Home
Preview
WWE '12 Preview (Xbox 360)

I visited THQ this week to play the E3 build of the newly rebranded WWE game, WWE' 12. The tagline is "bigger, badder, better" and from my experience over the last two days, it lives up to the tagline.

The game has been rebranded, eliminating the outdated "Smackdown vs Raw" name and joining other sports games with a more specific name related to the actual sport. There are numerous changes that I will try to cover over this preview.

Presentation

I have seen some complaints about the graphics not being upgraded over last year's game. Well, unless you see a comparison image, it pretty much does look the same as last year's game. However, once you see both games side by side, it's easier to see the improvements.

The graphics are definitely improved in about every way, including the wrestler's models, shadowing and the lighting. The lighting gives off the feel of a wrestling event being viewed on television. But even better than that are the new camera angles. They truly make you feel like you are watching Raw or Smackdown on TV. Along with the presentation upgrades are some more "gritty" graphical changes, including the ring having some bounce to it, the ropes shaking and the ring itself just having physics. These are small changes overall, but giant changes when all put together.

On the other hand, I'm still disappointed in the sounds of the game, especially the crowd. Nevertheless, they are improving, and the developers know they need to keep attacking this issue. The entrance themes now have reverb, which sounds fantastic, but the commentary is still weak. My only other real negative impression has to do with the meters on the screen. Simply put, for a game trying to mimic a TV broadcast, the meters look out of place.

Gameplay

Now on to what we really care about, gameplay. In short, you have to play this game to really appreciate how it has improved. The controls have been greatly improved while also being made simpler. Gone are the grapples from the right stick, replaced now by grapples on the face buttons. This will appeal to the hardcore crowd as well as the pick-up-and-play gamers. The game just moves so fluid thanks to the new graphics and control scheme. You are linking moves now, and the match actually tells a story instead of it being more like a fighting game in the past.

If you played WWE All-Stars, then you know about the interruptible animation system, which is also included here. No longer will you have watch or punch air while John Cena is doing the Five-Knuckle Shuffle during a triple-threat match. This alone makes the engine feel so much improved.

Beyond that, one of my favorite improvements is the wake-up taunt. This is something that has been needed for a long time in order to give you that TV feel. After you have a finisher ready and your opponent is down, you press up on the D-pad to initiate this wake-up taunt. So Orton will punch the mat while the still-groggy opponent stands up all. From there, you can then hit your finisher. On top of that, the RKO can be hit out of nowhere (except if someone jumps off the top rope at you, we tried). Adding to that, if you hit your signature move right before your finisher, you will have a more powerful finisher to add even more realism to the match.

Pins have also changed this year. You hold down a button before releasing it in a specific box to kick out -- no more button mashing to kick out. There are two things I love about this: the box moves around before each count, and if you hit the more powerful finisher described above, the count only appears after the one-count, giving you only one shot to kick out. Again, this makes finishers and matches feel better overall.

There is a limb-targeting system now as well. In a grapple situation, you press RB and a face button (on 360) to target a body part. The Y button is for the head, X or B is for the arms and A is for the legs. Each attack affects the body in different ways as well. This leads into the Breaking Point system, the new submission system in the game. It's essentially a button-mashing system to force the tap out, but it works better than in previous games. I can't say that I love any button-mashing systems, but this one surprisingly worked very well, especially in multiplayer matches.

The game now also features a comeback system that certain wrestlers carry.
In our build, both Orton and Cena had the ability to press a button after
taking a certain amount of damage to essentially get one chance to get back in the match. It made matches with a superstar like Cena feel very authentic. My only complaint was how it was implemented. It's one button press (Y button) for either the guy getting beat up or the guy winning the fight. It almost becomes a battle of making sure you can spam the button in time, especially against a human opponent.

Another change that fans may be really excited about are that there are now 12 attributes that every wrestler is rated on in the game. This also helps balance out the roster and make the individual wrestlers all have a different feel.

Final Thoughts

Overall, I came away very impressed with WWE' 12. The developers have a real passion to make this the best wrestling game they can, and they listened to both our positive and negative impressions.

I can't wait to see the final build. I told the developers -- and still feel this way -- that the E3 build of WWE '12 played better than Smackdown vs Raw '11, which is a great feat. I said it once but have to say it again, this is a game that needs to be played; the videos and screenshots don't do it justice.

WWE '12 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 ExtremeGamer @ 06/05/11 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majingir
What was the difficulty you played on and how long did it take you to win a match?
Default. Depended on how you played. Took 5-6 minutes most matches but I try to play it as a real match would play out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

# 22 ExtremeGamer @ 06/05/11 04:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
It sucks that he now has to buy it he means.
That's what I get for reading it quick. Lol

# 23 Majingir @ 06/05/11 05:06 PM
Based on the gameplay (and considering the fact that it's being listed as being different than the Smackdown vs Raw controls) what previous WWE video game would you compare the gameplay to?

Based on things being advertised for this game, it sounds alot like Day of Reckoning in terms of being able to break up moves.

# 24 ExtremeGamer @ 06/05/11 05:10 PM
Quote:
Based on the gameplay (and considering the fact that it's being listed as being different than the Smackdown vs Raw controls) what previous WWE video game would you compare the gameplay to?

Based on things being advertised for this game, it sounds alot like Day of Reckoning in terms of being able to break up moves.
It's still Smackdown. Just cleaned up. So I would compare it to the Smackdown series before anything else. Don't want your expectations too high on this as it's still Smackdown. Just a better looking, better flowing, easier to control version of it.

I hated SvR11 last year and truly feel this is the start of something great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

# 25 Majingir @ 06/05/11 05:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeGamer
It's still Smackdown. Just cleaned up. So I would compare it to the Smackdown series before anything else. Don't want your expectations too high on this as it's still Smackdown. Just a better looking, better flowing, easier to control version of it.

I hated SvR11 last year and truly feel this is the start of something great.

I actually liked SvR11 more than any other SvR game(GM mode was only thing I liked better in any other game over SvR11).

Nice to hear its better flowing game because that was the main thing missing for me was that the matches just seemed to be just about timing more than anything else.

I'm sure I'll have more than enough questions(if I didn't already lol), but did you at least get to hear some menu tracks? If so, is it just WWE themes again or is it like older SvR games where they had several songs that were either ppv songs or just not WWE related at all.

# 26 ExtremeGamer @ 06/05/11 05:59 PM
Quote:

I'm sure I'll have more than enough questions(if I didn't already lol), but did you at least get to hear some menu tracks? If so, is it just WWE themes again or is it like older SvR games where they had several songs that were either ppv songs or just not WWE related at all.
Ahh one of my favorite parts. No more WWE themes playing over the menu (which is a totally new UI), just some sinister sounding music. Sounds awesome!

# 27 Jukeman @ 06/05/11 07:09 PM
sounds promising

# 28 kevyankee1020 @ 06/05/11 07:30 PM
Are they going to bring back a GM Mode?

# 29 BlueNGold @ 06/05/11 07:37 PM
Okay, here's three questions I have:

Do you know of any improvements made to Universe mode?

Is that pinning glitch from last year fixed? I think it had something to do with the CPU not kicking out.

And finally, based on what you've seen and played, would you buy it? (might be an obvious answer, but I know you've been frustrated with SvR from reading the SvR 11 impressions thread and I feel like asking lol)

# 30 ExtremeGamer @ 06/05/11 07:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNGold
Okay, here's three questions I have:

Do you know of any improvements made to Universe mode?

Is that pinning glitch from last year fixed? I think it had something to do with the CPU not kicking out.

And finally, based on what you've seen and played, would you buy it? (might be an obvious answer, but I know you've been frustrated with SvR from reading the SvR 11 impressions thread and I feel like asking lol)
AI is A LOT better. A LOT!

Yes I would buy it. I personally felt it's in it's best shape since Here Comes The Pain. The team knows we want a great wrestling game and they were very passionate about giving it to us.

# 31 BlueNGold @ 06/05/11 07:58 PM
Quote:
AI is A LOT better. A LOT!

Yes I would buy it. I personally felt it's in it's best shape since Here Comes The Pain. The team knows we want a great wrestling game and they were very passionate about giving it to us.

Damn. The last great SD game I played no less.

Good to hear. I'm excited now.

# 32 woaty13ward @ 06/05/11 09:19 PM
I can't wait to play it

# 33 psymin1 @ 06/06/11 01:49 AM
Yeah, EG brings up HCTP, and the game automatically bumps onto my radar. Loved HCTP, and I haven't watched much wrestling in the past three years, but that comparison does enough for me. I would love to play a fun, challenging, and realistic wrestling game (not a fighter) that uses the SvR graphics engine. SvR will never top Fire Pro Wrestling, but as long as I can have a lot of fun with it, I am content with that fact. HCPT and SvR 2006 were the games in the series I played the most since it moved to PS2/PS3. If I can find something that brings that fun factor, I'm all ears. Nice job EG. I'll catch you on Twitter, I'm sure.

# 34 Steven547 @ 06/06/11 07:52 PM
Is there a tournament mode? (HUM vs HUM, CPU vs HUM, CPU vs CPU)

And you say the AI has improved, does this mean they keep moving or aggression has been raised?
Two reasons...
1: They knock you down and watch you or wait until you get up.
2: Wrestler gets thrown outside the ring..the other wrestler attacks him, then stands on the ring apron "other side" of the ropes....but..just stands there again watching the opponent, who then gets up and performs an attack on that wrestler. This has happened in the past 3 matches.

Also, I'm reading that the "normal" difficulty will be replaced by the "Legend" difficulty. Does this mean the game will be another reversal fest?? Or will there be more sliders to adjust all that?

# 35 Bacon Vortex @ 06/06/11 09:43 PM
Great points. I definitely don't want to have to only do Irish Whips to the buckle for the first 80% of every match because everything else is reversed by the computer.

# 36 Altimus @ 06/07/11 10:55 AM
Thanks for the impressions EG. As of now this will be a day 1 buy for me. So far very excited about this game.

# 37 ExtremeGamer @ 06/12/11 08:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruinsftw2k
Judging from the videos it looks like they no sell a lot of movies, do the wrestlers really get up that fast after most moves, even finishers?
It varies. Moves early on they get up right away. Later on in the match they stay down longer. It's a good system that needs a little tweaking. Game is still over 5 months from release, remember that. I didn't see any no selling on finishers if you played it right. I never went for a finisher till later in the match and the opponent always stayed down.

# 38 Majingir @ 06/12/11 01:57 PM
Quote:
Ahh one of my favorite parts. No more WWE themes playing over the menu (which is a totally new UI), just some sinister sounding music. Sounds awesome!

Is it just like instrumental music or what?

And I have no problem with this game being compared to HCTP but there's just one problem.....so was last years game and it didn't turn out to be as good as it was hyped to be.

Do the users have more options in terms of changing the sliders(since last year we were only able to change sliders for things like reversals and finisher strengths. Full sliders such as punch damage,grapple damage ect. would be great and could make matches go much longer)

Is there still a long wait period when selecting superstars with custom threads or even created superstars?

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.