Home
Preview
Madden NFL 12 Preview

Graphics and Presentation

In addition to the new team-specific entrances that you've already heard about, from the opening kickoff the presentation additions to Madden 11 are readily apparent. Each game now begins with a broadcast style side view of the kickoff and a redesigned kick meter similar to the old Tiger Woods button meter of the late '90s. Once the ball is in play, the camera swings back to a variation of the more familiar Madden view we've grown to love. After each play the camera will swing to different television-like viewpoints, highlighting a player as he celebrates or huddles up with his team -- complete with slick new stat banners. The result is a game that skews the boundaries between a video game and what you would expect to see on a television broadcast better than any football game before it.

A particular moment comes to mind that properly demonstrates just how cool some of the new presentation is in Madden 12. After he scored a touchdown in the corner of the end zone, the cameras cut to Tampa's Mike Williams as he celebrated with his teammates. The camera emulated a handheld sideline camera at the player's waist level angled up, as if the network had just cut to an on-field sideline camera in the corner of the end zone. I felt like I was part of the team's celebration, and the sense of immersion conveyed was amazing.

What makes things even better for NFL fans is the fact that Madden has received a significant graphical facelift this year thanks to art director Mike Young. Young, who previously had worked on the NBA Street series, told me that he knew he could bring something special to Madden, and was confident he could improve the visual style of the game to make the overall experience truer to what we see on Sundays.

Thanks to Young's effort -- among many others I'm sure -- player models look eerily realistic to their real-life counterparts, right down to some impressive new hair graphics for players with flowing locks like Matthew Stafford (I'm not joking, hair that barely protrudes from the back of a helmet looks ridiculously good for whatever reason). Individual pieces of equipment get dirty, and there are even different degrees of helmet scratch depth and length.

Things look so good that players are instantly recognizable on the field. Maurice Jones-Drew looks like a bowling ball below the waist; Mike Tolbert is a bulky beast; and DeMarcus Ware is a hulking force on the D-line. Add in some player-specific animations, like Michael Vick and Tim Tebow's throwing motions, and you have a game that oozes NFL authenticity.

On the Field

Graphical and presentation upgrades don't mean a thing if the on the field gameplay is lacking. Luckily Madden 12 is looking very good in this department. The momentum system that was implemented in NCAA 12 has been added here, and it really differentiates power backs from their speedier counterparts. Warping has also been removed from the game like in NCAA, and some of the animations I encountered were jaw dropping.

While using the Chargers' Ryan Matthews, I made a cut to the open field while in the process of bouncing off a glancing defender. Matthews briefly lost his footing, looked as if he was going to fall down to the ground, but suddenly regained control and ripped off 10 additional yards before being tackled by another defender. The entire sequence happened in an instant and occurred incredibly organically. Moments like this give me hope the days of robotic player movement and seeing the same four canned tackle animations are gone forever from this series.

I was also lucky enough to witness the game's touted Dynamic Player Performance in full effect during my hands-on time. In the same game mentioned above, Ryan Matthews was able to rip off a 55-yard TD scamper minutes into the first quarter. During his next series of carries, he ran like a man possessed, bouncing off of would-be tacklers and breaking free for extra yardage. Matthews DPP classification allowed him to absorb more contact since he started off hot, and it should be incredibly interesting to see how player performance impacts games and seasons.

Blocking, like in NCAA, feels about right, and it is also worth noting that the default camera angle has been completely reworked. The camera no longer pulls out as it did in Madden 11 to give you a wider view of the field, and it more closely resembles the current NCAA camera.

Final Thoughts

This is going to be a very big year for Madden in my opinion. The game is still being tuned, and it already plays a very enjoyable game of football. Best of all is that the game captures what it is to watch an NFL game every Sunday. Based on my limited hands-on time with the game, let the NFL cancel the season -- as long as I have Madden 12 I'll survive.

Madden NFL 12 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 fb121 @ 06/08/11 02:39 PM
hey chase, is anything being tuned when it comes to running animations? how about the presnap and postsnap animations, players look life-less and move very stiff when going back o the huddle after a play or lining up at their positions before the snap..? any word on these issues?

# 22 RogueHominid @ 06/08/11 02:41 PM
Is the link in the first post to a truncated version of a more substantive and detailed set of impressions? The article introduced by that link doesn't really offer anything new, it lacks detail (aside from the brief suggestion that one hot run early can make a back's ratings increase), and it's incredibly short.

No offense to Chase here--I was just looking for something longer and a little more specific. What exactly leads you to believe that this game has the potential to match The Show as an elite sports game of this generation beyond your observations that the pre-game and post-TD celebrations look cool, the player models are a bit more varied than last year, and DPP *seems* to work?

In most of the videos all I see are clowns playing tourney ball (love the Raiders guy's one play with the slant to the Reece and the fade to Miller), so those videos don't really tell me much about how the game would look and seem to people of our ilk here at OS. I'm assuming you tried to call a more "normal" game--were you able to complete timing routes, notice zones covering certain areas of the field better, or answer any other major questions OSers tend to have?

I know the game time is short at these things, but still . . . perhaps you could speak to a couple of those questions now.

# 23 gbombbay @ 06/08/11 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
I wouldn't go out and ask people if they lost their mind if they are doing a lot of previewing for us. I already stated in here that he has been very critical of Madden the past few years, so, hearing this is encouraging.
i was being sarcastic when i asked if he's lost his mind (im sure he hasn't). Don't take things so serious.. smh

# 24 Nab_Impervious_XII @ 06/08/11 02:48 PM
I'm kinda surprised that this article thinks presentation is finally "up to spec". From what I've seen at E3, it still looks painfully average to underwhelming. The commentary hasn't really noticeably improved and the TV broadcast is scant at best (the game will cut from random TV angles to playable angles without any compelling TV-like transitions). I'll admit, the touchdown sequences are a little more exciting, but those were really never the problem. Madden 11 did a pretty decent job at zooming in the appropriate players, and modifying the scorebug in a cool way to signal a score.

At this point, I'm not sure what to say but sigh when it comes to Madden's prospect of creating a truly engaging presentation element.

# 25 LambertandHam @ 06/08/11 02:49 PM
Looks like everything is shaping up nicely except the commentary. Still, I'm a glass half full kind of guy, so everything is good

# 26 roadman @ 06/08/11 03:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nab_Impervious_XII
I'm kinda surprised that this article thinks presentation is finally "up to spec". From what I've seen at E3, it still looks painfully average to underwhelming. The commentary hasn't really noticeably improved and the TV broadcast is scant at best (the game will cut from random TV angles to playable angles without any compelling TV-like transitions). I'll admit, the touchdown sequences are a little more exciting, but those were really never the problem. Madden 11 did a pretty decent job at zooming in the appropriate players, and modifying the scorebug in a cool way to signal a score.

At this point, I'm not sure what to say but sigh when it comes to Madden's prospect of creating a truly engaging presentation element.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I think Madden's 12 camera's shots pre and post play kill Madden 11, but to each their own.

# 27 SageInfinite @ 06/08/11 03:07 PM
Quote:

I think Madden's 12 camera's shots pre and post play kill Madden 11, but to each their own.
I agree, it's not even close.

# 28 RGiles36 @ 06/08/11 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
I agree, it's not even close.
AT ALL. I think I can change my sig .

# 29 SageInfinite @ 06/08/11 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
AT ALL. I think I can change my sig .
I was thinking the same thing, lol. They finally did it, i give them credit. Hopefully next year the commentary and analysis can go along with it.

# 30 LorenzoDC @ 06/08/11 03:19 PM
Someone at e3 or on twitter should ask if the commentary at e3 is the full, final thing.

I doubt it is, but then again, it's probably close.

# 31 Nab_Impervious_XII @ 06/08/11 03:26 PM
Quote:

Hmm, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree then.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely think the pre and post play shots are improved, but they're still too disconnected for my tastes (the TV packages still erratically appear in between gameplay, instead of transitioning like an authentic CBS/TV broadcast). In other words, it still feels like I'm watching a bunch of clips instead of a composite presentation package. The same Madden 11 commentary certainly doesn't help either.

# 32 roadman @ 06/08/11 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nab_Impervious_XII
Hmm, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree then.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely think the pre and post play shots are improved, but they're still too disconnected for my tastes (the TV packages still erratically appear in between gameplay, instead of transitioning like an authentic CBS/TV broadcast). In other words, it still feels like I'm watching a bunch of clips instead of a composite presentation package. The same Madden 11 commentary certainly doesn't help either.
Agree with your commentary quote, but based on the fact we didn't hear anything about commentary, I wasn't expecting much. Similar to franchise mode in the past.

As far as the cameras, we all have different tastes.

# 33 truintellectplaya @ 06/08/11 04:32 PM
What about defense? Did not hear a thing about that and that has been my issue with Madden on this generation of consoles.

# 34 savoie2006 @ 06/08/11 05:50 PM
" the game will cut from random TV angles to playable angles without any compelling TV-like transitions"

Did you ever think that maybe part of that is the person playing the game skipping through the sequences, thus it doesn't look as fluid?

# 35 Earl1963 @ 06/08/11 09:01 PM
getting our hopes up again for the 12th season.

# 36 radatdude2 @ 06/08/11 09:23 PM
the camera angles really create a sense of immersion. Graphics and presentation really make the look great. Question about pre-snap is there anyway where they can prevent the DB's from strafing into position ?

# 37 tril @ 06/08/11 10:08 PM
only question I have is about the Commentary, play by play announcers etc. Did they improve on this or is it still stale and dated.

# 38 Demoncrom @ 06/09/11 11:46 AM
Someone working at Gamestop told me an interesting little jewel. From what I understood if the NFL does not have a season and with the NFLPA now officially disbanded, Madden may not be able to use the players names and likeness., if that happens, then I dont know if I will buy this game this time

# 39 K_GUN @ 06/09/11 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrom
Someone working at Gamestop told me an interesting little jewel. From what I understood if the NFL does not have a season and with the NFLPA now officially disbanded, Madden may not be able to use the players names and likeness., if that happens, then I dont know if I will buy this game this time
not true bud...NFLPA is now a Trade union.....their likenesses can still be used in video games.

EA already confirmed this

http://techland.time.com/2011/03/14/...madden-nfl-12/

# 40 MrRudy @ 06/09/11 05:25 PM
Love this! Seems like Madden is a homerun this year!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.