at a disadvantage in this area because there are a lot more players on the field, and the pace of play is not really conducive to certain presentation elements that video game football can really highlight and keep fresh."

It's obviously not a big deal either way (and apologize if I came off as overly antagonistic). I was referencing the comment that it'd be really hard for Madden to catch those franchises in one year in the presentation department. All I said was it wasn't one year, it had been at least six with more powerful hardware. If this were EA Canada or some other EA dev house taking over development of Madden then I could see the comment. But for years, the constant has been Tiburon.
Understood, but I just interpret what Chase said differently. I didn't gather he meant stop talking about it now, just if and when Madden does past other games in that area, it's up to each individual to stop talking about the past. Like you said, it's neither here nor there.

I agree they probably won't complete everything in one year, let alone the last 6 yrs, but I haven't seen any proof in the pudding either way to comment on 12. If the things they are adding is true and it works, I'll be happy. I think we all know the commentary needs fixing among other things.

As I said last week, all we had last year to look for was patch #4 or 5 with tuner set(tightened up the D offline), run blocking, OB catches, strategy pad and game flow.

I don't think I need to list all the features that came out last week that if they work properly, could be a impressive improvement from 11.

We'll see.

# 73 ChaseB @ 05/02/11 12:57 PM
Quote:
Holy emotional scars from ex-girlfriends. I think you're probably reading too far into this. All I meant by that sentence was that you guys will decide when it's time to give up talking about last-gen games. When you feel like these current-gen games are better, then at that point you all will move on -- this just seems like common sense to me. I am not the arbiter on this matter.

And I'm not trying to play a blame game or anything like that either, so I'm not sure why you think I would say it's your fault for continuing to make the comparisons. In terms of the "one year" thing, again, all I really meant was that if you consider this year one of their new -- and finally wise -- direction on the presentation front, then they aren't going to catch these other games that found their comfort zone years ago in one year. Again, I think this is just common sense.

# 74 spankdatazz22 @ 05/02/11 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
Holy emotional scars from ex-girlfriends. I think you're probably reading too far into this. All I meant by that sentence was that you guys will decide when it's time to give up talking about last-gen games. When you feel like these current-gen games are better, then at that point you all will move on -- this just seems like common sense to me. I am not the arbiter on this matter.

And I'm not trying to play a blame game or anything like that either, so I'm not sure why you think I would say it's your fault for continuing to make the comparisons. In terms of the "one year" thing, again, all I really meant was that if you consider this year one of their new -- and finally wise -- direction on the presentation front, then they aren't going to catch these other games that found their comfort zone years ago in one year. Again, I think this is just common sense.
lol, I didn't mean to offend you either. To me it gets at expectations, which obviously vary greatly for all of us. It's hard for me to say this is "Year One of their finally wise direction" when the same thing was being said three years ago when the Ian-era was supposed to bring a renewed dedication towards realism. Just as people were saying "give them a chance" when exclusivity was first announced. There seems to be this view that the Madden team purposely didn't try to make a good game during certain years, or that the suits kept them from making the game they wanted to, or whatever. Personally I'm sure they tried to their best ability every year. I'm positive David Ortiz, Ian, and this new crew were/are attempting to make the best game they can. I disagreed with their approach at times but I don't doubt each tried the best they could in their own way.

At the same time, the results are what they are. They still haven't put to rest comparisons to the older games and I think it's relevant to remember that. Don't take this as a dig, but OS rated Madden 11 a 9 last year. I'm sure there were a lot of other sites that rated the game highly. I think a large part of that was because the people reviewing the game likely based their opinions on what the game has been this generation, instead of basing expectings by extrapolating what might be because of what came before it. Perhaps there'd be a lot less disappointment if the Madden team weren't given such low expectations to meet. I don't think the older games Madden's compared to were necessarily x-number of yrs ahead of their time, but I think that view gets perpetrated by inferring it's going to "take awhile" for the Madden team to reach those levels. Let alone surpass them.

# 75 ChaseB @ 05/02/11 04:54 PM
Quote:
lol, I didn't mean to offend you either. To me it gets at expectations, which obviously vary greatly for all of us. It's hard for me to say this is "Year One of their finally wise direction" when the same thing was being said three years ago when the Ian-era was supposed to bring a renewed dedication towards realism. Just as people were saying "give them a chance" when exclusivity was first announced. There seems to be this view that the Madden team purposely didn't try to make a good game during certain years, or that the suits kept them from making the game they wanted to, or whatever. Personally I'm sure they tried to their best ability every year. I'm positive David Ortiz, Ian, and this new crew were/are attempting to make the best game they can. I disagreed with their approach at times but I don't doubt each tried the best they could in their own way.

At the same time, the results are what they are. They still haven't put to rest comparisons to the older games and I think it's relevant to remember that. Don't take this as a dig, but OS rated Madden 11 a 9 last year. I'm sure there were a lot of other sites that rated the game highly. I think a large part of that was because the people reviewing the game likely based their opinions on what the game has been this generation, instead of basing expectings by extrapolating what might be because of what came before it. Perhaps there'd be a lot less disappointment if the Madden team weren't given such low expectations to meet. I don't think the older games Madden's compared to were necessarily x-number of yrs ahead of their time, but I think that view gets perpetrated by inferring it's going to "take awhile" for the Madden team to reach those levels. Let alone surpass them.
No offense taken, and I don't mind the spirited banter since you clearly care about the series. Generally speaking, I try to keep things in perspective and keep it to year to year intervals. I'm not going to hang the past over a series, but rather just gauge the game for what it is during any given year.

As for the Madden 11 review score, take it up with Mr. Man In Charge Steve Noah -- he reviewed the game. I try to remind him about that 9 whenever it comes up. We also revamped our scoring system and guidelines since I think the higher review scores across the spectrum had more to do with how we were doing things in general than the games themselves.

# 76 ruffdhc @ 05/04/11 09:35 PM
come on madden team lets get it right this year and use the real football as a standard...

# 77 Demoncrom @ 05/05/11 02:53 PM
If EA wants to know how to do the halftime show in game - get a copy of 2k5 and watch closely. Still the best halftime show ever - highlights are awesome. I hope the EA makes an effort to increase the fun factor this year. I still am waiting for the time when I want to play this game for many seasons

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.