Home
Preview
MLB 12 The Show Preview (PS3)

While the snow might be piling up across the land (or not), things are heating up at the SCEA studios. Info regarding MLB: The Show 12 is steadily starting to trickle out day by day. 

But if you are looking for wholesale changes, look elsewhere. SCEA follows a strict policy of “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” This is certainly not a bad thing. Instead of trying to re-invent the wheel, we consistently see building blocks, but this isn’t to say there is no innovation.

Last year we were introduced to analog hitting, pitching and fielding. This year, one of the early features we know about is Pulse Pitching, which is loosely based off of classic pitching. After selecting your pitch, and location, you then press X to start the pitch. A large X on the screen will appear and you must press X again at its smallest point. This is certainly a new and welcome take on pitching in this series. 

We will also have a new way of hitting once again with Zone-Analog. This time you use both sticks to hit; the right, to mimic the swing of the bat and the left, to place the bat in its correct zone quadrant. This should appease many hardcore fans. 

Another innovative feature being introduced this year is collision awareness. This will finally eliminate the clipping we see when players pass right through each other. Now you will see players getting spiked, plenty more animations for breaking up double plays, new tags and slides. Finally players can collide anywhere on the field. This has been a community request for years. 

My personal favorite improvement that we know about so far is the improved ball physics. SCEA Community Manager Ramone Russell said that the engineering team re-wrote the entire code on how a spinning object interacts with such things as a bat, wall or even the field. This should be a game changer when it comes to total realism. 

Speaking of total realism, MLB 12: The Show will feature over 500 new presentation animations, 300 new fielding and base running animations, 150 new batting stances, 75 new pitching motions, and one of my personal favorites, 14 new umpire personalities. I would say SCEA is doing more than their annual due diligence.

There is a reason why The Show is one of the highest rated sports games year in and year out. The folks at SCEA never seem to let us down. They never seem to break anything for the sake of that shiny new back-of-the-box marketing feature. They build off the rock solid foundation that has been in place for so many years, and I’m sure there will be many more features to be announced before the season approaches.

MLB 12 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 21 El_MaYiMbE @ 01/05/12 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolbe
Ramone's always good for some taunting! I gotta admit, I'm really excited to see everyone's reaction to the final announcement... #imalwayswatching

-K
Hey Kolbe you left us! You dont get to post!

Haha just kdiding, glad to see you're seeing through to the end even if its from a distance!

# 22 tnixen @ 01/05/12 04:49 PM
Quote:
Ramone's always good for some taunting! I gotta admit, I'm really excited to see everyone's reaction to the final announcement... #imalwayswatching

-K

O man I wonder what this will be?

I feel like a little kid wordering what's under the christmas tree

# 23 SoxFan01605 @ 01/05/12 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
It's not an X it's a circle.
Ahh...my mistake, thanks. Either way, looking forward to checking it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
They are hard to tell apart sometimes!
heh...don't know why I was thinking I read X. Though with my vision, you might not be too far off base with your comment anyway

# 24 Heroesandvillains @ 01/05/12 05:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
Ahh...my mistake, thanks. Either way, looking forward to checking it out.

heh...don't know why I was thinking I read X. Though with my vision, you might not be too far off base with your comment anyway
Your eye sight is fine! LOL! No need to make any unnecessary eye appointments.

Read the quote on the very first post:

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...awareness.html

# 25 gsize19 @ 01/05/12 05:39 PM
and that is EXACTLY what it should be... IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT!!! If you don't want to pay for a $60 roster update, don't, but why hope for new innovations when these types of wholesale changes is what screws up games for years to come, with bugs and glitches, and takes disk space from bread and butter formats like Franchise... Developers need to stop worrying about what the critics say... Bottom line, people want to play online, and if you want to play online, you will buy the game... If you don't want to play online, stick to last years version or the year before last, but don't hope for changes when we all should know from experience, change in the video game industry= 2-3 years of failures until it is right again...

# 26 Cubfan @ 01/05/12 05:52 PM
Quote:

-K
You can tell us what it is.

# 27 econoodle @ 01/05/12 06:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
I'm glad you guys seem excited we still have a decent amount of info about the game that hasn't been released yet. :-)
I can't wait for that fact sheet to surface.
Its always a good read

# 28 statum71 @ 01/05/12 06:26 PM
No wholesale changes????........ GOOD!!!!
Tweak, tweak, tweak.

Don't break my favorite game.

# 29 PhillsPhan26 @ 01/05/12 06:28 PM
Cant wait.

# 30 BatsareBugs @ 01/05/12 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by econoodle
I can't wait for that fact sheet to surface.
Its always a good read
Now that you mentioned it, I forgot that it should be coming up in a couple of weeks or so. We first got one for MLB '10 and that one came out on January 11, last year's came out on February 20.

# 31 Eman5805 @ 01/05/12 07:18 PM
I refuse to be suckered in by Russell's hype bait. I shall wait with nonplussed breath for the games release.

Any news will have to dazzle me on it's own.

So have I spoken.

# 32 Ripner @ 01/05/12 07:55 PM
I am wondering will there be a setting to use the traditional meter pitching still? I never got the hang of the new analog stick pitching last year and still preferred the traditional meter.

All in all, even if I have to get used to the new pitching mechanism I am still eagerly awaiting March 6th. I've prolly put in at least 200+ hours in MLB 12 and feel it is the best video game out there.

# 33 Knight165 @ 01/05/12 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripner
I am wondering will there be a setting to use the traditional meter pitching still? I never got the hang of the new analog stick pitching last year and still preferred the traditional meter.

All in all, even if I have to get used to the new pitching mechanism I am still eagerly awaiting March 6th. I've prolly put in at least 200+ hours in MLB 12 and feel it is the best video game out there.
Absolutely.

M.K.
Knight165

# 34 nusie @ 01/05/12 08:05 PM
I just want franchise to be fixed so we don't have to do the 30 team control thing, that and let us realign teams and the opportunity to remove teams from competing so that classic rosters would actually have a meaning and we aren't stuck playing a franchise where the Rays are around in 198_.

# 35 humaca80 @ 01/05/12 08:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuseGirl
i didn't kno it did 1080p, my TV always switched to 720 on its own......

but thank god for this game, with a real singular player mode with realistic skill progression and a unique balance between fun and challenging......EA, you need to take notes.....
It plays in 1080p. You just have to force it from the XMB in the PlayStation's menu. Im not sure if it was a considerable drop in the frame rate or what, maybe even a studder in the graphics. On my TV (46inch sammy LCD), forced 1080p looked amazing. Unfortunately, it was impossible to time the hitting and pitching because of the "slowdown".

# 36 Black59Razr @ 01/05/12 08:07 PM
Quote:
...engineering team re-wrote the entire code on how a spinning object interacts with such things as a bat, wall or even the field. This should be a game changer when it comes to total realism...
Very, very exciting news! That is, as long as the defenders do not have pre-disposed knowledge of what the ball is going to do, and as long as the flyball indicator doesn't give it away either. If so, its just window dressing.

# 37 nemesis04 @ 01/05/12 08:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
LOL, actually I was not referring to you but the person who wrote the article since it sounds like he saw it in action. You read it correctly!

# 38 PVarck31 @ 01/05/12 08:15 PM
My bad on the "X" thing guys. Looks like I was wrong about that. Russell confirmed it to be "O".

# 39 CuseGirl @ 01/05/12 08:26 PM
also, will the RTTS free agency issue be fixed. This is basically the one issue that keeps me from getting to age 46 with my RTTS guy (i usually peter out at 33). I kno it sounds childish, but I can't handle being the best player in the league and not getting the contract I deserve from the Yankees who are BOUND to overpay for my services. I want my imaginary 27 million dollar contract, I just do.

# 40 CraterFace @ 01/05/12 08:35 PM
Please fix up franchise mode, maybe less is more, don't care about taking loans from banks or stadium sponsorships. Concentrate on player progression and AI team management. Also why are curveballs so ineffective, they seem to be hit harder than other pitches on average. Maybe a better way of differentiating hangers from yackers? AND FOR THE LUV OF TEBOW'S CHRIST, LET US CHANGE PLAYER POTENTIAL GRADES IN EDIT PLAYER. It's so constraining for franchise progression, plus u guys aren't always on the ball with the weekly roster updates. Otherwise I LUV this product, after a patch of course.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.