Home
Preview
UFC Undisputed 3 Preview

I'll start with the striking animations in the game, which did not look all that great to be honest. Punches still seem to impact like feathers, lacking the devastation you would expect when they connect, and look almost identical to what we have seen in the past two UFC releases. The lack of any sort of weight behind strikes in the series has always really bothered me, and I wasn't overly impressed by the snippets of gameplay I saw.

Even worse than the hit animations was the reveal of the new submission system. Now when a submission is initiated an octagon appears on the screen. A red and blue area appears on the octagon that corresponds to each fighter's corner, and the player that initiated the submission must maneuver this colored zone around the octagon avoiding the defending player's attempts to cover the zone up. It's a bit ridiculous looking, and it's incredibly obtrusive.

On a positive note, player models and lighting look to be improved, and cuts looked to be a bit more dynamic versus the standard-over eye wound that was always in 2010.

Final Thoughts

UFC 3 is still a long ways out, so I am sure the build we witnessed was extremely early. Here's hoping THQ dumps in the necessary effort and polish that the series deserves.

UFC Undisputed 3 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 BlueNGold @ 06/09/11 04:44 AM
The part about striking doesn't sound good at all.

The main thing I hope is that it's not a knockout fest like 2010 was. You could take Jon Fitch and consistently knock guys out early in fights if you wanted to.

# 2 Money99 @ 06/09/11 08:59 AM
Thanks for the brutally honest and candid review Chase.
It sure doesn't sound good.

I haven't played EA's MMA game, but from what I've read their submission system is done well. Why wouldn't THQ just copy what they know works?

Hopefully they can fix up a lot of these issues before release.
With FNC being a disappointment, I was hoping for a good combat sports game to enjoy over the winter.
Looks like I might have to pick up NBA2K12 to get my sports fix this fall/winter.

# 3 madden316 @ 06/09/11 09:52 AM
Yeah I feel the same way as BlueNGold, 2010 was a "knockout fest" if you look at a real UFC post fight card you'll see most victorys was by decision rather then knockouts.

That's too bad about the submission system when I 1st heard about it thought it sounded stupid Im glad I got confirmation.

UFC 2010 you could predict when somebody was gonna get KO by the blood on the mat and rather or not they was in a dominant position.

I love watching the AI Vs AI matches, and I have yet to see a comp submit another comp, which is insane.

# 4 Money99 @ 06/09/11 11:18 AM
I admit I've never played this series before.
But it seems that UFC 09 got lots of love. What happened?

# 5 scottyo60 @ 06/09/11 11:21 AM
@Money99 I could be very wrong but it sounds like their octagon chasing system comes from EA MMA's find the zone mini game when chokes were being applied. I loved the system because it gave visual feedback when stamina was low. If UFC did something like this for just chokes I wouldn't be upset at all. just not every submission because it would take out the branching submissions it would seem

# 6 miami01 @ 06/09/11 12:08 PM
This definantly doesn't sound good, but there is a guy on the ign boards that saw the video as well and was quite impressed with how fluid the striking was.
So, the jury is still out. Also, the game still has 7 months to release so hopefully some things can change for the better.

# 7 JohnnyRu31 @ 06/09/11 12:40 PM
That's what I was afraid of. Exacttly what I figured would happen when THQ got that long contract. Figured they wouldn't spend the necessary money to improve the game because they know it will sell based solely on the fact that they have the UFC license. Sounds like the Madden formula.

# 8 Gotmadskillzson @ 06/09/11 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyo60
@Money99 I could be very wrong but it sounds like their octagon chasing system comes from EA MMA's find the zone mini game when chokes were being applied. I loved the system because it gave visual feedback when stamina was low. If UFC did something like this for just chokes I wouldn't be upset at all. just not every submission because it would take out the branching submissions it would seem
Yeah basically it is EA MMA model.

# 9 Gotmadskillzson @ 06/09/11 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
Coasting off of brand recognition is what happened. THQ knows anything with the name of UFC on it is going to sell regardless. And any MMA game that don't have UFC branding isn't going to sell.

This is what happened with EA MMA last year. That was a pretty damn good game and the broadcast feature with up to 10 friends was awesome. However because it didn't have any UFC fighters nobody really bought the game and that game dropped to $40 within a month. By Christmas time that game was already in the $20 bin.

# 10 BlueNGold @ 06/09/11 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
They sped the game up and went with a more arcade focus. Imagine playing Fight Night and almost all of your fights being slugfests that end in like 5 rounds.

Plus there were issues with the ground game (they added this ridiculous thing where you try to transition 3 times and no matter what you could get the transition on the third try), stamina was basically worthless, the CPU AI barely ever resembled the actual fighter you were going against, instead deciding to always press forward and throw bombs, and the career mode was bad because they added a feature where your attributes would decay, which is fine except for the fact it happened so fast and so often.

09 wasn't the best game, but it was a really good starting point. They just made too many mistakes with 2010.

# 11 jeremym480 @ 06/09/11 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueNGold
They sped the game up and went with a more arcade focus. Imagine playing Fight Night and almost all of your fights being slugfests that end in like 5 rounds.

Plus there were issues with the ground game (they added this ridiculous thing where you try to transition 3 times and no matter what you could get the transition on the third try), stamina was basically worthless, the CPU AI barely ever resembled the actual fighter you were going against, instead deciding to always press forward and throw bombs, and the career mode was bad because they added a feature where your attributes would decay, which is fine except for the fact it happened so fast and so often.

09 wasn't the best game, but it was a really good starting point. They just made too many mistakes with 2010.
This is a perfect assessment. I still play 10. It's fun for me but, nothing close to perfect.

# 12 mlr1 @ 06/09/11 10:31 PM
I was hoping for anything but this bad of a review......smfh and I really loved 2009 and tolerated 2010

# 13 BlueNGold @ 06/09/11 11:54 PM
We still have to remember it was only a hands-off preview and the game still doesn't come out for another 7 months.

# 14 The JareBear @ 06/10/11 12:06 AM
I really enjoyed 09 and 10. I kinda like the simplified control scheme I think blocking and initiating a takedown defense should be simple. I just wonder if we will see fights go to the scorecard this year

# 15 Iadf @ 06/10/11 05:20 AM
ughh this makes me so sad

# 16 DJ @ 06/16/11 02:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
Coasting off of brand recognition is what happened. THQ knows anything with the name of UFC on it is going to sell regardless. And any MMA game that don't have UFC branding isn't going to sell.

This is what happened with EA MMA last year. That was a pretty damn good game and the broadcast feature with up to 10 friends was awesome. However because it didn't have any UFC fighters nobody really bought the game and that game dropped to $40 within a month. By Christmas time that game was already in the $20 bin.
Tell me about it; I've felt THQ has done the same thing with the WWE license for years.

Speaking of EA MMA, I still need to pick that game up. I really enjoyed the demo and I remember a lot of guys on here giving the game good reviews. The submission system is a lot better than the dreaded 'shine'.

# 17 CX1329 @ 06/18/11 09:44 PM
It's funny how in UFC 2010, it's just bomb after bomb until someone gets knocked out. It's fun, as long as you don't expect to have a sim experience. I'm not very optimistic about the next iteration, but I'm glad the controller wrecking "shine" will be gone.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.