Home
Preview
NBA Live 13 Preview

I recently got the chance to see NBA Live 13 in action and while the results weren't the greatest to be sure, there were some helpful tidbits of information you could gather from my initial viewing. The NBA Live 13 team showed us an early pre-alpha version of the game, which according to the Developers,  was 60% complete -- so it was a quite early version of the game which probably won't represent the final product, at least that's the theory I'm working with for now.

The main focus behind NBA Live 13 are three key building blocks which the entire game is being built around for the future: gameplay, presentation, and online.

NBA Live 13 is trying to give the user as much control as possible, with the ability to break out of any animation at any time. The team showed off a triple threat animation and a pass out of a jumper, but it wasn't anything jaw dropping to be sure. Actually, the dunks didn't look bad, but the speed of the moves and the players seemed too fast to me (more on that later).

In the post game, offensive and defensive players are independent of each other, so you will see a variety of animations down low between both players. I wish they would have showed some better examples. Instead, they showed a couple of post game moves with Durant guarding LeBron in the paint. They both banged a little and Bron branched out of it and shot a turnaround jump shot.

The animations looked robotic and not very good at all in the demo. While the overall graphics package looks pretty solid sans-animations, if the animations aren't there then the whole package falls apart quickly. It's entirely possible that this is due to the early build of the game, but what we were shown wasn't up to snuff to be sure.

In the next example, 'Bron does a drop step and the users controller starts to rumble, depending on how hard Durant is trying to push Bron away from the bucket. The controller actually rumbles more if the contact becomes more physical. When timed right, the user will be able to get the drop step and get to the rim. This animation looked a little better and the fingers actually wrapped around the rim on the dunk. Still, nothing really mind blowing here but it is what it is.

While the team showed the offensive moves, they didn't show how the defense can actually defend it. It seemed more offensive friendly, but they did say the defense has a counter for every offensive move and vice versa. Just found it strange, they didn't show any examples of it. Perhaps that is coming later?

Another new feature in Live 13 is a new partnership between EA Sports and Synergy, the official data provider to the NBA. They track all player moves and shots in a database and gives EA access to that database. The AI plays to those strengths and weaknesses, but will also learn from experiences in the game.

They showed some real life footage between the Bulls and Hornets. The footage showed how a certain play the Bulls ran, had a second option if a team defended the first, and the team tended to indicate this dynamic and realistic play depth would make it's way into the game in some form. I found it odd that they showed real life footage, instead of showing it in the game which may indicate the feature isn't fully finished just yet. The Live 13 guys claim they have the tech to make it happen, but that is about as far as they talked about it at this juncture.

ESPN is integrated with the game, so the graphics and transitions are ESPN broadcast quality. When showing the players and teams warm up, it uses the same camera angles ESPN uses during an actual game, and it will be different, depending on arena. Mo-caps were used during pre-game, substitutions, halftime and postgame routines.

Player authenticity was important to the team, as they actually spent a lot of time on each player's likeness. All player accessories have been included, as well as signature emotions from some of the top athletes, however no names were given as to which players got the extra treatment.

Online gaming is another one of the building blocks mentioned by the team and is being treated as very important. NBA LIve 13 will rely on the EA servers to keep everything going smoothly with the plan to keep user experiences fresh with new updates all season long.

Jeff Van Gundy and Mike Breen lead the way with their commentary in the game. While it was difficult to hear, because of some audio issues with the build we were shown, from what I did hear, it seemed fine, at least during the intros. During gameplay, the volume was turned down and I couldn't really hear anything.

During the gameplay, I noticed no off the ball player movement. I mean none. But the Developers stated they simply wanted to show off the passing, so plays were not being run. Another head scratcher to me as this made the game look a little ridiculous. They showed a signature shot from LeBron James, but it didn't look very natural to me at all. In fact, many of the animations seemed to skip frames, it just wasn't fluid. While zooming into player heads, facial hair and tattoos looked great, the gameplay was simply just not worth showing at this time. It's possible/likely this will be cleaned up before launch, but it's worth noting we simply weren't shown much to impress us on the gameplay just yet.

The game seemed too fast. Actually, it looked more arcady to me than sim. Players moved too fast and the developers stated there were no plans at this time to add a speed slider. That is not a good sign for sure. They are implementing a collision system, but they didn't show it at all. It almost seemed like they were more interested in showing off the graphics than actual gameplay.  I came away disappointed as Live 13 was actually my most anticipated game to see coming into E3. The team admitted there were some bugs within the build they displayed, but also claim the foundation has been set and the bugs we saw will be fixed.

Hopefully I get to see a more recent build in the coming months to get a more accurate preview. For now I just have to call it how I see it and the game simply wasn't ready for prime time in my initial viewing. We'll see how it shapes up in the coming months.

NBA Live 13 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 Amedu @ 06/05/12 05:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandlerbang
They need to steal 2k's animation tech
i know right!

# 62 22cedric @ 06/05/12 05:28 PM
Even though NBA Live 13 is still in it's ealy stages i'm glad EA Sports wants to make great strides with NBA Live's comeback this year & I hope the NBA Live dev team will address these issues before the game is shipped.

# 63 wallofhate @ 06/05/12 05:33 PM
Disappointing is all I can say. Im not a live fan but the more (good) games we have to choose from the better. I never question anyones work ethic or drive but 2 years to work on things I would have figured them to be leaps and bounds over any of its previous lives. The pics look devent I guess faces look on point somewhat but the body types and hunchback stances combined with the weird animations is what plagued this franchise for years. If anything I figured they would definitely fix those things and have new nagging problems which I would have accepted but to have these issues reoccur it shows why this title has been forced into dormancy in the first place

# 64 weylum @ 06/05/12 05:35 PM
Looks like it might be another year of Robotball.

I feel that even though they had extra development time, the goal was still to make a widely accessible, pick-up-and-play type game, and that's why EA lags behind in the gameplay department. Say what you will about 2k, but their game has a lot of nuance and style, personality even. EA's game feels a tad lifeless, very techie and choppy. Maybe it's the animations, I don't know. But I was really looking forward to a nice rebound from them.

Things could get very interesting when and if they drop the demo

# 65 chi_hawks @ 06/05/12 05:43 PM
I think EA is heading in the right direction here, but doesn't it seem like we have heard this all before (NBA Elite).

Wonder what the odds are they end up cancelling this game yet again?

# 66 EAGLESFAN10 @ 06/05/12 05:47 PM
EVERYBODY chill out they got this and after looking at 2k their fans are not very satisfied either

# 67 noshun @ 06/05/12 06:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22cedric
Even though NBA Live 13 is still in it's ealy stages i'm glad EA Sports wants to make great strides with NBA Live's comeback this year & I hope the NBA Live dev team will address these issues before the game is shipped.
I guess you'll be okay with this, a lot of other won't though, myself included.

# 68 DaReapa @ 06/05/12 06:10 PM
From what I've gathered from the initial impressions, let's be honest here. The game may be only 60% complete, but perhaps aside from a little cosmetic touch up, I highly doubt if much will be changed in terms of gameplay and animation within the next 4 months leading to the game's release. Even though I haven't touched an NBA Live game since Live 04, I was really hoping EA would come out swinging given the presumably 2 years of development time. It seems to me that this game has even taken a step backwards from what the last proper Live ('10) offered. No progression whatsoever. Apparantly the base has been laid for the franchise moving forward. So EA may want to consider taking another year off after this release and dedicated development solely to polishing - nothing more, or things may be going downhill quickly for the future of the franchise. Granted, I'm not much of a Live fan, and this is even disappointing to me. I can only imagine what its true fanbase is feeling upon seeing this.

# 69 Bearsfan1 @ 06/05/12 06:18 PM
It's EA that's the problem though. They haven't made a good Madden game since the early 2000's. Every game has been virtually the same, just a roster update and one new "Awesome feature" that they claim on every release.

What plagues Madden is much the same as to what plagues NBA Live. The sliding, the weird crouches, the goofy canned animations, the bad commentating. It's all been pretty much the same issues.

It looks like graphically, the game is going to be better, judging by the faces, but Gameplay is the most important feature to any game, and right now, it doesn't sound too promising based off of this report and what's been thrown out there by EA.

# 70 22cedric @ 06/05/12 06:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickhandz
OH YEA AND THOSE SAYING ITS EARLY BUILD GET THAT OUT YOUR HEADS!! WHAT IT IS NOW IS WHAT IS GOING TO BE RELEASED IN OCTOBER, there is not enough time for any brush ups ONLY 4 months left.
AND 2K13 AT E3 IS GOING TO BE THE SAME IN OCTOBER
I disagree with your statement since the NBA Live & NBA 2K devs said they will be addressing the issues with their game before it's shipped so i'm still hopeful.

# 71 NoTiCe_O @ 06/05/12 06:30 PM
I honestly feel like EA isn't capable of making a fundamentally and visually solid basketball game.

I owned Live 10, and while it wasn't terrible its still lacked alot of animations, and there were a lot of weird animations, and speed warps and what not. The dribbling was fun but not enough.

I've grown up on Live, but what's it come to is just pitiful really. Just like Madden got an all new physics systems, NBA Live needs an all new animation system. I can't believe that after a 2 year (almost 3) delay, this is the kind of preview the game gets.

SMH

# 72 Greene_Flash03 @ 06/05/12 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTiCe_O
I honestly feel like EA isn't capable of making a fundamentally and visually solid basketball game.

I owned Live 10, and while it wasn't terrible its still lacked alot of animations, and there were a lot of weird animations, and speed warps and what not. The dribbling was fun but not enough.

I've grown up on Live, but what's it come to is just pitiful really. Just like Madden got an all new physics systems, NBA Live needs an all new animation system. I can't believe that after a 2 year (almost 3) delay, this is the kind of preview the game gets.

SMH
This.

# 73 DaReapa @ 06/05/12 06:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chandlerbang
They need to steal 2k's animation tech
...and improve upon it. It's more lifelike, no doubt, but with the jerkiness and all the sliding going on, it's nothing to brag about either.

On another note, I wonder what Da Czar had to say upon seeing this, if he hadn't already demo'ed it for himself.

# 74 JODYE @ 06/05/12 06:39 PM
Agree with Notice 100%

I grew up playing Live, and my earliest memories of basketball gaming come from playing it so I guess deep down I really want to see them return to glory. It really is a shame to see that it has been reduced to what it is. I just don't understand how on next gen they just haven't been able to figure it out.

Agree, they need a complete makeover. Start from scratch. This is getting embarrassing at this point.

# 75 TreyIM2 @ 06/05/12 06:42 PM
Quote:

SMH
Live 10 was actually a step in the right direction. If they could have improved what was there and implemented the RTP and control scheme of Elite 11 while keeping a realistic animation frame rate to produce Live 13, which still could be a reality since it's still early, then shown THAT at E3, I think the writer would have come away with a much better impression.

That being said, I think I was a bit harsh earlier, expecting much more from a self imposed hiatus of sorts. I was already ticked from reading the first interview way back of the "head Live guy" saying how they mostly didn't start devving the game until late last year after getting their direction and ppl in place to start working on the game.
EA has some serious tech that's been in development and implemented already in such games as NHL, FIFA and Madden so I FULLY expect Live 14 to run a bit more amuck with the use of it. I have to say, EA IS getting me excited with what they're doing, overall, with their sports games. Wooooooosaaaaaaa.....

# 76 22cedric @ 06/05/12 06:42 PM
Quote:

SMH
They're adding tons more signature animations,celebrations etc to NBA Live 13 this year. A collision system is also being added.

# 77 22cedric @ 06/05/12 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13.
Agree with Notice 100%

I grew up playing Live, and my earliest memories of basketball gaming come from playing it so I guess deep down I really want to see them return to glory. It really is a shame to see that it has been reduced to what it is. I just don't understand how on next gen they just haven't been able to figure it out.

Agree, they need a complete makeover. Start from scratch. This is getting embarrassing at this point.
They don't need to start from scratch because if they do it will be alot of rewrites & the quality & depth of the game would decrease.

# 78 İroke @ 06/05/12 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzyk23
Man, they had 2 years and a great foundation with Live 10. They will never catch a break here on OS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
Im sorry sir... but they had extra dev time.. .if they screwed that up in anyway at all, they'll be lambasted

Right now, people don't believe in EA basketball, and nobody created that but EA... and rightfully so, you earn respect and trust

Right now, I wouldnt look for too many positive onlookers, especially with reading something like this

2 years is enough time to make a good game man. If its not this bad, so be it and they'll get credit for whats right, but there are no more excuses...

Don't forget why
I know the had more than 2 years, and trust me, I expected a big leap. I wan't trying to make an excuse I agree with you guys saying that they needed to do better having 2+ years of development.

What I was trying to say, and maybe I couldn't find the right words, it's that no matter how many time you had. If you still have time to polish things, you can't say that your game is complete. The problem here is that EA apparently didn't show something really good.

I'm sorry if I misspoke. I hope you can understand my point this time

# 79 JODYE @ 06/05/12 06:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22cedric
They're adding tons more signature animations,celebrations etc to NBA Live 13 this year. A collision system is also being added.
Oh wow, more paint on a turd.

It's all talk we've heard for years.

# 80 mlp111 @ 06/05/12 07:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EAGLESFAN10
EVERYBODY chill out they got this and after looking at 2k their fans are not very satisfied either
Not really satisfied, but our guy, you know Mike Wang, the one who made your game live 10 a success, gave us some hope, and read the 2k13 thread and responded to the negativity, not saying that everyone will believe him, but its nice to see a dev actually chime in and we can trust the Wang lol, but where is the nba live 13 devs now, are they going to chime in, i know they have read or seen this thread? As a guy who was looking forward to buying both games this year for there differences, I/we needs some answers and clearing up from live 13 devs

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.